• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Other
Here
Sanctus took a glance up, feeling eyes upon him, and gave Glacier a flicker of a smile that was meant to inspire confidence that he was all right, but the expression fell so immediately that it was entirely shallow. Streaks where tears had fallen remained on his face and down his muzzle.

"He's gone," he muttered, looking up at her. "I joked about him getting close to biting the dust, wanting to get a reaction from him, but the fool gone and did it now. Those things took him far before I wanted anything like that to happen. I don't know if me or Origin is taking it worse, to be honest."

Looking around, one can find Origin in a corner of the room, expression sullen. Snapjaw seemed to keep his distance from everyone, weighing them and feeling contented that none of his guards had come even close to dying since the wind tunnel trap. Perhaps part of the contentment was, for future reference, that whatever old but still legible posters were in the other rooms were ripped down and facing the floor, never to greet another passer-by again unless something was done about it. Others thought of the grim fates of their fellow dragons, with the exceptions, including Astrid, looking around the area. Now that the monsters had been closed off, things might be better for now until they start to move again.

Glacier glanced around the room noticing how everyone has seemingly lost all hope. Her expression also seemed down a large frown marked her muzzle. Snapjaw, though glad that his guards made it out alive, wasn’t remotely sad about the death of some of the rebels..

She saw his expression, something that didn’t invoke sadness for the amount of death. He had that toothy grin a confidence that never was snuffed no matter the incident. Glacier sat by Origin giving her a smile though looked away with her saddened look.
“I’m sorry you had to see that.”

She stated to Origin, she bet the death of her friend destroyed her.
Snapjaw marched through the lines of those who were left. Like he was ready to give them some sort of speech in his hearty voice.

A Grim Turnaround and a Duel
"It's . . . certainly tough," Originmaw started, her chin raised to look up at Glacier. Her eyes appeared to be on the verge of crying, but no tears trickled down yet. "I wasn't there, but I wonder if I could have made a difference if I was, for him or the others. Some I even knew their names in the end. And now they have passed beyond the shadows of the world. As a nature dragon I should celebrate life and still welcome death to restart the cycle, but, well . . . again, it's tough."

The floodgates started to creak open, but Snapjaw started to pace through the room with a stiff expression, earning Origin's attention. Hands drawn back behind his back, the elder walked with his silver blade's hilt glistening in the low light.

"I'd hate to break this up, but if those things are on their way up we should move quickly if we are to escape," Snapjaw said, his lip curling. "We should go fast, too. There is no room for sightseeing. Now, is there a better entrance than the room with the giant fan? One without a vertical drop? We have some landbounds with us, and a rope if available would be too slow, unless we bring them up individually."

Sanctus glared daggers at the old man, not desiring to speak even a syllable even under the circumstances. Rheyn huffed and rose to full height after propping himself up by the knee.

"There is another way back up via staircase. That is our best bet, but this is not all of us. Others are pocketed elsewhere in this facility in a safe area."

Snapjaw seemed to scratch his chin gently as if contemplating the situation, but Sanctus could not restrain himself from speaking anew with a twisted, rueful smile: "Oh, don't be coy. You know what happened to them, Snapjaw, don't you? After all, you killed them, didn't you?"

Snapjaw visibly jumped, looking behind him with a shackling frown, at Sanctus first and the other parts of the room second. Many if not all eyes were upon him and his sins.

"Self-defense is an easy claim here. They drew their--"

"You drew first. After all, you drew first with me in a surprise attack. My eye is proof of that."

People started murmuring. Astrid to Chiron, rebel to rebel, Origin to Glacier.

"Glacier? Is this true?" she asked, her face that of sudden terror.

"It's . . . certainly tough," Originmaw started, her chin raised to look up at Glacier. Her eyes appeared to be on the verge of crying, but no tears trickled down yet. "I wasn't there, but I wonder if I could have made a difference if I was, for him or the others. Some I even knew their names in the end. And now they have passed beyond the shadows of the world. As a nature dragon I should celebrate life and still welcome death to restart the cycle, but, well . . . again, it's tough."

The floodgates started to creak open, but Snapjaw started to pace through the room with a stiff expression, earning Origin's attention. Hands drawn back behind his back, the elder walked with his silver blade's hilt glistening in the low light.

"I'd hate to break this up, but if those things are on their way up we should move quickly if we are to escape," Snapjaw said, his lip curling. "We should go fast, too. There is no room for sightseeing. Now, is there a better entrance than the room with the giant fan? One without a vertical drop? We have some landbounds with us, and a rope if available would be too slow, unless we bring them up individually."

Sanctus glared daggers at the old man, not desiring to speak even a syllable even under the circumstances. Rheyn huffed and rose to full height after propping himself up by the knee.

"There is another way back up via staircase. That is our best bet, but this is not all of us. Others are pocketed elsewhere in this facility in a safe area."

Snapjaw seemed to scratch his chin gently as if contemplating the situation, but Sanctus could not restrain himself from speaking anew with a twisted, rueful smile: "Oh, don't be coy. You know what happened to them, Snapjaw, don't you? After all, you killed them, didn't you?"

Snapjaw visibly jumped, looking behind him with a shackling frown, at Sanctus first and the other parts of the room second. Many if not all eyes were upon him and his sins.

"Self-defense is an easy claim here. They drew their--"

"You drew first. After all, you drew first with me in a surprise attack. My eye is proof of that."

