Viewpoint Things You Want to RP but are too Embarrassed to Ask

I... want to take a RP I did as a 1x1 that kinda petered off and turn it into a group rp, someday. I'm just scared that the person I did the 1x1 with will see the check.

I mean unless they did all the work solo I can’t think why it would be a problem. It’s not like they own the idea, it’s a shared project.

It seems someone's already said this, but a genderbending scenario. Not for fetish reasons or r64, but I would really like to explore the response someone would have to suddenly waking up as the opposite gender. The changes in lifestyle, the social issues, clothing issues, changes in group dynamics within the friend group, the psychological aspect, and so on.

I guess I've never attempted it because I don't want people to think it's for fetish reasons, and I find it difficult to get groups together or even hold a 1x1, since every time I find partners who might be interested, they ghost me.

It seems someone's already said this, but a genderbending scenario. Not for fetish reasons or r64, but I would really like to explore the response someone would have to suddenly waking up as the opposite gender. The changes in lifestyle, the social issues, clothing issues, changes in group dynamics within the friend group, the psychological aspect, and so on.

I guess I've never attempted it because I don't want people to think it's for fetish reasons, and I find it difficult to get groups together or even hold a 1x1, since every time I find partners who might be interested, they ghost me.
Hmm...

I must admit I've never really thought about the serious side of it. I just use it for comedy.

But then again, they can almost always change back voluntarily so it's less of an issue on most fronts.

Hmm...

I must admit I've never really thought about the serious side of it. I just use it for comedy.

But then again, they can almost always change back voluntarily so it's less of an issue on most fronts.
Well, I suppose that depends on the method of the change, whether its permanent or temporary, spontaneous or gradual, etc.

Well, I suppose that depends on the method of the change, whether its permanent or temporary, spontaneous or gradual, etc.
I suppose so, yes.

Generally when it comes to me it's spontaneous and accidental for the first time but voluntary every other time (unless they have trouble controlling the power in which case it's only voluntary sometimes).

I generally play by the El Goonish Shive rules of genderbending. Except, you know, without all the furry stuff and the dealing with serious issues.

I suppose so, yes.

Generally when it comes to me it's spontaneous and accidental for the first time but voluntary every other time (unless they have trouble controlling the power in which case it's only voluntary sometimes).

I generally play by the El Goonish Shive rules of genderbending. Except, you know, without all the furry stuff and the dealing with serious issues.
I've never heard of El Goonish Shive, what is that?

I've never heard of El Goonish Shive, what is that?
It's a webcomic.

Here take a look.

The art really sucks early on and the writing is spotty *cough*painted black*cough* in the first couple story arcs but the middle is great and the later strips are... I dunno. I think I still read out of habit because there's a lot of stuff in the later strips that just seems kind of odd and sudden and not right for the comic.

Okay, that's 17 years of strips, can you give me the cliff notes of the rules?
Yeah, I guess I have too much time on my hands cause I binged it in three days.

Anyway, long story short: well, there's a whole bunch of rules and magic laws in universe or whatever that make it super confusing but if you just take the way it can be viewed from out of universe: Genderbending is (usually) voluntary and relatively easy with the only real negative consequences involve your own feelings.

Okay, I think I'm confusing myself so let's just say that I was mistaken and I play it by my own rules, which means there are no rules unless I specifically set them and even then they're super loose so that I might bend them for rule of funny.

The more I think about it, the more fun an IDS-centered RP would be to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many people are willing to have their characters treated like garbage.

Sounds interesting, but no.

The Intergalactic Defense Squadron is part of a universe I'm working on. It's kind of like the Empire if you crossed it with the orphanage from The Promised Neverland. It kidnaps kids from all planets including Earth, cultivates them into soldiers, and simultaneously treats them badly. A roleplay based on it could pretty much go anywhere.

Huh, this is an interesting question. =)

I’m not embarrassed to list what topics I’d like to explore...I mean, I put G Gundam on my request thread, so I guess I’m kinda brave in that respect. XD

I think the only thing I’m iffy about asking for or suggesting is a story with age gaps or pregnancies/characters with kids as a part - not the focus- of a story.

I don’t mind age gaps because I saw how it could work in real life. My great aunt married a man 25 years older than her and it was a love that endured for around 60 years. Even at 93 years old, she still visits his grave every week and talks to her Ted.

