• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Other
Here
Chiron's eyes narrowed at the sight of his weapon only scratching at the creature and not making any progress, even thoigh the blade was honed quite sharply. What is this thing made of? he wondered. Perhaps it bounced off armour, or was it all this solid? He will have to come up with a different option.

Origin choked as the automaton's arm ensnared her throat, raising her high above the ground. Glacier came in to support her, but she was not without defense herself even in this state. Originmaw tried her best to position her lower body so that she could help Glacier by kicking it in the chest or torso with her powerful legs, striving to get free or at the least topple the machine. If escaping from its clutches, she would get to her feet and try to hold the mechanical being to the floor, pinning the sword arm as best as she was able. She fought to control her breathing and the thing below her, and doing both was a struggle when one has an bruised throat.

Chiron next stepped up to the plate, assisting Glacier in trying to tear its head from its body. Perhaps with two bodies it would be easier.

Astrid, when she had caught the enemy's weapon, rejoiced at the momentary victory, but the joy did not last for long. New automatons joined the battle, and she now worried about them rather than the one her companions, especially Glacier, had been whittling down. She will stave off the opposition as long as she is able to allow the others time.

((One more turn until Snapjaw returns or resistance interjects?))

The neck could be seen sparking wires snapping as the two tore at its head.
Soon it popped off the lifeless body falling onto the floor before them.
Both breathing a sigh of relief, this didn’t last as more showed. They hopped down from the racks. Weapons held in their hands, swords, and strange devices that they pointed at them.

Glacier glanced to the metal blast door. Running over to it, smlamming her claw against the things keyboard. Nothing happened.
“Grr, how the hell do you work this?!”

The metal being crept closer to the group ready to destroy them..

Saved by Outside Help
The rest with the exception of Astrid grouped up around Glacier, the other female guard continuing to threateningly flail her weapon around. Chiron was glad to have taken one down alongside his fellow guard, but was quick to back away to the door, unsure of what else to do. Origin did the same, looking in a panic around for an escape before looking toward the door.

"Astrid! Back towards the door!" Chiron called out, voice less crisp with haste.

"These things will swarm us faster if I do that!" Astrid called out angrily between controlled, randomly timed swings of her trident to keep the opponents at bay. "Find a way out and be snappy about it! I don't want to lose to these armoured freaks!"

"Someone! Anyone! Is anyone out there? We need help!" Originmaw called out, feeling helpless in this situation. She did not know a thing about machinery or how to fight. The best she could do is deter or call out for assistance, and swallowing her pride in the middle of all of these guards she did the latter.

Against all odds, seconds later, something else answered from the speaker.

"Perhaps you should stay back from the door," came the familiar voice of the healer from the mouth of the cave. "Once it is done unsealing, go through the opening. I won't have it open all the way."

The blast door opened with snaps and whirs as pins started to shift from inside the door, allowing the door to budge where it would not have through brute force. Origin backed away, biting her lip, while the others turned their heads around, shocked that something was happening. When the door was a third of the way open, revealing a warm glow of torchlight, it stopped and a powerful voice boomed from the other side, "Go! Now!"

Origin looked at Glacier, then Chiron, and bolted beneath the door in a scurry, rolling through awkwardly due to her rounded, rocky shape. Chiron soon followed, as did Astrid if and only if Glacier was the next to follow. Within the torch-lit sanctuary of the encapsulated room could be seen the doctor, Sanctus, Merrimac, and five others who had their weapons half-drawn uncertainly. The doctor was the one with his hand on the controls, ready to snap the door shut when the outside room was clear of the living. He was staring at a black box on the wall with moving images on it, static lines crawling over its surface like little white and grey bugs too fast to keep track of.

"You're welcome," voiced Sanctus coolly to the crowd, his voice as uplifted as his grin. He found amusement at this, though perhaps there was something more to it. "I recognise two of you here. Hello, Neck-Biter."

He was referring to Glacier before the door closed soundly behind everyone (when everyone was inside the room, that is).

The rest with the exception of Astrid grouped up around Glacier, the other female guard continuing to threateningly flail her weapon around. Chiron was glad to have taken one down alongside his fellow guard, but was quick to back away to the door, unsure of what else to do. Origin did the same, looking in a panic around for an escape before looking toward the door.

"Astrid! Back towards the door!" Chiron called out, voice less crisp with haste.

"These things will swarm us faster if I do that!" Astrid called out angrily between controlled, randomly timed swings of her trident to keep the opponents at bay. "Find a way out and be snappy about it! I don't want to lose to these armoured freaks!"

"Someone! Anyone! Is anyone out there? We need help!" Originmaw called out, feeling helpless in this situation. She did not know a thing about machinery or how to fight. The best she could do is deter or call out for assistance, and swallowing her pride in the middle of all of these guards she did the latter.

Against all odds, seconds later, something else answered from the speaker.

"Perhaps you should stay back from the door," came the familiar voice of the healer from the mouth of the cave. "Once it is done unsealing, go through the opening. I won't have it open all the way."