People started murmuring. Astrid to Chiron, rebel to rebel, Origin to Glacier.

"Glacier? Is this true?" she asked, her face that of sudden terror.

Glacier had her maw open ready for an answer. Nothing came out, she glanced to Snapjaw wondering what he thought. She heard everything about what he did earlier when it was just her and Sanctus.
“I-well, Sanctus was pushing too hard. He thought he’d be betrayed by a bandit, so…”

She glanced at Sanctus, he was ready to pounce on Snapjaw she saw he was reaching for his dagger..
“Look, we’ll straighten this out we’ll let the law decide here.”

Sanctus and Snapjaw were glaring at each other, a small argument insued.

“You know what you did! Look around, everyone is thinking differently if you now. I even bet you don’t care about the lives that you taken. Even Merrimac’s you would’ve killed him if you had a chance!”

Sanctus was continuing to yell at Snapjaw..

Snapjaw started to recuperate, his burning glare transforming back into his quiescent smile at the rogue's jibing remarks. He felt that it did not matter what he said. Sanctus could not prove anything, and the law would be on his side without any condemning evidence.

"Now that is taking things a step too far, young friend," he stated, making sure that he spiced up the last word with sarcasm. "You do not know what happened besides what I told you, then or now. What you are saying is drivel and that alone."

"Then what if we head down there and find out, hmm?" Rheyn offered. While his tone was playful, his mouth was gravely set. "We will see what the scene looks like and make our assessment there."

Snapjaw's jaw tightened.

"Well, certainly. But those metal creatures are on the roam," he objected. "While I can slip past most lines, this many people would only attract attention and result in us getting caught."

"That should be fine. We have a speed dragon. Come on up, Quinnel."

A red-scaled dragon approached, lightly armoured with padded clothing. He had an honest and young face, undamaged by years of experience roughing it with undesirables.

"With someone as fleet of foot and mind as him we can get a report within minutes without stirring a single machine," Doctor Rheyn continued, mien as still as night. "Unlike most here, I trust him to be fair. Sound good?"

Snapjaw looked him over, not used to speed dragons. Same with Origin, who had only ever heard of them. As fast as an arrow, or so talks say, and she got to see a little bit of his speed when he looked toward Rheyn, nodded, and bounded toward the double-doors, pushing them open and heading through in record speed, faster than Snapjaw.

The old man looked thoughtful, staring between Rheyn and Sanctus suspiciously. His hands were on his hips, dangerously close to his blade.

Snapjaw started to recuperate, his burning glare transforming back into his quiescent smile at the rogue's jibing remarks. He felt that it did not matter what he said. Sanctus could not prove anything, and the law would be on his side without any condemning evidence.

"Now that is taking things a step too far, young friend," he stated, making sure that he spiced up the last word with sarcasm. "You do not know what happened besides what I told you, then or now. What you are saying is drivel and that alone."

"Then what if we head down there and find out, hmm?" Rheyn offered. While his tone was playful, his mouth was gravely set. "We will see what the scene looks like and make our assessment there."

Snapjaw's jaw tightened.

"Well, certainly. But those metal creatures are on the roam," he objected. "While I can slip past most lines, this many people would only attract attention and result in us getting caught."

"That should be fine. We have a speed dragon. Come on up, Quinnel."

A red-scaled dragon approached, lightly armoured with padded clothing. He had an honest and young face, undamaged by years of experience roughing it with undesirables.

"With someone as fleet of foot and mind as him we can get a report within minutes without stirring a single machine," Doctor Rheyn continued, mien as still as night. "Unlike most here, I trust him to be fair. Sound good?"

Snapjaw looked him over, not used to speed dragons. Same with Origin, who had only ever heard of them. As fast as an arrow, or so talks say, and she got to see a little bit of his speed when he looked toward Rheyn, nodded, and bounded toward the double-doors, pushing them open and heading through in record speed, faster than Snapjaw.

The old man looked thoughtful, staring between Rheyn and Sanctus suspiciously. His hands were on his hips, dangerously close to his blade.

Glacier watched the ordeal she didn’t know what they’ll find when arriving..
The group followed the speed dragon, down fimiliar corridors with pictures of their ancestors painted on. The atmosphere of the room was silent no one said a word after the argument.

Floor after floor they climbed. Whirring of machines could be heard off in the distance forcing the group to stop. The speed dragon peeked the corner, all throughout it was machines seemingly doing some busy work. If one looked close enough a dead dragon was dragged out into the hall.

It had scratch marks, possibly from a sword. Was this Snapjaw’s doing? And the machines were cleaning up the carnage?

The speed dragon looked defeated as he turned toward the main group again, his long, sleek head like that of a greyhound slumped and his thin shoulders sagged.

"That was Erst the metal beings were dragging away," he commented sadly. "Some sort of sword slashes were on him, not very clean cuts, and not in the same directions. Could be them. Could be him. Either way he died running."

"Yes, and with that goes most of our chances for success in figuring this story out, if they were to drag away all of the bodies," Rheyn responded in disappointment. "Sanctus."

"What is it?" the other queried, his live eye focused on the doctor, almost glaringly so as if he dreaded what was going to be said.

