The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

1. That is how the variable slots work. Just remember that they are more expensive to buy (1/5th the cost of the power in the slot, not the 1/10th of the fixed slot).

2. Lets just keep it simple and keep that at 75 Active Points too.

1. Hmm. Let me do some math.

5 powers. 50 ap. And each has a cost of 1.

I could split it 10 each. For each 1, equaling 10 due to the 1/10. So for 10ap each I get a value of 100 each. Is.

For variable. I spread 250 amongst the slots. Using one at a time at full power, but requiring me to switch slots and allocations. Which may or may not take up a phase.

So if I did my math right, then variable slots would be most advantageous with things you want to switch between a lot. Like offense powers.

And fixed would do well with expensive slots that you would like on all the time.

Sound right?

2. As in 75 cp worth of AP or 75ap total?

I am thinking that you are not quite getting the points right.

A 50 Active Point power in a Fixed Slot will cost 5 points, and if it is in a Variable Slot, it will cost 10 cp.

The 75 point limit is Active Points. A Multipower can have 75 points in its pool cost, and then it can have multiple slots all with powers that have the 75 Active Point limit too.

I am thinking that you are not quite getting the points right.

A 50 Active Point power in a Fixed Slot will cost 5 points, and if it is in a Variable Slot, it will cost 10 cp.

The 75 point limit is Active Points. A Multipower can have 75 points in its pool cost, and then it can have multiple slots all with powers that have the 75 Active Point limit too.

So I could have a an MP with several powers and 75 AP split between them,

Or a single Multipower with one power at 75ap?

I'm little confused on the cap part.

The MP itself cannot have a pool over 75 points, which means that all the powers inside it max out at 75 points, too. Assuming that you have a MP with no limitations on it, it would look like this:

75 MP Bunch of Powers 75 Active Points
7f 15d6 Blast (75 Active Points)
7f 5d6 Killing Attack (75 AP)
5f another power (50 AP)
10v another power with a variable slot (50 AP)
14v another power with a variable slot (75 AP)

This is just a quickie example, and obviously, Limitations will lower the costs significantly.

The MP itself cannot have a pool over 75 points, which means that all the powers inside it max out at 75 points, too. Assuming that you have a MP with no limitations on it, it would look like this:

75 MP Bunch of Powers 75 Active Points
7f 15d6 Blast (75 Active Points)
7f 5d6 Killing Attack (75 AP)
5f another power (50 AP)
10v another power with a variable slot (50 AP)
14v another power with a variable slot (75 AP)

This is just a quickie example, and obviously, Limitations will lower the costs significantly.

Alrigjt

So.

I can get 75ap for a Multipower

And for each power I have, I can spend 75 effective ap to upgrade it. That is, ap that is adjusted for limitations, F/V, mp, and other modifiers.

Is that more accurate?

Also! That reminds me. How do you handle limitations. Can you take more than one? Like something for 1/4 and something for 1/2 on the same power. How would that be calculated? Or is limited to one limitation or one modifier per power.

7f is because 75 adjusted for 1/10 is 7.5, and rounded to user advantage, makes it 75 instead of 70. And frees up that final point.

If I'm getting things right. Then fixed is definitely the way to go with a cap.

Basically, the Multipower is a great way to save points on powers that you can't use all at the same time.

Lets say you have four powers, each one at 75 AP

75 Power 1
75 Power 2
75 Power 3
75 Power 4

This is going to cost you 200 points for these. Rather expensive. But since you are not needing each one at the same time, the Multipower is the perfect way to make this a lot cheaper. You spend the initial 75 in the Pool cost, then allocate each power into its own slot.

75 Multipower 75 Active Points
7f Power 1
7f Power 2
7f Power 3
7f Power 4

This now costs you only 103 points. A lot better cost, don't you think?

Now, a power can have more than one Limitation on it, like a Focus that uses Charges that have No Range. When you do this, you keep adding up the Limitations to divide once. So a -1/4, -1/4 and a -1/2 set would be a total of -1, dividing the cost by 2.

The same thing for Advantages. A power could be Armor Piercing, Autofire, Penetrating and Area of Effect. It would be expensive as f***, but you could buy that.

Basically, the Multipower is a great way to save points on powers that you can't use all at the same time.

Lets say you have four powers, each one at 75 AP

75 Power 1
75 Power 2
75 Power 3
75 Power 4

This is going to cost you 200 points for these. Rather expensive. But since you are not needing each one at the same time, the Multipower is the perfect way to make this a lot cheaper. You spend the initial 75 in the Pool cost, then allocate each power into its own slot.

75 Multipower 75 Active Points
7f Power 1
7f Power 2
7f Power 3
7f Power 4

This now costs you only 103 points. A lot better cost, don't you think?

