• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Swords, Savagery, Sorcery, Sedition...

Which Aeon

• "Bronze"

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • "Iron"

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • "Lead"

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Any/All/Either

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That, but in axe form

Might not bend but It sure as hell will dull. I did say bronze holds somewhat of a edge, but that only goes so far after repeated use; especially when your swinging It hard.
I mean, granted, I love talking history

I sure as hell don't :D. Fyi Im not saying to go with the hyborian age setting, but the theme of It. Call It whatever you want and mix things up.

Elaborate bud, I can't read your mind.

That Is true, bronze and Iron are similar. But here's the thing about bronze after repeated use like with a sword, It can end up chipping or bending during combat; though It can hold somewhat of a sharp edge. But overall Its just kinda Inferior to a well made steel sword.

Click

Well of course, I'd personally choose a fine tempered steel sword over bronze any day.

I mean, granted, I love talking history

Same here, which is part of the reason why this RP caught my eye. One for its depth, and two because I've never really seen one that connected to more ancient parts of history

Last edited:
Oh relax man, we're just discussing the essence of what the rp should be; and thats a good thing; It show you all care and I like that. I just think a hyborian age theme would be better suited than our bronze age; cause lets be honest, would you prefer using a bronze made sword that bends and ships after repeated use or would you rather have something like... CIMMERIAN STEEL!!!!

Related image
Ok it has been a while since I read any stories where Conan goes into any level of detail of his homeland, but I don't remember anything about Cimmerians producing steel. Also while the Arnold movies are fun, they're really not good adaptations.

My take on this is that if the game is going to be set in an ancient bronze age era it'd be good to, you know, work with that? Instead of just applying the slightest coat of paint to a more generic fantasy flair. I'm not a historian but do rather like matters of violence and look at how you can play with all this:

Bronze is typically harder than wrought iron, but bronze requires tin and tin is rare, so tin sources and trade were a major influence in developing cultures because it gave them a literal edge. But then iron is far, far more plentiful, so wrought iron items are likely more numerous in several areas and just having more people with metal arms can be a big deal when some cultures could/should likely still be in some stone age variant.

Saying stone age sounds bad but it adds more variety and flair and gives you wonderful things like making bladed weapons out of putting shark teeth or obsidian razorblades on a stick. Going back to metals, steelmaking was a thing in a literal handful of places in ancient/classical times, was produced in comparatively minute quantities even then (wrought iron was still commonly used up to the late medieval period or so far as I can tell) and the process of steelmaking was set back ages in the west when the Western Roman Empire fell. This can be important setting stuff too.

Also, if you've recieved a Cookie from me on your Character Sheets, that means they're good to go (except for Bonds, which are, by their nature, mercurial)

StormWolf StormWolf hiya, so this is my first rp on this site. This rp looks really interesting, I was watching Kiroshiven Kiroshiven and thought this would a fun adventure. my question is, do we know how long ago the shattering occured? I'm thinking of making an alchemist who is researching the event to recreate the effects safely and or reverse it.

Current RP events take place before, and will likely lead up to that event and matters surrounding it.

"Iron" and "lead" eras take place after that particular cataclysm. However, it has been a few hundred years since the death of a god, which lead to the loss of some of the greatest bastions of civilization and the High Science.

Current RP events take place before, and will likely lead up to that event and matters surrounding it.

"Iron" and "lead" eras take place after that particular cataclysm. However, it has been a few hundred years since the death of a god, which lead to the loss of some of the greatest bastions of civilization and the High Science.
So, based on what I read in the interest check, the Shattering was also part of what killed Sekhraksha and brought the end of the Nkosi's cities. So the cities are gone, but not everything has fallen apart? Just trying to get the timeline in check myself. :) As my character is trying to rebuild those nations along with her own.

The Shattering typically refers to the actual, tangible cataclysm that tore the pangeatic super-continent into what it becomes in later aeons. However, that moment of climax has a long build up. The death of Sekhraksha and the loss of the Sister Cities was the first of many terrible upheavals. You are in the Age of Shattering, but it is not known as such, because The Moment hasn't happened yet.

I do so hope I am making sense.

The Shattering typically refers to the actual, tangible cataclysm that tore the pangeatic super-continent into what it becomes in later aeons. However, that moment of climax has a long build up. The death of Sekhraksha and the loss of the Sister Cities was the first of many terrible upheavals. You are in the Age of Shattering, but it is not known as such, because The Moment hasn't happened yet.

I do so hope I am making sense.
Yes, yes you are. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Okay, good. I do apologize for some of the murkiness in the OP. I was trying to convey history as well as theme + mood for three distinctly different anchors in the timeline.

Looking at "the higher science" my character has the talent, would it be possible to use a scarf i wear as my focus? I know it's a weird request but i wanted to try something interesting.

Okay, good. I do apologize for some of the murkiness in the OP. I was trying to convey history as well as theme + mood for three distinctly different anchors in the timeline.
Is all good. This is why we ask questions. As RPer's it's partially our job to learn as much about the world that we're entering into so we can properly portray characters within it.

Looking at "the higher science" my character has the talent, would it be possible to use a scarf i wear as my focus? I know it's a weird request but i wanted to try something interesting.
I don't see why not. Rune or hieroglyph embroidered cloth like a stole? A sign of position as well as a practical arcane focus? I can dig it.

I am more of a traveling researcher, who practices alchemy to uncover mysteries about the world. But yes, I shall indeed be an alchemist by trade.
Granted, alchemy is likely more of the scientific part of the High Science, but certain reagents would certainly require the Talent to acquire. Only an Alchemist could actually catch lightning in a bottle, I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back