• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magic War - A Tale of Two Sides

Elizabeth looks up from the position that she was knelt in, gazing at the man reflecting on his past. She remembered hearing of the attack that had happened, confusion covered her face because she knew her father hadn’t ordered that attack. Her father didn’t want a war but was faced with no choice, something wasn’t right. She stands slowly before looking back at Alex and answering in his place, “He is a royal guard, positioned to protect me and only me.” She answers for the knight, “Knight Alexander of Alyanth.” She announces.

She nods her head at the knight, knowing he’d have chosen silence over telling him and she wasn’t ready to lose her only ally. She brushes of her dress and glares at the man, “Had I known this would happen I’d have dressed for the occasion.” She says, chuckling coldly to herself. The hatred in her eyes was pure now, no more hidden sweet girl.

He looked to her upon hearing that, "Ah, my luck, I've gone and captured Princess Elizabeth herself then." He said. They'd all been notified of the Alyanthian Royal family. He kept his tone quiet, no one would hear him say that. There was a coldness in his eyes as well. He removed something, a sigil. "Despite our issues with it. Ostia has a few mages of its own, well regulated. One thing they happened to help us design is this. "It is the mark I told you we would register any surrendering mages with. I don't know how it works... but all I need to do is place it to your skin, and you would not be able to use your magic... it could be as permanent as I desire it to be." He told her. Before she could react, he pressed it to her hand, and the seal did its work.

It took a moment for her to comprehend what he even meant until the sigil was pressed into her skin, she could feel it working and whilst it didn’t hurt or even burn, the feeling wasn’t comfortable. Magic was part of her entire life, and no not have use of it angered her. Most of all it frightened her to realise she might never have her powers back, she could fight but magic was natural for her. She looked at her hand and a tattoo like mark was left, the same mark as the poet contained. She let out a frustrated growl, “How dare you!” She yells, stepping forward and trying to shove him. There was no strategy behind the move, no real force or strength, just pure frustration.

Her eyes remain cold and full of hatred, “If my family has pained you for so long, tormented you or hurt you, why don’t you just kill me. What would your dear parents have to say if they could see you keeping me alive?” She taunts, wanting to make him angry now, “Keeping the great princess Elizabeth Oclias of Alyanth alive. Dear oh dear.” She seethes, she wanted to see the pain at this point, knowing that emotional triggers would do more than anything she could now physically do.

He looked to her for a long time, barely moving has her hands landed on his chest plate. He looked into his eyes, and there was almost a sadness to them. "I like to think they would say I made the right choice. I showed mercy." He said. "I used to want revenge. I used to want to savor the moment that I'd return in kind what had been done to me. Now... I just want the killing to stop." He said before turning away.

"You are to both come with me." He said. Without much remorse. A seal would be tested against her remaining guard as well, to be safe. He would lead them up into two of the guest bedrooms of the manor, side by side. "There will be guards on the doors, and on those windows. I had these rooms converted specifically for valuable prisoners, you will find little here in the way of a weapon. Food will be brought to you." He informed them.

Elizabeth doesn’t say anything else, instead she follows him up to the bedrooms. She moves passed him and clenches her jaw as she looks around. The seal didn’t work on Alex, just as she knew it wouldn’t. Her face remained cold and irritated as she went and sat on the edge of the bed.
Alex went into the other room and she was glad, she was in no mood to talk to anyone. She stifled a sigh and looked at the window before clothing her eyes, “You can leave now.” She snaps to him, “You’ve done your job.” She pulls the scarf from around her hair and lets it cascade passed her shoulders, showing her face clearly for the first time that day.

He would close the door then, and she would hear a firm thunk as the door was locked. Collin would walk away, going off to tend to his men and ensure that everyone had their quarters for the night. He would also go to check on the villagers, to make sure that they had not been harassed and to see what he could do to help. He would also start to learn about their enemy from these villagers who had lived under them. He wanted their side of the story too. It would be a long night for him. Dinner, and a decent dinner, would be provided to both Elizabeth and Alex. Jonathan would be taken away, and be prepared to receive a proper burial.