Now, a power can have more than one Limitation on it, like a Focus that uses Charges that have No Range. When you do this, you keep adding up the Limitations to divide once. So a -1/4, -1/4 and a -1/2 set would be a total of -1, dividing the cost by 2.

The same thing for Advantages. A power could be Armor Piercing, Autofire, Penetrating and Area of Effect. It would be expensive as f***, but you could buy that.
Alright. Cool.

So what i do first is buy the Multipower.

108 for 75ap

Now within that MP I treat the AP separate in terms of cost. A closed system.

Within that system. Each power is calculated as its own closed system in regards to their calculations.

So how would I handle

7f Power A (75ap) with a 1/2 limitation.

Do I only need to get it to 75 ap cost AFTER all modifiers +/- are factored in?

Or is 75 worth the base potency I can't pass?

For example max base blast at 15d6. 75ap
Could I finagle it to 20d6 if I used limitations to keep it costing 75ap?

If I spent 75ap, would it be busting the cap to add a 1/2 modifier and pay 112ap?

More questions!

1. Whats a good amount of End Reserve to get? Cause 75ap is a LOT of endurance.

1a. If I match my End to Rec in a reserve, would it be essentially unlimited? As I take a single turn to recharge it fully.

2. Is there a cap on other characteristics?

3. In a 75 Multipower, the f and v add up to the 75 in the MP? For example, 5f 5f 10v would fill a 20ap MP?

4. Is fixed slots always fired at full power?

5. Is Knockback resistance, Power Defense, Flash Defense, damage Negation (- damage class) etc. Also capped at 30?

So what i do first is buy the Multipower.

108 for 75ap
I'm not sure where you get the 108 points for the 75 AP. If you are putting an Advantage on a Multipower, it raises the AP of that, so you have to start with a lower level MP before you apply the Advantage, keeping the final AP cost as under the 75 cap I'm putting on.
So how would I handle

7f Power A (75ap) with a 1/2 limitation.
That Limitation would drop the cost of that slot to 4 CP.
Do I only need to get it to 75 ap cost AFTER all modifiers +/- are factored in?
Advantages raise the AP of a power, making it cost more and be more effective. Since I am placing a cap of 75 AP on the power, you cannot add up more stuff on there to cost more than that. After your AP is calculated from Advantages as under the 75 cap, you then apply the limitations to lower the Character Points of the power.
For example max base blast at 15d6. 75ap
Could I finagle it to 20d6 if I used limitations to keep it costing 75ap?
No. The 20d6 power is 100 AP, even with Limitations.
If I spent 75ap, would it be busting the cap to add a 1/2 modifier and pay 112ap?
Yes. At this point, you cannot go over 75 AP.
More questions!

1. Whats a good amount of End Reserve to get? Cause 75ap is a LOT of endurance.

1a. If I match my End to Rec in a reserve, would it be essentially unlimited? As I take a single turn to recharge it fully.

2. Is there a cap on other characteristics?

3. In a 75 Multipower, the f and v add up to the 75 in the MP? For example, 5f 5f 10v would fill a 20ap MP?

4. Is fixed slots always fired at full power?

5. Is Knockback resistance, Power Defense, Flash Defense, damage Negation (- damage class) etc. Also capped at 30?
1. I'd say in the 80-150 range is a good amount, considering the level of the Recovery in the End Reserve. Don't forget that the Recovery is a lot more expensive to buy, so it will become prohibitive to have a Recovery at the same level as your End Reserve. For your Recovery, I'd suggest a 20-40 on that, depending on your Speed. A higher Speed will burn through your End a lot faster than a lower one.

2. OCV and DCV are currently capped at 12 each right now, including Skill Levels.

3. I'm not sure what you mean with this one. If you have a 20 AP power in your 75 point Pool, you have 55 points floating about that you can use on another slot. If a 75 AP slot is bought as a Variable one, you could then use only 55 points of that 75 point slot. If it is a Fixed slot, you wouldn't be able to do that, since it has to use the full 75 and there are no more points left in the Pool.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. But depending on what Defense you buy, 30 is a whopping shit-ton of defense. Knockback Resistance, for example. Also, if you are going to be buying Damage Negation, I will want to keep a close eye on your Defenses, and I may lower the 30 point cap on that one Defense to keep you able to be hurt by something out there and not insta-kill the other members of the party.

Last edited:
I briefly toyed with getting Damage Negation for my ED, with the thought that I was more energy-attack resistant, but I just bought my ED higher.

You can get Damage Negation, just be careful with it. In high levels, it can get oogy real fast.

Maybe I should get some levels of Damage Negation instead of Damage Reduction? I'll have to ponder that.

