• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magic War - A Tale of Two Sides

Collin, up at the front of the column, did not know of this commotion until such point that he heard his guards yelling. He turned back and, seeing the damned fool of a princess dangling from the carriage like a child on a vine, turned back and galloped. "Halt the column!" he ordered, eyes blazing at this interruption or half brained escape attempt. She would get her audience with Lord Sharpe alright. He came along and, in full armor, made to grab her up and hoist her back into the carriage, although the awkward angle meant that instead of landing back in the seat, she might land on her rear in the floor of the carriage instead. He stared down at her, removing his helmet so that green eyes, fiery with anger and irritation, could lock with her own. "Are you insane? Trying to get yourself killed in an act of defiance?" He demanded.

In the meantime, his troops had come to a brash halt, all confused and wondering as to what was going on. One of the guards on the carriage spoke up. "She ah... she requested an audience with you, Sir." He stated.

Collin nodded tot he man, then looked back to her. "Say what you have to say, and it better be of importance or else I will have the doors of this carriage padlocked shut until I want them opened." he forewarned. They did not have time to waste, he turned to Marcus at the head of the convoy. "Get us back underway!" He called, to which the older Paladin nodded. The convoy began to move again at a march, but Collin remained beside the carriage, listening expectantly.

Elizabeth landed back in the carriage was a thud and she groans loudly. She had landed on the floor just as the Lord had expected, aching from the chains that had pulled on her arms and how she had landed. Only by this point she did have a death wish. She gazes up at him from her position on the floor, “Give me some time. How long do we have til we reach Ivalice? Three days? Two if you rush. Camp tonight, all I ask is for an hour to show you the truth.” She pleads, her eyes showing her sadness, she gazes into his eyes that only show his fury.

“If nothing comes from the things I show you, you can kill me yourself and hand the king my head.” She states, still unsure of whether what she had in mind would even work. She was brave offering her life in the way she had though she was sure it could all just backfire. He had no reason to trust her, no reason to offer her any more of his time, “I won’t try anything else stupid, all I ask we we camp at night fall and you give me an hour of your time.” She states gently before looking down.

He stared at her for a long moment, reading her expression, the way she was acting, she seemed confident. He looked for any traces of deception, and then looked up to her guard, Alexander, before looking back to her. He shook his head, not believing himself at how he was about to act. "I don't know who the bigger fool is... you, or I." he said, letting out a sigh before looking back to her. "You'll get one hour, and no longer." He said, before thinking of a way to test her seriousness. He knew she cared for the men sworn to defend her at least, and through them her true colors showed.

Collin knew he didn't mean the words that he said next, but, he had to know her seriousness, and that this wasn't some escape attempt she'd concocted. "If, after that hour, should you fail." He looked to Alexander for a long moment before looking back to her. "It won't be your blood on the line." There was something in his eyes though when he looked to her, that he may not entirely have meant that statement, but the statement had been made. He had to know her seriousness. "Is that all?"

Elizabeth listened and nodded once, inhaling shallowly. Her eyes flickered back to her Knight and she offers a weak smile before turning her attention back to Collin. She looks at him with wonder, “That is all Lord Sharpe.” She finishes, “I shall see you again at night fall.” She concludes, shifting her position to try to sit back on the seat. It took a lot of her energy and all of her might to push herself back up without the full use of her arms. She couldn’t bear to sit on the floor for the entire journey.

She lets out a shaky breath as Alexander watches with a concerned expression, “My lady, my mission is to save you and only you. Why must you bargain with a devil who will end our lives, whether it be his hands or another’s.” The knight questions after Lord Sharpe has already moved forward once again. She shakes her head, “I’m trying to save us Alexander, even if it is your life that is spared.” She mutters, “Only now I fear I’ve endangered you again.” She mumbles, “If he is not satisfied by the things I show him then I’m all out of moves. And even then it’ll be interesting to see him even let me show him because I’ll need my magic.” She whispers before closing her eyes, wishing for time itself to speed up as they are marched forward once more.

