• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial By Fire - Exalted 2e IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Aredin took the jest in good humor, chuckling as he feigned a recoil. "Ah, my pride! How will I go on with my shame exposed so?" He clutched at his chest as he started laughing. As Darian started to inquire further he found himself curious, but thought it best not to interrupt. I hope it's a vault or an old ship we could repair, but that might be a little too optimistic. It'd be great if we could find more Dragon Kings though... numbers are a bit low for the comeback they deserve.

Eventually, Aredin woke from his ponderous stupor and reached for Darian's hand. "Looks like we have a full list of tasks ahead." His mind flashed to today's battle, and oddly enough, it brought a smile to his face. His sword hand remembered the feeling of clashing steel with an equal and sent a shiver up the bones of his right arm. Starlight was now in full force in the sky and the moon rose on the field of conquest. He sat up fully trying to string his thoughts together. "We may want to look at the new discovery before we head beneath the city again. We still have that other door we need to eventually address as well... We've also got a whole host of Celestial Exalts back home we don't enough know, doing gods know what with our people around to witness it..."

He stopped trying not to sour his own enthusiasm for the amazing venture thus far. In an old habitual ritual, he took a long deep breath and let out an equally long sigh to dispell the mounting stress. He relished the feeling of the south-eastern air across his bare back for a second then tried again. "Right... we have a lot to do going forward and few hands we know well enough to trust these tasks with." Aredin looked to his wife with a loving smile, obviously enjoying her company. "Looks like it's on us, might as well make it fun, right?" He could feel his arm surge with the same weightless numb feeling as before and tried to ignore it. Suddenly, the spark of a solution slapped him across the face like a trout reprimanding a clumsy fisherman. He leaned over and gave Darian a passionate kiss. "I've figured it out! I know how we can determine what's behind door number one!" He nearly shouted, beaming with excitement.

Last edited:
Darian lets out a sigh of pleasure as Aredin kisses her again, then looks at her husband with curiosity. "You can't just say something like that without sharing. Tell me! What plan do you have to figure out what the door in the Pyramid hides?"

Aredin grinned. "Remember when we were first sent on the road from the Wyld hunt? Heaven itself was tracking us." Aredin pointed to his heart, though presumably, he meant the divine spark within. "Even with Dunbar, they knew when it was time for his exaltation to reincarnate. All we have to do is use the same methods to see if those two exalts reincarnated or not! Coincidentally, there is both a Yu Shan gate and the greatest astrological orrery in creation right here."

Last edited:
Annika examined the man more closely, trying to get more details about who he was, and why he might be following her.

Annika examined the man more closely, trying to get more details about who he was, and why he might be following her.
With your keen eye, you can tell that this person has several knives hidden on his person, and even in his casual stance, you can see that he is keeping his hands free to be able to draw and use one at a moment's notice. Obviously not a casual civilian that is enamored by your beauty. Perhaps he is a skilled thief looking to take your coinpurse? Or, he is keeping an eye on you for some other reason.

Giving the man a shake of her head, Annika would return to her room and close the window, before slipping into bed and trying to get some sleep. As an added precaution, she kept the door locked and her daiklaves and pack close by, in case she needed to fight or flee at a moment's notice.

Giving the man a shake of her head, Annika would return to her room and close the window, before slipping into bed and trying to get some sleep. As an added precaution, she kept the door locked and her daiklaves and pack close by, in case she needed to fight or flee at a moment's notice.
Morning comes around without anyone trying to get into your room. Right now, you have taken care of the morning needs, and can head down for breakfast. When you get to the common room, you see that it has already begun to fill up with half of the tables already occupied. A few people glance up at you when you come out of the hallway, but they quickly go back to eating and their various conversations. No one looks familiar from the night before, but if there are some people watching you, they would need to get some sleep eventually.

At this point, what does Annika do? Are you going to go back to Rathess, or prowl around town a bit more?

Morning comes around without anyone trying to get into your room. Right now, you have taken care of the morning needs, and can head down for breakfast. When you get to the common room, you see that it has already begun to fill up with half of the tables already occupied. A few people glance up at you when you come out of the hallway, but they quickly go back to eating and their various conversations. No one looks familiar from the night before, but if there are some people watching you, they would need to get some sleep eventually.

