• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Looming of Gálgviðr OOC

Which instigating event would you prefer?

• Idea 1

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Idea 2

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Idea 3

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Idea 4

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Idea 5

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Main
Here
Characters
Here

Fairfax

Here's the OOC. Chat about whatever, plan upcoming plots, post memes, etc.

I'm also gonna quickly list the rules for this roleplay, so please make sure that you've read them.

Again, if anything is unclear, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

General Rules Please be respectful and friendly towards all the other players. Drama can be fun, but let's keep it to the IC thread.

General roleplay etiquette applies. I.e don't metagame, control or injure other characters without permission, etc.

Rules regarding PostingPosts should be written in Third Person and in past tense.

Players should post at least an paragraph every fourth day. If you for one reason or another is unable to do so, please just let me known.

Rules regarding powersNot so much a rule as a request but I really want people to avoid giving their characters overly versatile powers.

Characters are allowed to have up to three powers. That said, this is a pretty soft limit. If you want to give your character's generally weaker powers, I'd be perfectly alright with them having maybe four or five powers instead.

The reverse would also be true. If you want to give your character really strong powers (like the ability to briefly stop time) then you should probably

As an addendum to the rule above, it doesn't matter what the source of the powers are. I.e if you play a magical girl whose Patron is Thor and they gain a hammer that can shoot in lightning in their Mythic Warrior form, that would still count as one of your powers.

Below is a list of currently restricted powers. What that means is that if you want to have one of the powers listed below, you have to talk to me about it first.

Magic:In roleplays based on mythology like this one, I've noticed that people will occasionally give their character the ability to do "magic".

That ability usually take the form of just letting its user do whatever they wants. And as mentioned above, I really want to avoid overly versatile powers.

Frankly, I have no real idea on how to balance it. Like yeah, if you just want to give your character the ability to shoot bolts of arcane energy, that's all well and good. But I'm unsure how to handle anything beyond that.

A while I was planning on forcing people to focus on more specific types if magic based on the culture the Mythkeeper belongs to (I.e A Mythkeeper of Isis could grant something similar to "True name magic" while a Mythkeeper of Odin could grant someone the power of seiðr). But that seems like too much homework and I'm pretty sure it would still end being too versatile.

Then I toyed with the idea to make each of the character's spell take up one of his power slots. But I'm not a big fan of that either, part or the reason I picked this magic system is that I like how it limits what powers a character can choose and I feel like this solution would sort of ruin that aspect.

So yeah, if somebody have a good idea on to handle magic as a power, please let me know.

Resurrection: I feel like this power would decrease the stakes of this roleplay too much.

As mentioned in the Interest Check thread, I'm planning on leaving the instigating event of this roleplay up a vote.

So please vote on the idea you like the best in the above poll.

Idea 1: A newly formed group of Mythic Warriors are causing more harm than good with their misguided use of their powers. Our characters decide to intervene, bringing them together to manage the situation and help deal with the consequences.

Idea 2: A handful of normal citizens mysteriously vanish overnight. Our character, each connected to the missing people in some way, individually decide to get to the bottom of this mystery. Their investigations ultimately lead them to the same culprits, leaving them no choice but to team up.

Idea 3: A cult led by a group of Mythical Warriors attempts to unlock more magical powers for themselves by sacrificing rival Mythical Warriors. Our characters, sensing the rising danger, team up to thwart the cult's plans.

Idea 4: A species of monstrous insects begins to infest the hometown, possessing civilians and causing mass hysteria. Our characters have to band together to exterminate the monstrous insects from their hosts and rid the town of the infestation.

Idea 5: A notorious criminal ring has found out about the existence of the magical warriors and have devised a plan to exploit their powers. This threat to their lives and secret identities forces the magical warriors to band together.

I like ideas 1 and 4 because they seem like a fairly simple way to have some instigating event occur in the opening post that can draw all our characters to it in their openers and kinda force them together to fight the threat.

Ayyy lmao!

Sooo a couple of questions - I'd had the thought of asking these sooner but decided it'd be best wait until this was finished first.
  1. Can a given patron have more than one Mythic Warrior at a time?
  2. How well-known is all of the magical stuff in this setting? Evidence points to it being a secret from the general public, but how would large-scale fights be handled in that case? Is there a function akin to the Mist in Percy Jackson?
As for magic, a way to tackle it could be by 1. limiting it to a specific variety of magic as presided over by that god, like Isis's name magic or Odin's seidr (which would indeed require some research, but hey, that's the fun part); and 2. limiting it to the character's only ability and probably nerfing the effects. Sure, it might be versatile, but that could be a trade-off for raw power, and each spell would require a cost of some kind - like with Rusty's original idea for an Odin character. That would limit magic-users to doing either a bunch of small things to bolster the efforts of the overall party, or one big thing that would take them out of commission afterward - either of which could help without necessarily solving every problem that crops up.

Last edited:
Third question that I literally just remembered to ask: Do the patrons often keep contact with their Mythic Warriors or is it usually a hands-off kinda thing? I imagine it'd vary by deity?

