Other Things that make you write off a user?

Anamnesis

Too Many Thoughts
To clarify, I mean more 'first impression' kind of things. Such as a certain type of avatar, name, signature or what have you that makes you immediately go 'hm, no.'

I recently noticed that I do this, but I had never realized that I was. Looking over people with avatars pertaining to anime or k-pop, looking over people whose accounts are named after a canon character, etc. Realizing I do this without actually intending to made me curious if it's something you guys catch yourself doing as well, intentionally or otherwise!

i can usually tell i'm not going to get along with somebody just by the way they speak within the first few messages. if they don't come off as mature, or they don't seem like they're going to help me plot, i drop them. those are usually the two big indicators.

Hmmm...things that make me write off someone...

Well, for starters, whenever someone does something like naming themselves after the devil, adding a "666" for the heck of it, and the like, I tend to write them off as edgy. I think it's overall preferable to do that over thinking that they are genuinely aiming at disrespecting me or that they are genuinely trying to admire the bloody devil.

Beyond that it's a matter of what they say when they are allowed to take the reigns. It speaks volumes to where their priorities are, after all, if the only way they can describe a character is submissive or dominant, or if that's the thing that's important to them. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not my cup of tea. Same thing when somene keeps giving me indifferent answers and seems to have little to no preference, with the ultimat expression being those people who "are willing to play pretty much anything". Were I to list everything in interest checks that turns me away immediately, we'd still be here tomorrow probably. Maybe if I come up with a good list that covers most of it, maybe I'll edit it in later.

I also tend to have a bit of a problem with people who go around saying they are bored. Like...you're in the internet. The only way to still be bored is to not be trying to entertain yourself.

Of course, none of this is to say that I can't be friendly with any or all of these people. In fact, I make a point of making sure I include all those edgy devil/666 people in my daily site welcomings. To me, a first impression at most means that I will not interact with you of my own accord, but I may still give you a chance regardless, even if my disposition isn't quite favorable.

I tend to write off peeps that don't have a profile picture set up ^^'

It's this weird feeling that if he isn't dedicated enough to put a pic for his internet persona he wouldn't be really invested in RP

I mostly do it based off of personality. Unfourtanetly I'm too nice and won't get rid of them unless their writing really sucks (which it does a lot of the time).

I tend to write off peeps that don't have a profile picture set up ^^'

It's this weird feeling that if he isn't dedicated enough to put a pic for his internet persona he wouldn't be really invested in RP
I feel this way as well.

Certain avatars turn me off immediately but I don't have a very specific "this kind of avatar turns me off" kind of thing.

Some avatars may turn me off but it's never a reason to not talk to a person if they wish to discuss rp. After all we are allowed to have different tastes in things.

So it's mostly based on conversation and personality, I guess. Sometimes writing samples also can affect it.
When you talk to a person for a bit you can probably see if you click or no. For me it's important to click with rp partner in personalities and writing style, because if the differences are too big, there is a high chance I won't enjoy the rp.

I don’t think I’m really turned away by avatars or usernames. It’s fine for people to have different tastes, after all, and I dunno, I don’t like basing my first impressions on their username or avatar.

What turns me away is always how someone acts. It really bothers me if someone constantly responds in tiny sentences or with horrific grammar and they don’t contribute anything to plotting or even having a conversation. Those types of people are always the ones to reply in one-liners...

Of course, I’ll also be massively turned away if someone acts rude or snobby. Everyone has things they don’t want to RP, and that’s fine, but if people act snobby about it, as if they’re superior to everyone else just because they like or dislike something, that really bothers me.

I won’t roleplay with anyone who:

Puts desperate or bored in their search title. It comes across as too needy/impatient.

Anyone who describes roleplay like dating

Anyone who describes their characters as damsels in distress, bottoms/tops, seems/ukes, or dominant/submissive.

I just see those words I don’t bother to read the rest of the check and just walk away.

I won’t roleplay with anyone who:

Puts desperate or bored in their search title. It comes across as too needy/impatient.

Anyone who describes roleplay like dating

Anyone who describes their characters as damsels in distress, bottoms/tops, seems/ukes, or dominant/submissive.

I just see those words I don’t bother to read the rest of the check and just walk away.
This is why I do 't do 1x1.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the statement, "I'm bored" that makes y'all assume the person is a needy twat?

On my end, the things that tend to steer me away on search threads is a general lack of anything to indicate who you are as a rper and what you want. I usually don't contact people who only have a brief statement like, "hey i want to rp something with werewolves" simply because I don't want to have to play a game of 20 questions just to figure out if we're going to be compatible writers or not. My preferences are people who state what they're looking for in a partner, what they themselves are like and/or at least have some pairings listed or general plot ideas we can work with.

Like...you're in the internet. The only way to still be bored is to not be trying to entertain yourself.

I wouldn't say they are necessarily a "needy twat" or anything like that. Though boredom is something people ought to be able to solve themselves. So either they are complaining for the sake of complaining or they are if nothing else being lazy enough that they want you to solve this easily solvable problem for them. Strawberry Ink Strawberry Ink That's my opinion on the subject.

I wouldn't say they are necessarily a "needy twat" or anything like that. Though boredom is something people ought to be able to solve themselves. So either they are complaining for the sake of complaining or they are if nothing else being lazy enough that they want you to solve this easily solvable problem for them. Strawberry Ink Strawberry Ink That's my opinion on the subject.
So nobody takes it as a throwaway line? Also this, "they are if nothing else being lazy enough that they want you to solve this easily solvable problem for them" is kind of... mean spirited, no? Have you never gotten tired of rotating through the same activities? Lol I just can't wrap my head around the idea that people can get so irritated at or offended that someone could be bored on the internet. Especially if it's just a little introduction line they tossed in while looking for writing partners who also have nothing better to do.