The blast door opened with snaps and whirs as pins started to shift from inside the door, allowing the door to budge where it would not have through brute force. Origin backed away, biting her lip, while the others turned their heads around, shocked that something was happening. When the door was a third of the way open, revealing a warm glow of torchlight, it stopped and a powerful voice boomed from the other side, "Go! Now!"

Origin looked at Glacier, then Chiron, and bolted beneath the door in a scurry, rolling through awkwardly due to her rounded, rocky shape. Chiron soon followed, as did Astrid if and only if Glacier was the next to follow. Within the torch-lit sanctuary of the encapsulated room could be seen the doctor, Sanctus, Merrimac, and five others who had their weapons half-drawn uncertainly. The doctor was the one with his hand on the controls, ready to snap the door shut when the outside room was clear of the living. He was staring at a black box on the wall with moving images on it, static lines crawling over its surface like little white and grey bugs too fast to keep track of.

"You're welcome," voiced Sanctus coolly to the crowd, his voice as uplifted as his grin. He found amusement at this, though perhaps there was something more to it. "I recognise two of you here. Hello, Neck-Biter."

He was referring to Glacier before the door closed soundly behind everyone (when everyone was inside the room, that is).

Once all of them were through, though having to grab Astrid, made it through the door before it shut behind them. Glacier and the rest sighed with relief Glacier having her head down recognized the voices of their saviors.

“I ought to do it again. Maybe you didn’t quite get the message!”
Glacier was about to lunge at Merrimac ready to bite him but was held back by Chiron.
“But this time I should do what those things did to your buddies faces!”
She threatened.

“Glacier it isn’t worth it..”
Voiced Chiron holding Glacier back resistantly, she continued to claw and bite at Merrimac. She did however finally give up.

“Origin, just say what you want to them…”

Merrimac brought up his arm in reactionary manner, regardless of the distance between the two of them, earning him a few jeers from his all-male comrades. However, none could question how ferocious Glacier could be, almost feral, one could say. More than half of those present stepped back -- the doctor rushed away from the console as soon as he was able -- but Sanctus was not one such individual so prone to fear.

"Vicious, isn't she, gentlemen? I wonder what she's like when furious," he responded with a sneer, gladdened that Chiron was holding her back. Even her companions must feel unnerved at such a display. Chiron turned his attention toward the nature dragon, his countenance that of a frown. "Origin. You are one I did not expect here, hanging out with guards and deviants in the same room. What could you possibly say to us? Here to join us after all? The late Dmitri told me long ago he tried to sway you to our cause."

Origin paled in the warm light, swallowing hard. Spurred on by Glacier and Sanctus, she stepped forward, but words clung to her mouth like honey. Sanctus and Merrimac looked the most interested because they seemed to know her well enough to care, but this was not much more than the others. Her roots drooped unhappily with her mood, not appearing as menacing and jutting as they used to be.

"I . . . want you to stop," she spoke, mouth like sandpaper. "Stop destroying your village, and stop killing your townspeople and your countrymen. What did those innocents do to you in our village? Nothing, except to flee from this attack, and yet their bodies litter the streets because of you! Don't you care for them, or their right to live? You used to care, before you were like Merrimac's shadow."

Crickets. All was silent in the room with the exception of the trotting of the automatons as they dispersed or crowded their fallen or the door. Merrimac in the crowd of onlookers smirked and rolled his eyes, but Sanctus's face dropped to a dismissive expression.

"I used to care, but am past that now. I am what I am because it is for more than this little town, but I don't have to explain that to you. What you do need to know is that I heard your name and saw your face and wanted to save you, and you alone, just because I remembered you. Remember that.

" 'Sides, you can't save someone who does not want to be saved. We are, after all, our own salvation. Isn't that right, boys?" he last called out to the others behind him, smiling toward them.

Some answered joyfully. Some answered half-heartedly. Some did not answer at all, expressions indifferent to unhappy.

Origin felt as if the rug had been pulled from beneath her feet, floored at this answer and with tears forming in her eyes. This was not the Sanctus she knew once upon a time, but someone more hardened. Perhaps years had a nasty toll on some people.

"And if you're well enough through, we have our own issue made more complicated," said Merrimac, pointing with his whole hand towards the healer. "Tell them."

The doctor shook his head with pursed lips, speaking, "The door is sealed again, but more of those metal creatures are outside, and awake. What you did was keep us in this cage with better jailors, and with less air, so help us out or we will all suffocate or die like those men out there. We need to open this far door. Where it leads I do not know, but it will mean more air and hopefully less danger."

Merrimac brought up his arm in reactionary manner, regardless of the distance between the two of them, earning him a few jeers from his all-male comrades. However, none could question how ferocious Glacier could be, almost feral, one could say. More than half of those present stepped back -- the doctor rushed away from the console as soon as he was able -- but Sanctus was not one such individual so prone to fear.

"Vicious, isn't she, gentlemen? I wonder what she's like when furious," he responded with a sneer, gladdened that Chiron was holding her back. Even her companions must feel unnerved at such a display. Chiron turned his attention toward the nature dragon, his countenance that of a frown. "Origin. You are one I did not expect here, hanging out with guards and deviants in the same room. What could you possibly say to us? Here to join us after all? The late Dmitri told me long ago he tried to sway you to our cause."

