• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magic War - A Tale of Two Sides

Elizabeth’s head snapped over to the men behind them and shook her head. She didn’t want to panic him after he doesn’t remember. She bites down on her lip and looks back, “Let’s get back. You took quite a hit.” She says gently, she knew what it was like when first using magic, especially when it’s uncontrolled. Her eyes look around and she pauses once again, “We’ll talk more when we camp later,” she decides, frowning more and looking away and continuing, “If we approach the Count’s army with his head in hand do you think we can take the army or are they loyal to Othia only?” She questions, staring at the man lay on the ground by his horse. Her eyes had finally returned hazel and she gazes back at Collin awaiting an answer.

Collin grunted as he was helped up, he groaned some. "Feels like it." He said. "W... where is my sword?" He asked.

"I've collected it Milord." one of the men said, producing it, but keeping his mouth shut otherwise.

"Thank you." He said to the soldier before answering her question. "They'll have no reason to follow us... knowing Devlain... his troops loyalty goes as far as their payroll, and they won't risk their families back in Ostia for us." he said. "But... without him, it will throw them into disarray. They won't have a unified commander until one of the other nobles or the king himself takes them over. There is one final thing we could do to throw them into a route... although I fear they're likely already camped at the walls of Ivalice... preparing a siege." He said.

"If we can burn their baggage train, their supplies, they won't have the food to properly lay siege to the city... destroy that, and they'll have no choice but to retreat and find more food. After all, an army has to march on its stomach." He said. "And they have at least enough food for a month long siege of a city."

Elizabeth gazes at the sword as it’s returned and she listens carefully to his words as they return to there own horses slowly, “Then we burn their supplies.” She decides, “I can do it as long as someone gets me close enough. Or from a far with a bow, I’ll just enchant an arrow.” She murmurs, deep in thought now.

“We’re less than a day from the walls of Ivalice now. We could make it by midday tomorrow if we don’t camp tonight.” Her knight adds.

She frowns slightly, “If we do not camp I fear we might only exhaust Lord Sharpe’s men.” She argues, “I can sneak close enough with a small team and a cloaking spell.” She suggests, “It’ll be quick and avoid too much conflict. We cannot guarantee that more people haven’t be told that he’s a traitor.” Her voice was strong and confident as she climbs up onto Lord Sharpe’s horse. She gazes at the men around her, “For now, let us return to the column.”

Collin nodded, then grinned. "Could you enchant about 50?" He asked curiously, an idea already brewing. "Because I have 50 well trained archers awaiting the chance to do what they do best." He said. "They carry long bows, and can strike from 300 yards." He informed her.

"Devlain already knew I was a traitor." He informed them. "They all know by now... no point in trying to hide it." He said, coughing some. He would climb up as well, managing to get his balance.

"May I?" He asked, reaching forward so that his arms were partially around her as he took the reins.

Elizabeth pondered the question for a moment and shrugged, “With a small amount of time I’m sure I could,” she replies as she offers a hand to help as he climbed up on his horse. Her eyes gazed at the other soldiers for a moment as they also prepared to head back to Marcus, “They might see you as a traitor but to Alyanth you’ll all be hero’s. It doesn’t take for anyone to enjoy magic for them to see what’s right and wrong. Whilst it’s a big part of who Alyanth is, it is not anything.” She muses.

As since his arms reached around her, she only nods at his question. Her body somewhat relaxed against him and she smiles slightly to herself but as soon as she sees Alexander watching her the smile becomes more hidden.

The men gave nods, although they still weren't entirely certain... seeing what happened in this village had swayed them. One of htem heard a nearby whinny and looked back. "Lord Sharpe, Princess Elizabeth... it would seem that Devlain's men arrived on horseback... with your permission, we could add the horses to our own retinue... far better than to let them remain in Ostian hands given the circumstances." He said.

"Agreed, get to it, you two have my thanks." He said to the two soldiers, who would quickly gather up the leads of some dozen horses to lead back. The group would start off. Collin seemed to slump some as he rode. "Thank you..." he said. "Without you and the help you brought... the odds wouldn't have been good." he said. "But... I had to ensure you would be safe." He said as they rode.

“You needn’t thank me, I did what was right. Your men need you and quite frankly we all need you.” She murmurs softly, “And don’t worry about me, I can handle myself mostly.” She says softly, resisting the urge to lean into him further. She watched as they gathered the herd of horses and as they all made their way back to his army she is quiet.

Her mind couldn’t help but drift back to the fight, the fiery red and orange flames. She chewed at the inside of her cheek as she debated what she woulddo about it,knowing that she needed to tell him but not sure how. She’d seen the look on his face and she frowns slightly to herself as she tries to push the thoughts to one side and focus.