(If you don't mind, I'll let you be the deciding factor as to what Collin learns from these villagers.)

Elizabeth was stuck with her own thoughts, close closed even after her dinner was out in the room. She wasn’t hungry, the thought of food alone caused a sick feeling that she could only assume was guilt and sadness. She meditated and centred herself within her own mind.

In the villages, the people told stories of how kind the royals have always been, how they didn’t fear magic the same way that Ostia did. Many could recall stories of the princess visiting as a child, bringing scrumptious treats for all the other children. They even offered stories about the queen who passed away, of her morals and her grace. Elizabeth was rumours to look just like had mother once had, only her curls were from her father.

Not one villager had any nightmare stories of the kingdom, only the ones they’d heard from Ostia. Someone even started to talk about the dragons, the relationship they had that was once precious to the kingdom.

Eventually a small girl approached the Lord, curtseying and offering a small smile, “Hello,” she chirps, “Are you here to look after us all?” She asks innocently. A woman approaches, “Lucy, come here and leave Lord Sharpe alone.” She orders sternly, “It’s far too late, let’s take you to bed.” She states, taking the girls hand.

The thoughts here were troubling, mostly because he could sense the truth in what the people were saying. They entirely believed it, no fear in them. It cast doubts, how could they be so happy with the tyrants he had heard that ruled Alyanth. He took note of each story, encouraging the people to speak to him plainly. By the end, his mind was a buzz... maybe it was only this one town. They were on the very edges, close to the Ostian border. It was probably they had treated this one town so nicely in the hopes the rumors would filter into Ostia.

When the girl approached him, he gave a smile of his own, and gave her a bow. "Well hello child." He said. "I certainly plan to try and do so." He said before seeing the woman come over. "It is quite alright miss, no trouble at all." He said. "If I may ask... what are your views on the Aylanthian nobility... do not worry about my title or rank... speak your mind." He said. "And, what can I do to help improve the village... I am personally sorry for the actions of Count Devlain and his men." He said.

The woman frowns, “The nobles were only ever kind to us. We never starved, even in droughts or the winter. We would only find trouble if the laws were broken, but it’s to be expected.” She says gently, “Magic was controlled carefully, yes it can be abused but it can also be used for good. To heal, potions to boost love, to help people. Good luck charms...” she trails off, suddenly worried of what might happen if they knew she was magic too. She forces a smile, “Anywho, I need to get this little one to bed.” She says, patting the girls head gently, “C’mon Lucy.” She hurries off quickly, taking the girls hand as she did. “Good night, mister.” The girl calls with a giggle before they disappear into one of the village houses.

He nodded, and let them leave before shaking his head some. Even if magic could be used for good, he could see how much it had destroyed, how much it had taken from him. He knew the harm it could cause. "This war is just." He said to himself. "This war is right... and we can make it quick and avoid the suffering of the people." He said, looking around. Tomorrow he would be sending his men back out onto the campaign trail, and his two prissoners woudl be coming with.

It was a long night and Elizabeth neither slept much or ate much either. It wasn’t until early morning that she finally did fall asleep and within minutes she was woken up by noise from the camp outside. She groaned and pulled herself up out of the bed, she glanced toward the window but then toward the door. She walked over and stood next to the door, just out of view. She planned to at least punch the next person to walk in.

Her eyes glanced down to the mark on her head, she shook her head and looked away. She barely had any energy but she still prepared, just wanting the satisfaction of hitting someone to release her anger slightly. She had no idea what they had planned, she wasn’t willing to even leave the room if she didn’t have to.

Collin would sleep some that night, mostly allowing his thoughts to explore their way through his head. He intended to learn more directly from the mouth of his captives today as they would be setting out, making to secure and prepare for the siege of Ivalice when the time came. His reports informed him that the assault had gone well so far, but they were starting to meet stiff resistance. In an effort to generate some hospitality to his captives, he would have the staff prepare some food, eggs and bacon, which he would bring up, first visiting Elizabehts Chamber.