Last edited:
Question for everyone but mostly for Fairfax Fairfax since they have the final say: do you think this powerset works? I just remembered I could play a character based on a certain food-themed deity.

Culinary weaponry: [User] can conjure replicas of various cooking equipment and cutlery with brief telekinetic control over them, usually meant to be used as weaponry.

Edible transmutation: [User] can slowly transmute non-living matter into homogenous foods of various compositions on touch,including but not limited to chocolate,tofu,cotton candy,or chicle. The rate of transmutation is steady, enough that an ambushed opponent can have their typical weapons or armor transmuted to render them useless,but an alert opponent or fast-moving object cannot be affected more than a tiny path.

Sacrificial healing: [User] can remove small portions of themself and transmute them into a cookie or cotton-candy like mass that can be eaten by an injured person to heal an injury of proportionate mass. This means that cuts and bruises can be healed with a fairly low cost other than the weakening or lessened density of a body part,but to heal something like dismemberment or severe burns would be...costly. The lost mass is gradually regenerated when not transformed.

Got a CS in progress, but not far enough to post anything yet; I'm definitely here though!

Honestly I liked the Isekai pitch from the interest check. New magical warriors wake up in a dystopian world and all that.

Anyways, imma do it. Kana Kamui as patron, and magical girl form is smol dragon child

I won't shoot you.

Setting on fire, maybe, but no shooting.

Anyway voted on the poll, time to bake a CS.

Gundam Watcher 27 Gundam Watcher 27 Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

Your characters look good. They're accepted.

Ayama Ayama

Terrible sorry, but could you add a codeless version of your character sheet?

Question for everyone but mostly for Fairfax Fairfax since they have the final say: do you think this powerset works? I just remembered I could play a character based on a certain food-themed deity.

Culinary weaponry: [User] can conjure replicas of various cooking equipment and cutlery with brief telekinetic control over them, usually meant to be used as weaponry.

Edible transmutation: [User] can slowly transmute non-living matter into homogenous foods of various compositions on touch,including but not limited to chocolate,tofu,cotton candy,or chicle. The rate of transmutation is steady, enough that an ambushed opponent can have their typical weapons or armor transmuted to render them useless,but an alert opponent or fast-moving object cannot be affected more than a tiny path.

Sacrificial healing: [User] can remove small portions of themself and transmute them into a cookie or cotton-candy like mass that can be eaten by an injured person to heal an injury of proportionate mass. This means that cuts and bruises can be healed with a fairly low cost other than the weakening or lessened density of a body part,but to heal something like dismemberment or severe burns would be...costly. The lost mass is gradually regenerated when not transformed.
Looks good, that seems pretty reasonable.

Can a given patron have more than one Mythic Warrior at a time?
Yes.

How well-known is all of the magical stuff in this setting? Evidence points to it being a secret from the general public, but how would large-scale fights be handled in that case? Is there a function akin to the Mist in Percy Jackson?
It's fairly unknown to the general public. There are some videos and such of magic and monsters floating around on the internet but most dismiss them as being fake.

There's no setting equivalent to the mist but there are a couple of groups that trie to keep the masquerade running. They do this utilizing tricks ranging from manipulation of the media towards good old-fashioned memory magic.

As for how large-scale fights tie into this, the short answer is that they don't. The masquerade has only been kept going for as long as it have because most incidents revolving magic have been kept rather small.

Do the patrons often keep contact with their Mythic Warriors or is it usually a hands-off kinda thing? I imagine it'd vary by deity?
Various by Patron to Patron. Most keep at least some contract with their Mythic Warriors but it's not unheard of for some Mythic Warriors to never see their Patrons after having their first dream.

Ayama Ayama Hope you don't mind if I steal your (plain text) template, I like how it's laid out

What's the 8% for Apotheosis supposed to mean by the way? And where'd you get the term Mythkeeper from?

Last edited:
Wilder28 Wilder28 Ayama's character sheet is from an older iteration of a similar idea. In that version the patrons were called Mythkeepers and part of the plot was that transforming and using their powers would cause the progression of Apotheosis.

TBH, I find Ayama's CS to be kinda hard to toggle between the civilian and magical girl forms.

Also, I realize how most of our characters have patrons based off on Japanese gods. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but now it's casting doubts on me who's about to make a character with the patron of Susanoo.

I kind of wanted to do Snegurochka with weightless ice skating and the power to generate small "gifts" periodically,but I thought that Uke Mochi doing stuff with food might be more entertaining.

Still,I think it's perfectly fine if you go with Susanoo unless you get inspired otherwise.

TBH, I find Ayama's CS to be kinda hard to toggle between the civilian and magical girl forms.

Also, I realize how most of our characters have patrons based off on Japanese gods. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but now it's casting doubts on me who's about to make a character with the patron of Susanoo.
What do you mean 'hard to toggle'?

Ayama Ayama At least for me,the tab labeled "magical" to toggle can't be clicked unless I click on the right edge of the button. Instead of the center of the button as is usually done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back