Collin nodded, "Well still... I'm glad you're okay." he told her. "Rest." he said and, subtly, his arms may move a bit closer, a subtle way of letting her know he wouldn't let her fall as he guided the horse along.

Collin felt that something had happend that he'd missed, and that it was important. "What magic was it that you used to save me?" he asked. "I'll admit... I used to have strong feelings against it... but... seeing you use it shows me that it can be managed and... used for better things. It... isn't inherently bad." He admitted.

Elizabeth rests into him and relaxes now. She keeps her eyes open just in case but could feel her body start to ease up. She was taken aback by his question and bites her lip as she thinks of what to say, “It was.. uh.. a general fire one. It’s different to the magic of my family and requires less energy.” She lies, her heart beating faster, “Fire magic can definitely but harder to control but I’ve been training all my life. It comes easy to me now.” She murmurs.

“When we next get a chance to break I’ll show you some of my abilities if you’d like? We can discuss it all in more detail then.” She offers, wanting to stop the conversation as she knew she needed him focused to sort his men out when they finally reached the column.

It didn’t take much longer to reach them and she saw Marcus look at them in relief, “I hope we didn’t keep you worried for too long.” Elizabeth says, offering a small smile.

He nodded, taking this information in and seeming to process it for a bit, thinking it over. "Well, it's quite capable. As are you... it seems you truly are skilled in both magic and in combat." Collin said, smiling some as he let her relax, supporting some of her weight. "And I would appreciate it."

When they returned to the column, Collin looked to his men. "I bring grave news... I engaged Count Devlain... he... he knew the attacks were not from Alyanth... men... we've been decieved." He said.

There was a ripple of energy from the men, questions were being raised. Collin gained their attention again. "We must do what we can to set things right... that is what I believe. We started the oppening battle of this war men... and now we have a chance to stall the campaign. Count Devlain's army awaits at the gates of Ivalice, leaderless but strong and prepared for siege... if we destroy their supplies, they'll have little choice but to route. Our options are this... we march through the night, or we rest and hurry tomorrow." He said.

At first the men seemed to consider it, before one stood tall. "By the hells, I say we march the night!" He shouted. Others took up the call. "We march the night, we march the night!" There was an energy among the men.

Elizabeth watches with amusement when the men started to chant, she chuckles and looks back at Collin, “I believe we have our answer. We march through the night and we will get to the walls of Ivalice before noon.” She says with a smile. She stretches out slightly from her position and then relaxes once more, “I can enchant the arrows as we march, it’ll just take more concentration.” She murmurs.

Deep in thought again now takes a moment before looking around, “I can enchant a whole lot of them if we get closer to the supply of them. They can be activated when we’re ready then.” She says. She looks at the other horses they’d just collected, “If you’d like I can move to a horse of my own or I can stay here.” She queries.

He nodded some, "It seems we do." he said. "Alright lads! Form up, ready for a fast route march, column formation!" He shouted, and the men cheered out as they rushed to ready themselves. Food and drink would be handed so the men could have their dinner as they marched. Collin chcukled, "Then rest here. I won't let you fall." He said. "You can focus yourself on the task at hand." He said.

He would start to drop back, to one of the wagons in their supply train. Throwing open the back tarp, he revealed a ready supply of arrows in a barrel. "This may be enough... there's enough in this barrel alone to give each men ten arrows. Will this work?" He asked, keeping her alongside the cart so she could rest and be within reach.

Her body shifted slightly on the horse and she twists to see the arrows, “These will be perfect.” She says, one arm holding on to him slightly and she get comfortable. She focuses down on the arrow and her eyes turn their usual icy blue, she seems to hum internally as she prepares herself. She holds one hand out and chants under her breath.

It took some time, the march was a fast one and the movement caused her to need to focus extra hard. Minutes later her hand seemed to release a blue hue that flowed into the barrel. After taking a deep breath in she groans, “When the time comes, they’re ready.” She murmurs softly, and as she gazed around the sky was already beginning to grow darker.

Collin watched her work, and focused on keeping the horse steady. He watched as she worked, staying silent so she could focus. As she worked, he would ride on, pressing the army farther into Aylanth. Over time, he gently wrapped one arm around her to support her, letting her not have to worry. He was glad he did so when she finished, hearing her tired groan, he tightened his arm some. "Well done, and thank you. Please, take it easy now... just rest. You have my word that I will protect you milady." He said as they rode.

THe army would push on through the night, focused on their goal. In the distance, Collin could see the appearance of smoke, and the steadily appearing sights of city rooftops. He knew they were nearing their goal. As they got nearer, he guided the army into a patch of forest, hiding them from the army that had gathered there. "We've arrived to the field." He said.

