Viewpoint Things You Want to RP but are too Embarrassed to Ask

ok goodness I really want to put up an ad for a ** fandom roleplay but Iā€™m like...rlly shy + embarrassed ?? plus, no oneā€™s actively into that fandom anymore so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have much luck either ?

and the thing is I donā€™t just want a ** roleplay, I want to rp a certain ship from it but a g a i n the thing is, shippers of that particular ship are called delulus and Iā€™m not ready to face that yet šŸ™ƒ
Do people have to know the fandom to do the ship? I find sometimes for rarer fandoms going a ā€œoriginalā€ route helps. So basically explain the fandom as if itā€™s an original idea. It helps people who arenā€™t familiar feel more confident about applying.

(I mean obviously credit the real creator but sort of do a back of the book summary for the unfamiliar)

not at all ! but itā€™s less about the fandom and more about the ship šŸ˜… ? Id feel kinda selfish to basically dictate the kind of character I want my partner to play shshskab

Honestly as long as you arenā€™t dictating how the character feels (I.e. your character had has a crush on mine for ten years and is secretly prepared to propose)

Having a clear idea of what the person wants in a love interest is actually really helpful. I hate it when someone asks me to play a love interest then nit picks all my ideas. I would rather you just tell me up front what you want and let me decide if I can play if

Okay, I actually have a couple ideas.

In one, characters are held captive (ransom?) in a freaky amusement park run by a reality warper. To compensate for, you know, being taken away from their loved ones, the park is able to conjure their deepest desires. If they manage to fight this temptation off, however, the park sees them as a threat, and they risk being turned into one of the many park mascots.

I think this could be fun, what's stopping me is that not only is it kind of a ridiculous idea for a place like this, where most RPs are more serious, but my experience with being a GM...Well, it tends to go south.

The other idea is characters being framed for crimes they didn't commit, and being forced to go on the run together while trying to figure out who framed them. It sounds cool to me, but I don't think anyone would be willing to put their characters on the lam. Also, the second reason is the same as the second reason above.

In one, characters are held captive (ransom?) in a freaky amusement park run by a reality warper. To compensate for, you know, being taken away from their loved ones, the park is able to conjure their deepest desires. If they manage to fight this temptation off, however, the park sees them as a threat, and they risk being turned into one of the many park mascots.

I think this could be fun, what's stopping me is that not only is it kind of a ridiculous idea for a place like this, where most RPs are more serious, but my experience with being a GM...Well, it tends to go south.
Ah yes, basically the plot of Coraline, how silly.

I feel like if I wanted to RP in a magic/supernatural/superpower hero thingy school setting it would be shut down super quick because its super cliche and over done. ;(

cries 4 dais

I feel like if I wanted to RP in a magic/supernatural/superpower hero thingy school setting it would be shut down super quick because its super cliche and over done. ;(

cries 4 dais
Those types of RPs are formulaic as hell. You can draw a decent crowd if you put a minor spin on them.

Yeah! Like, maybe, they go on a field trip that goes south, and they start getting plucked one by one?

Dibbydoo Dibbydoo So those kinds of role plays were literally all I did for years. The longest running role plays I have ever taken part in where both of the gifted school variety.

what kept them both going were three things

1. Hands on GM/Mods. People behind the scenes that where willing to keep enthusiasm going, monitor Player disputes, and make sure everyone had a chance to post.

2. Mini Missions. So schools are hella boring if all you focus on is class and teen cliques. So mini missions are ways to give you characters something concrete to do. It can be something as simple as having school festivals or field trips or it can be as complicated as having missions to complete where the characters practice their powers. The key is to start with at least one calendar year of mini missions already planned out (field trips, festivals, power practice, etc. whatever fits your particular narrative really)

Then have your players submit ideas for additional mini missions as the roleplay progresses. Or even build on previous missions outcomes. Ex. If during power training your players accidentally destroy one of the school dorms well your next activity can be co-Ed sleep overs and other teen shenanigans.