It was here that Collin would relent some. Seeing her try to get back up into the carriage seat, he would climb onto the carriage and, with a surprising gentleness, help her back into the seat. He would then return to his horse, and return to the head of the column.

"Marcus... remind me again, why am I such a fool as to give chances?" He asked. The older paladin chuckled, "Because sir, you believe in the truth. If she believes that there is something suspicious afoot, something that has driven our two kingdoms to war. You want to know in absolution. And I think that is because you are of a good heart, and you don't want to see innocents harmed." He said.

Collin didn't know how to reply to that, and instead just rode on with his thoughts.

Night would fall eventually, and Collin had his force set up camp off the road, by tomorrow they would catch up with the main force, which had marched through the first night thanks to their troops being fresh. On occasion, Collin had seen signs of skirmishes and small battles, they had not encountered the many Alyanthian force in the area then. Once camp was settled, and night had fallen, he made his way to the carriage, and opened the door. He'd made sure that both prisoners had been brought food at proper meal times throughout the day, and water as well. He looked to Elizabeth, and unlocked her shackles. "Well, what is it you have to show me?" He asked.

Her face showed here gratefulness as he assisted her but she didn’t say no more. The rest of the day had been a calm one and whilst the journey has been a rough day me and she aches from the lack of movement in her limbs she was glad that they had stopped. She’d eaten every moment she’d had the chance and she was thankful that they were being looked after. She’d only just began to see the Lord in a different light to the others that she’d seen before.

It wasn’t until night fell and the carriage door opened that she realised how late it was. As he unshackled her, she stood and stretched out, rotating his wrists a couple of times. She gazes at him and ponders for moment exactly what to do, “Walk with me?” She asks, knowing she probably sounded like a fool. She knew the lands they had marched over however and that meant she knew a place they could walk to. They were not far from like surrounded by trees and as she walked, she glanced back to ensure he was behind her. He didn’t have to let her leave and could stop her if he so wished but she could not talk with so many others around,”You graced me with an hour, let me show Alyanth and hopefully the truth you seek to know from me also.” The camp was anything but quiet and she needed some peace. She hoped curiosity would drive him, even whilst he could not trust her.

He watched her stretch some, and waited patiently for he. When she asked him to walk he raised an eyebrow, but relented and followed her, albeit warily. He worried she would try something, but, he was patient with her as they went farther from the camp. “If you expect to ambush me here... I came armed.” He said, reminding her of the sword he carried. “So, what is it you wish to show me?”

The further from the camp they got, the darker the night seemed to become. Before long, not even ten minutes later they arrive lake surrounded by trees. It was one of many the covered the kingdom of Alyanth, the moon reflects off the lake and glistens. Elizabeth gazed out at the water and for the first time since they had both met her face seemed tranquil and she enjoyed the peace the quiet lake granted. She still hadn’t spoke and instead sits down at the waters edge, “I don’t plan to ambush you, I don’t wish harm on my knight. It is after all him you plan to punish if you’re not satisfied. Correct?” She asks gently, not looking back to meet his eyes.

Around them, fireflies rise from the water and meadow. She hums gently as they fly around them, “You have no reason to trust me, that I do know. But I can show you my truths.” She says softly pausing and finally glancing us, “Only...” she trails off once again, “I need you to trust me and return me my magic.” She says, “You can replace the sigil right back after, I swear. My knights life relies on it, doesn’t it?” She states sadly.

He watched her, and took in the beauty, both of the scenery, and maybe of her as well. He listened, then sighed, not able to take up that charade. “No... no orders were given nor planned against your knight, he is but a soldier following orders, and I will not punish someone for another’s folly.” He said, taking in the scenery. “House Sharpe bares the sign of the wolf not because it hunts the sheep, but because the wolf is an animal of intelligence, freedom, and loyalty. Should my family ever break from its principles... may this wolf appear before me and relieve me of my throat. I will never take the life of an innocent.” He said solemnly, gazing across the lakes still waters, which reflected the stars above.

