• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

[V20] Maiden, Mother, Crone

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Álvaro hung up and stared at his phone for a moment, thoughts of what was to come swarming through his mind. Putting his phone back in his pocket, he turned back to the car where Ramón and C.C. waited for him.

"Change of plans fellas." With little explanation from his part, he instructed his companions to drive him to Admiral Zheng's.

Bela & Justine

The man hesitates before responding. Had he been mortal, he would likely have drawn a deep breath here, but now such things are beneath him. "Fear," he states simply. "I remember a terror so great that it blotted out all other thought. Somehow I must have called for help and my call been heard by... by Madame Adler. I don't know how I did so or why I called to her. It is a blur."

Susan

A text tricks in several minutes after her own was sent off

Else O'Connor
me
It's Susan Rosenthal. I don't have much yet but I'm investigating. I would like to touch bases with you in two hours, if that time's convenient, to see what we've collectively learned. Time is short, after all. Please call or email me at Susan.Rosenthal@mpcllc.com at your pleasure.
them
In two hours at my place is fine.

Landon

Roberts sighs, "nah, we're waiting for the lock-guy to come down from the station, but apparently he's a bit backed up. And since this disgusting mess is a few days old, we're not an immediate priority for his time. Do... Do you have someone you can call who can call the Chief? You know, to make things smooth out a bit."

Álvaro & Susan

Admiral Zheng's 24 hour Chinese Food is a fixture of Cleveland's fast food. An equalizer between high and low, it's one of very few places that serve food of a decent price and quality at all times of night, come hell or high water, the noodles will keep boiling and the woks will keep frying. Located on the border of Asia Town proper, its central location keeps it in business, and though it looks like a place that's perpetually at the edge of bankruptcy, it is not actually going anywhere.

Last edited:
By the time Álvaro and the gang arrive, Susan Rosenthal is seated at a table with a napkin folded neatly on her lap to protect her rather nice black dress. She hasn't set aside her charcoal dress coat, of course, because she doesn't actually have any intention of eating anything. Nonetheless, she has a pair of menus, though if Álvaro approaches with minions in tow, she quickly signals for more. She's never been the entourage kind of Kindred, of course. But places like this are a good reason to have them. Having people actually eating goes a long way towards attracting attention.

"You look well, Mr. Ahumada. I hope your night's been productive." Although it's not phrased as a question, there's a distinct lift of her eyebrows, inviting inquiry.

Álvaro instructed his companions to wait for him in the car, not ready for a couple of mortals to eavesdrop in what surely would be a conversation risky to the Masquerade. Stepping into the establishment he looked around for lady Rosenthal. He spotted her waiting for him and walked in her direction, taking a seat across from her.

"Still early to tell. Tell me, do we have any leads to follow or are we're knocking on a few doors in hopes of finding some answers?"

"A little of both, I think." When a waitress stops by to take their order, Susan simply looks at the woman and says "Leave." Then she sets her menu down and folds her hands on top of it as she leans forward slightly, giving Álvaro her full attention.

"As you're well aware, our rural acquaintances have given us a month to find what they warned us about before they take matters into their own hands. This restaurant has an excellent reputation, not just for the food but for its quality of service. If anyone has an ear to strange happenings in our fair city, it would be our excellent hosts. Hopefully, they'll deign to visit with us soon. Otherwise, I'll have to see if management is available."

Each word is more or less innocuous, save perhaps for 'strange happenings'. Nonetheless, her statements to Álvaro are both obvious and obviously for the benefit of an expected listening third party. Who would hopefully dispense with the waiting game soon. Susan feels a tinge of regret that she hasn't had occasion to consult with the Nosferatu sooner, to avoid the unpleasantness of negotiating an invitation like this.

The waitress, a raven-haired beauty in her early twenties whose nametag identifies her as 'Cleo,' returns to their table shortly after being sent away holding a piece of folded, laminated cardboard that looks exactly like the menu Susan has so recently set down. "I'm sorry," she offers before either of the two vampires can interject, "you are free to order off the special menu," she says and puts it down between them before turning away.

While the menu is no more special than the one everyone else orders off, within its folds is a piece of paper upon which is written in a rushed hand: 'That's quite the open question, Keeper, but you may want to check out this warehouse on the docks. One of our Outlander friends is there already, as are the cops, but it's some weird shit. If that doesn't tickle you, and you can pay for her time, ask Cleo.' An address is scribbled below.