So people who hate others who are bored but also don't want those same people to write off their search thread like it's a job application, what are some better introductions you'd prefer?

So nobody takes it as a throwaway line? Also this, "they are if nothing else being lazy enough that they want you to solve this easily solvable problem for them" is kind of... mean spirited, no? Have you never gotten tired of rotating through the same activities? Lol I just can't wrap my head around the idea that people can get so irritated at or offended that someone could be bored on the internet. Especially if it's just a little introduction line they tossed in while looking for writing partners who also have nothing better to do.

So people who hate others who are bored but also don't want those same people to write off their search thread like it's a job application, what are some better introductions you'd prefer?
Ah, no you misunderstand. I try not to get involved when that is the only thing in someone's content. If a search thread or status post is only about how bored they are, then that's something I have a bit of a problem with. If they happen to include that they are bored amidst actually pertinent content, that ain't an issue or really anything noteworthy.

Ah, no you misunderstand. I try not to get involved when that is the only thing in someone's content. If a search thread or status post is only about how bored they are, then that's something I have a bit of a problem with. If they happen to include that they are bored amidst actually pertinent content, that ain't an issue or really anything noteworthy.
Ahhh, thank you for clarifying! That makes a lot more sense to me now.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the statement, "I'm bored" that makes y'all assume the person is a needy twat?

On my end, the things that tend to steer me away on search threads is a general lack of anything to indicate who you are as a rper and what you want. I usually don't contact people who only have a brief statement like, "hey i want to rp something with werewolves" simply because I don't want to have to play a game of 20 questions just to figure out if we're going to be compatible writers or not. My preferences are people who state what they're looking for in a partner, what they themselves are like and/or at least have some pairings listed or general plot ideas we can work with.

Well for bored specifically I think it’s more that it comes across to me that you want me (the reader) to entertain you. It’s not so much needy as indicative of entitlement. Desperate on the other hand definitely reads like neediness to me. Like your going to harass me for replies constantly

Not saying that’s true but as we’re talking first impressions that’s what I think when I see those words in the title.

If they obviously don’t read my partner search thread. If they send me a PM with a title of “Hey” or something like that. Or if I don’t get anything in their PM, it’s just a sentence like “I like your Werewolf idea.” And nothing else.

These are all major pet peeves for me.

I view a request to RP with a person as a job Interview. If you aren’t invested enough to give me a quality message telling me about what you like and what you want from the story, then you aren’t invested enough for me. And I’ve told people this before.

People who make a very specific spelling error where they use an apostrophe in a pluralized word and make it look like a possessive, like saying cake's instead of cakes. Most grammatical errors I can put up with as long as they're not super common, but I see someone do this once and they're immediately not worth my time.

I tend to write someone off if they're unwilling to write prose/paragraphs. Given that I use RP as a writing exercise, I'm not interested in RPs where asterisks are the primary mode of communication. Nothing against anyone who's into that, it's just not my cup of tea. ;)

I tend to write someone off if they're unwilling to write prose/paragraphs. Given that I use RP as a writing exercise, I'm not interested in RPs where asterisks are the primary mode of communication. Nothing against anyone who's into that, it's just not my cup of tea. ;)
Wait. People do that here? I thought that was kind of a profile post exclusive thing.

Wait. People do that here? I thought that was kind of a profile post exclusive thing.
Not sure if it's done here, but I've seen it be the primary form of roleplay within some circles. Pretty much every non-RPer I know thinks RP is just using asterisks, so it's alive somewhere LMAO.

It's called script RPing, and it's a rather popular form of RPing in many sites and specifically in chat platforms. It's a niche and not very-well received type of roleplay here on RPN though.

It's called script RPing, and it's a rather popular form of RPing in many sites and specifically in chat platforms. It's a niche and not very-well received type of roleplay here on RPN though.
Yes, I knew that. I used to roleplay on a minecraft server where we did that. Now I only do it when it's in profile posts.

This is why I do 't do 1x1.
I've personally had way worse experiences when doing group RPs, so I avoid those. GMing is stressful for me; I lack the guts to turn people away (I've still done it but it's hard). Trying to organize everything, make frequent posts, read everyone else's posts and catch up on them, make sure everything is going okay and everyone is following rules... I hate doing that. I've had so many people try to join my group RPs without reading the rules.
Even when I join other people's group RPs, all kinds of annoying stuff happens - things die out extremely quickly, everyone else ignores me in spite of the fact that I'm trying to interact, the GM allows Mary Sues or godmodders or otherwise annoying people into the RP even when they're clearly breaking rules, people try to start drama for some reason or other, etc etc, it's all miserable and I don't like group RPs lol

I guess, along those lines, I'm the type of person to write someone off if they really don't seem like the type to read rules. I can tell if someone has read my post or not, and if it's obvious that they haven't, then I don't want to RP with them...

There are three kinds of users I avoid whenever possible:
  • "I just think Trump is the lesser of two evils, haven't you ever watched South Park?", bonus points for waifu or lolita avatar
  • "my delicatea feefees,,, why areu u so meain??????"
  • Basically anyone I remember dealing with as a moderator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back