Origin paled in the warm light, swallowing hard. Spurred on by Glacier and Sanctus, she stepped forward, but words clung to her mouth like honey. Sanctus and Merrimac looked the most interested because they seemed to know her well enough to care, but this was not much more than the others. Her roots drooped unhappily with her mood, not appearing as menacing and jutting as they used to be.

"I . . . want you to stop," she spoke, mouth like sandpaper. "Stop destroying your village, and stop killing your townspeople and your countrymen. What did those innocents do to you in our village? Nothing, except to flee from this attack, and yet their bodies litter the streets because of you! Don't you care for them, or their right to live? You used to care, before you were like Merrimac's shadow."

Crickets. All was silent in the room with the exception of the trotting of the automatons as they dispersed or crowded their fallen or the door. Merrimac in the crowd of onlookers smirked and rolled his eyes, but Sanctus's face dropped to a dismissive expression.

"I used to care, but am past that now. I am what I am because it is for more than this little town, but I don't have to explain that to you. What you do need to know is that I heard your name and saw your face and wanted to save you, and you alone, just because I remembered you. Remember that.

" 'Sides, you can't save someone who does not want to be saved. We are, after all, our own salvation. Isn't that right, boys?" he last called out to the others behind him, smiling toward them.

Some answered joyfully. Some answered half-heartedly. Some did not answer at all, expressions indifferent to unhappy.

Origin felt as if the rug had been pulled from beneath her feet, floored at this answer and with tears forming in her eyes. This was not the Sanctus she knew once upon a time, but someone more hardened. Perhaps years had a nasty toll on some people.

"And if you're well enough through, we have our own issue made more complicated," said Merrimac, pointing with his whole hand towards the healer. "Tell them."

The doctor shook his head with pursed lips, speaking, "The door is sealed again, but more of those metal creatures are outside, and awake. What you did was keep us in this cage with better jailors, and with less air, so help us out or we will all suffocate or die like those men out there. We need to open this far door. Where it leads I do not know, but it will mean more air and hopefully less danger."

She stopped squirming in Chiron’s arms once seeing how broken Origin became. After becoming free from his grasp she placed her claw on Origin’s shoulder, then glared at the others. Glacier never seen her this hurt before, well, except when the storm destroyed her plants.
“Don’t listen to them, ok? Once we’re out of here you’ll never have to see them again. Because if I do I’ll dismantle every last one..”
She stated.

Glancing up to the doctor he was right about not having enough air for all of them. They needed a way out.

“If we do, how do we know you won’t kill us or leave us for those things over there..?”
She questioned.

Origin whimpered out a half-withdrawn sob and bobbed her head in a nod, placing a hand on Glacier's in thanks. Still, she rose her chin to look at Sanctus and Merrimac, who looked at the two of them, or maybe just Glacier, with sour expressions.

"Let's just kill them now and be done with it!" Merrimac called out, holding up his nailed club threateningly. "The less there are, the freer we are to breathe and figure this out."

"We don't know that!" called out one of the resistance members behind him, who seemed to lose colour in chameleon-like fashion when given a glare. Still, he remained able to speak. "We just got here. It took time to enter this vault, and cost us three of our own, Kelps and Rake having died just recently just to open it. If we are careless, we too may die, and if it is Doctor Rheyn we all are doomed. I do not know anything about this technology, but they might."

"I can't speak for all of us, it seems, in terms of your question, miss," the doctor, Rheyn, mentioned to Glacier, "but the young one speaks the truth. Wasting air on tossing insults and jabbing will not help. We need to work together, as not all of us have the know-how," he further professed, casting wide gestures throughout the room. He looked over to Glacier and Origin. "Glacier, was it? And Origin? Pardon, I was listening on your conversations. The others too, though I am sorry that I do not know your names. Are you familiar with these technologies, or have a mind to learn? We will need to help each other. It would be foolish to do anything else when this is our best chance for survival."

Astrid huffed and looked around to gauge the opposition. There were a lot of people in the room, and eight versus four was bad odds. Origin seemed hesitant, but looked upon the doctor favourably. The rest seemed like brutes in comparison, Sanctus and Merrimac the most brutelike of them all. Surprisingly, however, all seemed silent and awaited Glacier's response.

Shifting to the door on the other side of the room, two large panels for the door could be seen, a space between them filled with something black and squishy and airtight, but no steel interlocked the two. Just pressure, it seemed, did that. It appeared like a locked elevator door, only slightly more modernised. Behind it would be an open elevator shaft, elevator either above or below, but that is not yet known to our fair heroes and heroines.

Glacier tensed up thinking about her options, then she sighed pushing past Merrimac and Sanctus.
“Ok, how do we get past the door, and also what is that stuff..?”
Glacier asked.

The black dragon raised his claw,
“I might be able to help. I’ve been to these types of ruins before.”