“Your magic you say... may as well be asking me to hand you my own sword... I’ve not forgotten how you tossed my sergeant like he was but a toy.” He said. He pulled out the sigil. “One wrong move and I dont Even have to put it back on you.” He said. “Relieve.” He whispered to the sigil, and it faded away from its spot on her hand, the power rushing to her. “Well, show me, or kill me, the choice is yours to try.”

Elizabeth stood up and moved in front of the man whom seemed so sure she was an bad as the stories. She gazed up at his eyes and frowned, “Do you really believe I would kill you?” She asks quietly, raising an arm and placing a hand on his cheek. Her eyes glow the icy blue and she hums gently, her power pulses and she thinks back to a memory of the recent years. She was using her power to show help the things she knew of, the truth she’d seen through her own eyes.

— —

There’s a busy drawing room, stacks of books on varied tables. In the vision voices are raised, “What do you mean someone attacked their kingdom?” A voice roared, “Why would I plan something when our alliance is so strong?” The same deep voice commands. In the corner, sat at a table reading is a small girl, Elizabeth as a child. She flinched at her fathers raised voice, “Father, tell them the truth. They’ll believe you.” She tries, only to hear a slam of a hand on the table, “Go back to reading child,” the man booms. She glances back down and then stands, “Mother would have shown them, your magic can do that to.” She cries, the man only shook his head and turned away, “Your mother isn’t here!” He yells and the girl runs out crying.

— —

Another vision sets in now, a summer sky and a flower filled meadow. A soft breeze blows and the little girl is there again. This time smaller, holding the hand of a fair skinned woman who looked much like Elizabeth did now, “Come child, your father will be waiting for our return.” She guides, the child however giggled, “I want to make the water fly again mummy.” She cheers, lifting a hand and reflecting on what she learnt. The woman shakes her head, “Another day dear.”

— —

The meadow fades and this time theyre pulled into a darkened room, screams could be heard and her mother lay bearing a child.The distress could be felt in the vision, the little girl peaking through the gap of the door. More screams could be heard and suddenly one that sounded so different. Her father let out a cry, holding his wife who lay pale and cold, the child in her arms also pale and cold. The door slammed suddenly and the visions ends.

— —

Elizabeth pulled herself away from the Lord suddenly. Her face was pale and her eyes glazed over, tears leaking down her face. She took multiple steps back and her eyes returned to their normal hazel ones. She hadn’t meant to hit the last one and she gulps, wiping her tears and turning away to face the water, “I could show you the future, but the future has too many options to change. What we decide here will surely change every expected outcome we make. So I’ve shown my past... Not it all but hopefully enough...” she murmurs. She waved her arm and pulls it up, droplets of water lift into the air. She states up at them before letting them settle back in the water, “We’re all pained, in our own way. Some just more than the rest.” She finishes weakly, her eyes sad and she turns back to look at the Lord.

He was bombarded with wave after wave of emotion from her as he bore witness to what could only be her memories. At first he considered that she may be fabricating these things, but, the pure raw emotion in each image steadily ripped that idea away. They, or at least she... truely had no idea about the attacks, and it was a strong argument that her father had no idea either.

He gasped as they were brought back to reality, his breathing ragged. “By the gods...” he said. “Y...you’re being truthful... what have I done...” he said, eyes wide, pupils pinpricks in size as the realization washed over him. “I... I’m sorry.” He uttered, looking to her. “I have to speak with the king, to stop this forsaken war, we’ve been had.” He said.

A third voice became involved, “That cannot be permitted.” From the shadows emerged a being clad in black and wearing a mask.

Collin wheeled around, drawing his sword. “Who goes there!?”

“King Harlaus sends his regards, you should’ve kept your curiosity at bay, cur.” The assassin said. “How perfect, the Alyanthian princess kills her captor.” And with that the man phased from existence, and in the blink of an eye appeared before Collin. Only his quick reactions allowed Collin to get his sword up in enough time to block the assassins blade before twisting away and knocking aside the assassins palm as a blast of powerful lightning shot from the attackers hand, crackling across the lake.