I'm not sure where you get the 108 points for the 75 AP. If you are putting an Advantage on a Multipower, it raises the AP of that, so you have to start with a lower level MP before you apply the Advantage, keeping the final AP cost as under the 75 cap I'm putting on.

That Limitation would drop the cost of that slot to 4 CP.

Advantages raise the AP of a power, making it cost more and be more effective. Since I am placing a cap of 75 AP on the power, you cannot add up more stuff on there to cost more than that. After your AP is calculated from Advantages as under the 75 cap, you then apply the limitations to lower the Character Points of the power.

No. The 20d6 power is 100 AP, even with Limitations.

Yes. At this point, you cannot go over 75 AP.

1. I'd say in the 80-150 range is a good amount, considering the level of the Recovery in the End Reserve. Don't forget that the Recovery is a lot more expensive to buy, so it will become prohibitive to have a Recovery at the same level as your End Reserve. For your Recovery, I'd suggest a 20-40 on that, depending on your Speed. A higher Speed will burn through your End a lot faster than a lower one.

2. OCV and DCV are currently capped at 12 each right now, including Skill Levels.

3. I'm not sure what you mean with this one. If you have a 20 AP power in your 75 point Pool, you have 55 points floating about that you can use on another slot. If a 75 AP slot is bought as a Variable one, you could then use only 55 points of that 75 point slot. If it is a Fixed slot, you wouldn't be able to do that, since it has to use the full 75 and there are no more points left in the Pool.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. But depending on what Defense you buy, 30 is a whopping shit-ton of defense. Knockback Resistance, for example. Also, if you are going to be buying Damage Negation, I will want to keep a close eye on your Defenses, and I may lower the 30 point cap on that one Defense to keep you able to be hurt by something out there and not insta-kill the other members of the party.

The 108 i pulled out my head cause you said something about spending 103 in an MP and I read it as 108 cause I can't remember how much they cost.

Regarding the blast example. It was just an example. I wasn't meaning it literally, as I'm fine with 15d6. My bigger question is something i'm having trouble explaining.

Does the 75ap cap apply BEFORE or AFTER limitations. Would a 75ap power with a -1/4 on it count as maxing the 75ap cap, therefore i could not apply that 15ap. And it matters only in regard to lower the slot cost.

My example was saying if I spent "X" above 75, and lowered the end amount below 75 with a limitation, would it considered still be over the cap?

Defense! I wasn't going to go ham with all of those defenses.

30 Flash Defense for both Sight and Sound. (Might be overkill, I don't know) I figured it made sense given he has a fancy helmet to protect him there.

I got a -10m knockback defense for 1f (not sure if its high or low). Since his armor would be a heavy thing.

ED and PD I have capped at 30 each. (Of which I intend to get hardened and maybe impenatrable for as Advantages.

I have Power Defense at 30, given his suit pairs with his transform ability, I figured it would keep him from freezing himself or being melted.

And I have damage negation (heat/fire) at -6 damage class. I don't know how much of it would be significant. But given what his suit was made for, I imagine it would be very very resilient to heat and cold damage. (Was going to get cold negation too)

Also listed Damage Reduction 75% for ED, MD, and PD. Since its, well. Armor, and I got points to spend. Was going to use Resistant Defense for both, but that was more expensive.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to make him this tanky with 75ap. But the fixed 1/10 really made it easier to pump the suit up, and still add in gadgets. To that end, I may need to bulk up his suit to be a bit bigger.

Is that too much Defense?

More more questions!

1. If I had a limitation of OIF or OAF, where would I apply that?

If I had a

7f Blast (75ap)

And my Multipower had a across board OIF.

Would that limitation reduce the CP cost of the MP, the powers AP, or the slots 7f?

Hey Epiphany Epiphany - I see your name showing up here and there. Any chance to have you aboard as well, or is the schedule too tight at the moment? I mean, it's not my place to invite people here, but it'd be a blast to have you around.

Regarding the blast example. It was just an example. I wasn't meaning it literally, as I'm fine with 15d6. My bigger question is something i'm having trouble explaining.

Does the 75ap cap apply BEFORE or AFTER limitations. Would a 75ap power with a -1/4 on it count as maxing the 75ap cap, therefore i could not apply that 15ap. And it matters only in regard to lower the slot cost.

My example was saying if I spent "X" above 75, and lowered the end amount below 75 with a limitation, would it considered still be over the cap?
I think I see where you are getting confused. You are mixing up Active Cost of the power with Character Points spend buying it. You can have a power that might have an AP cost of 75 points but only cost you 40 due to Limitations. The AP cost is always the upper cost of the power with Advantages applied to it before any Limitations get put to it. Does that explain it better?

