• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magic War - A Tale of Two Sides

Elizabeth slept til way after the sun had risen, her body recovering and rebuilding its strength. When she finally awoke she could hear yelling outside of the tent, she stifles a sigh and climbs off the bed and out of the tent. Her eyes gazed around as some of the soldiers fought among the themselves over what was right, “Enough,” she demands, gazing as a group of half a dozen men, “You pledged your alliance to Lord Sharpe. If you do not agree with any decision he’s making then you’re free to leave.” She announces, scowls when she hears one yell about her being a filthy Alyanthian royal. She turns away and shakes her head convincing herself that she has nothing to prove.

She would be found by the lake washing herself down as much as she could without removing the clothing, not wanting the entire camp seeing her undress, in the light of the morning you could see the rest of the camp. Upon gazing at the dress her nose scrunches, the blood and dirt causing her to grimace but she enjoyed the peace and quiet on her own for the moment, gazing at the water. So much had happened in the last few days, so much still yet to happen. She couldn’t help but feel like more bad things were bound to happen and she tries to shake the feeling.

Collin would be roused by that shouting, and could feel the irritation building in him already. He'd feared this would happen, and knew it would take time. He would come out, shirtless so all could see the leftover of the wound that had been left in his side, and let a cold gaze settle upon his troops. "Well, I suppose you all deserve a full explanation of what happened last night." He started. "I was given this wound, not by her or anything she did, but because an Ostian assassin attempted to silence my life. The assassin could use lightning magic, hence the crack of thunder you heard. Any of you who have known me for long know I've had little to no love for Alyanth in my life. For years, I viewed it that they ordered the killing of my family, and it was through sheer luck that I survived." He said.

"And while someone ordered the death of my family, it was not Alyanth. The evidence I was shown bore proof of that. They knew not of the attacks until word reached them from us accusing them! And once I'd learned of this, an assassin, assigned by our King Harlause of Ostia, attempted to end my life." He said. "This is the truth, upon all my honor. And if you have no desire to serve under me, you may leave your armor here, will be issued a notice of your release from service, and will be free to make your way back to Ostia." He announced. "For the rest of you, who would prefer to learn the truth, to see justice reign and find who was truly responsible, I ask that you follow me." He added.

With that, he would wander to see where she had escaped to. Marcus would look to the men, some of whom were milling about sheepishly now at having been dressed down. "Well, you heard the lord, make your decisions here and now. We'll be on the march shortly!"

Elizabeth heard Collin approach before she had even turned around, “Good morning.” She says before turning around and looking at him. Her face heats as she sees him without a shirt on, “How is your wound today” She asks finally letting her eyes travel up to meet his. She felt different today, unlike the days before where she was filled with hatred and angry, today she felt mellow around the man who was once her captor.

“I need to make a stop today for some clothing, there’s a village on the way, there’s a lady there who can accommodate my needs.” She states confidently, “I’ll go in my own.” She adds.

Collin nodded some, "I am sorry for how my men were acting. It'll take time for them to overcome what we've all been led to believe. I'll admit, even I have issues with it at times... I'm still a bit caught off guard by magic." He said, chuckling. He made his way down to the water and waded in, starting to scrub his shirt to wash the blood out as he listened to her. "It hurts some, but, I'll live. I've head to deal with worse." He said, and without thinking turned. While he had a few scars on his front, his back was clearly marred by a singular large burn scar that glared at anyone who saw it with pale angry skin. He listened to her.

"I would not advise going in alone... I'd ask that your guard or myself come with you. You're still recognizeable, and we're still, presumably, in Ostian held territory." He told her. "But, you are right, you'll need some proper clothes if you're to travel with us. I won't ask you to fight." He said.

She nods, “It’s understandable, we’ve been the enemy for years. Other then you believing me, they have no reason to see it. I’m surprised no one has accused me of enchanting you.” She chuckles softly, she looks down at her hands and then back up, “We’ll travel to the village then. Meri will enjoying meeting you.” She says, “after she looks beyond the flag is Ostia, that is.” She says, smiling weakly.
She can’t fathom what it is like for those that fear magic for it is all she has ever known. Her eyes flick up as she sees his turn, drawn the scar on his back, “Is that from the fire?” She queries quietly, frowning once more.

