• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Trial By Fire - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
dv = defense Value. So we just need 6 to beat it.

But the same question for Soak.

Here's what ya do!

Attack roll! Say you get 14 successes.

The DV was 6.

Everything after 6 is threshold successes.

So you would have 8 threshold successes.

Now you subtract the soak. Which here is 12.

8 doesnt cut the mustard, sadly.

However! Weapons have an Overwhelming rating.

If you beat the DV but cant get over the soak. Or your Overwhelming rating is higher. You roll your Overwhelming instead.

Let's say you have a weapon with overwhelming 1.

Even after all of that and being denied by the soak... you would still get to roll 1 die of damage.

Hold up. That's close but not quite right.

Let's stick to withering attacks right now to keep things simpler for you. A withering attack is rolled vs DV as D. Rex said. Your pool is Dexterity + Weapon Skill (For you perhaps Archery?) + Weapon Accuracy (For a bow, look up your accuracy by range. You're at Short range, so probably +4).

Let's say you're a master archer and you have Dex 5 and Archery 5. At Short Range that would be 14 dice. If you stunt and get at least a minor, that's two more dice, so 16.

Once you roll your 16 dice to hit, you find out if you hit or not. Like D. Rex said, let's say you roll a whopping 14 hits on your 16 dice. First off, well done. Second, we hit with 8 threshold successes (14 hits - 6 DV), so we'll add that to our damage. Our damage will be our weapon's base damage (a Medium Ranged weapon has a base damage of 9) plus our Strength. Let's say we have Str 3. So that means our damage is 9 + 3 + 8, or 20. Now we subtract the soak of our target, in this case 15. If the result is less than the Overwhelming value of our weapon (for non artifacts that's 1 or maybe 2), we use the Overwhelming value. For you that's unlikely to be relevant, except you can't roll fewer than 1 damage dice if you hit.

Since our total damage (20 damage - soak 15) was 5, we roll 5 dice of damage. Hits on these dice are actual damage we subtract from the target's initiative and add to our own.

If you have Dex 5 Archery 5 you can also go full nova and put 10 motes into the Archery Excellency. That gets you to 5 + 5 + 4 + 2 + 10 = 26 dice on your attack! 27 with an applicable specialty. That makes scoring a whopping 14 hits a lot more plausible.

You automatically regain 5 motes of essence every combat round, so you usually want to spend at least that much, but it's fairly easy to run out if you're spending on defense and offense every round.

I think you can only take reflexive, supplemental and miscellaneous actions while playing your Battle Anthem, so if it's not a simpla ction you should be good.

I think you can only take reflexive, supplemental and miscellaneous actions while playing your Battle Anthem, so if it's not a simpla ction you should be good.
Normally. But I might be able to argue it could be stunted and flurried, given that its played on a string instrument and that Bard can use kiai attacks with said instrument.

It's not that he is doing something completely different. But instead using the very song he is playing to attack.

Took me some time. I started before i even knew the octopus tentacles were a thing. Just added those on top of the rest lol

Sherwood Sherwood

Human's inquiry reminded me of a question.

Kiai attacks have the "thrown" tag. And thrown weapons cannot be used to parry. But the given the odd nature of Kiai, with an appropriate stunt, could a kiai wave be used to block a weapon? For example, a shout to block am incoming sword.

The designers definitely expected SVNS to be used with Evasion or unarmed Parry, but you could certainly incorporate a deflecting/distracting kiai into your evasion stunt.

Thanks for jumping in and answering the questions tossed out. I've been spending the afternoon with the fam, celebrating my wife's birthday. I will NOT divulge just how many times around the sun she's gone . . . I wish to continue to live with all of my body parts attached. Besides, ladies don't have ages, just birthdays.

We have both a Dawn and a Full Moon. As soon as they decide it's time to do big damage, this will go a lot faster. Also, with stacking onslaught penalties from all of us attacking this will speed up some.

You should consider maybe going for a Death of Obsidian Butterflies if you dont think you can get a good withering through. If you can make its damage higher than the octopus' hardness, it's a way to get some through.

I have not looked up how spells work. Also at the same time, I'm not sure Thallus would go that far yet. He's fairly new to being Exalted (If it's plausible to have been awakened later in life) or he's not ready to show off sorcery.

Celestial exaltations can happen at any point in ones life. Had a character in a previous campaign who had his Second Breath in his late 50's.

If you do want to cast a spell, it is fairly simple. Death of Obsidian Butterflies has a cost of 1 WP and 15 SM (sorcerous motes). To cast it you must pay a willpower and start a Shape Sorcery action which is a intelligence + occult roll. For every success you get on the roll you gain a SM, so if you want to cast it quickly then stacking as many dice adders and tricks as you can is not a bad idea. If you do not get to the 15 in your first turn, you will have to continue the roll on your next. Then when you successfully cast the spell you get your willpower back.

There's also ways of getting some SM beforehand through your Shaping Ritual, but i don't think you've chosen one yet so don't sweat that right this moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back