• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Two threshold successes gives me 17 Raw Damage. Subtracting soak leaves me with 4 damage dice (Guardian Host's Overwhelming value).

2 successes, giving me 3 initiative and taking 2 from DK Swordsman.

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40
Anima: Glowing

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_],
-3: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

The Deathknight with the sword gives a wicked grin to Kuaidao, obviously reveling in the 'fun' of the swordplay.

From seemingly out of nowhere in front of Spider, an arrow comes flying out, aimed right at your heart! It is a Withering attack, with 14 successes to hit. What defense do you wish to apply to this?

Swinging the sword around rapidly, the heavy Daiklave swings out at Kuaidao with a Withering attack. It only manages to score 7 successes to hit. What defense do you wish to use?

Psychie Psychie and jaydude jaydude need to declare a defense, the we move onto Random Word Random Word and Maja

Initiative Order for Round 1
[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
7 - Maja <====
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2
20 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider
7 - DK Blade
2 - Rory

Last edited:
Kuaidao's eyes widened slightly as he saw the blade coming towards him far quicker than he would have expected for a weapon of that size. He had the instincts of a veteran warrior though, and he bought his own weapon back around to deflect his opponent's attack, sending it harmlessly over his head.

[Kuaidao's Parry is 7, with a one point stunt sufficient to bring it up to 8. Also going to use Dipping Swallow Defense, allowing me to gain a point of initiative for successfully parrying.]

Peripheral Essence: 28/40
Anima: Glowing

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Blade meets blade in a loud clang and a shower of sparks, but despite the size of the sword being used against you, Kuaidao holds his ground and pushes the other Exalt back.

Still holding on Psychie Psychie for her defense, then we move on to Random Word Random Word

[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
7 - Maja <====
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2
20 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider
7 - DK Blade
2 - Rory

Spider's eyes widen as the bowman vanishes, then she reminds herself that this is another Exalt, and she should expect some Essence-powered trickery. Spiraling the chain in a rapid motion, the Lunar tries to knock the deadly arrow to the side before it hits.

Normal Parry DV is 7, with a +1 from my stunt. Soak is 21 due to my DBT being active.
Hybrid Body Transformation and DBT active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 6

Personal: 17 / 14
Peripheral: 42 (32) / 18
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

Last edited:
Thanks to the inherent durability of Luna's Chosen, the arrow finds no purchase in your thick hide.

Random Word Random Word is up

[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
7 - Maja <====
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2
20 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider
9 - DK Bowman
7 - DK Blade
2 - Rory

The one with the bow looks like prey. The one with the sword definitely does not. Maja dissolves into Spider's shadow, trailing silently along behind her, intent on pinning the prey in place while Spider runs it through. As expected of canny prey, it goes to ground with cunning and subterfuge, but though its dead heart does not beat and its lungs do not breathe Maja can still smell it, feel the almost imperceptible shifts in the air induced by its motions, feel the tiny vibrations in the earth from its footfalls. The hunt is on, and she feels the exhilaration coursing through her veins.

Not sure what the difficulty is, so this might be overkill.
4m Perception Excellency
Perception 5 + Awareness 3 + Keen Hearing 2 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4 = 16; 7 Successes
Health Levels:
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ]
- Incap

Willpower: 8
Essence: 1
Personal: 17
Peripheral: 22/42
Committed: 7+5(DBT)

Join Battle: 8

Parry: 4 [5 if Grappling]
Evasion: 1 (0 in war form)
Resolve: 4 [5 if mind-altering magic]
Guile: 4

Natural Soak: 5 (10 in war form)
Armored Soak: 0
Hardness: 0

Weapons:

Unarmed
Withering Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] + Accuracy(4) = 12 [13]; Decisive Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] = 8 [9]
Withering Damage: 12(1), 19(2) in war form.
Tags: Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural (Lethal + Piercing for Claws + Fangs)

Armor
None

Even with the power of her Essence expanding her abilities, the archer is just barely detectable. She is in Close range to Spider and yourself, and you can make an attack without any penalties. What do you do?

Random Word Random Word

Maja's slitted pupils dilate as she spots her prey, honing in instinctively on the subtle flaws in its stance induced by its hasty evasion, the way its retreat into shadow has left it backed into a corner with few avenues for evasion. She chooses her angle carefully, coiling her legs to hurl herself bodily into the archer, slamming them both into the wall behind, tumbling in a tangle of limbs as she attempts to wrap her tails around her victim to pin them in place.