At this point, what does Annika do? Are you going to go back to Rathess, or prowl around town a bit more?

Feeling that there was little else that she could do in Chaing Dav for the time being, and wanting to pass on her information to the rest of the Circle, Annika would have a quick breakfast, and then aim to leave the settlement and discretely use the Globe of Transportation to fly back to Rathess.

When morning comes, Darian would rise early to be able to watch the sunrise from the top of the Great Pyramid of the Sun. It would be a quiet moment, one where she would be able to enjoy her first sunrise that she would have nothing else calling her attention away from the glory. It is a sight that is enough to bring her to tears of joy.

After she has had enough time to compose herself, the Zenith Caste would make her way down the pyramid to look for Sirocco and Aredin to take a look at this door that the Lunar had discovered, then they could get some idea of just what they were dealing with.

Viktor continued to study the door until the day grew late, then bid the Goddess and Sidereal goodnight. He made his way back to the staging point they had made camp before their battle against Filial Wisdom, with the intent of getting some rest. He laid for a short time unable to sleep, tossing about and thinking about the work still to be done in Rathess, and plans of artifice danced through his mind. The crafter leapt from his prone position and pulled out the Jade effigy from his pack. If he couldn't sleep, he could at least get more work done on the close-to-completion second component for his newest project.

Aredin started to wake as his wife stirred. It was a clumsy, disorienting morning for him, taking nearly a full minute to remember who he was and where he was. Oh yeah, I remember what this was like. He thought with a good long stretch, leaving a few pops of his back in its wake.

As usual, he'd start the morning with his typical meditation. For some reason, all that seemed to play was the fight with the Mad King. Every time the fight played out, Aredin felt his barely channeled panic. The taunts seemed to gnaw at him, making him start to doubt if he actually could protect his wife, his circle. Yet the doubts were unproven as each time the fallen Solar was defeated. Eventually, Aredin grit his teeth and stood up. Enough. Aredin chastised that tormenting presence that always pushed him to battle. I know how close that fight was, you don't have to remind me.

Having finished the short ritual, sunrise was nearing its completion and the young lord began to sprint over toward the central pyramid. I need the power to heal minds... I can't let the shadow of this doom keep haunting me. Once he had reached the top platform where the opening to the manse was, he'd shade his eyes and scan about until he eventually found Darian. Still lightly winded from the run from one pyramid to the other, he spoke between breaths. "Ah... Good morning love. Anyone else up yet?" Gah, I got too used to that globe. I can't afford to get out of shape now!

Last edited:
Darian rises from her lotus position and stretches. "I have not gone hunting our comrades yet, but considering we now have two mysterious doors to deal with, and having not even taken any look at the second one that Sirocco has discovered, we will have to decide what to do with them. I would think that Viktor would be a good person to have examine the second one, especially with his expertise in all things crafty. We also need to follow up on your idea of seeing if Dunbar or Aysik can come up with any information from the Celestial Bureaucracy on the status of those Exaltations."

She pauses for a moment, then looks at Aredin. "I am also wondering . . . do you think that the doors we found have anything to do with the supposed behemoth that is hidden in the city?"

Last edited:
Aredin nodded, raising a hand to his chin in thought. "Yeah, I've been a bit worried about the behemoth... Any one of these doors could reveal a death trap just as bad too. It'd be nice if we could just take it out in its sleep, but I don't think we'll be that lucky." He said, somewhat groaning in anticipation of disaster.

"Speaking of Viktor though, I haven't seen him since we first spoke of door one. Guess we'll have to hoof it for now and find 'em. Might as well start here." Aredin said with a shrug, finally catching his breath.

Heaven made a final circuit around the room. He double checks the ritual circle and its protections, certain of his handiwork but having no desire to let a mistake slip by him. He ensured the offerings were in place, and only then, with a sigh, he sat.

Only to stand up and leave the room entirely, seeking the nearest balcony, and tugging on the threads connecting him to his treasured feathered companion. "Sirrocco! I could use your help, love."

Last edited:
After leaving the two love birds, Sirocco went looking for one of the other Solars, to tell them about her discovery. After all, Aredin and Darian might have wanted some alone time and preferred to wait till morning to study the door she had found, but she still wanted to see if one of the other Solars might be up to make an initial study, so she can, hopefully, have more knowledge about it, and maybe rest better.