He lead the group to the strange squishy stuff inbetween the doors. He knelt down scanning the doorway.
“Hmmph can’t be pried open..”
He muttered. He went to the control panel ripping off the top panel while also tangling his claws in the wiring. He began cutting wires. Muttering to himself as the wires held no spark inside of them.
“No power, unless..I need some of you to grab some items,if their available.
I need some cardboard, nails, bolts, copper wire, a magnet, a bulb and bulb holder, and some tape.”

There did seem to be such items in the room they were stuck in. Around them were large machines, none of which they knew what they did. They has two large circular turbines with the fans pointing downwards. The machine looked like it could take flight, but by the looks of it couldn’t.

“While you all do that I’ll be here, oh, and as a warning, when I do get this door open their might not be enough air in other parts of the facility.
Which, persay cause a vacuum effect, which might be powerful.”
He warned.

The resistance members, barring a few who were dubious of the black dragon's intentions, seemed interested in helping with this scavenger hunt if it meant freedom. Amazingly everything seemed provided by the room they were scouring, and all items that he had been hoping to obtain were obtained in small bits and forms. What was even more impressive was the black dragon's skills with electronics. The doctor eyed the newcomer's hands with a fascinated expression as the black dragon skillfully discerned which wires went where, and what was able to be cut. This was a science not unlike his own. Perhaps the black dragon would be interested in healing for a living if spelunking in ancient ruins did not call out to him.

Origin looked curiously at the McGyver ingredients collected, her tail thumping the ground methodically, like the rap of one's fingers. She was trying very hard to get her mind off of the Sanctus situation, but this was very much fascinating and alluring that regardless of this she was glued by interest.

Sanctus and Merrimac fell into each other's company after a few glances, hovering in a corner and whispering conspiratorily. Neither seemed especially keen to help, and this did not go unnoticed by Astrid who glared at them all the while.

When/if the black dragon works his magic on the door, there would be some difference in pressure, but reversed. Eardrums might feel the pressure of cavernous air slightly richer in oxygen, which made the torches burn even more greedily. The air would not combust, however. The major thing to see was the cable of fine-worked metal, still dutifully suspending an elevator or counterweight somewhere up or down. The question to be seen is this: what now?

Origin would clap, impressed, and the doctor more so but chiefly staring in awe.

The resistance members, barring a few who were dubious of the black dragon's intentions, seemed interested in helping with this scavenger hunt if it meant freedom. Amazingly everything seemed provided by the room they were scouring, and all items that he had been hoping to obtain were obtained in small bits and forms. What was even more impressive was the black dragon's skills with electronics. The doctor eyed the newcomer's hands with a fascinated expression as the black dragon skillfully discerned which wires went where, and what was able to be cut. This was a science not unlike his own. Perhaps the black dragon would be interested in healing for a living if spelunking in ancient ruins did not call out to him.

Origin looked curiously at the McGyver ingredients collected, her tail thumping the ground methodically, like the rap of one's fingers. She was trying very hard to get her mind off of the Sanctus situation, but this was very much fascinating and alluring that regardless of this she was glued by interest.

Sanctus and Merrimac fell into each other's company after a few glances, hovering in a corner and whispering conspiratorily. Neither seemed especially keen to help, and this did not go unnoticed by Astrid who glared at them all the while.

When/if the black dragon works his magic on the door, there would be some difference in pressure, but reversed. Eardrums might feel the pressure of cavernous air slightly richer in oxygen, which made the torches burn even more greedily. The air would not combust, however. The major thing to see was the cable of fine-worked metal, still dutifully suspending an elevator or counterweight somewhere up or down. The question to be seen is this: what now?

Origin would clap, impressed, and the doctor more so but chiefly staring in awe.

The group helped search for the items needed by the dragon. Glacier searching high and low at one point catching Merrimac and Sanctus not helping. Giving them a glare she held back the thought of throwing something at them.
“Hey! If you want to leave so badly, why don’t you help us?!”
She asked them.

Soon every item needed was obtained. The technician dragon then began assembling the needed device. Turning to everyone afterwards.
“Everyone stand back!”

Once he says this he begins cranking the small generator with all of his might. Taking a lot of time and effort to do so. Eventually the door did slide open from him pressing the buttons, this however created a strong wind fluttering loose papers and objects to fly towards the opening doors.
The suspended cable was a sight to behold and the walls behind it looked sturdy enough to climb.
“Everyone, if we’re deep below ground I suggest we head up this shaft.”
Glacier suggested,

Sanctus shrugged his shoulders, a foul smile on his lips, while Merrimac frowned with a bob of his head, not out of fear but out of assent. From their previous fight Glacier had earned his respect as a worthy person to fear, but that was not to say that he would do whatever she said. He watched her as she led her way to the door, eyes glittering dangerously when out of Glacier's periphery.

The doctor noted the flames getting stronger and took a small but daring sniff of the air close to the entrance.

"Air, and breathable, too. We are lucky that there was no vacuum, like our erudite friend here mentioned. Sometimes hollows can form in the earth and fill up just slightly, but this is dragon-made even if sealed up. As for you, miss"--he looked towards Glacier approvingly--"I agree. It would be better to reach the surface than go down to go up. Perhaps we should send a scout just in case, someone able to fly well in tight quarters, preferably, or climb up and down this metal cable." He perused the hole in the room with great befuddlement. "Hmm . . . what purpose did this serve our ancestors, I wonder? Never have I seen a chasm like this, vertical and with this odd cable. Not a shaft for flying. Maybe a pulley system?"