He would not, however, be expecting the fist that squarely clocked him in the jaw, where the end result was him sitting on his arse on the floor, egg in his hair, a strip of bacon dangling on his nose, and the utter look of bewilderment on his face as he glared up at Elizabeth, half in shock, half in anger, and a small amount purely confused. He was so utterly caught off guard, that the only retort he had to say was, "Good morning to you too."

And then a piece of runny egg yolk dripped down his face into his lap.

Elizabeth could have almost chuckled at the sight in front of her, she shook her fist that hurt from the impact and gazed at him, “Morning.” She stated, just as cold. As the egg dropped down she actually giggled, covering her mouth and then gaining self control and returning her face to neutral. She gazed back at his glare, forming one of her own, “Did my village offer you plenty of comfort?” She asks, emphasis on the idea of it being hers still. She stretches out now, feeling gross and unclean having slept in the dress from the day prior. She watches him carefully, almost wanting to offer him a hand up, “You should eat the food, you know, it’s a shame to let so much go to waste,” she states plainly.

Starring at her, he actually removed the piece of bacon from his nose and tossed it her way before using a nearby towel to wipe himself off. "It was meant for you." He said, shaking his head. "I intend for you to travel with me, so I may properly learn of Alyanth." he said. "I spoke with the villagers last night... and it was not what I expected to hear." He said, face troubled for a moment before clearing it. "We will be moving forward today, and yes, your knight Alexander will be coming with us." He said. "You will be provided clothing." He added. "Come with me, we'll find you something to eat." He said.

She scrunched her nose as the bacon hit her shoulder. She shook at off and gazed at him, “Of course what the villagers said was shocking, this village especially was well looked after. I had many friends living here growing up. They will always speak the truth as they have nothing to truly fear, only your army.” She states, “Count Devlain will no doubt be terrorise the people in my kingdom. Not all seem to be as you are...” she trailed off, looking away now. She hesitated, not wanting to trust him but it brought some relief to hear Alexander would travel with them. She followed him out, walking behind him and crossing her arms, “Why do you suddenly care about Alyanth. You’re succeeding in the invasion, everything is working how your kingdom wanted it to.” She states bluntly, “Aren’t you supposed to just follow your kinds orders?” She questions out loud.

He shook his head, "And despite what you would think of me, I actually do not want to see people suffer... nor do many of my fellow vassals." He said. "I want to end this war quickly and prevent any further attacks on my people." He said. "I want to put an end to the attacks." He would bring her down to the kitchen, where more food had been prepared and he woudl provide her with a plate and drink. "I care because I care about the truth, and I've noticed a glaring issue. The magic here is not unchecked, the people do not live in fear, yet still, if this must happen to stop the attacks on my people." He said. "The freezing of our fields, the burning of houses, flooding forests... I cannot allow that to continue." He said. "And I am still following my orders, but that does not mean that I do not also seek out my own conclusions." He said.

Elizabeth sits and nods slowly, “My father hasn’t planned any of those attacks. You have no reason to believe me and you can think of me as you will but there’s something worse going on.” She mumbles, “I cannot sleep for the feeling that overcomes me. Something is at play here and I fear it is bigger than any one war we fight.” She concludes, eating slowly. She sips at the water provided and looks around at the dining area around her. It had been years since she had last visited this village, her training and lessons had taken so much of her time.

A memory flickers of her playing with wooden swords in the mansion, giggling as her and her friend retreat, the young and more innocent girl carried no weight on her shoulders back then. She yearned for those days again. She snaps back, wiping the smallest of smile off of her face and pushes the memory to one side.

“We’re not monsters in Alyanth and maybe I can show you that today.” She whispers, gazing up at him this time. She had no idea of what the outcome would be, she could just end up dead like the rest of her armies that fought against Ostia. If the king of Ostia ever did find out who she was then she was sure she would.

He shook his head, "And how might you go about doing that?" He asked. "Why even bother." he shook his head. "You've made your hatred of my people and I clear." He shook his head. "And then, if this is your belief... who would want to gain from driving Ostia and Alyanth towards war." He questioned, eating some food of his own. "For now, you are in my care, I intend for you to maintain a low profile as a simple servant while we travel." He told her. "If you cannot prove this to me... you will have to tell me about the fortifications of the capital." He told her as he thought.