Elizabeth was snapped back into the moment at the sound of the voice, “Watch out.” She calls out just as the power surged, she ran forward toward Collin, “Let me deal with this.” She calls at the Lord, creating her own orb of fire, blue like the fire used in the letters. She holds on offensive position and forces the orb toward the assassin. He phased away again just as the orb flies at him, “Stay close, Lord.” She states making her way beside him, her voice showing her authority, the strength raising in her.

She held her hands out, creating something like a shield that grew to cover him, “It’s your life they’re after. I’ll be blamed and no one else will listen. I’m a witch, they’ll only see lies,” she mutters. Her eyes snap from place to place, “Show yourself assassin.” She yells.

The black shadow of an assassin appears again, muttering magic and forcing a blow toward the shield of magic she had created. It hits with a blow that forces the wind out of her chest and she’s thrown to one side.Elizabeth gasps for air and coughs, getting up as the assassin prepares for more one on one combat with Collin.

“The sigil.” She yells, hoping his understood what she meant. It might not stop the combat but it would definitely block his magic.

Collin spun again and locked blades with the assassin, he’d tried to stay close to Elizabeth, but after that second shot of magic she was sent flying back. He pushed forward again, keeping the man locked in bladed combat so he couldn’t focus on casting. However, the assassin had far less concern for his life apparently. There was a moment where the two combatants closed. The sound of rent flesh as Collins sword emerged from the mans side.

the assassin laughed, the sound of chocking mixed in. “Too slow!” There was a sharp exhale from Collin, who grit his teeth and brought his hand up suddenly to the mans face, the sound of a spring activated and a bolt exploded from the back of the mans head, whistling as it went. Collin pushed him away, panting heavily and clutching the dagger that’d found its new resting place up to the hilt in his side.

There were shouts, and the sound of hooves coming from the camp, riders were upon them. Collins men, led by Marcus. The assassins body burst into black flames that rapidly consumed it, and Collin collapsed.

“Don’t move!” Marcus ordered her, sword leveled at her.

With a grunt, Collin grit out. “She’s... innocent... Ostian... assassin.” He managed with each breath before he fully collapsed.

She gasps as she watches the fight, taking deep breaths. She hears the horse and doesn’t comprehend it until she sees the sword and her hand raise in surrender. Her head snaps back to see Collin fall and she could have yelled out if it was not for the lack of breaths still. She pushes herself up, not even phased that she could be struck down by a sword, “Let me heal him,” she yells out as she moves forward, her dress covered in mud from beside the lake. She coughs again and holds her stomach as she stumbles over.

Elizabeth collapses beside him looking at the dagger that had fully submerged into his side, “Stay with me.” She coughs, “Get a medic, I might need some assistance.” She yells out, knowing full well it could drain her to heal him, especially if the dagger contained poison. She places a hand on the daggers hilt, holding it tight and pulling it out quickly. Her other hand hold down on the wound and she starts to mumble a chant. She closed her eyes for a second and when they opened they were glowing. She continues to mumble a chant under her breath, her hand glowing as she held it down against the wound. She struggled to keep up and she could feel something making it more difficult to heal.

Next few moments felt like a life time, andwith each moment she could feel herself feeling weaker. She coughs and then starts to chant louder, her face scrunched as she pushes herself harder. She had no idea if it was working but each moment became more and more faint and then darkness surrounds her and she feels herself dropping to his side, unconscious.

The guards looked on in shock, but Marcus spurred them into action. “You heard her! Get the medic up here!” He demanded. The soldiers scurried off. Both Collin and Elizabeth would be brought back to his private tent. When they arrived, the apothecary looked them over.

“She’s saved his life... this blade was tainted with nightshade and foxglove. It’d have killed him within the hour had her... magic... not removed it from him and purified the wound... all I had to do was finish closing it. She’s suffering from exhaustion and the blow that was dealt to her... both will live... to be safe I administered an antidote to them both.