Grapple Gambit, so Decisive Attack
Maja's not the best fighter, so she'll put everything into trying to land this hit. I don't think the Abyssal can perfect twice in a row, assuming that's what she did against Spider.
10m Strength + Perception Excellency, 1wp
Strength 5 + Brawl 4 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 10 = 21; 13 hits
Health Levels:
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ]
- Incap

Personal: 7/17
Peripheral: 22/42

Weapons:

Unarmed
Withering Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] + Accuracy(4) = 12 [13]; Decisive Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] = 8 [9]

Armor
None

With a sudden burst of speed, Maja leaps out of Spiders' shadow and slams into the Deathknight. She must have been depending on her stealth to keep her safe, but you saw through that.

OOC I'm not used to the Grapple Gambit, so I'm going to go slow so I can double check myself. It costs you 3 initiative to perform, so it drops you to a 4, but you now have control of the archer, and she is no longer hidden. Also, until you lose your grip, the two of you are now both -2 to your DV values. Now, on this turn and each successive turn you maintain control, you can Savage your target vs a DV 0.

[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
7 - Maja <====
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2
20 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider
9 - DK Bowman
7 - DK Blade
4 - Maja
2 - Rory

Maja hits the archer hard and they both go through the flimsy wall of a nearby house in a hail of splinters. By the time they impact on the floor inside Maja has her prey's limbs tightly bound in the vise-like grip of her surprisingly strong tails, her boundless endurance allowing her to effortlessly hold her prey in place while it exhausts itself struggling in vain. With a blood curdling roar, fangs bared and spittle flying, she lifts it bodily by the neck and drives her claws repeatedly into its armoured chest while ensuring its back is exposed to Spider and it can't escape.

Okay, so I'll flurry a Threaten with the gambit for free since I have Terrifying Voice. The gambit hit, so now I roll initiative. 7i, need 2 hits (Scored 4, passed). Then it's opposed Brawl + Strength against the Deathknight for rounds of control, then Maja will Withering Savage with Piercing to try to get her initiative back up to somewhere safe.

Appearance 6 + Presence 3 + Stunt 2 + Appearance Bonus 3 (Assuming Resolve 3) = 14 dice; 4 hits

10m Strength+Stamina Excellency
Strength 5 + Brawl 3 + Specialty 1 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 10 = 21; 10 hits

4m Strength Excellency to add damage
Withering Savage against DV 0, Damage 19 with Piercing (-4 armoured soak, Maja loses 1i)
Strength 5 + Brawl 3 + Accuracy 2 + Specialty 1 + Stunt 2 = 11; 5 hits for a total of 19+5+4 so 28 damage

Maja is down to 3i pending the results of the attack.
Health Levels:
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ]
- Incap

Personal: 0/17
Peripheral: 15/42

Weapons:

Unarmed

Armor
None

Last edited:
The Deathknight Archer's soak would normally be a 10, but with Maja's Piercing Tag, it drops it to just a 6. Something tells me that she is going to be Crashed as soon as Random Word Random Word rolls damage.

[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
7 - Maja <====
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda
5 - Bard

Round 2
20 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider
9 - DK Bowman
7 - DK Blade
4 - Maja
2 - Rory

Maja has the archer in a tight squeeze, and while she is struggling to get loose, her strength is nowhere near yours, and you have her good.

With Maja and Spider seeming to have the archer well in hand (see what I did there? Ha!), Milo pulls his blade free from the scabbard and charges into the fight with the swordsman. He swings a powerful blow with the flames of his anima starting to flicker out and knocks the Deathknight back a few paces.

Melinda decides to keep some distance, and she begins to craft a spell.

D. Rex D. Rex is up with Bard.

[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
[10 - Kuaidao]
[8 - DK Bowman]
[8 - DK Blade]
[7 - Maja]
[6 - Milo]
[6 - Melinda]
5 - Bard <====

Round 2
18 - Maja
15 - DK Swordsman
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Spider

12 - Milo
7 - DK Blade
6 - Melinda
2 - Rory
0 - DK Bowman - crashed

Last edited:
Running across the bowsprit with cat-like grace, he took a nimble hop to tip where he stood tall. His robes bellowed, and the orichalcum strings of the sanxian gleamed as he unslung the instrument from his back.

He would be able to attack fine from here, and he wasn't about to leave Mahina unguarded should one of the Deathknights get any ideas about attacking her.

The air around him buzzed with anticipatory excitement as his fingers merely touched the strings. Just waiting for them to be played. But no. Not yet. He was watching the battle, listening to every quip and movement and clash. And finally, he found it. The rhythm of this fight. Its pulse. Yes. There it was. In his head he kept time. In his mind he could almost see the patterns to come. To link each beat to its participants who made each action as if they were following notes on a sheet of music.