"These metal beings are dangerous," continued Rheyn, his head bowed somberly, "and they are already here. I do not think it best to risk everyone's lives for the sake of our fallen, whether or not this one is at fault. In the end it was self-defense of slaughter, and there's a few among the others that would hav--"

Something else clattered down the hall, promoting silence, but it was nothing that sounded metallic. This earned the attention from the speed dragon who zipped back to the corner and peered an eye out from behind it. Surprise lit up his face as he saw a blue-scaled dragon -- about half the size of a normal dragon -- slip out of the room with the bodies and headed in their direction, trying to pad his way through the metal and stone corridors. If Glacier saw him, she might be surprised to see that he was a mountain dragon.

"Ylem? Ylem!" the speed dragon hissed quietly in a hushed whisper. "Over here! It's me, Quinnel!"

"Quinnel?" asked the other, making his way over to the group with consistent worried looks over his shoulder. He made it and fell into a grateful embrace around Quinnel's much longer leg before freezing and jolting back. "What's the meaning of this?"

"What do you mean?" asked Quinnel.

"That man there killed everyone I was with. That one there!" spat Ylem, pointing a small arm towards Snapjaw, who frowned at the little dragon and clutched his sword's hilt as if by instinct.

Glacier eyes widened, another mountain dragon! She’d never seen any other of her kind since, well, forever ago. They only live high out on the mountain on the island.
Her shock was suppressed by glancing at Snapjaw. Putting a claw on his shoulder.
“I know their the enemy sir but we should let the law decide their fate. With all due respect.”

The machines nearby were still doing their own thing. Have not heard the nearby dragons.
Glacier approached the mountain dragon having a curious question for him.

“Wow, another mountain dragon. What’re you doing this far away from the mountain tops?”

The old Snapjaw gave Glacier a curt glare before looking back at the accusing finger of the other mountain dragon. His displeasure of both the situation and naming her the leading officer for the operation was like black bile burning like vitriol, but his hand did recede from the blade. This was a bit of a mess.

Ylem, the mountain dragon rebel, lowered his pointed finger, though not his ire. He still stared daggers at Sanctua until Glacier opened up a new thing that momentarily arrested his attention.

"Another?" he voiced skeptically, looking Glacier over. Wings, eyes, nose, claws, teeth, height -- he did a thorough inspection and frowned. "You are pretty tall, even for a mountain dragon, but a mountain dragon all the same. As for why I'm away, it doesn't matter much. What does matter is that you keep an eye on that one there, unless it doesn't matter much to you all. But why are you here and . . . together? You're guards. We're our own. Am I missing something big?"

Rheyn looked over to Quinnel, who breathed deeply, in and out.

"Some guards and a civvy wanted something to do with Sanctus here. We were all locked away in a room away from everyone, with these crazy death creatures on the other side, but we worked together to get out of this mess. We heard of what happened and came down here. I'm . . . I am glad you survived."

"No thanks to buttmuncher over there," spat Ylem with a stamp of his foot. "He killed everyone without a second thought. If I weren't hiding behind something, I would've been dead too. Wanna know their names, crockety killer? I bet you don't, or you'll lose a wee bit of sleep over it."

"And I tell you he's lying," Snapjaw responded calmly. "These comrades of yours attacked me first because they did not come quietly. They fought to the last, excepting you who slunk into a hiding hole."

Ylem hissed and returned fire, "Quietly! You call death here or death by hanging a resolution? Some drew swords, but it was you who went in further, not us to you. I heard cries from outside too. The blood stains are still out there. Marge was defenseless and you cut her down all the same!"

Rheyn stepped in and barked, "Enough. No blood will be spilled here, and enough was said. We just need more evidence. Glacier, was it? Take the accused person's sword for safe keeping. He may still have need of it if we are to fight more of those monsters, so keep it out."

Snapjaw's knuckles shook desperately on his hilt, clutching it more tightly than ever before. His face was that of an besieged animal before its claws are taken from it.

"You would not dare lay a hand on my sword, Glacier. Remember who taught you how to handle one."

The old Snapjaw gave Glacier a curt glare before looking back at the accusing finger of the other mountain dragon. His displeasure of both the situation and naming her the leading officer for the operation was like black bile burning like vitriol, but his hand did recede from the blade. This was a bit of a mess.

Ylem, the mountain dragon rebel, lowered his pointed finger, though not his ire. He still stared daggers at Sanctua until Glacier opened up a new thing that momentarily arrested his attention.

"Another?" he voiced skeptically, looking Glacier over. Wings, eyes, nose, claws, teeth, height -- he did a thorough inspection and frowned. "You are pretty tall, even for a mountain dragon, but a mountain dragon all the same. As for why I'm away, it doesn't matter much. What does matter is that you keep an eye on that one there, unless it doesn't matter much to you all. But why are you here and . . . together? You're guards. We're our own. Am I missing something big?"

Rheyn looked over to Quinnel, who breathed deeply, in and out.

"Some guards and a civvy wanted something to do with Sanctus here. We were all locked away in a room away from everyone, with these crazy death creatures on the other side, but we worked together to get out of this mess. We heard of what happened and came down here. I'm . . . I am glad you survived."

"No thanks to buttmuncher over there," spat Ylem with a stamp of his foot. "He killed everyone without a second thought. If I weren't hiding behind something, I would've been dead too. Wanna know their names, crockety killer? I bet you don't, or you'll lose a wee bit of sleep over it."

"And I tell you he's lying," Snapjaw responded calmly. "These comrades of yours attacked me first because they did not come quietly. They fought to the last, excepting you who slunk into a hiding hole."