The pregnancy (or character with a kid) concern is just due to bad experiences in the past that killed stories dead in the water. (The horrors I have seen.)

When I was 12 or 13, I found my way onto a roleplay forum built around a small community of RPers. Most of them were pixel artists in their 20s, which will become relevant later. (How I got there is another story for another time.) I wasn't a very good RPer, and I was a real tryhard, but they were really kind to me. For my first taste of forum RP, it was sweet. The board had two active RPs at the time; I took part in one and watched the other.

The one I played in was called Ponyopolis. This was a My Little Pony RP, except all the ponies were anthropomorphized, so the average character looked a lot like this. (That link goes art by the GM, who played those characters at the time.) Everyone either drew or commissioned their own characters, made enormous character sheets describing their characters' aesthetics and favorite things, and enjoyed the art as well as the slice-of-life fun of the RP. Also, this existed before Friendship Is Magic got huge, maybe before it even aired, so there was a lot of inspiration from the G3 MLP toys. Fun times.

The one I watched was called Synthetic Angel. That was a cyberpunk RP set in post-apocalyptic dystopian Tokyo, centering around cyborg girls called Angels with elemental sci-fi powers. The girls had to protect themselves from robots called Demons, who wanted to hunt them down and steal their internal batteries, so the Demons could use that technology to power themselves long-term and take over humanity. (Also, you know, killing the girls in the process.) There were also Fallen, failed prototypes of Angels who escaped being killed, and now try to live their own lives without being found out. And Phages, cyborg yakuza who wanted to restore the planet through botany and technology.

It was a lot of fun, and in the case of SA, a heck of a lot to read. Until our ISP banned RP forums and I lost access to the site :closedeyescryingfrown: A few years after, when we got a new ISP, I used to check on the forum and the group's Deviantarts every so often. Most of them are inactive, and the forum is now inaccessible. (On the slim chance that anyone from that forum is reading this: thanks for being so patient with me, even though I was an annoying kid. Hope you're doing well, and that you kept enjoying the RPs.)

The "formative RP experiences" I described in the spoiler have left me with some fairly weird RP cravings ten years later:
  • Anthro My Little Pony slice-of-life RP. Bonus points if the character designs are cute and high-fashion and ~aesthetic~. I'd be embarrassed to ask for it, though. I'm worried people would see the words "anthro" and "MLP" and "super cute" and think I had a fetish. This isn't the case; I'd want it to be strictly SFW. But I know there are people out there who can't or won't look past the connotations, so to speak.
  • The RP described in the third paragraph in the spoiler. Or something close to it, because I'm not trying to plagiarize the original GM's work. There's a fine art to taking something you're nostalgic about and making it truly your own, though. I get nervous and embarrassed when I post anything sort of like it, because I feel like I'm stealing the idea.
  • RPs with gargantuan character sheets. I'm talking RPG-like skill trees, but also detailed descriptions of the characters' homes, hobbies, fashion styles, etc. I don't think I'd ever feel brave enough to solicit this in a group or even a partner search. In my more recent RP experiences, people just like to write, not exhaust all their energy on a character sheet. They generally don't care about the contents of a character's wardrobe or wide arrays of powers, or at least, they'd rather explore those in the RP proper than the character sheet. (Can't say I blame them :closed eyes open smile: )
  • RPs where players are expected to draw our own characters, rather than using anime pics or celebrities. Remember how I mentioned in the spoiler that my first RP was in a community of pixel artists? It was the norm to draw, or at least design, anyone we played. This is the thing I'm least embarrassed about (though I'm still not prepared to ask for it), because I loathe pic-hunting. Genuinely loathe. But I'm about as good at coloring as I am at riding a cow on a skateboard. That is, not very. So I don't feel good enough about my art to use it for character pictures :neutralteeth:

Anyway, this got strange pretty quickly! I know the OP asked about subject matter, setting, content, and fandoms, rather than mechanics of RP. So I hope my last two bullets aren't too off-topic.

Huh, this is an interesting question. =)

I’m not embarrassed to list what topics I’d like to explore...I mean, I put G Gundam on my request thread, so I guess I’m kinda brave in that respect. XD
Any Super robot RP would be appreciated. It feels like some people only think four or five mecha series exist and that the ideas for Gurren Lagann were pulled from the ether.
I don't see the need to be embarrassed about making a mecha RP that doesn't fit the mold of every other, especially if it has a following like G Gundam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back