It wasn’t long into the night before Elizabeth had felt herself fall asleep. She felt safety in Collin’s arms and whilst her mind wasn’t completely calm she slept peacefully so. His arms kept a her steady and she wasn’t disturbed again until morning sun had finally risen once again. She pries her eyes open and as soon as she is awake she noticed they were much closer to the city now. She remains quiet, more so anxious to finally get to the field and even more to send the army back. She rested comfortably still until they did finally arrive and after stopped she climbs down, “We should work quick, they look to be reading themselves to attack.” She murmurs thoughtfully, stretching out her arms and legs with a groan.

“Let’s have all of your archers in formation. When they’re all ready with the arrows I can create the fire.” She says, serious and direct with her tone. She wanted this to work, knowing lives depended on it. She wouldn’t lose anymore of her people than necessary, especially not the innocent people who lived within the city.

Collin smiled some once she woke, “Morning.” He said. “My plan is to have the archers emerge from the woods and loose their first volley to focus on the supply train. Once it’s well and truly ablaze, my archers will pull back behind the infantry wall. The enemy will be pinned between us and the city wall... I only hope your people in the city will be ready to take advantage.” He said. “Once they move to attack the infantry... they’ll be disorganized... and I’ll launch a charge with the cavalry I have.” He said.

The men were already preparing for action. The forest would slow the enemy cavalry, making charges into the wood ineffective. The archers had their arrows ready, each one with fire arrows and regular ones. The infantry readier their shields and prepared their spears and swords. As Collin got the men into final position, there was a commotion from the enemy army, the advanced units were in formation, ladders and siege towers at the ready. They started to March on the wall.

Collin nodded, raised his sword. “ARCHERS, READY!” He bellowed. “FORWARD,WITH ME!” At once, 50 archers exited the woods. He nodded to Elizabeth. “Do it...” he said, raising his sword, the archers drew their arrows back, and made aim for the enemy supply train.

Elizabeth listened to the plan, absorbing all of the information and preparing along side everyone else. She takes out her pin and pulls the strands that had fallen lose back out of her face before repinning it. She looks around and then back to Collin, “My people are smart, Ivalice is larger a magic based city. We have fighters and I’m sure a good hundred or so soldiers readily waiting.” She states, knowing that it didn’t sound a lot. Most of the troops would have been kept behind to defend the castle and its walls.

She marches with them, her armour the only armour that was different to the men around her. Her face was hard and cold as she matches strong beside Collin. For the first time in the last two days her anger was obvious in her eyes. When each archer was ready and after she hears Collin’s voice she nods once before turning to gaze at the 50 men before her. She waved her arm abruptly from left to right and each arrow slowly started to burn the blue flame of the Alyanth royal family.

Collin watched as the flames ignited, each arrow going ablaze at the tip. Once they were all finished, he looked to the target. “FOR PEACE, FOR ALYANTH AND IVALICE UNITED!” He bellowed. His sword came down, and hell was let loose. The archers released their arrows to the sky.

If one watched from the city walls, they’d see the barrage of arrows flutter skyward, smoke trailing from them as they flowed blue. The arrows arced a path through the sky, falling upon the enemy camp. Screams were heard, and the supply wagons began to burn.

“ARCHERS, BACK, INFANTRY TAKE THE LI-“ Collin began his orders when an explosion ripped from the train, a massive fireball spreading out. The shockwave buffered them, making Collins ears pop.

“By the gods...explosives... they intended to blow the wall open if they couldn’t top it!” He said as the screams of men and horse were heard. Men ran screaming from the camp, wreathed in fire, arms flailing trying to put it out. Collin felt a cold weight in his gut as man and beast burned. “INFANTRY FRONT! Archers, volley their forces!” He barked. The infantry stepped to the forest edge and the archers took the rear, beginning to fire further arrows into Count Devlain army. The field was chaos

As the explosion let out Elizabeth gasped out loud, her hands automatically covering her ears that had already popped at the sound. Her face would show her distress as she looked around knowing it was now too late to do anything but join the battle. She lets her face fall neutral once again and grabs her sword, “I fear they may not intend to retreat.” She yells to Collin, frowning as she gazes at the field. She cleared her thought and her eyes see the explosion that was burning a fiery orange now from the explosives.

Delvain’s men still outnumbered their own forces and she hoped that her own people would join them from behind the wall but for now they were safe and she doubted that anyone would dare leave the city. She watches as Collin gives his orders to his men and she had every intention to join the battle alongside the soldiers and she steps forward boldly.

