Other So, one-shots.

Yeah, dudes. I want to do a couple of short-shots. Hell, I'll briefly mention one of them here on my work break!

This could be a time-traveler to the past, this could be purely historical.

Setting:
Anglo-Saxon England with Danes (omg teh vikingz and swordz)
Characters: One woman (a Saxon or a time-traveling historian), one male Dane captive
The Scene: The Dane and his raiding party have just been captured by a group of vengeful Saxons who are out for blood. The young woman spots the Dane in question in the middle of his companions who have surrendered and are being slaughtered by the Saxons. For whatever reason, she begs for this Dane's life, and he becomes her property. It's that initial start of the head-butting, attraction-hate-distrust-dependency and battle of wills is what I want to play around with.

Please note. Please.

This isn't a "OMG master/slave BDSM please call me mistress" kind of thing. Not at all. Two very strong characters with very strong wills who are both involved in a situation where they're forced to deal with the prevailing customs, laws, etc even though they want to do the opposite.

If you come to me wanting dom/sub stuff, I will drop you like a hot, snotty rock.

I could easily play any role, but I definitely need a partner who's strong with dialogue and enjoys language barriers and characters not immediately liking each other.

This can also be done with Romans in Britain, but with a different scene-- ask if interested.

I could do that. (: I'll talk more tho later since you're at work and im at the bar and being told to "stop role playing we are in public"

If anyone wants, I have a few characters I would like to place in certain situations. Nothing too crazy and what not. It would be on the realistic/modern side.

I somehow wasn't watching this thread???? omg
But yayyyyy yeah guys, let's do this!

I do think it would be awesome to have a Short Shots section on the site someday, to keep things organized. With a search of sorts, a noticeboard like persimmon persimmon said so everyone could find what they're looking for easily. But sections don't sprout overnight, so let's work with what we've got until then. Maybe put searches up in the looking for partners section, but I think explaining it over and over in searches might get annoying (for me. I'm lazy.) so a common thread for people who are into this seems like the way to go for now.
I think I could maybe start a new thread? With a template of sorts, so everyone could post what they're looking to short-shoot and get responses through PMs so the thread doesn't get cluttered. Basically, a short list of your characters, situations you'd like to put them into or a scene you'd like to play out in general, or an intro someone could message you to reply to. An ad, essentially. This thread would have an eventual directory by theme or scene count if there's a lot of interest (if anyone wants to code for this eventual directory that may go nowhere, hmu). Thoughts?

Also, for those who have ongoing roleplays that they want to roleplay shorts of for worldbuilding reasons, for example, hitting up your partners is the way to do that. I think people would be open to that :) Unidirectional storytelling isn't the only way to play.

I somehow wasn't watching this thread???? omg
But yayyyyy yeah guys, let's do this!

I do think it would be awesome to have a Short Shots section on the site someday, to keep things organized. With a search of sorts, a noticeboard like persimmon persimmon said so everyone could find what they're looking for easily. But sections don't sprout overnight, so let's work with what we've got until then. Maybe put searches up in the looking for partners section, but I think explaining it over and over in searches might get annoying (for me. I'm lazy.) so a common thread for people who are into this seems like the way to go for now.
I think I could maybe start a new thread? With a template of sorts, so everyone could post what they're looking to short-shoot and get responses through PMs so the thread doesn't get cluttered. Basically, a short list of your characters, situations you'd like to put them into or a scene you'd like to play out in general, or an intro someone could message you to reply to. An ad, essentially. Thoughts?

Also, for those who have ongoing roleplays that they want to roleplay shorts of for worldbuilding reasons, for example, hitting up your partners is the way to do that. I think people would be open to that :) Unidirectional storytelling isn't the only way to play.

i know right?? i wasn't watching it either but hey this is awesome!

i think one central thread is the way to go. the way i see it is people post their ad in the thread and the first post can have a directory of players with the genre they're looking for and a short blurb?
so it would look like this;

persimmon - looking - medieval fantasy, wizards (link here that goes straight to the ad with more information)

maybe more time consuming this way? but people don't have to scroll through pages and pages to find out if someone's interested in the same specific thing they're looking for. i'd totally be up for helping out with this btw!!