Landon

"Might have someone who could do that - I'll send him a text, see if he's awake." Steps can be heard through the phone as he makes his way back towards the entry. "A few days old, you said - got more details already? Thought I'd seen a fair share of stuff - but hell, this is different."

Álvaro didn't pay much attention to the waitress, that is, until she returned with the hidden note in the menu. She let Susan read it before he could take it for a closer look. After reading it all, he puts it down on the table and takes a deep breath. "Looks like someone laid out some bread crumbs for us..."

Susan accepts the 'special menu' with the patient charm of someone used to being waited on. It's a trait she's somewhat conscious of, a trait she's learned to consciously suppress. And it's a trait she needs to suppress more often. The wealth and privilege of her mortal life meant very little in Kindred society. Her upbringing could be counterproductive in properly ingratiating herself with her 'betters'. And while she had enough pride and confidence in herself and her abilities, Susan knew well the lesson that winning every battle often meant losing the campaign. There were better uses of her time than territorial posturing.

Such as tonight. She'd come in here expecting answers, even demanding them. Fortunately, the Nosferau had seen fit to humor her. But now she owed them. They were valuable enough allies, she should not only consider prioritizing the repayment of that favor but finding a way to win their...well, not their trust (being what she was) but at least their favor.

With a sigh, the Lasombra pushes the note to Álvaro, lets him read it and then nods at his comment. "Something tells me these bread crumbs may actually be useful. Our hosts are no stranger to strange. Anything they would characterize as..." She wrinkles her nose in distaste and ducks the phrase 'weird shit' by saying "I don't imagine either of us are especially fond of the police, Mr. Ahumada but let's see what there is to see, shall we? If nothing else, I can get us through any perimeter they care to erect."

She scoots her chair back and rises. Reaching into her purse, she fishes out a money clip and tucks a small bundle of bills into the menu where the note was left, approximately a thousand dollars. Then Susan tilts her head towards the door. "Shall we?"

Bela Dragosani

Bela pauses in thought. This exercise is beginning to seem futile.
"Does he sound honest to you, Madame Adler?" he asks, confident she may have more immediately effective incentives in her repertoire.

Álvaro gave a slight nod and motioned to stand up.

"Let's do this, I'll follow you" He exited the establishment and went back to his car, where he instructed C.C. to follow Susan's car to the appointed address.

"Truth, yes, but not the whole truth."

Justine lays hands on the man again. This time her grip is harder. "Listen to me now, my sweet. I want you to think back to what you've seen me do to the last person who was less than completely honest with me while under my roof. I want you to remember how much pain she was in by the end. And know this: that was just a friendly warning. It is not one-tenth of what I could inflict on you." She lets that sink it, before her touch becomes a caress again. "But I don't want to do that to you, Christopher. I don't want you to have to experience any more suffering than necessary. You are very dear to me, Christopher. And you're a strong, intelligent man. I know you won't fail." She bends to kiss him gently on the forehead, letting perfumed locks of hair brush his face.

As she pulls away, she raises one hand to wipe her mouth. "Now...describe the place where you were held. How big was the space? Were there windows? Doors?"

Susan & Álvaro
Once entered into Susan's GPS system, she quickly learns that the offered address is on the docks. A warehouse-complex by the old railroad tracks that would once have been a hub between goods coming in at the harbor, and goods leaving the city by train. As they approach the area, it becomes clear that it's probably been quite some time since the warehouse has served in this capacity.

Right at this moment, however, the most noticable thing about it is that it is surrounded by police tape, police cars, and police officers. To Álvaro's practiced eye, though, the cops aren't anything too special. Ordinary beat cops having a very long shift and a probably single detective, perhaps two. Of the mentioned Outlander there is no immediate sign, but the police woman closest to their approach picks up a radio when the cars approach.

Landon
"Yeah, the ME was pretty quick to call that one, also accounts for the stench." Roberts hangs up and shortly afterwards the two men are reunited outside.

"Your guy works fast," is the first thing the detective says when Landon exits the warehouse. "Reynolds just radio'ed in, apparently there's a couple of civilian cars approaching that have no business being here. What the hell's going on, man?"

