Other So, one-shots.

Sibelle Grey

Worldweaver
I, personally, develop my characters for my (long-term, 1x1) roleplays through roleplays and short stories only. But what about scene-long, scratch-the-itch, oneshot type RP exercises? Where you roleplay a single event, conversation or moment with another roleplayer so you can both better understand your characters in small ways? Very short-term, essentially. I would be interested in this. I feel like short-term roleplays that fizzle out very quickly are the bane of-- well, most of our roleplaying existence, because we want roleplays that last.
But there's something to be said for short, character-building roleplays that have no other function than to reveal characters and go nowhere major.

JujuBee JujuBee
Nozomu Nozomu
CastoffCaptain CastoffCaptain
pygmyxprincess pygmyxprincess
Lorsh Lorsh

I would absolutely be interested in this. A lot of my brain-time is enveloped by single scenes, or perhaps a set that don't go any farther than say, three scenes at best.

I'm with Captain (hi). I'm always thinking up little things but they have no solid foundation to go with. Or it was for a role play that went two poss before dying. I would LOVE to write little things, like first meetings and the like. I have so many half developed characters from those rps that die immediately it hurts, man. Plus, with one shots, if you have a day off and just wanna get some writing done, you can do so without like, long term commitment. I know I go through phases where I really really want to write, but I don't have the ability to commit for weeks, etc because work and life. So I have the creative energy and nowhere to really go with it.

I like short-term RP stuff too. Even when long-term characters aren't concerned, it can be a useful universe-building tool. Like roleplaying a single event in your RP world, simply using "side" characters that, depending on whether or not you want to develop them further (or just scratch an "action" itch), could even just end up dying during it.

Now, this is exactly the thing my poor, exerted fingers — and in extension, my weary, noncommittal mind — requires.

I'm sort of doing this with a role play right now and I have to say that it's definitely given more depth to both characters. They had a preexisting relationship/history at the start of the rp and during ooc talks of how certain events went down we decided to actually write one. And its not only been fun, but def a learning experience. You really get to flesh things out and for this example, I've been able to see how much my character would have changed over a 5 year period.

I am all the way for this. There have always been events where I can talk about a certain scene within a long-term roleplay with someone and we'd get all excited for it only for us to never even reach that point within the roleplay. Having something where we could literally just act out that one scene would be wonderful that way we're both satisfied.

I always put a lot of love into my characters and try to make them as best as possible,but its hard sometimes when things fall apart before they even begin. That being said, my preference is somewhere in the middle between short and sweet and an endless mediocre epic like one piece. I want an rp with a beginning, middle, and ending. Is that asking for too much? Probably

Just thought I'd leave my two cents. Good luck in 1 x 1 land

Everyone's already pointed out all the positives man, I am all for this type of writing. Mostly because of my work hours and love of sleeping

But I think the way to do it would be like, a noticeboard? People can post themes or intros that people just directly reply to, straight into it

Edit: on that note I have seen that on other forums in the past and participated in it. I even threw an intro up here once just to see if anyone would bite. Honestly it's a great way to RP guys yes

Everyone's already pointed out all the positives man, I am all for this type of writing. Mostly because of my work hours and love of sleeping

But I think the way to do it would be like, a noticeboard? People can post themes or intros that people just directly reply to, straight into it

Edit: on that note I have seen that on other forums in the past and participated in it. I even threw an intro up here once just to see if anyone would bite. Honestly it's a great way to RP guys yes

So you're saying like an interest check kind of thing? Like, post up the type of scene you're looking for and then see if anyone bites?

JujuBee JujuBee

Yeah! Or, the way I prefer to do it is to post an intro and see if anyone fancies replying to it! I've got so many lying around that I never got to use and I go through them every once in a while thinking 'oh yeah, I'd like to go back to that'

I tried it once here actually

I'm personally not looking for anything in particular at the moment, so I'm interested in doing this if any of you have something you're itching for! (: Just shoot me a message or something.

Are we thinking of doing this individually or posting our mini-searches in a single thread? Because I'd be happy to post my prompts/scene ideas here or on a multi-person thread.

Short Shots. A beautiful name for it.
But I seriously think this should be a thing.
I would love to do something like this but instead of putting up a scene, I'd also like just putting up a character and seeing if someone would like to write a scene with their own character. Just talk about the kind of relationship they could have and write random scenes of the two.
We need to make this official.

Characters would be fun too! Ooooh I have such an itching to write one of mine and any time I get a chance, the rp falls through before starting. Not good luck with her.

Yeah, dudes. I want to do a couple of short-shots. Hell, I'll briefly mention one of them here on my work break!

This could be a time-traveler to the past, this could be purely historical.

Setting:
Anglo-Saxon England with Danes (omg teh vikingz and swordz)
Characters: One woman (a Saxon or a time-traveling historian), one male Dane captive
The Scene: The Dane and his raiding party have just been captured by a group of vengeful Saxons who are out for blood. The young woman spots the Dane in question in the middle of his companions who have surrendered and are being slaughtered by the Saxons. For whatever reason, she begs for this Dane's life, and he becomes her property. It's that initial start of the head-butting, attraction-hate-distrust-dependency and battle of wills is what I want to play around with.

Please note. Please.

This isn't a "OMG master/slave BDSM please call me mistress" kind of thing. Not at all. Two very strong characters with very strong wills who are both involved in a situation where they're forced to deal with the prevailing customs, laws, etc even though they want to do the opposite.

If you come to me wanting dom/sub stuff, I will drop you like a hot, snotty rock.

I could easily play any role, but I definitely need a partner who's strong with dialogue and enjoys language barriers and characters not immediately liking each other.

This can also be done with Romans in Britain, but with a different scene-- ask if interested.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back