10/10 reading comprehenshion my guy (myself)
anyway basically i agree with you 100% sibelle i'm just a m o m e n t o u s idiot

Right, tags are done, I think. Still taking suggestions for just about everything, especially where the directory's concerned.

Would be nice to get the word out more somehow, I hope more ppl become interested for this type of stuff in the future because suddenly I really want to do the little idea thing I came up with -dies-

I would be heaps keen on this if the barrier to entry was a little lower. I don't really have time to submit a character sheet and carefully hash out a plot for a RP that will last one scene. That's just a lot of work for such a brief payoff. I think there are probably a few people in the same boat.

However, if we were to have essentially an open-scene section, I'd be all for that. Anyone could jump into an open scene, and if the OP had criteria they wanted they could just post it at the top of the thread before the starter. To me that would make each one a fun experiment, and if it doesn't work then hey - it wasn't a big effort wasted.

I would be heaps keen on this if the barrier to entry was a little lower. I don't really have time to submit a character sheet and carefully hash out a plot for a RP that will last one scene. That's just a lot of work for such a brief payoff. I think there are probably a few people in the same boat.

However, if we were to have essentially an open-scene section, I'd be all for that. Anyone could jump into an open scene, and if the OP had criteria they wanted they could just post it at the top of the thread before the starter. To me that would make each one a fun experiment, and if it doesn't work then hey - it wasn't a big effort wasted.
You can always just post an intro with a little description attached straight into the one x one board! Put (open) in the title or something like that, then maybe you can just leave it to the side and bump it every once in a while, see if anyone bites.
If not, and you still really want to roleplay the scene out, why not post a little thing on short shots? You don't have to fill in all the categories after all, it's just the more you give, more rounded out your idea is. If your idea isn't rounded out in the first place, like so many sudden inspirations aren't, then that's fine!!

You can always just post an intro with a little description attached straight into the one x one board! Put (open) in the title or something like that, then maybe you can just leave it to the side and bump it every once in a while, see if anyone bites.
If not, and you still really want to roleplay the scene out, why not post a little thing on short shots? You don't have to fill in all the categories after all, it's just the more you give, more rounded out your idea is. If your idea isn't rounded out in the first place, like so many sudden inspirations aren't, then that's fine!!
!! True, I think I misunderstood how this is working. Thanks!

Basically, yeah. The form's a guideline of things you may want to include, not a requirement. You can post a random idea if you'd like. And there is "Scene(s)/ Idea(s) / Intro(s)/ Looking to RP:", so just an intro you like is fine Coward Coward . I'll probably make that clearer in the minutes to come

Basically, yeah. The form's a guideline of things you may want to include, not a requirement. You can post a random idea if you'd like. And there is "Scene(s)/ Idea(s) / Intro(s)/ Looking to RP:", so just an intro you like is fine Coward Coward . I'll probably make that clearer in the minutes to come
One thing on the bulletin that might be helpful is to have submitters indicate if they're still looking for a partner or if they've found one.

I, personally, develop my characters for my (long-term, 1x1) roleplays through roleplays and short stories only. But what about scene-long, scratch-the-itch, oneshot type RP exercises? Where you roleplay a single event, conversation or moment with another roleplayer so you can both better understand your characters in small ways? Very short-term, essentially. I would be interested in this. I feel like short-term roleplays that fizzle out very quickly are the bane of-- well, most of our roleplaying existence, because we want roleplays that last.
But there's something to be said for short, character-building roleplays that have no other function than to reveal characters and go nowhere major.

JujuBee JujuBee
@Hope Robinson
CastoffCaptain CastoffCaptain
pygmyxprincess pygmyxprincess
@Swarx

Sounds good to me! I'd love to do that! I was in a few long term rps. I'm looking for both long term and one shots though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back