Collin nodded, “We have a moment... their ranks will be confused before they get turned to us.” He said. “Would you like to join me in the cavalry?” He asked her. “We’ll take them from the side while they try to rush our lines.” He took a breath, a sickly sweet smell filling the air, coming from the fire that burned the enemy camp.

The enemy army was in a state of confusion. Arrows were raining on them from behind their lines.And they were facing an enemy fortress to their front. Some of the rear forces were reorganizing though, and preparing to push on their unknown attackers.

Collin nodded, “Maybe of the forces within the walls see you, they’ll launch a counter offensive.” He said.

Elizabeth nods, “Of course I’ll join you.” She states, letting him take the lead but for the most part staying close to his side. Her hand remained to have a firm grasp of her sword on her right side and she gazes out at the field once more. The burning of flesh sent an unpleasant smell out into the air and she scrunches her nose slightly as they start to approach the enemy army from the side.

To charge them now caused even more confusion and an advantage. Her sword swung at every opponent, many atime causing sparks as it clashed with an enemy sword. Her other hand remained free and every now and then she’d use her magic to throw someone aside. Her heart was already heavy over the lives being lost and whilst it was through no fault of her own she secretly struggled. The battle field is no time to remorse however and her face remained stone cold. Her eyes flickered to gaze at the wall, hoping that her men saw her armour and recognised her to be the princess.

She took a hit at that moment, a sword swinging and slicing her arm. She dodged the next attack, ducking as the sword swung just above her head. More of her fire released and she shouts, “I need to get closer. Maybe then...” she trails out and another loud clash was heard as she defends herself. Her left hand that was mainly using magic now grabs for her dagger. She holds is defensively whilst her other hand held the sword.

Collin led the charge, their forces plowing into the body of the rushed enemy attack. Men screamed as they were cut down or trampled. Collins sword drawing more blood. It was when he heard her in pain that he reacted, striking down the one who’d assaulted her, and using his bolt launcher to strike down the other.

“If it’s closer you want, then let’s get closer!” He said, breaking free out of the other side of the melee. With a shout he spurred Charger into a full on gallop. “Hold on!” He said. The enemy archers were firing on them,and suddenly pain exploded as a bolt lodged itself in his shoulder. He grit his teeth and kept moving though. As they drew near the walls, he reached into his saddle bag, and removed a folded piece of cloth. Holding it out with his good hand, it unfurled, and the flag of Alyanth flapped in the wind. He hoped it would be enough.

As the horse fell into a gallop Elizabeth did just as he asked and held on tightly. She looks around, her own sword swinging at every soldier she could. At the sound of the bolt hitting Collin’s shoulder she winces, she watches as the flag opened and the wind hit it, “Where’d you get an Alyanthian flag?” She chuckles, gazing at the walls again. This time she could see some of the men on the watch towers of the wall, “FOR ALYANTH!” She yells and the archers on the wall aim for the enemy soldiers too now.

A gate opened suddenly and 100 men start to march out toward the enemy troops that still had their backs turned toward Collin’s men. There was panic in many of their eyes, to see now that they were completely surrounded and whilst still outnumbered hope flickered in Elizabeth’s eyes, “Focus on your horse and save your energy.” She orders Collin, her dagger back on her belt as she uses her magic once more. Her eyes flicker to the bolt in his shoulder and she frowns before focusing once again on the battle ahead of them.

Collin grit his teeth, but nodded. "So long as they can get to my men." He said, charging along at a full gallop still to keep her in range for her magic. He focused on breathing and controlling his horse.

The Ostian Army was slowly dwindling down. Confusion reigned now, and some were seen to be retreating from the field as the Alyanthian troops arrived. Collin grinned, "We've a good chance of routing them if we keep this up." He said, still focused on riding and on not upsetting the bolt lodged through his armor. That was going to be fun to remove.

(Shit, sorry, it's been a day and a half and I lost track of time.)

Elizabeth kept going, most of the men from the Ostian army were now retreating. Following one another away from the field as they leaped. She would only strike those who kept on fighting, leaving those who chose to flee to live. Her face would show her relief to see so many soldiers deciding to flee but that did not completely clear her consciousness of the bodies that lay over the battle field.

Eventually as the Ostian Army had fall, either fleeing and dead, Collin’s army meet the Alyanthian one. The tensions seemed high and the soldiers clearly didn’t know what to do. Some started to fight and Elizabeth groans, “Enough.” She bellows, narrowing her eyes laughing a ball of fire across the field between the two sets of troops. This was enough to separate them and she climbs down from the horse, all of the Alyanthian soldiers bowed instantly and hung their head, “We are all on the same side,” she states before her eyes looked back to Collin.

(don’t worry, between work and sleep, your replies have been just at the right times haha!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back