Elizabeth stares down at the food, defeated and annoyed, “My hatred is from a view that I know none of the attacks were us. I know because I sat in the drawing room every day whilst my father tried to fix what was happening.” She snapped, shaking her head. She gazes up finally, “I won’t help you attack the castle, I won’t help you attack MY home.” She growls unhappily. She stands and pulls a hand through her hair, knowing she had nowhere to escape but wanting nothing more than to be alone.

“I will play mere servant, I can play that game, as you’ve seen before but I am still a Princess, Lord Sharpe. This kingdom is my whole life and you’ll have to take mine before I offer such information.” She murmurs, turning her back to him, not wanting him to see her true sadness.

He turned to look to her, and when she turned away, he moved so he was in front of her again and let his gaze bore into her own. He was close to her. "If you mean that... then look me in the eyes... look me in the eyes and say it, that you know your father did not organize those attacks. Give it to me upon your word and honor." He... actually requested. "I remember the time when Aylanth and Ostia were allies, long ago though it may be... and if what you've said is true... then you're right, something far, far more sinister is at work here than the politics of nations. Someone has deeply desired a war between our two kingdoms."

"There is one way I could definitively begin to confirm this. I've seen some of the evidence from a stopped attack, a signed set of orders, marked with the seal of the Alyanthian Royal Family. I know your family imbues their seals with magic..." He said, reaching under the shirt her wore, for he hadn't put on his armor yet, and the letter he spoke of was produced. "We were each given a piece of the collected evidence, to further legitimize ourselves to any naysayers, and to validate the capture of any member of the royal family. Do you have anything that should react to this seal... King Harlaus said his investigators had confirmed it... but... I must know for myself now." He knew that, when touched by a magical object of the Alyanthian royal family, a true seal of Alyanth would take on a glow of blue magic fire with flames that would not burn.

It took a moment but she slowly lifted her head and gazed up into his eyes, “We were not behind the attacks. I know father didn’t organise the attacks. You have my word and my honour, for without it, my title I do not deserve.” She says, her tone softer and more calm. She looks away again after finishing, she takes a step away to create room between them, “whatever or whoever is behind it, they’re succeeding. If any of your army, any other noble of Ostia finds out who I am. I will be killed.” She states firmly.

Her eyes cast down to the paper that he pulls out, and she raises an eyebrow. She looks back up, and after a moment fiddles aroundwith her hair until she removes a pin that was holding pieces of hair out of her face. She looks down at it in the palm of her hand, on the end is another sapphire gem just like the dagger. She knew it had some magical property to it, it was charmed when she was a child by her mother, “This is all I bought with me.” She states, shaking her head to move the lose strands out of the way, a couple still falling in her face. “My mother enchanted it when I was a child, before she died,” she mumbles. She holds it out to him, willing him to try it. She prayed and hoped that the seal wouldn’t respond, only her and her father should be able to create such magical seals and she truly believed that her family was innocent.

He eyed the hairpin she gave him for a moment, listening to her story. So, she'd lost too. He pressed the hairpin to the sigil, and for a moment it glowed, and slowly, surely, blue flames crept up from the seal, and his hand was not burned. He closed his eyes, shaking his head. When they opened again they were devoid of any emotion. He calmly removed the hair pin and set it down before returning the letter to its hiding place on his person. "I see, not even when honor is at stake will a member of the Alyanthian royal family be able to tell the truth." He said, shaking his head. "And to think for a moment I hoped there might be some good left upon this gods forsaken planet."

He seized her wrist in an iron grip. "You will remain with me for now, and you will bare witness to the siege of Ivalice. There, once order has been established, I will personally turn you over to High King Harlaus... rest knowing that the award he places unto my care will go towards improving and helping this village and others under my command... if it even concerns you." He said, and with that, took her off to reunite her with her knight so they could both be placed under guard and prepared for the march.