Ylem hissed and returned fire, "Quietly! You call death here or death by hanging a resolution? Some drew swords, but it was you who went in further, not us to you. I heard cries from outside too. The blood stains are still out there. Marge was defenseless and you cut her down all the same!"

Rheyn stepped in and barked, "Enough. No blood will be spilled here, and enough was said. We just need more evidence. Glacier, was it? Take the accused person's sword for safe keeping. He may still have need of it if we are to fight more of those monsters, so keep it out."

Snapjaw's knuckles shook desperately on his hilt, clutching it more tightly than ever before. His face was that of an besieged animal before its claws are taken from it.

"You would not dare lay a hand on my sword, Glacier. Remember who taught you how to handle one."

Glacier listened to the others argue, all this debating whether SnapJaw murdered these rebels. As Ylem scanned the female she smirked, noticing how much smaller he was. Was the rebels really recruiting such young soldiers?

Snapjaw’s expression scared her but to not show her weakness she held her head high, looking brave. Snapjaw though looked crazed the ideology he beloved in was embedded in all guards. However, it seemed he took it to heart..
“Snapjaw, sir, as soon as we get out and straighten everything, I promise your weapon will be returned. As for now, give it here. We don’t need anymore bloodshed. You taught me many things. One of them being mercy..”

She reached for his weapon, gripping its handle. It rung being pulled from its sheath.
“There was also an other saying you taught me; Never underestimate your foe..”

Using her tail she wrapped it around his leg secretly. Giving it a yank to pull him off balance..

Snapjaw listened half-intently, not having any craving to relinquish the weapon, but Glacier's naivete gave him some inspiration to allow the passage of his sword into her hands. His hand slunk to his sheath to allow a simpler passage of its contents to her custody, but her additional words brought him into a reactionary state. His hand tightened on the sheath and the blade within, preventing it from being fully drawn, and the yank from her tail removed his root. Her "naivete" was a ruse. It had to be. She was cunning like he had taught her, and it was for that reason she had to be put down.

Destabilised at first, he brought his foot up to catch new ground and succeeded. With a snarl and one hand still occupied by gripping the sheath binding the blade, Snapjaw next made an attempt to capture her other hand to lock her in place and use his other, free leg to kick or knee her square in the chest. If successful, he would free himself from her tail, but either way he would wrench the sword from her and tug it free.

"Fool girl! You've signed your own sentence!" he remarked, the anger rising to the surface again as his old eyes flamed.

His sword slashed diagonally towards Glacier, aimed so that it would, if it struck her, go from her right shoulder to her left torso. Everyone backed away -- the good doctor, the speed dragon, the other mountain dragon, Sanctus . . . everyone. They did not anticipate Glacier's move, nor Snapjaw's turning his weapon on her in the end. Glacier was alone and needed to do something to prevent her being cut.

Snapjaw listened half-intently, not having any craving to relinquish the weapon, but Glacier's naivete gave him some inspiration to allow the passage of his sword into her hands. His hand slunk to his sheath to allow a simpler passage of its contents to her custody, but her additional words brought him into a reactionary state. His hand tightened on the sheath and the blade within, preventing it from being fully drawn, and the yank from her tail removed his root. Her "naivete" was a ruse. It had to be. She was cunning like he had taught her, and it was for that reason she had to be put down.

Destabilised at first, he brought his foot up to catch new ground and succeeded. With a snarl and one hand still occupied by gripping the sheath binding the blade, Snapjaw next made an attempt to capture her other hand to lock her in place and use his other, free leg to kick or knee her square in the chest. If successful, he would free himself from her tail, but either way he would wrench the sword from her and tug it free.

"Fool girl! You've signed your own sentence!" he remarked, the anger rising to the surface again as his old eyes flamed.

His sword slashed diagonally towards Glacier, aimed so that it would, if it struck her, go from her right shoulder to her left torso. Everyone backed away -- the good doctor, the speed dragon, the other mountain dragon, Sanctus . . . everyone. They did not anticipate Glacier's move, nor Snapjaw's turning his weapon on her in the end. Glacier was alone and needed to do something to prevent her being cut.

Her tail was caught! The knee to her chest knocked the wind out of her.
Her tail relinquished from Snapjaw the sword was no longer in her control.
The words Snapjaw spoke gave her grave sadness. Her once teacher would now be her would be killer.

Glacier backed away from the crazed dragon, after his strike she rushed.
Pushing him into the wall, while delivering several punches to his chest and one to his face. She fought for the sword a claw pinned the sword to the wall.
She continued to punched his stomach. Pulling his arm forward a crack sounded from his shoulder. Hopefully he dropped the sword..

Like Glacier, Snapjaw was fast and armoured, and most of the blows of her punches were absorbed and dispersed by his armour. The punch to the face rattled his jaw, but his eyes flashed with a dangerous glint.

Snapjaw was well acquainted with close-quarters combat, and even a dislocated shoulder, however painful, was not enough to bring him down. Fighting through the physical anguish lancing through his shoulder, he planted some calculated kicks to her legs, aimed for the sides of her knees to force them to bend. Whether or not she would fall, he would hold on tightly to his sword while bringing into the play his own long, serpentine tail. The tail pushed with the rest of his body forward in an attempt to have Snapjaw overpower her and push her down with his knees locking her shoulders.