And here, is where he would lend his aid. Adding harmonies to the notes of the battle he favored, and striking dissonance with those he did not.

His finger brushed the Orichalcum strings lightly at first, then began in full. Each note rang out with the characteristic hollow sound of the sanxian, hollow yet surreally full. Like sun glistening off the last bits of frost on a spring morning. Hollow as the Van'yung Columns, yet carry spirit of the wind that whistled through them.

It was a beautiful sound. An uplifting sound. Striking a chord with his exalted brethren, enervating them. And they could feel the rhythm begin to tug at them, pulling to strike a little harder, to slice a little deeper, to move ever faster. Filling their souls with the light Sun, that their strikes will pierce like its very rays.

Bard could hear the rhythms of this battle, and through his music, he would help his friends understand it too.

Battle Anthem (of the Solar Exalted)
Cost: 1m; Mins: Performance 5, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: One song
Prerequisite Charms: Mood-Inducing Music

The Lawgiver draws down the Essence of battle and manifests it through the medium of her instrument. While playing this song in combat, the Solar and her allies each automatically gain one Initiative per round, and their successful withering attacks each award an additional point of bonus Initiative. Allied battle groups who can hear the Solar’s music enjoy (Solar’s Essence) bonus dice to their to their attacks. While using this Charm, the Solar can’t take any non reflective actions.

The music being played by Bard goes out and is heard by all, and it is inspiring to all of your allies, spurring them to greater heights. Initiative bonus has been added to everyone.

Start of Round 2. Everyone regains 5m of Essence.

Random Word Random Word is up with Maja

Round 2
19 - Maja <====
15 - DK Swordsman
15 - Kuaidao
14 - Spider

13 - Milo
7 - DK Blade
7 - Mahina
6 - Bard
3 - Rory
0 - DK Bowman - crashed

Last edited:
Maja had only intended to pin the prey in place, the better to let Spider run it through, but the intoxicating thrill of the hunt, heady rush of flowing essence, and uplifting chords of Bard's sanxian make for a potent cocktail and just thinking about all the innocent people this thing butchered makes her blood boil and she slams it into the wall to stop its useless struggling and suddenly her fangs are sinking deep into the flesh of its exposed throat, ice cold black blood that tastes like ash filling her mouth and running down her chin but so satisfying all the same as she rips and tears.

[Decisive Savage, 19i, 10L damage. DK Bow will be at -2 Onslaught and -2 Grapple penalty to DV plus wound penalty when Spider's turn comes around. Kill her before she crashes Maja and escapes!]

With an angry yank of her hands, Maja feels several bones crack in her grip in the body of the Deathknight archer. She lets out a pained scream as she struggles, still trying to escape but to no avail.

jaydude jaydude posts at the same time as the Abyssal swordsman. Your actions will go off at the same time.

Round 2
[19 - Maja]
15 - DK Swordsman <====
15 - Kuaidao <====
14 - Spider

13 - Milo
7 - DK Blade
7 - Mahina
6 - Bard
3 - Rory
0 - DK Bowman - crashed

Out the corner of his eye, Kuaidao witnessed Maja fly across the battlefield and tackle the archer into one of the village's houses. Confident that the Lunar could keep her opponent at bay for the moment, the Dawnturned back towards his opponent, moments before Bard's music hit the battlefield.

Kuaidao knew that some fighters would use war-cries and music to bolster the mood and fighting spirit of themselves and their allies. And while he knew that it could provide a good mental boost, that was no way to explain how he suddenly felt stronger, faster and less fatigued. Still, with what it was doing for him, he was hardly going to complain.

He rushed forward, holding Guardian Host in a guard position, before swinging at the Deathknight with an overhead strike, an aura of golden light bursting into existence around his body as he did so.

Regaining 5m Peripheral Essence. Decisive attack, claiming one-point stunt and spending 5m Peripheral Essence on my Melee Excellency, and 3m more to use Excellent Strike, giving me one automatic success and allowing me to reroll 1's. With all this Essence usage, Kuaidao's Anima now goes up to Burning.

7 successes.
Peripheral Essence: 33/40
Anima: Burning

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Last edited:
The light from Kuaidao's anima seems to be at war with the darkness coming off of the Abyssal as the two of you fight for supremacy. Just before making his move to strike, the Abyssal calls out something in Old Realm that you do not understand, but with Kuaidao's knowledge of both Low and High Realm, you think it is someone's name, but you are not sure.