Also, just keep in mind that if you are putting your defenses into the Multipower, they only work when that slot is up and is active. So I would advise against doing that. You need to buy your defenses separate from your MP.
More more questions!

1. If I had a limitation of OIF or OAF, where would I apply that?

If I had a

7f Blast (75ap)

And my Multipower had a across board OIF.

Would that limitation reduce the CP cost of the MP, the powers AP, or the slots 7f?
You would put that on the MP Pool cost itself. Then the Limitation also applies to the slots, dropping their costs also. Take a peek at Psychie's character for an example. Her slots only cost her 3cp because of the Limitations on the Pool cost that run down to the powers in it.

Hey Epiphany Epiphany - I see your name showing up here and there. Any chance to have you aboard as well, or is the schedule too tight at the moment? I mean, it's not my place to invite people here, but it'd be a blast to have you around.
I've noticed you, too, Epiphany Epiphany . There is room for one more if you are interested.

I think I see where you are getting confused. You are mixing up Active Cost of the power with Character Points spend buying it. You can have a power that might have an AP cost of 75 points but only cost you 40 due to Limitations. The AP cost is always the upper cost of the power with Advantages applied to it before any Limitations get put to it. Does that explain it better?

Also, just keep in mind that if you are putting your defenses into the Multipower, they only work when that slot is up and is active. So I would advise against doing that. You need to buy your defenses separate from your MP.

You would put that on the MP Pool cost itself. Then the Limitation also applies to the slots, dropping their costs also. Take a peek at Psychie's character for an example. Her slots only cost her 3cp because of the Limitations on the Pool cost that run down to the powers in it.

Yes that does explain it better. Thank you!

Okay. Defenses.... so only one slot active at a time for a MP? Alright. So

If I wanted to make a suit of power armor... its defenses would NOT be a Multipower unless it was specific things about the armor to switch between. Where I might choose between Flight and a Forcefield, while it would make both cheaper I would not be able to use both at the same time.

Instead I would put those as personal powers with a OIF instead. With the foci narratively translating as my armor.

I would look at Psychies! But I'm not so experienced that I can look at it without seeing gobblygook. I AM learning though. Slowly but surely. Trying to make my own so as to learn. But you will no doubt find lots of mistakes.

Yes that does explain it better. Thank you!

Okay. Defenses.... so only one slot active at a time for a MP? Alright. So

If I wanted to make a suit of power armor... its defenses would NOT be a Multipower unless it was specific things about the armor to switch between. Where I might choose between Flight and a Forcefield, while it would make both cheaper I would not be able to use both at the same time.

Instead I would put those as personal powers with a OIF instead. With the foci narratively translating as my armor.

I would look at Psychies! But I'm not so experienced that I can look at it without seeing gobblygook. I AM learning though. Slowly but surely. Trying to make my own so as to learn. But you will no doubt find lots of mistakes.
That is right on the money. And anytime you have questions, let me know and I will roll up the sleeves and help.

That is right on the money. And anytime you have questions, let me know and I will roll up the sleeves and help.

Well my big challenge right now is buying and distributing and calculating CP and stuff. Suggestions always help. But I might need your personal hand at some point.

Another question!

1. Would my END reserve go as a personal power that effects everything?

Or would I put an END reserve in a MP where it acts as a battery?

2. Is an END reserve as a personal power still beholden to a 75cp cap?

The End Reserve should be a stand-alone power, running the whole suit. If you put it into the MP, it would only work when that slot is active.

2. Is an END reserve as a personal power still beholden to a 75cp cap?
Generally, non-attack powers don't reach the same level of points as attack powers do, so no, there is no cap to them. Just don't be too ridiculous with what you spend.

More questions!

1. Does ED stack with powers?

Example A: If I buy 30PD as a power for the armor, and my dood already has base 2PD. Does that stack and busts the cap? Or would that 30pd be whats used while I'm in armor thus ignoring my personal PD?

Example B: If I have a personal 2d6 hth attack, and my armor has 4d6 hth attack, does that add to 6d6 as it adds to my current strength? Or would it default to the highest(4d6)?

2. If I took the "Real Armor" limitation, how much would that effect a tech armor beyond needing maintenance?

3. Does flight work underwater in lieu of Swim?

4. Is it pointless to get both Flight and Leaping?

5. How difficult is it to obtain something with the "Difficult to obtain -1/4" limitation?

Generally, non-attack powers don't reach the same level of points as attack powers do, so no, there is no cap to them. Just don't be too ridiculous with what you spend.
Ah! And therein lies the inherent flaw of my newbyness. I don't know what is considered "ridiculous"

Sherwood Sherwood
I have yet to do any final calculations on powers or anything yet.

Would you like to manage that part so that I don't "be ridiculous with my spending"?

You can allocate things appropriately within a build direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back