Collin nodded, "Maybe we time, we shall change that." Collin said as he finished washing out the shirt and then began to wring excess water from it. He snorted, "You assume I can be easily enchanted. And I hope I'm not attacked by an angry clothes provider when she realizes who I am." He joked some as he finished, putting the shirt over his shoulder. He then paused when she asked the question, a slow breath coming out.

"Yes... it is." He said. "Magical flame... it's devastatingly powerful when unleashed without restraint. And it will find even the smallest gap to get in." he said.

She snorted and smirked, “Not easy to enchant huh?” She jokingly lifted her hand and approached him, stepping into the waters edge. She stops and drops her hand, “I couldn’t possibly.” She says, falling quiet as he mentioned the magic that caused it. She gazes at him now that he had turned back around. She tries to lighten the mood, “Meri will like you just fine. She’s a sucker for a charming man.” She says, blushing when she realised she’d called him charming out loud. She does her best to hide her rosy cheeks by turning and moving out of the water, “We should get back.” She says finally.

He chuckled some, "I mean that I've had some training in how to resist it." He told her, before nodding at her words. "A charming man huh?" He grinned. "Well, I'll ensure that I live up to what is expected of me." He said as he grabbed his own things, ready to head back as well.

Once they returned, it was a quick process for Collin to be ready, getting into some fresh clothes for the day, and then back into his armor. They would travel inconspicuously for now, acting like just another group of soldiers. He wasn't sure how other Ostians would react, if they'd been notified yet. As they got ready to depart, he would have an extra horse found for her Knight, Alex, and would offer for her to join him on his, or to use one of hte ones assigned to pull the cart.

Elizabeth chose to ride with him for the journey, she was unsure of who would know of her when they got closer to the city. If the Ostian’s knew about what had happened then they’d be searching and it was easier to act timid and unable to ride a horse alone, “In two hours time, Lord Sharpe and I will divert to a village for a short while. I need some new attire,” she explains to Alexander before they set off, “Something easier to fight in.” She adds, having no intention of just watching the war. She knew most of these men would be unsure of her magic if she used and so she planned to focus on her combat skills in any fights unless magic was absolutely necessary.
Alexander looked at her with uncertainty but vowed his head in acknowledgment, “Of course, my lady.”

Collin would help her up onto Charger then, and would set off at the head of what of their column remained. At least a few men would not be joining them for the journey farther inland, choosing to abandon this endeavor. As they rode along, after a moment, Collin got her attention. "One thing I need to notify you of, which you saw me use last night." He said, showing her the bracer on his right hand. "It's a new piece of technology." He told her. Fitted onto the bracer was a small contraption, mimicking a crossbow and loaded with a smaller crossbow bolt. "Short range, but... deadly at that short range. It was developed for our knights to be able to fight against mages without having to close the range." He explained, shaking his head. "Only good for the one shot though, takes time to reload... but... these are dangerous enough. As soon as possible, you need to notify your people of things like this."

Elizabeth listens carefully and frowns whilst looking at the device. She nods as she memorises the things he was saying, “I’ll let them know as soon as we’re close enough. I’m not sure how we can get to my father.” She says, biting the inside of her cheek as she thought of the damage the devices could do.

She is quiet for the longer part of the journey, simply holding on as they travelled. It was two hours later when she next speaks, “We leave the troops for this path now.” She says, gesturing toward a smaller path and pointing toward a village just short of a while away. It’s not long before they enter the village and she can see that it’s been ransacked for the moment part. The people left were hiding in their houses and Elizabeth grimaces sadly.

After they stop she jumps down from the horse, “Stay close. They think we’re Olian, I wouldn’t put it passed someone to attack.” She says quietly, she approaches a door and knocks lightly, “Meri? Meridian.” She calls quietly. A few minutes go by and an old woman with short grey hair answers the door. She looked to be in her eighties or even nineties and she croaked as she started to speak, “We have nothing more for you to take.” She says harshly, slamming the door. Just as she did Elizabeth caught it, “It’s Elizabeth, Meri.” She calls, “I need your help....”