Marcus nodded, a grim look on his face. An Ostian assassin had attacked Lord Sharpe, not the princess of Alyanth, but an Ostian nobleman. He marched out, and went to the carriage, gathering the men around. “Men! Our lord was attacked tonight... not by the princess of Alyanth, but by an Ostian assassin, as has come from his own mouth! The princess of Alyanth has saved him from a poison death! I know not where each of you stands... but my oath of loyalty is to House Sharpe, to our commander who has fought by our side, and who ensured our families are cared for! Come when he wakes... I will follow his orders... and I want you they may not be orders aligned with Ostia!” He said before breaking the padlock on the carriage with his sword pommel.

Alexander would be met with the look of an older paladin who bore a beard of salt and pepper, and a scar across the bridge of his nose And over one eye. “Lad, you’re the royal guard are you not...” he spoke a more plain tongue than he used with Collin. The roughness of a commoners. “Then take up the sword again, for your princess saved our lord, and I feel the tides have changed.” He said before unlocking the mans shackles and handing him his gear, well maintained.

The knight thanked the older padalin, “Yes, I’m a royal guard belonging to Princess Elizabeth Oclias of Alyanth. I shall fight where she needs me to.” He announces, rubbing his wrists and smiling as he takes back his armour. It wasn’t the sort he was used to, even now the armour that was taken from him when they were captured was plainer than he liked. He joined them all, “How is the Princess?” He questions, looking greatly concerned as they exit the carriage and walk out into the main camp.
Alexander changed quickly into the armour, relaxing when he is told that she is safe.

In an unconscious state, Elizabeth dreamt of unimaginable things and she felt trapped in her mind. She could feel herself spinning and urges herself to wake up. It was unpleasant and she groans as she does start to wake. Her eyes open and she stares at the ceiling of the tent. She doesn’t attempt to move yet, unsure of exactly which tent she was in. She takes aminute before attempting to sit herself up.

Marcus would fill the man in on what he’d experienced, and then would allow him to the tent. The Apothecary would be waiting when Elizabeth woke. “Easy, Lady Elizabeth, you’re in Lord Sharps tent, he is still in recovery, your actions did save his life.” The doctor would explain.

Marcus was awaiting inside the tent, along with Alexander. Collin, for his part, was still out of it and resting. His shirt had been removed and he was laid on a cot of sorts, a blanket over him. “Lady Elizabeth.” Marcus started, “I owe you thanks.”

Elizabeth looks at the Apothecary was she sat and nods slowly, she holds a palm to her head, “As long as he is alive.” She murmurs quietly, taking a deep breath and looking around. She looked up at Marcus as he entered and she offered a small smile, “No one was to know they’d come for his life. They saw that he believed me... I’m putting you all in danger,” she states sadly, “I cannot allow this to happen any longer,” she mutters coldly before coughing and holding her stomach.

Alexander enters the tent at the moment and bows in front of the princess, “My grace, I’m sorry I was not there to take the hit in your place.” He apologises, “You must rest and regain strength, this is a fight we’ll fight together. All of us.” He says with a strong voice. Elizabeth shakes her head, “Rise Sir Alex. Please, for now I wish to rest alone, if I may. The night has become late.” She finishes and lies back once more. She waits as one by one they all leave, the apothecary checking on Lord Sharpe once more before he too leaves the tent.

Elizabth hums to herself, the same tune her mother once sang and soon enough she was sleeping again, this time peacefully and calm.

Once they had left, she would be alone for a time, and not long after, the body in the other bed would start to cough and let out a grown. Collin would push himself up some, and would notice her. "I take it we survived then?" He asked her as he looked down at the wound. "THank you... I owe you my life." He said softly, "And an apology and more." He told her, running a hand through his hair as he tried to get comfortable. "Are you okay?" He asked her.

Her eyes open and she looks over, “Lie back down, Lord Sharpe. The medic fixed the rest of the wound, you’ll reopen it trying to move too quickly.” She scolds, sitting up slowly, “I’m okay, exhausted but it was to be expected,” she murmurs looking away slowly, “Do not apologise to me and please do not feel the need to pity me over the things you’ve seen. They have made me stronger.” She says lightly. She looks back over slowly and gazes at him, she was thankful that was he alive still. Even if she wasn’t to blame, she would have blamed herself upon his death.