When the two of you swing your Daiklaves at one another, Kuaidao can see that the other man is also going for blood. With a slight twist of his wrist, he manages to knock your blade to one side as he drives his own sword into your chest. You are lucky in the fact that he didn't score a nastier strike, but even so, Kuaidao takes a total of five Lethal damage from the hit.

But while you don't speak Old Realm, Mahina does. She looks shocked as she is working to gather up her energies for the spell, and calls out, "NO! You mustn't! Milo! Kill him quickly! Don't let him speak again!"

Psychie Psychie is up with Spider

Round 2
[19 - Maja]
[15 - DK Swordsman]
[15 - Kuaidao]
14 - Spider <====

13 - Milo
7 - DK Blade
7 - Mahina
6 - Bard
3 - Rory
0 - DK Bowman - crashed/badly injured

Round 3
12 - Kuaidao -5L
4 - Maja
3 - DK Swordsman

Last edited:
When Spider sees that Maja has the archer wrapped up tight, she sees her chance to end this one's life so that they can both then turn and focus on hammering the swordsman into mushy pulp that squishes under foot when you step on it. She lashes out once more with the Rings, aiming to strike the Deathknight in the head and avoid hitting Maja at the same time. Once the chain wraps around the neck of her target, she yanks hard.
Performing a Decisive Attack
Spending 2m on Ferocious Biting Tooth to add two extra successes on my damage dice, and 5m on my Dex Excellency to keep from nerfing the roll and missing.

8 successes to hit
8 Lethal damage if it connects

Hybrid Body Transformation and DBT active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 6

Personal: 17 / 17
Peripheral: 42 (32) / 13
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

When Spider yanks on the chain, the head of the Deathknight comes off in a bloody spray of bright red arterial blood, and the severed head lolls off to the side as the body goes limp.

Hearing his sister, Milo pours his effort into connecting with the swordsman, performing a Decisive attack in an effort to kill the man before he can finish whatever comments that has his sister so concerned. He manages to just barely connect with his Daiklave against the Deathknight, his blade cutting deep. But unfortunately, it is not enough to kill his foe. The Abyssal stumbles back, spitting up some blood from under his helmet, and you can hear him say, "You should have gone for the head!" He then shouts out something else in Old Realm between cackles of laughter, but in the heat of battle, it is undecipherable.

The Abyssal lashes out at Kuaidao in an effort to kill you before he falls himself, but with his wounds, it slows his sword arm down quite a bit. He does manage to get a total of 7 successes against you. What is your DV?

jaydude jaydude has a defense to declare, and once you have posted, I'll resolve Mahina's spell.

Round 2
[19 - Maja]
[15 - DK Swordsman]
[15 - Kuaidao]
[14 - Spider]

[13 - Milo]
[7 - DK Blade]
7 - Mahina
6 - Bard
3 - Rory

Round 3
12 - Kuaidao -5L
4 - Maja
4 - Spider

4 - Milo
3 - DK Swordsman

As his opponent's blade came back towards him, Kuaidao focused on ignoring the pain ripping through his chest where the Deathknight had stabbed him - calling upon his Essence as part of this process - and raised his own Daiklave up in the way of it.

[OOC: Spending 2m Peripheral Essence to activate Dipping Swallow Defense. Assuming that the words "all penalties" in "can ignore all penalties to parry an attack with her full Defense" includes wound and failed clash penalties, bringing my Parry back up to 7. Finally, I claim a one-point stunt to boost Parry up further to 8.]
Peripheral Essence: 21/40
Anima: Burning

-0: [X]
-1: [X], [X], [X], [X], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_],
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Thanks to your years of training and being bolstered by your Essence, Kuaidao is able to knock the other man's blade aside and keep from getting hit.

At the same time, Mahina finishes crafting her spell, and from her outstretched hand, a flaming bird bursts forth, flying at lightning speed out to strike the Abyssal in the chest and exploding. The flames seem to burrow into his body, consuming him from the inside out as fire shoots out of his helmet from his open mouth.

While this would normally be the end of the fight, there is a terrible roar of hundreds of voices calling out in a wordless scream coming from the open hole that was burrowed out in the snow. Something big is down there, and it sounds like it is angry, and is on its way up to the surface.

D. Rex D. Rex is up

Round 2
[19 - Maja]
[15 - DK Swordsman]
[15 - Kuaidao]
[14 - Spider]

[13 - Milo]
[7 - DK Blade]
[7 - Mahina]
6 - Bard <====
3 - Rory