The old woman gasps and pulls Elizabeth into an embrace, “My grace, princess. How are you here? It’s too dangerous.” The old lady croaked before eying up the main behind her, “Wh-what... why are you with an Orlian?” She questions, confused. Her hand takes the old lady’s and sits her down, she takes some time to explain everything that had happened, explaining she needs some new clothing.

after afew minutes for the story to settle in she looks over at Collin, “Well he’s handsome at least.” She says, winking at the Princess. Her cheeks heat and she looks down covering her face, “Meri!” She exclaims, laughing.

Collin nodded, and veered from the path, scheduling a meeting point where his troops and they would reunite. They started down the path at a gentle trot.

His heart wrent as he saw the state the village had been left in, nothing was left undamaged, he could tell they'd been raided of supplies, and some of the homes had been put to the torch, he shook his head sadly at this. When they dismounted, he would stay close, keeping an eye out, but his hand did not go for the sword at his side, even as glares of cool hatred were directed at him. Collin couldn't believe he was part of the nation which permitted this... if he'd been ahead of the group... maybe he could've stopped it. He smiled some though once the woman accepted him, and did his best to look a touch bashful at the compliment.

"If I may... did... the group who did this... did they wear the insignia of the boar?" He asked. "A golden boar on a black background?" He questioned before quietly reaching into his armor. He'd learned long ago that in case of capture, one might need an emergency supply of funds. He rolled up a pantleg only slightly, and there was the sound of tearing threads of cloth before he produced a pouch. When sewn in, no one would notice it without a thorough search. Inside of the pouch, which he unfurled, was a square of gold, roughly 2.5x2.5 cm wide, and a cm thick. "Take this... I know winter is to come soon, and I won't see people starve because of the follies of the nation I was once part of."

The old lady grimaced and nods at the mention of the boar. The village was in ruins and Count Delvain had taken pleasure in causing such upset. Meridian gasped as he offered her the gold and her hand comes out to cover her mouth that hung open, “Sir.. are you sure?” She asks and her eyes well up with tears, “Such a kind venture.” She whispers shaking her head.

Elizabeth had stood up to change into the things that Meridian had pointed her too, she moves behind a curtain and listens to them talk as she does.. The woman has multiply pieces of clothing that were hidden especially for a situation where she might need them. After choosing the most appropriate the princess began to change into them. On her torso she wore a simple tunic in the deep sapphire of her families crest. On top is a chest plate, light weight and tightly fitted to her curves.

Her legs wore some simple combat pants, finishing with leather boots to match. She didn’t have a helmet but she wanted to be seen when the time was right. They should know that she was alive. With the royal crested pin she pulls her hair back and she attached the dagger to its rightful place at her hip. She steps out with her chin held high, feeling proud in her armour. She carried a dress in her arms, a light weight but delicate dress, better suited for a royal.

He nodded, pressing it into the old womans hand gently. "I beg of you, take it please." He said. "Allow me to, at least in some minor way, make things right. I'm Lord Sharpe." He explained. "Use it if you can to help feed your village... I only wish I could do more. And as for that bastard, Count Devlain." His eyes flashed steel. "I'll leave him in pieces if its the last thing I do upon this earth." He said, shaking his hand. "I've seen the truth of the matter thanks to Princess Elizabeth... I can't let this war continue." He said.

He was slightly stunned when she returned, seeing her... ahem, curves so defined for the first time. His eyes may have wandered some before he returned to his sense and nodded. "Well ah... you're ready to march to war then, Elizabeth." He said. "If you want, when we rejoin my column... I'll have arms issued to you. We always carry spare weaponry, if there's any that you know." He offered up.

Meridian smiles gratefully and bows her head, “We thank you Lord Sharpe. For your generosity.” She says, holding the gold close to her heart. She gazes between the two of them, “May the gods watch out for you both.” She murmurs. Elizabeth thanks the woman and then looks back to Collin, “I appreciate the offer, a sword shall be my only request.” She says, “But we should get back, there’s still plenty to travel.” She explains, “We’ll meet again soon Meri, I’ll come a check on you when the war is over.” She smiles, truthfully she’d always looked at the woman as a grandma of sorts.

suddenly, a load smash in the village could be heard. Elizabeth peaks out the window and then gasps, “Count Delvain.” She whispers, “Why is he back here?” She asks out loud, “We need to hide!”