She takes a deep breath and stands slowly, her body ached and she groans, “Camp beds just don’t quite cut it, do they?” She chuckles, trying to lighten the mood. She looks down at her hands, one still coated in his blood and wipes it on her dressy

At her words, he would lay back down some and relax, and he listened to her. "Nor will I pity you... I know how that feels, and I hate it too." He said. "I apologize for not believing you." He sighed. "And... I think it will just be Collin for now... with that Assassin dead and not reporting back, the King will know what has happened... especially because, as far as I am concerned... my service to Ostia has ended. I'm a lord no longer." He said.

"No, they don't, but it's better than sleeping on the ground and making your bed out of whatever you can find. Marcus had me do that a few times while teaching me. He always joked about me being coddled by having a large soft bed, and the only way he had a chance of making a warrior of me was by letting the ground harden me up." He snorted, wincing some as it tugged on his wounds. He forced himself to ease up.

“Well, Collin. We have an army that is still at your disposal. The ones that chose to say that is. Remember that nobility is more than just a title your given, it’s a bloodline. As long as you’re alive, the Sharpe line is alive.” She says confidently as she sits back down on her own bed. She gazes at him still and laughs softly, “And did it? The ground? Did it harden you up?” She asks with a giggle. She was letting herself be vulnerable since the first time that they had met, feeling that she could trust him.

Part of her felt safe and whilst in true fact they were both far from safe, it was more than she’d been able to count for in a long while. She paused for a moment and gazes around, “There could be worse places to be.” She says with a smile, “We should sleep, you’ll heal quicker that way. The sun will be rising soon.” She says, her tone gentle.

He sighed, "My men are capable and ready... but... we're far from the largest army on the march in your country. There's a simple reason why I didn't order Count Devlain away... he controls more power... and his army in all likelyhood comes to at least six or seven hundred strong." He said. "But... my men are loyal... and I've trained them well. I won't force them too, but I hope many will follow me." He added.

He snorted at her next question, "I suppose it did, at least it taught me how to massage the soreness out of muscles." He chuckled. He was silent for a while, relaxing himself around her. "You're right... we should. I'll be back in okay enough shape come tomorrow anyways." He said, before reaching over into one of his pouches. Something, wrapped in cloth, was slid to her. "I believe these are yours." He said. In the cloth would be her hair pin, and the dagger he'd taken from her. He did one last thing as well, and removed the sigil. "Release." He uttered, and the magic in it was broken, and Collin tore it in two. "You're free of that seal now."

Elizabeth frowns at hearing how large the Count’s army was. She knew that the power of Ostia was great anyway but the Alyanth army wasn’t nearly as great even whilst they had plenty of magic to their disposal, “Maybe we should figure out a plan that isn’t as offensive as the one currently in use.” She says, deep in thought.

She bows her head as he returns her items, gratefully accepting them back, “I’ll need to make some alterations to this attire come morning. This is no outfit to fight in.” She muses, smiling as the sigil is broken for good. The mark on her hand faded quickly and she could feel all of her power return, this in itself made her feel better. She lies down and closes her eyes now, unable to wipe the smile from her face as she wills herself to sleep.

Collin nodded, "The good thing about it is, the size of his army slows him. An army of that size requires a massive baggage train. I also know the plans and orders of battle for the campaign." He said. "If you can get me to your leaders... I can lay out the entire order of battle, marching directions, and plans of attack for the Ostian military." He explained. "If we could get back to my castle though... before the King decides to seize it... I could add another 100 or so men to our forces." He sighed, laying back. It was clear he was still exhausted, his body still in a state of dispersing the final traces of poison left, and just in recover from the wound he'd taken.

"I will help you save your Kingdom... you have my word." He told her, shaking his head. "I... I need to know who really carried out the attacks."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back