He would not be successful, whether it be through Glacier's efforts or not, others took to action, chiefly one who was an unlikely ally in this scrap: Origin. Her roots reacted instinctively around her hand as she punched him back to the wall, grown out and armouring her outstretched arm. Snapjaw sagged back, eyes darting to her, then to the onslaught of people as they rushed in to help.

Sanctus pulled out a dagger, relishing the idea of planting it in his gut, but did not get far before the attack was blown back by Snapjaw's tail. It was only a matter of time, though, before he succumbed to everyone, but for now he alternated his sword to his working arm and tried to give a thrust to Glacier, if Glacier had let it go.

Like Glacier, Snapjaw was fast and armoured, and most of the blows of her punches were absorbed and dispersed by his armour. The punch to the face rattled his jaw, but his eyes flashed with a dangerous glint.

Snapjaw was well acquainted with close-quarters combat, and even a dislocated shoulder, however painful, was not enough to bring him down. Fighting through the physical anguish lancing through his shoulder, he planted some calculated kicks to her legs, aimed for the sides of her knees to force them to bend. Whether or not she would fall, he would hold on tightly to his sword while bringing into the play his own long, serpentine tail. The tail pushed with the rest of his body forward in an attempt to have Snapjaw overpower her and push her down with his knees locking her shoulders.

He would not be successful, whether it be through Glacier's efforts or not, others took to action, chiefly one who was an unlikely ally in this scrap: Origin. Her roots reacted instinctively around her hand as she punched him back to the wall, grown out and armouring her outstretched arm. Snapjaw sagged back, eyes darting to her, then to the onslaught of people as they rushed in to help.

Sanctus pulled out a dagger, relishing the idea of planting it in his gut, but did not get far before the attack was blown back by Snapjaw's tail. It was only a matter of time, though, before he succumbed to everyone, but for now he alternated his sword to his working arm and tried to give a thrust to Glacier, if Glacier had let it go.

She should’ve seen that coming. Snapjaw could fight even if he was blinded..
Glacier was forced down her vision looking to the floor. She was pinned, and was ready for the pain of being stabbed. Although, the pain never came, yet.
Sitting up she saw Origin her roots have enveloped her claw. She realized her friend punched him. Giving an accepted smile.

“I’m sorry sir…”

She stated sadly. She held out her claw. For everyone to stop.
“No, he’s mine. Let me finish him.”

She rolled out of the way. Landing near Sanctus dropped dagger.
She picked it up, whirling around and jabbed it forward. Giving it a few slashes if he dodged the first attack.

Last edited:
Origin smiled back wanly, happy to help, but the situation was anything but kind. She felt somewhat useless, never really doing anything to fight before today, but for once she was pleased with her action. Still, she acknowledged what Glacier had said. It was Glacier's superior, her fight to resolve, and while Origin wanted to urge her to reconsider Glacier's mind was made up. The others backed away too, even Sanctus, who growled in displeasure and stayed nearby. He readied himself to spring in if Glacier fell for good.

Snapjaw could not reset his arm back in the socket in time before Glacier sprang in, and his focus darted back to her as he deflected the thrust and following blows. He went away from the wall, space being his ally against a shorter weapon such as a dagger.

Then he was on the offensive. His blade was swift as well and long, not as fast as a rapier, but with a balance and weight capable of taking blows. A diagonal strike followed a horizontal slash. Immediately after, Snapjaw spun on both feet and twirled around, his tail low and tensed in an effort to sweep Glacier's legs from underneath her. The attacks made by his sword were done with his offhand, which meant they were less fluid even if they held the same amount of power within the sword's swing. An artful move made by Glacier can prove useful in making this a victory on her behalf.

She readied the dagger in her hand. She hopped over the tail sweep.
Ducking and dodging each attack thrown. Soon their blades clashed. Their blades being caught with sparks flying inbetween.
In a quick move she grabbed the blade shifting her weight downwards.
She pulled the blade with her, forcing him to let go and in one swift movement. Powerfully thrusting her dagger into Snapjaw. Right where the armor was the thinnest.

She didn’t hit anything majorly vital. After the final blow she gave him a kick to knock him down. She then grabbed his throat in her claw, holding his blade inbetween his eyes…

Her heavy breathing from the exertion was loud. She hoped he would surrender now.

“It’s over, give up and I might spare you..”

Snapjaw did not see that coming. The lesser finesse of his offhand was more exploitable than he had realised, and Glacier faster than he expected. Not having easy access to his other hand made parrying or an additional attack difficult and painful, and while he attempted it he was not quick enough, a new situation for him. It must be her heritage, he thought, or perhaps he trained her too well.

Blood seeped from his wound as he struggled to breathe. The chink in his armour that allowed better freedom of movement was penetrated, and he panted as he witnessed his own sword staring down at him. A twisted smile coiled on his face through the pain of both his arm and his stab.

" 'Might.' That's not a solid enough guarantee," he spoke raspily, her grasping hand making words form with difficulty in his throat. He did not seem to be giving up.

Four things happened next, almost simultaneously, and with the fluidity of someone good at multitasking. First, Snapjaw's tail rose behind Glacier to wrap around Glacier's own neck, and Snapjaw grabbed at the wrist of the hand around his throat to twist and attempt to snap it free at its weakest point. These were the first two actions. The second two were that Snapjaw attempted to twist his head free and to the right while he yanked the dagger free from his side (or on the floor) and attempt to do the same that was done to him: stab Glacier in a weak point on her hip.