3. Time skipping. This one is vital to keeping engagement up. Basically each mini mission has a set time period for completion (IRL). So depending on how fast your players post you can do like each mini mission takes two weeks IRL to complete. If you havenā€™t posted in that time frame you just wait until the time skip and write a recap for your character. This keeps the story ongoing and makes sure you donā€™t get stuck meandering around with no direction.

Additionally monitoring how the posting is distributed and adjusting as needed. You donā€™t want one person spamming the thread with fifty replies while half the players are away. You also donā€™t want to have one or two people left behind because they have busy schedules.

Last edited:
Dibbydoo Dibbydoo So those kinds of role plays were literally all I did for years. The longest running role plays I have ever taken part in where both of the gifted school variety.

what kept them both going were three things

1. Hands on GM/Mods. People behind the scenes that where willing to keep enthusiasm going, monitor Player disputes, and make sure everyone had a chance to post.
2. Mini Missions. So schools are hella boring if all you focus on is class and teen cliques. So mini missions are ways to give you characters something concrete to do. It can be something as simple as having school festivals or field trips or it can be as complicated as having missions to complete where the characters practice their powers. The key is to start with at least one calendar year of mini missions already planned out (field trips, festivals, power practice, etc. whatever fits your particular narrative really)

Then have your players submit ideas for additional mini missions as the roleplay progresses. Or even build on previous missions outcomes. Ex. If during power training your players accidentally destroy one of the school dorms well your next activity can be co-Ed sleep overs and other teen shenanigans.

3. Time skipping. This one is vital to keeping engagement up. Basically each mini mission has a set time period for completion (IRL). So depending on how fast your players post you can do like each mini mission takes two weeks IRL to complete. If you havenā€™t posted in that time frame you just wait until the time skip and write a recap for your character. This keeps the story ongoing and makes sure you donā€™t get stuck meandering around with no direction.

Additionally monitoring how the posting is distributed and adjusting as needed. You donā€™t want one person spamming the thread with fifty replies while half the players are away. You also donā€™t want to have one or two people left behind because they have busy schedules.
Those tips are applicable to almost any RP. The main problem with [Genre] High School RPs is that they're repetitive and people don't try to make them interesting.

Yeah...

If I ran a highschool thread, I would go for subjects not typically touched upon. Fun things like students disappearing, the bitchy girls performing frame jobs, raids by the kindergarteners...

Those tips are applicable to almost any RP. The main problem with [Genre] High School RPs is that they're repetitive and people don't try to make them interesting.

Yeah but those are especially helpful in making the school roleplay interesting. Because surprisingly few people think about what characters are actually going to do in school roleplay despite the setting being tailor made to make mini missions/time skips work beautifully.

Not really embarrassed, just more so don't want to do it and have some small fry try and bend it harder than bender facing a girder.

1: A Prototype inspired developmental RP set in the Vietnam war. The developmental meaning that as long as someone can handwave a logical explanation on how to invent their own stuff, they would be able to make up random technology or abilities. Time progression wouldn't really matter, and would more so work like a story faction builder. Or essentially the players would control random NPCs and their characters while mods or more trusted would play the heads of the actual factions. Within these the players would either just make their own military formations like a regiment at most.

They have to communicate with each other and occasionally with the faction leader. The point would be trying to achieve objectives while fighting hostile entities and troops, as well as more fantastical superhumans. Following standardized rules than what a lot of this place has, your characters could be captured, killed, injured, etc in logical circumstances. You and all you control die? Then make a new one or join another existing group as an officer.

2: A Vampiric focused D&D styled game that is also a murder mystery game.

3: I've always wanted to create characters like a literal sentient and moveable lamp. This would injure and kill targets through zapping them or bashing themselves into them. It would communicate by a form of Morse code conducted by turning the light on and off. It could also nod up and down and to the sides, jumping, and bashing itself into a wall for auditory communication. The settings this could work in I can't join with it exactly because lamps usually don't exist in the time period. It's more like a joke character on pretty/sexy lampshades, but if it was also equally taken seriously. Why get dragged by someone to continue a story, when it can just hop beside and without you manhandling it to progress? Also traversing a dark cave with a dying light is no problem anymore.