Elizabeth’s eyes water for a moment as she see the seal reacting to the magic. She had no idea what was happening and for possibly the first time in her life she left lost and alone. Her lips parted to say something but her voice was lost. She saw no fight in arguing her truth, and her eyes show her defeat. She winces as he held her wrist, shaking her head and staring away. “I...” she trails off, gazing down at the hair pin and then back at the man. She gulps at his words of turning her to the king, nothing good would come of it.

Even when reunited with Alexander, her Knight, she hadn’t found her voice. She gazes away distant, her face blank now. She knew how bad she had looked, she looked like she was nothing but a schemer, a liar. As they prepare to march with the rest of the Ostian army she stifles a sigh, “I truly do not know what to do Alexander. I feel blinded and betrayed, yet I cannot believe father would have done this.” She whispers sadly. The knight nods once, looking down at the girl solemnly, “You have a good heart, my lady.” He murmurs, “You’ll think of something.” He adds, offering a small smile. Her eyes gazed down to the Sigil mark on her hand and she shakes her head, “I’m afraid my heart, whether it is good or not, has now sway here.” She mutters.

Collin would take this time to get dressed into his armor, another soldier helping him to fit it all. He would liberate this land and end its abuse of deceit and magic. His anger was clear by the wide berth his men gave him as he walked. Unusual, when Collin was a leader who typically worked closely with them. The carriage they used from yesterday would be Alexander and Elizabeth's transport, staffed by Ostian soldiers now though. Collin would walk past the two and look to the guards he'd assigned them. "Have them dressed in plain clothes, get one of the village women to help her." He ordered. "Then shackle them and have them placed in the carriage, it is to have its curtains closed, and to be under guard at all times." He said.

"What are our orders for today Lord Sharpe?" Marcus would ask him as the troops began to form up. "We advance to the front today, to assist further with the advance. If all goes well, we will reach Ivalice in three days time." He said. "I've already assigned that reinforcements shall be brought up to secure this village."

"And what of the prisoners sir?" He asked.

"Their fates shall be decided by King Harlause after the siege of Ivalice is complete." He said, voice colder than the older man had heard in almost a decade.

"Collin... are you certain?" He began tenatively. This was too much like the Collin he had worked for years to chip away at, the young man angry at the world for what he'd lost.

"I am Marcus... they are naught but deceitful liars concerned with themselves." He said, shaking his head. "We will free this country of them, and their magic."

The older man sighed, "I understand m'lord."

With a motion and a nod, the column of troops set off, and Collin would guide it deeper into Alyanth.

Elizabeth remained silent as she was changed into the simple clothes and until she was sat in the carriage with her hands shackled. She can’t see out of the window as they had closed the curtains and if she were to reach she’d only fall. She internally screams, trying to hatch a plan in her head even if it we’re just to grab Collins attention. She looks at Alexander and speaks gently, “I do not wish for you to fall with me. But I need to speak to Lord Sharpe, stay as you are.” She murmurs.

She clears her throat, “Guard?” She calls out, she listens carefully and scowls when she’s ignored, “Guard!” She yells, “I would like an audience with Lord Sharpe,” she announces. She listened more and her face shows the irritation and she can hear the guards on the carriage laughing at her. She looked down at the shackles and then how they were connected to the carriage.

A smirk shows on her face, ‘this maybe themost idiotic thing I ever try.’ She thinks to herself, shuffling her way to the edge of the seat. She lifts her feet and tries to push the carriage door open. Her first attempt fails but the second causes the door to fly open, she fell as she did half of her hanging from the carriage, “I would like an audience with the Lord.” She demands, knowing how dangerous and reckless she was being as she hung from the side of the moving carriage. Her hands held on to the chain that held her to the carriage, her heart pounding as the dust that the horse hooves create hits at her dress and face.

The guards look with panic and the carriage slowly starts to pull to a halt, “Stupid girl,” the guard yells, “Get back into the carriage!” He calls, looking around as the other prepares to alert Lord Sharpe. Her Knight was frozen in his seat, shocked that she almost threw herself out, “What if the chains don’t hold?” He calls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back