Collin nodded, then ducked down when the smash was heard, he actually moved over to get in front of Elizabeth, protective of her. "How many men are with him?" He asked her quietly, he then looked to the older woman, Meri. "Do you have a back exit we can escape from?" He asked. "If you do... Elizabeth... you go out the back and get Charger, get back to the column. I will hold them here." He said, preparing himself.

“At least a dozen soldiers.” She answers quickly, turning and making her way to the back of the village house. Within minutes the whole town was awake with noise, screams and crying could be heard once again. Elizabeth looked around with a pained expression and gulps, “You have to come with me. How else do you make this out alive. They’re clearing looking for us.” She tries to reason. The old woman had stood up now and gave the Princess a cloak to cover herself more. Her eyes gazed over at Collin, unsure and concerned before she shook her head and makes her way over to the back door that Meridian had pointed to. With a long stare at the back entrance she cursed under her breath and looks back, “Hell will be sure to open up if you do not make it back.” She states fiercely before hastily making her way out and round to the horse.

Meridian gazes at Lord Sharpe, “Go young man, before they see you in my house and I’m punished too. I’m old and maybe due to see the end soon but not before my people receive your gift.” She states wisely, frowning too with great concern,

Delvain’s soldiers were still doors away but it didn’t stop them from hearing the horse as she climbs on, grabbing the reins and riding back toward Sharpe’s army that had continued to march. With her right hand she grabs for her dagger, hoping to end anyone who does manage to catch up. Eventually she manages to evade the man and return to the army.

She joins the column beside Marcus and it was noticeable he was wondering what had happened. She looks dead ahead, frowns slightly, “He’ll be back. We ran into Delvain.” She mutters.

Collin nodded as she left and agreed with Mari. "Don't worry, they won't harass you." He said. Preparing himself in full, he headed out the back and slipped along. At least until he was closer to Devlain than his troops. Collin knew the state of Devlain's men. He took little time to train them, preferring numbers over skill. He only hoped that would be enough. With a breath, he strode out before his rival.

"Devlain!" He declared, sword grasped in one hand and shield in the other. "To what do I owe the honor?" He asked, taking up a stance in the center of the village.

Marcus went wide eyed, "We must aide him... I'll prepare some of hte men!" He said.

Elizabeth watches as the men started preparing, part of her wished to go with them but she knew she couldn’t, “There was only a dozen men. Send two or three men to look for him, he seemed certain that he’d be okay.” She states, looking over to Marcus now. She frowns once more looks across the hills they were riding on.

Two soldiers are separating and riding ahead toward the same village she’d come from before, “Are you going also?” She asks Marcus, worried that he could already be in trouble. She believed he was well skilled but she didn’t know much about Count Delvain himself.

Count Devlain stared down at him from his horse, sneering. “Lord Sharpe... or should I say traitor?” He questioned, and his men slowly moved towards Collin. Collin withdrew his sword.

“I am no traitor when I realize my country is in the wrong, Alyanth did not attack us!” He called.

Devlain laughed loud and full, “You utter fool! So bewitched he is by those Alyanthian devils!” He told his men, before staring Collin down. In a lower voice he spoke directly to Collin. “It matters not who attacked us... we have wanted War with Alyanth, and a war I shall wage upon these cur, as ordered by the king!” He said. “If you were fool enough to believe those attacks were Alyanthian... that is only your fault boy.” He said. He looked to his men.

“Kill this traitor!” And the men moved to attack Collin. His sword was up and ready, and in surprise he charged one of the men, making some distance from the others before cutting down the unprepared men, he blocked another’s attack.

“I must keep the column organized.” Marcus said, although he didn’t like it. “Take a sword from our baggage train, you and your rider may go with them if you wish.” He said. “He may need your magic.”

March is was right, the column was just as important and she nods once, “We’ll go and be back as quick as we can.” She replies, her face cold and chin tense as she moves the horse to fall to a trot as they turn. Grabbing a sword was quick work and she signals for Alexander to follow her. The movements of the horse sped up to a gallop as she headed back for the village, Alexander and two soldiers in tow.