He was in full fight-or-flight response, and flight was not a choice. He would bring Glacier down, and the others too if he got the chance, or die trying.

Snapjaw did not see that coming. The lesser finesse of his offhand was more exploitable than he had realised, and Glacier faster than he expected. Not having easy access to his other hand made parrying or an additional attack difficult and painful, and while he attempted it he was not quick enough, a new situation for him. It must be her heritage, he thought, or perhaps he trained her too well.

Blood seeped from his wound as he struggled to breathe. The chink in his armour that allowed better freedom of movement was penetrated, and he panted as he witnessed his own sword staring down at him. A twisted smile coiled on his face through the pain of both his arm and his stab.

" 'Might.' That's not a solid enough guarantee," he spoke raspily, her grasping hand making words form with difficulty in his throat. He did not seem to be giving up.

Four things happened next, almost simultaneously, and with the fluidity of someone good at multitasking. First, Snapjaw's tail rose behind Glacier to wrap around Glacier's own neck, and Snapjaw grabbed at the wrist of the hand around his throat to twist and attempt to snap it free at its weakest point. These were the first two actions. The second two were that Snapjaw attempted to twist his head free and to the right while he yanked the dagger free from his side (or on the floor) and attempt to do the same that was done to him: stab Glacier in a weak point on her hip.

He was in full fight-or-flight response, and flight was not a choice. He would bring Glacier down, and the others too if he got the chance, or die trying.

Glacier felt the tail wound around her neck. She choked, gasping for breath as she struggled to get free. Snapjaw was free instantly using the dagger like Sanctus used before. He slashed at his tail, causing a large gash that bled.

Once the tail slinked away she felt a sharp pain in her hip. Her wound bled coughing blood. She felt something burning within her like adrenaline kicking in. With the weapon still in her she sent a punch straight to Snapjaw’s face.

Over and over she punched and punched, jab after jab. If Snapjaw pleaded for mercy she didn’t listen. This was all infront of Origin and everyone else.
The weapon squelched as it was pulled out. Giving more jabs to his face, then the weapon was brought down towards his neck area.

The crowd gasped as the dagger found a home in Glacier's side, and Origin buried her face in her hands in horror. But something snapped in Glacier, and she returned blood for blood further with some swift punches and jabs of the sword. Snapjaw did not die quick, but he certainly continued to try fighting until the very end, weakly flailing with a locked jaw. His wounds ended up being too great, and he died before she accomplished the neck blow, his twitching, reaching hands collapsing to the floor. Snapjaw breathed his last.

The room was awash with silence, people not really knowing what to say or do, but Origin and Rheyn parted the crowd to check Glacier's wounds. Rheyn leaned over to inspect the physical one. Seeking the mental scarring, Origin knelt to observe Glacier's face, lips attempting to part but not finding the words. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Snapjaw would not recover this time.

"Glacier?" she voiced, her hand timidly reaching out to grab her friend's shoulder. She bit her lips in worry.

"Let's get away from here . . . all of us," Rheyn spoke in an exhausted tone of voice. "I will heal this wound when we are safe, but for now we are in a hall where those machines can come back anytime to clean up the mess.

"Glacier . . . can you move?" queried Origin, moving over to support her on the side without the wound, lifting her beneath the shoulder if need be. "He's right, and as soon as we get safe we'll heal you. Promise."

The crowd gasped as the dagger found a home in Glacier's side, and Origin buried her face in her hands in horror. But something snapped in Glacier, and she returned blood for blood further with some swift punches and jabs of the sword. Snapjaw did not die quick, but he certainly continued to try fighting until the very end, weakly flailing with a locked jaw. His wounds ended up being too great, and he died before she accomplished the neck blow, his twitching, reaching hands collapsing to the floor. Snapjaw breathed his last.

The room was awash with silence, people not really knowing what to say or do, but Origin and Rheyn parted the crowd to check Glacier's wounds. Rheyn leaned over to inspect the physical one. Seeking the mental scarring, Origin knelt to observe Glacier's face, lips attempting to part but not finding the words. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Snapjaw would not recover this time.

"Glacier?" she voiced, her hand timidly reaching out to grab her friend's shoulder. She bit her lips in worry.

"Let's get away from here . . . all of us," Rheyn spoke in an exhausted tone of voice. "I will heal this wound when we are safe, but for now we are in a hall where those machines can come back anytime to clean up the mess.

"Glacier . . . can you move?" queried Origin, moving over to support her on the side without the wound, lifting her beneath the shoulder if need be. "He's right, and as soon as we get safe we'll heal you. Promise."

The sight of her now dead mentor, it shook her. Her head was lowered to take a long stare. Her wound bled like a waterfall streaming down and pooling. Once glancing at Glacier’s face it was bloody blinking fast she held back tears. Trying not to show weakness.

“I loved him you know. Kinda like family, the only family member I had.
He raised me, to be what I am, and he decides to betray me like that?! Sure, his heart was always in the right place.”
She laughed, like it was amusing to her.

“The old bastard would protect his soldiers no matter what. What changed in him? What am I gonna tell, Longtail….”

She realized something quickly. Longtail would be wondering what happened to him.
She couldn’t hold it any longer she collapsed on his breastplate. Slamming her claw down on his armor.

“He was like a father!”