Justine & Bela
Christopher is like a finely tuned instrument under Justine's ministrations. Were he mortal, his every nerve-ending would be standing on edge, the blood would pump heavily in his veins and sweat would cover his body. Being undead, it is his Beast she feels reach out to him, hovering on the very edge of the man's consciousness.

"Quite... quite large," he begins - uncertain, but keeping it together by the skin of his teeth - "an open room with a high ceiling. No windows, but the droning of a ventilation system. Doors... I don't know. There must have been, mustn't there? I remember others. Screaming, moaning, crying out in pain. There was someone. A man, I think, walking around me, touching, cutting, feeding. I bled. We must all have bled. He bled. He bled and I drank his blood."

Others, Justine mouths silently at Bela, with a worried frown, before turning her attention back to Nelson. "How many others, would you guess? Did the voices sound like a few, or a lot?" Her hands move over the fledgling's body as she speaks, finding sensitive points, delivering disorienting jolts of pleasure and pain.

"And this man, this breeder of captives -- describe him."

Landon Scott

A shrug does not quite hide the wariness - his eyes quickly search the surrounding rooftops for a certain crow. "Might have been in the area already - or might not be him, he didn't respond yet. Guess we'll see in a sec." With his burnt hand hidden in his pocket, he turns to find Reynolds, and thus the arriving vehicles as well. "Couldn't tell you what's happening, even if I wanted - things are messed up, that much's obvious. People don't do rituals like that - and even if, why not burn down the place afterwards? Either something interrupted them, or they wanted us to find it." As he strolls towards the police line, he makes sure to keep his voice low enough that only Roberts can hear him. "Would probably be best to forget about everything, but we both know that's not going to happen. If someone out there wants to be found, we'll do him that favor and put things straight."

This is not the part of town Susan cares to visit. She's a thoroughly urbane creature and quite thoroughly upper class. She likes to imagine that doesn't make her a snob but she's quite aware that she's probably wrong. Certainly it takes an act of will to turn up her lip and grimace as the car rolls into the kind of area that even locking your car might not keep your property safe.

She lets her Tesla creep up in the least threatening manner possible to the police woman on the radio. She then parks it and waits gamely for the police to approach her. Assuming the officer seems mortal enough, Susan puts on her brightest, most approachable expression, listens to the likely rote warning about civilians clearing off and then she takes advantage of their good eye contact. "I understand, officer, you're here to do your job. So are we. Clearly we're here for your investigation. Let the other police here know to cooperate with us, that you've cleared us. We'll turn over any results we find to the head detective in there so there is no need to follow up or even think about us again."

OOC: Jedi Mind Tricks via Mesmerize. With 3 (or 4?) successes, that's one effective Mesmerize!

Justine & Bela
Christopher gasps under Justine's hands. Between Hunger, the burgeoning Blood Bond, and the twin stimulations of pain and pleasure, he is quite out of it. "The voices were like one," he begins, "each taking over when before the other stopped. There could be a dozen or a hundred. And Him. I don't know what to say. When he was in the room, he drew all eyes to him, but we were tied down and in pain, so we couldn't see. Though I could never see him, I always knew where he was. Except once. I hadn't noticed him come in, perhaps it was all too much, but suddenly he was there, looking down at me. He had clear blue eyes, skin the color of marble, a lined face, and though he looked no older than I do, it was as if he looked at me from the beginning of time."

Susan & Álvaro
The woman gets that familiar far-off look on her face, but quickly composes herself. "Right you are, ma'am," she says, clearly trying to convey more certainty than she really feels into her words, "you should see Detective Roberts," she adds indicating a man in a tan trenchcoat talking softly with another who looks as out of place here as she and Álvaro do.

Landon
Apparently, Officer Reynolds is less keen to halt the progress of these two, and soon a well-dressed woman and a rather less so man approach Scott and Roberts.

"Very good," Justine croons. "I am pleased with you, Christopher." Lifting his head, she allows him to suck the last few pathetic drops remaining at the bottom of the blood bag before her hands continue their ministrations. "Did this man speak? Attempt to communicate or give orders in any way?"

Álvaro had reasons not to draw the attention of any police officers, and gave instructions to Ramón and C.C. to keep their distance as they approached the address they had been given. His fears were soon diminished however, as Susan made use of her clan's gifts and procured an opening for the two of them to get close and dirty. Still a bit wary, he stood behind Susan as the two approached Detective Rogers.