Also a semi-morphing type character that can turn their arms, head, and hair into blades but tries pretending to be a cheerful, curious, and kind human. And depending on how it is found out, if at all, and how it is reacted to, try and deal with the situation slowly. Albeit in some scenarios the involvement of major injury may occur. After this, they may revert to a cold and cautious state with a monotone. Depending on events, they might genuinely feel and have a easier and more realistic time trying to emote. That one I just don't try because of how hard it'd be to perform in a setting if it can't even last 12 pages. Also some people would scream "OHHH MUH GAWD! ITZA LAS PLAGAS! WAGAGAGAGAGAGH" or some other freaky thing. The closest I got to testing the concept was a nation builder with magic, which they just ended up being a race of snake or so looking worms born into or drills into a usually consenting host and turns them into a Vulcan. The parasite could however reproduce too. -

-By the time it ended, the only at-all-times-available weakness I could make then show off being fire, and the host was planned to die if their heart was destroyed. I've been building the concept extremely slowly in free time, and it's a bit more different now. I can understand people freaking out especially if it was by a self insert or attention seeking universe centerer, but like necromancy there tends to be a universal absolutely zero attempts to figure out what the intent is let alone reading the rest of the concept. I remember a guy trying to play as a ghost that just floats around talking to people, and a mod was bullied to get rid of it because someone thought it would summon a god sword to slaughter everything. The guy couldn't even touch someone without falling through, so how the hell that could happen I don't know.

Another one would be a mute character with a trader background. They would also use faster paced sign language as a method of attack. Because it is assumed they'd be a lone wolf due to being mute, it's pretty difficult to join anything without a mod annoying you.

Another character would be a hair bender. They would like toying with victims and gathering their hair. While able to walk, they would prefer the utilization of using their own hair. Despite being creepy, preferring the night and stalking targets or intimidating them, and might as well have no standards when it comes to dealing with foes, they would prefer socializing but be relatively awkward. They'd hate cleaning blood or gore from their own or other's hair, so usually commit to pacifying attacks unless in a type of toying mood around multiple entities. I never did that one because I never found a setting for it.

The last one would be a sentient mannequin possessed by a spirit, but can speak despite physically and visually being incapable. Unlike the lamp they would be relatively more self mobile, but equally be sort of like a weeping angel. When not trying to lure a hostile entity closer, they would be far more mobile under a combat or rage scenario while having a strange movement gait. This all being a form of indirect psychological warfare. If it was allowed they'd be able to at least turn random enemy NPCs into puppets/mannequins if defeated, and through a systematic and lengthy process, as well as having wooden faces and be easier to put down. Essentially the great puppeteer build but with extra steps. The difference being they could be accumulated, and swarm enemies. Alternatively, could be utilized as a form of fear of puppets and all, trapping and trolling people in abandoned house type scenarios. This one is relatively new, so I've never tried using it yet. Though I feel there is only a niche setting periodically it could work in.

All the ideas but one don't exactly have a gender. The hair one alone could however just be made into a guy with super stretchy and longer hair. For a lot they seem more akin to a race/ability template. Though I am embarrassed about the idea of potentially having to ask about the lamp one. "Yeah heyo, so how ya feel about sentient lamps?" Also: [insert swear word here due to not having one in this post. Unless you're one of those knobheads that think hell is a curse word.]

That's the plot of a Stephen King novel right there!

I'd buy that book. xD

>>
<<

...Alright, I'll admit. It's been a long time since I've done something purely slice of life/romance/sandbox. We're talking typical anime high school/dorm/anything like that RPs. Simple, random, open to new players, the kind you'd enter when your writing skill is about the equivalent of a six year old writing their first fanfiction. I just miss the simplicity of it all. There hasn't been a lot of those lately and that's pretty understandable since we're starting to branch off from those ideas into more original ones, but I can't deny I miss them.

I also lowkey want to just RP a manic pixie dream girl kinda storyline but with a girls' love twist. I've been writing FxF solo for so long. I crave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back