Origin felt her heart being crushed anew and remained silent, holding Glacier around the stomach as best as she could to comfort her. There was so much death today, and she hoped that this tragedy would never happen again for lifetimes. She listened intently to Glacier's gushing of emotions -- the happy, the praising, the sad -- and retracted to a sitting position, though her hand remained on Glacier's back.

"I cannot fully imagine what you are going through, and I do not know Longtail, but there will be a way through this. We all lost people too. We will learn the path of healing together."

She gave a small smile of gratefulness and respect toward Glacier and looked around the hall. Chiron and Astrid's faces were fallen, as they too had lost someone important. Sanctus she could not read, his back the only thing she could see of him, and the others were waiting somberly to get going.

"Now, please get up, Miss Guard," she urged. "You have people to keep safe, and I have my own task to keep you safe. Let's mark graves to honor all of them, and keep the living alive to visit them."

~~ ×× ~~ ×× ~~ (Some time later)

News should be easy to deliver, key word being "should." The saying of not shooting the messenger was probably lost in the world's sense of ethics, and the dragon who was sent to deliver the message feared for his life. A simple errand boy, untouched by rank, and looked down even by the castle staff, looked up at the strong guards that opened the door after vetting him with probing feels along his scales.

The door ground from the resistance of stone, brick, and mortar against the force of the burly guards' arms, and revealed opulence worthy of the grand title of an emperor. He swallowed as he distraughtly stepped into the imperial hearing room, and toward the emperor's throne. Once halfway in, he bowed on one knee, then prostrated himself before the emperor in a kow-tow.

"My Lord Emperor, I come bearing unfortunate news regarding one of the ancient labs. It has been discovered by the locals, and by the rebels in the area, sire. The town's name is . . . oh, it was--" The small dragon paused, then wiggled excitedly when he remembered the name. He was still kow-towing. "Ocean Side! Its name was Ocean Side."

What a foreign word to him, "lab," and how he longed to see the ocean, but he kept his tongue in check. Only proper words were to be used in the presence of the esteemed emperor of the land.

Origin felt her heart being crushed anew and remained silent, holding Glacier around the stomach as best as she could to comfort her. There was so much death today, and she hoped that this tragedy would never happen again for lifetimes. She listened intently to Glacier's gushing of emotions -- the happy, the praising, the sad -- and retracted to a sitting position, though her hand remained on Glacier's back.

"I cannot fully imagine what you are going through, and I do not know Longtail, but there will be a way through this. We all lost people too. We will learn the path of healing together."

She gave a small smile of gratefulness and respect toward Glacier and looked around the hall. Chiron and Astrid's faces were fallen, as they too had lost someone important. Sanctus she could not read, his back the only thing she could see of him, and the others were waiting somberly to get going.

"Now, please get up, Miss Guard," she urged. "You have people to keep safe, and I have my own task to keep you safe. Let's mark graves to honor all of them, and keep the living alive to visit them."

~~ ×× ~~ ×× ~~ (Some time later)

News should be easy to deliver, key word being "should." The saying of not shooting the messenger was probably lost in the world's sense of ethics, and the dragon who was sent to deliver the message feared for his life. A simple errand boy, untouched by rank, and looked down even by the castle staff, looked up at the strong guards that opened the door after vetting him with probing feels along his scales.

The door ground from the resistance of stone, brick, and mortar against the force of the burly guards' arms, and revealed opulence worthy of the grand title of an emperor. He swallowed as he distraughtly stepped into the imperial hearing room, and toward the emperor's throne. Once halfway in, he bowed on one knee, then prostrated himself before the emperor in a kow-tow.

"My Lord Emperor, I come bearing unfortunate news regarding one of the ancient labs. It has been discovered by the locals, and by the rebels in the area, sire. The town's name is . . . oh, it was--" The small dragon paused, then wiggled excitedly when he remembered the name. He was still kow-towing. "Ocean Side! Its name was Ocean Side."

What a foreign word to him, "lab," and how he longed to see the ocean, but he kept his tongue in check. Only proper words were to be used in the presence of the esteemed emperor of the land.

Glacier gave a small smile to Origin. Slightly flinching once she was hugged. Not out of pain but surprise. She did finally nod.
“You’re right, where shall we bury them?”
She asked.

She stood up addressing the rest of the group.
“We’re going to bury those who have fallen…friends, family…”

She glanced down to Snapjaw. “We’ll give them a proper burial before we finally leave..”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The smaller dragon came into a gigantic room with stain glass behind a large seat meant for the Emperor of the land. Gaul sat with his hand resting on his claw. Pistons and machinery whirred inside and out around him. His robotic arm lowers addressing the small dragon. Those who were arguing, which were a council of dragons all one of each species, also glanced curiously.
“If they know the truth, they must be destroyed!”

Announced one dragon.

“If they suddenly disappeared wouldn’t other dragons be suspicious?”

Another stated. Again an argument took over the room. A robotic claw raised to shush the crowd.
“How much do they know…”
Gauls voice boomed.
“If they know too much they’re considered traitors. If they don’t know we’ll still bring them in. But less harsh punishment will take place. I’m kinda disappointed, the citizens of Ocean Side always loved to be isolated…
I wondered what changed..”

Origin smiled, saying, "There is a hill near the cave we went in, quiet, secluded, overlooking the fairgrounds and the town. An apple tree is nearby.
If we bury them there, their spirits can rest under the day/night cycle, and life can persist around them. It is where I would want to be buried, if I had a choice."