As they entered the village her eyes darkened, watching as Collin attempted to take on the twelve soldiers. She made haste to get down from the horse, removing her cape, “Count Delvain! It is with me that you quarrel.” She announces, holding the sword by her side, her other hand readily spare for any moment she might need to attack with magic. She looks at him with hatred and continues to approach closer, her eyes watching the men carefully as more turn toward her.

The soldiers hadn’t ever met the princess before but it was clear who she was as soon as they saw her. Unfortunately for them they also fell victim for not knowing what training she’d received and she chucklesunder her breath. She hadn’t even glanced at Collin fully, Alexander was right behind her with two of the other soldiers.
As they made it closer she deflects an attack with her sword, swinging so the swords clash. She’s quick and twists to swing for the soldiers side but she narrowly misses. Again, swing, block and attack but this time she hits the mans upper arm. Her movements were fluid and almost like a dance as she moved. In her mind she heard the warning that Collin had mentioned about a device that could shoot and she glances at the soldier in front of her as she sees one. The attacks seem back and forward until she makes a bond moves to get closer, slicing the man again and ducking just as one of the bolts is released. This in itself caused her to gasp as she narrowly misses it. The man had dropped to the floor now and she looks around to gage how they were doing.

Her knight and the two others moved with ease, only being approached by a few, the mass majority of the Orlian soldiers had focused fully on Collin.

As the men closed in on him, Collin had no choice but to fight harder. When they arrived they’d already see four bodies strewn about him. He was constantly in motion, his blade flying with sparks as it connect with others while his shield gained new scratches. He blocked a strike from one man before head butting him with his helm, spinning, he plunged his sword through a second before returning to the first and putting a bolt from his wrist launcher into the man.

When she looked up and would see him, there was something different in Collins eyes. A power that seemed to allow him to stand against as many men as he could. However, his luck eventually ran out, and while the blow didn’t penetrate, Collin was knocked to the ground. The men surrounding him began to wail on him with their weapons, trying to break his armor.

Count Devlain was watching with a cruel and gleeful look in his eyes. “You came to rescue him girl, you shall see him die, and then, you will join him!” He said, preparing to charge her.

There was a pulse of magical energy from where Collin was, and suddenly a fiery blast erupted in the center of the town, raw, uncontrolled magical energy was coming directly from Collin, who seemed to despise it. The eruption of fire sent the men flying away from Collin and bathed the area in light. With one final shout Collin hurled his sword, the blade flaming red, at the Count and his horse, as though it were a spear, and the collapsed from exhaustion.

(sorry for the little plot twist, figured I’d give this a try and see what you think)

Elizabeth watches as the count charges at her, sword ready to swing. She became distracted by the pulse of magic, her eyes wide when she saw who it had realised from. Her lips form an ‘o’ shape and she watches as the sword hurls at the count, missing him but piercing the horse. She watched as Count Delvain rolls off the horse and stands. She holds her sword with a tight grasp and swings, clashing her sword against his own. She uses her foot to kick his chest with all of her force, gaining extra space as she does.

The counts eyes narrow and he glared at Elizabeth before running at her again. She shakes her head before using her magic to thrown an icy blue flame at him. It looked even less effortless as she watched him drop and she turns to Collin, “You’ve got magic too.” She murmurs, surprised. Her eyes were blue once again, gazing down at him.

She kneels down beside him after seeing his exhaustion, “We need to go. Let me help you up.” She says lightly, she’d seen the look he’d made when he used his magic and it made her feel strange. She was used to others look like that but to see him react like that, even though it was at the magic and not her, her heart dropped slightly because if that is how he responded to his magic then what did he truly think of her and her magic.

(They perfect twist and fits nicely!)

He was out cold, and would not respond to her for a bit, completely unconscious as he sweat and breathed rapidly. As she was helping him, he would come awake with a gasp, and then he’d look up and smile to her. “I’m glad... you’re safe. Thanks for the fire magic, you saved me with your abilities, again.” He said as he tried to sit up. It was clear, he had no idea what he’d just done. “I guess they knocked me out once they got me down then?”

The other two soldiers were looking on wide eyed at this, clearly confused. And these were his men, and they didn’t know of his magic either. Collin was exhausted though, and then men came over to help him up, given the weight of his armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back