With a nod to Álvaro, Susan steps across the crumbling pavement, old railroad tracks and the filthy debris of urban decay. Ugh. She really hadn't worn the right shoes for this little outing.

Approaching the presumed Head Detective, Susan drew up just short of the two men and exchanged looks with Álvaro. "Good evening," she said, once again taking the lead in the conversation. "I'm Amanda Fitton. This is my associate, Luis Reyes. The fact that we're here means you have something unusual on your hands. Why don't you show us what you have?"

'Amanda' puts on her very best professional smile, something that she has decades of practice at thankfully.

OOC: Using Command to be bumped along to the crime scene. She's reasoning he won't have too much of an objection, given he's seen them be passed through the police line, which presumably means their credentials check out. 3 (or 5) successes for efficacy.

His eyes muster the uneven duo with unhidden wariness, and his expression is not too welcoming. "With all due respect, Miss Fitton - perhaps, you might want to share why the unusual is within your area of expertise. One person without a badge on site is already too much for some, and you don't look too prepared for what's inside." As his hand points at the building behind them, his fingers produce the distinct sound of latex rubbing on latex, turining some attention on the blue glove he's wearing.

'Amanda' turns slightly, facing the other vampire. His presumably unkempt appearance drew the merest trace of disapproval, and it could very well be the look of any agent sizing up a man who didn't look like he belonged here either. "My partner and I aren't claiming jurisdiction here, so our precise skillset shouldn't be an issue. We may, however, be in a position to shed some light on what's happening here. Assuming that light isn't daylight because we spent the night answering questions instead of moving this investigation along." Her eyes drift to the latex gloves and she shrugs. "If we need to handle evidence, we'll get some gloves from one of the officers out front. Before we put the cart in front of the horse, why don't you show us what you have?"

OOC: Yet another Command. Susan's not fond of one-shotting every problem with Domination, nor is her player (as dice are fickle) but there seems to be little other recourse here. And yeah, with a single success, not a lot of juice. Ooof.

A hesitant nod is his first response - instead of leading the way, however, the vampire steps forward ever so slightly. With his own body blocking Roberts' view, he frees his burnt hand from the pocket's embrace. Not a wound that would stop him or his kin, though also not an ordinary injury either - if they can tell the difference. "Take a look at this - nothing dangerous, just ordinary blood." He gives both of them enough time to take a look, before hiding away what might provoke unwelcome questions. "It's a mess in there - nothing a human being would do. No police officer should ever have to see something like that."

Turning to Roberts and noting his lack of resistance thus far, his hand once more shows off the blue latex. "I'll fetch them some of these." As he steps away, he motions either of them to follow, heading in a direction that might let him find gloves, but certainly puts some distance between him and any nearby human. If at least on of the vampires follows, his lowered voice will form just a handful of words. "Does Matt White ring a bell, perhaps?"

Silanon Silanon
Susan witnesses the revelation of Landon's burned hand with only the faintest drawing together of eyebrows. One of those eyebrows lifts curiously at the 'nothing a human being would do' phrase. In the city, that was a truly unusual statement, unless the man was engaging in some hyperbole. She smiles slightly at the warning. "We've seen worse things than most police officers, to say nothing of most human beings."

When the strange man offers to find them gloves, Susan shrugs and follows gamely along. If nothing else, it will add an authentic touch to make their presence more believable to the others around here. Dress the part and all that. Then the man mentions a Matt White and Susan's frowning again. "I know a great many Matts, Matthews, Matthiases and the like. I don't think I know a Mr. White, though." Her composure slips slightly as her lips curve upwards in another gentle smile. "Does a Matthias Black ring a bell, perhaps?"

Another Kindred then? Interesting. What's the connection between this werewolf mumbojumbo and a police scene?

Last edited:
Justine & Bela

Christopher lifts his head as the empty blood bag is removed, desperately hungry for even the hint of vitae. "Never to me," he says regretfully once the bag is gone. "Once, though, I heard him speak in what felt like the center of the room. The words were in Latin, and addled as I was, I don't remember them exactly. All I can recall are fragments. 'we will be hunted,' 'the old ones will wake up,' and this last thing he spoke with more certainty: 'the Crone will awaken and consume all.'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back