Origin looked at the hole in the wall too, doubt in her eyes.

"I, um . . . I think I should go last, just in case. My arms are not meant for climbing, and I cannot fly in my encasement."

Sanctus looked at her unhappily.

"Well, ain't that a bummer. Can't you unmake it, being a dragon like yourself?"

Origin shook her head, saying, "It is . . . difficult with people watching. How many eggs enjoy being cracked and have their shells discarded? Besides, I may have a trick to help me with my shell on."

Sanctus cracked a grin and said, "All right, fair point. Moving on, I'd nominate myself as a scout. Any objections?"

Nobody in the resistance group seemed to object, some even considering it brave, but Astrid and Chiron shook their heads in displeasure. It would probably be up to Glacier or Black to voice their discontent if so. Origin seemed fine with the notion. At least he was doing something more than before.

Truth Revealed
“I’ll go”
Glacier raised her claw glancing to Sanctus to see his reaction.
“I’ll make sure he won’t be killed.”
Giving a sly smile aimed at Sanctus. She walked over to the elevator shaft glancing up and down, motioning for her partner to follow.
“Don’t be scared.”
She said sarcastically.

She spread her wings leaping into the shaft climbing the square, narrow area after awhile of climbing a closed door was before the two dragons. She looked down to her partner motioning to him for help. The two heaved open the door just enough for both to squeeze through.

The room was dark the only light coming from the elevator shaft. Stepping forward the lights suddenly flashed, screens before the two switched on showing a creature never seen before. He had messy blonde hair, glasses, no facial hair, but his head was a odd shape. Maybe it was only for those types of creatures.

“Welcome, visitors, or people of the future! Welcome, to Reptilegenetics!
We are proud to announce our new creatures we love to call dragons!”
The speaker went on talking about the creatures which were standing there listening to the recording. Glacier didn’t know what to think, she didn’t know they were made in a lab..

Sanctus' self-satisfied grin was cut short by Glacier's claim, and he tossed a grimace her way because of it. Merrimac seemed only partly ill at ease. On the one hand, Sanctus was alone with a madwoman, but on the other hand he was no longer to be in a room with a madwoman. As a result, the bitten dragon breathed out a light sigh as the two approached the door and slipped out of sight.

Origin looked on helplessly, whispering a "be careful" Glacier's way before moving away from the door. A small prayer escaped her lips for her safety.

Further up the shaft, the two dragons scrambled an impressive way and made their way into what looked like a showroom lost in time, and Sanctus looked around for other entrance. He fumbled for a torch, and flint for the iron of his blade before being caught by surprise by lights and that strange-looking mammalian creature that reminded him of a foolish chicken, only he did not sound quite foolish. Stranger yet, the language was uncannily similar to their own language, just with a few words he did not recognise. What was going on?

As time continued, he started to grow cold and irritable. The faces on the screens were discussing dragons as if they were a type of luxury good, a finely cut jewel to add to a collection, or livestock. What was this beetle-nosed, odd-faced fool saying? Where was it so that he can punch its lights out and make it bleed for such slander?

He slammed a fist down on something nearby, its white surface unmarred by his hand, though his hand did not get away with the act and stung fiercely.

"What is this beast who thinks it and its kind are gods?" he sniffed, flaring his nostrils in heated displeasure. "It makes this all sound as if we were crafted by their hands! What foul lies!"

Last edited:
Sanctus' self-satisfied grin was cut short by Glacier's claim, and he tossed a grimace her way because of it. Merrimac seemed only partly ill at ease. On the one hand, Sanctus was alone with a madwoman, but on the other hand he was no longer to be in a room with a madwoman. As a result, the bitten dragon breathed out a light sigh as the two approached the door and slipped out of sight.

Origin looked on helplessly, whispering a "be careful" Glacier's way before moving away from the door. A small prayer escaped her lips for her safety.

Further up the shaft, the two dragons scrambled an impressive way and made their way into what looked like a showroom lost in time, and Sanctus looked around for other entrance. He fumbled for a torch, and flint for the iron of his blade before being caught by surprise by lights and that strange-looking mammalian creature that reminded him of a foolish chicken, only he did not sound quite foolish. Stranger yet, the language was uncannily similar to their own language, just with a few words he did not recognise. What was going on?

As time continued, he started to grow cold and irritable. The faces on the screens were discussing dragons as if they were a type of luxury good, a finely cut jewel to add to a collection, or livestock. What was this beetle-nosed, odd-faced fool saying? Where was it so that he can punch its lights out and make it bleed for such slander?

He slammed a fist down on something nearby, its white surface unmarred by his hand, though his hand did not get away with the act and stung fiercely.

"What is this beast who thinks it and its kind are gods?" he sniffed, flaring his nostrils in heated displeasure. "It makes this all sound as if we were crafted by their hands! What foul lies!"