In her spirit form, her sight was better than in her human form, and as she made a wing over the city, she noticed Heaven coming onto his balcony, and, tugging her wings close, she accelerated towards him, even as she felt a tug from him, inwardly smiling, she screeched loudly, and on the very last moment, she spread her wings, arresting her downward swoop inches from his face. She knew he still didn't like it, but at least now he wasn't falling backwards when she did it.
She then lands, and assumes her human form once more. "I see that someone has been busy scratching signs on the floor once more" She says with a smile "And yet you still disprove of me taking time to live as various animals."

Heaven blushes, averting his embarrassed gaze as Sirocco swoops in close, sighing at her delight in scaring him. "Maybe I just miss your company when you decide you'd rather share it with the wolves..." He replies, smiling as he turns to head back inside. "Anyway... I'm about to get underway in performing a summoning. I read it can be pretty dangerous, and thought it'd be a good opportunity to teach you a bit more about sorcery...and to catch up, just spend time together, like the bad old days. Interested? If we screw up, I can at least promise a bit of exercise at the end."

Heaven laughs as he runs a hand through his hair, the silver strands catching the light much like the star covered robes he wears, illuminating the balcony. "Because it'll likely try to end our lives for disturbing it."

Viktor dressed himself comfortably in leathers when he awoke, hanging a single knife from his belt and leaving his other armaments behind at the camp. For the short hike between their original camp and Rathess, he didn't expect to need much in the way of weaponry. Not after their resounding victory reclaiming the ancient city.

The crafter walked happily along the overgrown forested paths leading into the city. The abundance of foliage reminded him of his first tour with the Lookshyan military, when they briefly visited the Eastern edges of the Scavenger Lands. He had enjoyed listening to the sounds of birds constantly chirping amongst the branches high above, and yet was still surprised how much it seemed he'd missed it. A large smile on his face, and a whistle on his lips, the Twilight made his way until he reached the great central pyramid.

"Maybe I'll be able to uncover something new about that blasted door today." He turned to a few Raptok nearby. "Today's the day, right?" They looked at each other a moment, having no idea what he said and clearly confused, before looking back at the crafter and forcing toothy grins to their faces. Viktor nodded and smiled in response. "Yes, my thoughts exactly."

He continued on within the pyramid, keeping an eye out for any of his companions he might see before reaching the massive door.

As Viktor is heading towards the Great Pyramid, he comes across Aredin and Darian coming away from the massive building. The three of you are just barely able to trade pleasantries in the morning light when you are approached by Dunbar and Aysik, both looking excited. The older Sidereal welcomes you all with a wave. "Ah, my friends! We have been spending some time putting our heads together and doing some research into the warded door buried deep inside the Great Pyramid, and we have some news of interest."

Dunbar nods in agreement. "It took us a while to ask just the right questions, but we have finally gotten some information on the two Exalts that were locked away. We have confirmed the identities of the two Exalts: The Solar was a Dawn caste named Remma Tax, and the Lunar was a No Moon I believe, and his name was Rogosh Eagle Eye. After much searching, we have found that the Shard of Remma Tax has gone onto a new Exaltation, but there is no sign that Rogosh Eagle Eye has returned to Creation in a new Exalt. It is entirely possible that Rogosh is still alive inside the pyramid!"

Aysik pulls out his pipe and loads up some tobacco and lights it up. "There is one possible problem, though. The Exalt that created the prison was a artificer named Cerulean Pearl, a Twilight of great renown. She has long since died and has been re-Exalted many times, and the latest Exalt bearing her Shard is . . . you, Viktor. The good news about that is you are the heir to a great legacy. But, if Rogosh is somehow able to divine the fact that Viktor holds the Exaltation of the one that has locked him away for so long, it may lead to a potentially bad reaction. Best for all of us that any effort made to make contact with the Lunar inside is done without letting that nugget of information be gleaned by Rogosh."