~~ ×× ~~ ×× ~~

The small envoy nervously clutched at one of his wrists, trying to recall the information passed down to him from the agent.

"It is unknown how many know, but there are tales from a one-eyed rebel spreading seeds of doubt and tales of an excursion into the labs. Metal men, a glowing fleshy creatures, posters, our origins. One of your agents, Snapjaw, died there, reportedly. We have not confirmed this, but he has not revealed himself in the usual locations."

He licked his lips, groveling further, with his body shaking.

"Juniper was the one to inform me of all of this. She is an agent of the nearby township of Breezetown, and did all the reporting. She says the report was of all of her usual diligence, but no one else was reported in the story. She did some 'snooping around,' as she said, and some guards from Ocean Side went to investigate after a recent attack. Um, names . . . ah! The names were Glacier, Aster, and . . . and Chiron. Snapjaw went with them. She, uh, did not say any last names."

Origin smiled, saying, "There is a hill near the cave we went in, quiet, secluded, overlooking the fairgrounds and the town. An apple tree is nearby.
If we bury them there, their spirits can rest under the day/night cycle, and life can persist around them. It is where I would want to be buried, if I had a choice."

~~ ×× ~~ ×× ~~

The small envoy nervously clutched at one of his wrists, trying to recall the information passed down to him from the agent.

"It is unknown how many know, but there are tales from a one-eyed rebel spreading seeds of doubt and tales of an excursion into the labs. Metal men, a glowing fleshy creatures, posters, our origins. One of your agents, Snapjaw, died there, reportedly. We have not confirmed this, but he has not revealed himself in the usual locations."

He licked his lips, groveling further, with his body shaking.

"Juniper was the one to inform me of all of this. She is an agent of the nearby township of Breezetown, and did all the reporting. She says the report was of all of her usual diligence, but no one else was reported in the story. She did some 'snooping around,' as she said, and some guards from Ocean Side went to investigate after a recent attack. Um, names . . . ah! The names were Glacier, Aster, and . . . and Chiron. Snapjaw went with them. She, uh, did not say any last names."

Glacier nodded in agreement
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gaul slammed his robotic claw on the table.
“Damn it! He was supposed to protect the town. Not lead them directly to the secret!”

The other dragons looked at each other. Not liking what he was thinking.
“Those who were at the lab are now deemed traitors to our cause. If any word gets out, more will join the rebellion..”

“Sir, Ocean Side is already destroyed by a recent raid. How are we gonna arrest then?”

Gaul raised his claw to scratch his chin. Taking every answer with a cold shake of his head.

A thick arm belonging to a resplendently dressed golden-scaled venomdragon was raised into view, a glower flashing in the glow of the coloured glass behind the emperor.

"Times are tough for travelers nowadays," she stated in a husky voice, rich and profound as if she were a gifted speaker. Her lips turned in an effort to give reverence to the emperor, but there was no joy on her face of the news. She was scowling. "An escorted trip to the capital by carriage might seem prudent and controllable. Send that into the rocky ravine of the river here en route to the capital for questioning and clarification, and no one would second-guess why. The area is treacherous nowadays with bandits. If the emperor's elite soldiers can be sent there disguised as bandits or to paint the earth red with their blood, news will spread proper. I want and propose justice for my recommended agent, Snapjaw. Three years ago, he was not the sort to spill secrets on purpose. He must have tried and failed. I cannot see another way."

"Three years is a long time, Oro," chided another, a landbound dragon of some kind. "What if he ratted out the secret? The lab must be investigated, then the entrances collapsed, to prove speculation on our end and to obscure it from others."

"Well," Oro continued, giving the speaker a solid, icy stare, "that is up to His Excellency to decide."

A thick arm belonging to a resplendently dressed golden-scaled venomdragon was raised into view, a glower flashing in the glow of the coloured glass behind the emperor.

"Times are tough for travelers nowadays," she stated in a husky voice, rich and profound as if she were a gifted speaker. Her lips turned in an effort to give reverence to the emperor, but there was no joy on her face of the news. She was scowling. "An escorted trip to the capital by carriage might seem prudent and controllable. Send that into the rocky ravine of the river here en route to the capital for questioning and clarification, and no one would second-guess why. The area is treacherous nowadays with bandits. If the emperor's elite soldiers can be sent there disguised as bandits or to paint the earth red with their blood, news will spread proper. I want and propose justice for my recommended agent, Snapjaw. Three years ago, he was not the sort to spill secrets on purpose. He must have tried and failed. I cannot see another way."

"Three years is a long time, Oro," chided another, a landbound dragon of some kind. "What if he ratted out the secret? The lab must be investigated, then the entrances collapsed, to prove speculation on our end and to obscure it from others."

"Well," Oro continued, giving the speaker a solid, icy stare, "that is up to His Excellency to decide."

Gaul raised his robotic claw. He exhaled sharply, placing his claw upon his face massaging his temple with his fingers.
“The plan Oro suggested will be used, we’ll set up an ambush along the ravine. Archers, and the best soldiers my general can assemble. I’ll go to the archives to find a map of the ravine. As for the locals of Ocean Side a infantry group will be sent out, they’ll round up anyone they feel is part of the rebellion.”

He glanced around to the rest of the group wondering what they thought of the plan..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back