Glacier was to occupied by staring at the screen. She couldn’t believe it either. She walked closer staring at the face of the creature. Was this the god the empire was talking about?
No, it couldn’t…

Glacier’s head snapped to Sanctus shushing him in case those things were here. She couldn’t help but continue to stare at the screen.

“These creatures are the hallmark of what our technology can do. We’ll be sending these creatures out to zoos, to the military, or to be tamed an possibly be pets. Who knows.”

The creature stated with a laugh,
“Whatever it may be this company will continue mass producing these creatures. This is Joseph, goodnight.”

Voices erupted as cameras clicked and microphones were shoved in the persons face. Soon the screen shut itself off. Up ahead were double doors.
The words read “exhibit”

Sanctus glared daggers at Glacier, made furious by the thought of being shushed by this female. However, against all of his body's will, he bit back a snarky comment he was mulling over. Now was not the time when there was freedom to find, and secrets to discover. Besides, if these creatures were here, he would give them a good stabbing, or so he thought to himself. He had gotten quite used to the feeling of sinking blades into softer materials like fleshy bodies.

The speaker's voice continued to grate on his nerves, speaking of zoos, military, and taming as pets. Sanctus had no idea what a zoo was, but to be used as a military animal? Did that mean they were to be used as mounts? He was disgusted with the idea, feeling as if a spider crawled up his back. That's all these creatures were to him, something to be swatted for existing, and he only learned of their existence today. Even when the recording had switched off, leaving the room a bit more dark than before, he continued fuming.

"Exhibit," read the door, as majestic as it was foreboding. However, it did seem to be the only viable way forward. Giving a serious look toward Glacier, as if forgetting their history just for a brief moment, he advanced towards the double doors to head toward the exhibit, throwing caution to the wind by testing the doors' handles if they had any, or pushing on one otherwise. He had curiosity to satiate.

"I don't know about you, but I need to look in here, even if there's no way out this way . . . you comin'?"

As Sanctus tried the door the handle moved with his claw, opening the door with a loud creak. Glacier suppressed her fear, ‘don’t show any fear infront of this bandit’. “Yeah, I’m coming, to keep you out of trouble.”
She remarked, following her companion inside the exhibit room.

Just like how a zoo would be arranged there were glass blocking the entry way to smaller rooms. In these rooms were trees to climb on, toys to play with, and food to eat. Glacier approached one room protected by glass. It had trees with branches slinking around to climb on. Her eyes followed to a ball and other toys left for the dragon trapped here. Glacier couldn’t believe what she saw, was this what their god did to them? Is this what they’re protecting?

She checked in on Sanctus by looking behind her. She didnt want this to be any more awkward than this already was. Her necklace around her neck given by Origin was glanced at.
“Hey, what was Origin like? How do you three know each other?”
She asked curiously

Sanctus tossed a double-take at Glacier before smirking and pulling himself into the room. "To keep him out of trouble" indeed. Hmph.

The rooms all around him, made of some sort of glass, seemed to have housed something within them once upon a time. The dust had settled over the long absence of life, though whether or not the prisoners in these invisible walls had broken free or perished in there he could not say.

Sanctus could not help but wonder, much like Glacier, what it was like in its hey-day, but unlike her he did not explore the interiors of these cells from within. He was content to watch from afar as Glacier went inside, though something caught his eye as a familiar sight: Origin's family necklace. An eyebrow was raised when he espied that, and he wondered if Glacier caught on, her next questions being about Origin.

"Origin, eh?" he asked, feigning lack of surprise as he rubbed his chin. "She was . . . kinda like a younger sister, I guess, even though she's older than me, but younger than Merry by one year. She's like she is now, quiet, level-headed, and scares easy, but gifted with know-how. She's been practicing that nature magic lots since she left her parents' nest. Funny thing about nature dragons is their customs. Anyway, we hung out until she did not want to join us anymore, distancing herself. Merry thought that she thought she was better than us. I just think it was boys' and girls' thinking different."

He continued staring at the pendant, frowning at it.

"How'd you get her to give that to you? Did she tell you its importance to her?"

“Me and Origin have gotten really close through these last couple of days. As for its importance she told me it was her parents. It’s a good luck charm.”
She stated.

“It’s really important to her. I protect her, she game me this to protect me.”
She said triumphant, the two walking down the hall where more exhibits were. There seems no end to them.

“And what about you and your boss? She told me everything, she looked up to you two now you two kill and pillage. You broke her heart..”

Sanctus looked on, disgruntled and fidgety but trying to maintain his poise. He nodded in response to her saying that it was a good-luck charm, and tried his best to overlook what he considered a sneering gloat but failing. It all especially collapsed at the end regarding the killing and pillaging.

"High and mighty, aren't we?" he spat, shaking his head. "Looking down from your ivory tower. Change yer upbringing, events, and people and you might be in the same boat as me. Breaking her heart is a thing I don't take lightly, but in the face of more important things childhood friends ain't too big if they don't stick around to the end. Merrimac's not my favourite person to hang with, but we outlasted growing up. With him I learned how to fend for meself, no honour holding me back, no codes. Makes me a weapon only I can use, a mind my own too. I could leave in a heartbeat. A knight's sword can't say much there, burdened with chains.