Feeling that there was little else that she could do in Chaing Dav for the time being, and wanting to pass on her information to the rest of the Circle, Annika would have a quick breakfast, and then aim to leave the settlement and discretely use the Globe of Transportation to fly back to Rathess.
Feeling satisfied by the meal, Annika now rises up from the table and heads for the door. No one in the tavern's common room pays much attention to you, but it does not take long for you to get the itchy feeling that you are once more being followed. How do you wish to try to shake your tail in order to be able to leave town unobserved?

Darian looks at Aysik in surprise. "How is it possible for someone, even an Exalt, to have survived for this long? From the First Age, it has been, what? A thousand years? Two thousand? More? I doubt that there is anything to eat locked for such a time in there to keep him fed! Now, I am not an expert in the magics of the Lunar Exalted, but is it even possible for him to have survived this length of time?"

Aysik puffs on his pipe a few times, then nods. "Actually, yes. He could still be alive in there, depending on what Charms he had. One way he might still be alive in there is if he went into a hibernation sleep, with the hopes that he would be released by someone in a far later Age. There are others, but until that door is opened, it is all idle speculation. I can say with certainty that his Shard has not found a new host. So, he is either alive, or Lytek has kept Rogosh's Exaltation on ice for a very long time."

Aredin couldn't let himself bow to fear in this and decided to speak over his reservations. He put a hand on Viktor's shoulder and would hold Darian close with the other. "Well, let's say we crack open the door and he tries something. By your reckoning, can we take 'im?" He said as he began to smile, somewhat eager to fight again despite the risks. "We've gotten a lot stronger since Chiaroscuro, though I dont expect this one to fight fair. Still. Whatever happens Viktor, we've got your back."

Heaven blushes, averting his embarrassed gaze as Sirocco swoops in close, sighing at her delight in scaring him. "Maybe I just miss your company when you decide you'd rather share it with the wolves..." He replies, smiling as he turns to head back inside. "Anyway... I'm about to get underway in performing a summoning. I read it can be pretty dangerous, and thought it'd be a good opportunity to teach you a bit more about sorcery...and to catch up, just spend time together, like the bad old days. Interested? If we screw up, I can at least promise a bit of exercise at the end."

Heaven laughs as he runs a hand through his hair, the silver strands catching the light much like the star covered robes he wears, illuminating the balcony. "Because it'll likely try to end our lives for disturbing it."

"Well, since you ask so nicely, and of course, the last thing i want is for someone else to get their claws in you, I will be more than happy to be taught more about Sorcery, and to stand guard in case the elemental you summon deigns to start a battle."

Heaven nods knowingly. "Ah, ever the beauty and beast. That personality of yours is one of the many traits that make me adore you..." Moving into the hallway once again, he turns and faces Sirocco, skipping backwards as he goes.

"So. Summoning. It's one of the more common sorceries. Cults and madmen we're doing it before they learned to crawl. Summoning in and of itself is easy, if you don't mind whatever random demon answers the call immediately trying to devour you. But to get a specific creature, and to bring them forth safely? It takes lots of preparation, which I've prepared in advance, and am honestly not in the mood to go over it all again. Outside of that, it's just about being more experienced, more willful than what you want to summon...or more clever."

With a clap of his hands, Heaven stops just outside of his ritual room, he motions to one of the circles scratched into the floor. "Just join me in there, and we can get started."

Aredin couldn't let himself bow to fear in this and decided to speak over his reservations. He put a hand on Viktor's shoulder and would hold Darian close with the other. "Well, let's say we crack open the door and he tries something. By your reckoning, can we take 'im?" He said as he began to smile, somewhat eager to fight again despite the risks. "We've gotten a lot stronger since Chiaroscuro, though I dont expect this one to fight fair. Still. Whatever happens Viktor, we've got your back."
Aysik ponders his response for a moment. "In a stand up fight, I would expect that even as powerful as Rogosh was reported to be, we should not have any major difficulties in confronting him. He is better known as a powerful mage, skilled in both Sorcery and Necromancy, and has placed his focus on that instead of being a more physical threat as a Full Moon Exalt would be, even for an Elder."

Dunbar looks excited. "An ancient sorcerer from the First Age? I would love to have the chance to pick his brain on any and all details on the early days of the Deliberative that may not be recorded in the history books! Count me in! When do we go open the door? I'm free now, if you'd like."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back