"In any case," Sanctus continued, swallowing what seemed to be more venomous words, "I doubt these words change anything on your end. I'm nothing but change. The past is behind me. The present and future awaits me."

Sanctus looked on, disgruntled and fidgety but trying to maintain his poise. He nodded in response to her saying that it was a good-luck charm, and tried his best to overlook what he considered a sneering gloat but failing. It all especially collapsed at the end regarding the killing and pillaging.

"High and mighty, aren't we?" he spat, shaking his head. "Looking down from your ivory tower. Change yer upbringing, events, and people and you might be in the same boat as me. Breaking her heart is a thing I don't take lightly, but in the face of more important things childhood friends ain't too big if they don't stick around to the end. Merrimac's not my favourite person to hang with, but we outlasted growing up. With him I learned how to fend for meself, no honour holding me back, no codes. Makes me a weapon only I can use, a mind my own too. I could leave in a heartbeat. A knight's sword can't say much there, burdened with chains.

"In any case," Sanctus continued, swallowing what seemed to be more venomous words, "I doubt these words change anything on your end. I'm nothing but change. The past is behind me. The present and future awaits me."

She looked down at the necklace again. “Well at least have honor we have codes for a reason, you know. That’s what I was taught at a young age. Your loss for not believe in those things that’s what makes you into a stone cold killer.”

She finally looked ahead to the many exhibits, wanting a distraction from her own life the whole ‘change’ thing getting to her. Could she change? What was this feeling she had for Origin? Did she actually have something more than just a liking?
“We should keep moving their probably worried about us..”

She continued ahead, more double doors leading to more exhibits.

What was with this girl? thought Sanctus, shaking his head gruffly. This girl and her preachy nature did not settle well with him as a free radical. Perhaps for some are the rules and codes useful, but not him.

"To each their own, Neck-Biter. Mind, you nearly killed Merry if not for the good doc . . . or perhaps that wasn't the first life you held in your hands, eh?" He winked very flagrantly, intending to have the last laugh. "Let's keep moving, but in the meantime I've questions for you. What's your business hangin' with Origin, huh? Guards and nature dragons, 'specially Origin, don't mix much."

He looked over to the passing exhibits and shuddered when he saw a food dish so low to the ground it might as well be for an animal. To think that dragons were put so lowly by these strange beasts that dared think they were any better -- that was sickening. The sooner they reached fresh air, the better. He was not even sure if he wanted to go back to the others after all this; there was way too much clash of interests with the non-rebels, and Origin, well . . . he was especially not sure if he wanted to see her again. It was better that way.

What was with this girl? thought Sanctus, shaking his head gruffly. This girl and her preachy nature did not settle well with him as a free radical. Perhaps for some are the rules and codes useful, but not him.

"To each their own, Neck-Biter. Mind, you nearly killed Merry if not for the good doc . . . or perhaps that wasn't the first life you held in your hands, eh?" He winked very flagrantly, intending to have the last laugh. "Let's keep moving, but in the meantime I've questions for you. What's your business hangin' with Origin, huh? Guards and nature dragons, 'specially Origin, don't mix much."

He looked over to the passing exhibits and shuddered when he saw a food dish so low to the ground it might as well be for an animal. To think that dragons were put so lowly by these strange beasts that dared think they were any better -- that was sickening. The sooner they reached fresh air, the better. He was not even sure if he wanted to go back to the others after all this; there was way too much clash of interests with the non-rebels, and Origin, well . . . he was especially not sure if he wanted to see her again. It was better that way.

Glacier didn’t answer his question, he didn’t need to know her weakness with Origin. She also hated that nickname.
“Don’t call me that.”
She stated flatly.

The two walked a dimly lit hall filled with more exhibits. Some had little buttons next to them, different species of their kind were plastered on plaques or on the musty wall with peeling paint. Glacier stopped infront of one exhibit. Where, infront of her, was a picture of a dragon similar to Origin. Curiosity took the better of her the button was pushed. She just noticed the speaker right above it. A female voice began to play out a snippet of info…

"Suit yourself, suit yourself," Sanctus responded easily, smiling maliciously as he brought his hands behind his head.

More and more exhibits presented themselves, continually identifying and maybe selling what used to be inside. Sanctus felt the prickles in his flesh again when he saw familiar sights, only . . . not. These were like primitive versions of dragons nowadays. This was their humble beginnings? Not that they were God's favourite or anything like that, but to be born in a lab? It was one thing to hear it, and another thing entirely to believe it.

And then there was the exhibit Glacier had stopped at, shockingly similar to someone they both knew. He watched, also curious, as the button was pressed and sound played an automated message.

"Terran dragons, with their green scales and peaceful, slow nature, migrate in search of food. They mud their bodies, packing it against their scales as additional defense to their strong limbs of arms, feet, and wings, the last of which are used for . Spanning two feet from tail to nose at their largest, these dragons learned to adapt with their environment, and are the first animals we have seen beyond us that acquired the ability to farm. Additional studies are needed, but it is speculated that they return to their food plots to check on crop growth. We at ReptileGenetics are curre--"

Silence followed thereafter, probably a short in the loop. However, it was uncanny, at least to Sanctus, how similar this was to the modern nature dragon. Many things have changed, but maybe they always attuned with nature.

"No mention of Second Hearts, huh? Weird," he commented with a shrug. "I've yet to see a mountain dragon one, or a land folk, but I'm mighty keen to check out more, assuming yer interested."

Glacier listened to it, it was scary how similar it was to Origin. Though, she’s never seen her pack mud on her scales and wings before. She was curious to learn more however the thing must’ve shorted out or something.
“I’m interested too you know. I’m with you on this one on wanting to learn about our ancestors and where they came from..but we need to keep moving.”

She moved away from the button not looking back at it to tempt her. More buttons were noticed as they passed, she didn’t dare press another. They were already to distracted from what their mission was.
Their was one exhibit that spoke to her her mind couldn’t help but stare.
It was a Mountain dragon, similar to how she looked. Only her scales were different colors than the picture.
‘Maybe just…one more?’

She pressed the button. Listening to what the message had to say..

Dread
With the press of the button, the same person's voice listed a different audio track, and, this time, complete.

"Cielo dragons, or heaven dragons, are able-bodied at flight and speed to catch their prey. They harbour strong bonds with their kin, and have a unique biology where their strength can increase five-fold for a short moment in time by accelerating their heart rate, accomplishing great feats of physical prowess. They take to high spots, keeping an eye on the world below them and rarely ever looking up, for they know no predator. ReptileGenetics sees them as strong candidates for falconing and military purposes due to their similarity to birds of prey. They can grow between a foot to four feet in height, speed inversely proportional to their size. Still, they are not to be discounted for their versatility in other areas as well."

Sanctus huffed in agreement and, at the same time, annoyance. That sounded about right for the mountain dragons, looming and threatening, though of great feats of prowess he had never heard of. Perhaps this attribute of them was weeded out over the years, though Glacier was the only one he met in person. What he could do with five-fold strength.

The sensation of the whitest of fires passed through him, searing and enlightening, and his pupils went wide as he scanned the room, finger handling the weapon at his side. His breath went ragged for a second before he collected himself.

"I am tempted to find mine -- I mean, my ancestors' -- but I know my strength, and it's firing off right now," Sanctus spoke, words hasty as he continued to look around. "Something bad's gonna happen, I can sense it. Where's the old man?"

"Hoh? Old, am I?" called out from the last set of double doors, one opening up to reveal a dragon with his sword drawn. It was Snapjaw, his armour decorated with new blood and some spattering of oil as well. His slim sword was wiped meticulously clean. "Glacier, I didn't know you had another friend here not in the guard."

Sanctus' blood ran cold, and his hand gripped the dagger tightly. He feared what was going to happen, and he looked at Glacier, hoping that she could prevent what he had seen from happening.

With the press of the button, the same person's voice listed a different audio track, and, this time, complete.

"Cielo dragons, or heaven dragons, are able-bodied at flight and speed to catch their prey. They harbour strong bonds with their kin, and have a unique biology where their strength can increase five-fold for a short moment in time by accelerating their heart rate, accomplishing great feats of physical prowess. They take to high spots, keeping an eye on the world below them and rarely ever looking up, for they know no predator. ReptileGenetics sees them as strong candidates for falconing and military purposes due to their similarity to birds of prey. They can grow between a foot to four feet in height, speed inversely proportional to their size. Still, they are not to be discounted for their versatility in other areas as well."

Sanctus huffed in agreement and, at the same time, annoyance. That sounded about right for the mountain dragons, looming and threatening, though of great feats of prowess he had never heard of. Perhaps this attribute of them was weeded out over the years, though Glacier was the only one he met in person. What he could do with five-fold strength.

The sensation of the whitest of fires passed through him, searing and enlightening, and his pupils went wide as he scanned the room, finger handling the weapon at his side. His breath went ragged for a second before he collected himself.

"I am tempted to find mine -- I mean, my ancestors' -- but I know my strength, and it's firing off right now," Sanctus spoke, words hasty as he continued to look around. "Something bad's gonna happen, I can sense it. Where's the old man?"

"Hoh? Old, am I?" called out from the last set of double doors, one opening up to reveal a dragon with his sword drawn. It was Snapjaw, his armour decorated with new blood and some spattering of oil as well. His slim sword was wiped meticulously clean. "Glacier, I didn't know you had another friend here not in the guard."

Sanctus' blood ran cold, and his hand gripped the dagger tightly. He feared what was going to happen, and he looked at Glacier, hoping that she could prevent what he had seen from happening.

“Friends? Me and him are not friends. We just agreed to explore this place and find a way out.”
She explained, she placed her claw infront of Sanctus preventing him from attacking. She scanned him noticing the blood on the old dragon.
“You’re injured, go and find Origin she’ll heal your wounds.”
She practically orders.

“Did you find a way out of this place?”
She asked walking closer to the dragon. What was so wrong about him that scared Sanctus? She knew Snapjaw since she first joined the guard. She trusted him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back