Character Theory RPing Races/Ethnicities Different From Your Own

I think as long as you aren't making racist stereotypes it's fine to play outside your comfort zone.

People are people. So long as your character is well written and fits the narrative you have established in your story than you can play just about anything.

Now that being the case if you are going to play out a prejudice that you have not faced. Or you are trying to portray a specific CULTURE than for the love of god do some research. Don't rely purely on stereotypes. Actually look up how people in that culture behave. Or ask people who have faced X prejudice for their experience.

i'm all for it! especially if you're gonna be rping as someone who's very in touch with their cultures past, it's so interesting to read about all that stuff

I have done this many many times before and I am all for it! My suggestion is to definitely research the culture and have it be an aspect of the character. As culture shapes who a person is, however a pitfall you should never fall into. DO NOT LET THE CULTURE DEFINE THE CHARACTER, human beings are different than a defined list of either stereotypes, or what a culture is like, that's the difference from someone who happens to be Polish, rather than someone who IS Polish, so while the character shouldn't be defined by the culture, one should have some influence from it, as too little and the character might feel incomplete or too much like someone from a different country with a different skin color or appearance.

I agree that it's perfectly fine to rp outside of your own race/ethnicity, and would even encourage it. However, as rae2nerdy rae2nerdy has already mentioned, you should be mindful that you are not perpetuating harmful racial stereotypes with your character. Now, that isn't to say that there aren't any people who do adhere to certain stereotypes, and I have come across well-written characters that do conform to certain stereotypes. However, these characters don't ever exist purely as a stereotype. They might conform to a stereotype or two, but they are multi-faceted, and have dimension like real people do. Generally speaking, though, it can be difficult to do tastefully, and I'd probably say it's best to leave those types of characters to people who have firsthand experience.

Research is definitely your best friend when attempting to portray cultures outside your own. I would highly advise it; even looking at a wikipedia article or two is better than going off stereotypes and your own preconceptions. The culture of a character should definitely have some influence on them, but as The Omen of Death The Omen of Death said, don't let the culture define the character. Culture is important. Without it, you might as well be writing any other old character. However, it should not be the only thing that defines your character. As with people, we should define characters by their personalities, dispositions, morals, and values, not just by their race or ethnic/cultural background.

When it comes to culture I actually recommend asking in the forum if you can find people from X country/culture to give you tips. Also look at travel websites or for blogs of people who lived abroad in such and such a place. The closer to real life perspective you can get the better.

And also take from multiple different perspectives, don't just take from one source.

The same with just playing an ethnicity that isn't your own. If you are going to be writing about a prejudice or something that people might face because of their skin color , disability, sexuality, etc. Than research that. Don't go the wiki route. See if you can't find forums online for people who suffer this prejudice and who give their experiences.

Make a thread on this site and see if you can't get any tips.

Heck research if you can find publications for this specific minority to really flesh out the character.

I agree with everything that was said, I just want to add something.
There's a fun side to writing a character of different nationality which is, occasionally having them burst into their native tongue when the moment calls for it. I have an Italian character that does not swear in English and it's often bursting out into 'Dio Mio!' instead of 'Oh my god', there are also occasional references to the characteristic hand waving and pronunciation issues, especially with names. (Also did you know that the Italian thinking sound is 'ehhh' instead of 'uhhh'? I learned that by doing some research!)
If anyone ever decides to do something like that as well, however, I suggest picking a language you would know enough of the structure so that even if you're not fluent and run your sentences through a translator (I like Babylon), you're still able to tell when the translator has messed up completely. That's my case with both Italian and Japanese (which I'll always write in romaji to not screw up with Kanji). I would never pick something like Russian or Korean for this because I simply don't know enough about the language, it's too risky.
Also, do have a little spoiler note with the translations somewhere in the post, so that people don't have to keep asking you what it means all the time, unless it's supposed to be secret ofc >w<

Now for a bit of a tangent... That might be off-topic? (Oops!)

Technically, I'm always writing a character that's not of my own nationality, since I may know a lot about American culture, but I'm not American myself. Now speaking as someone who has only recently started exploring her own nationality in writing, I gotta say that there's something very enticing and magical about the practice.
Writing a Brazilian character who is currently aboard in America has been giving me the opportunity to make pop culture references given certain occasions and actively role-play the struggle that is trying to speak a language that's not actively yours. It gives me some leverage to dabble in the many confusions and hardships of being a Portuguese speaker with an average understanding of the English language's structure but a poor vocabulary variety (especially with the expressions, omg those are really hard and we have ones that are completely different!).

So yeah, overall all of these experiences have been nothing but pleasurable to me, and I'd definitely recommend that others tried them as well, especially trying to write your own nationality for once. Really, I keep wondering why it had never crossed my mind to do this before since it's just so... free and natural flowing! It's been nothing but fun times!

Last edited:
I'm almost always playing in a fictional fantasy setting so when i play a ethnicity different from my own (a very very white american) I don't have to worry about culture and predjudice and stuff because it's a fictional world And that stuff doesn't exist. (They're too busy being predjudiced against fantastical races anyways).

. . . At this point, if I sat my characters around a table, I'd definitely get some international vibes concerning culture and appearance, considering fantasy worlds are based on real countries.
I'm all for diversity, so I'd say playing different cultures and ethnicities can be an exercise in characterization.
I don't agree that prejudice and social issues don't exist in fantasy worlds-- if you're playing characters who are people or person-adjacent, people are generally terrible so there's bound to be some of that in the background. Anywhere you have one culture interacting with another, there's bound to be an effect on society and the way each group perceives the other group. That's the way I play it, anyway, rather than ignoring what I believe to be basic human nature.
(Yes, I am very fun at parties).

If the hijk people made their way to lmnop where the qrs had already settled, either they clashed or they mingled. If they clashed and surmounted these issues, there might still be underlying 'othering', even on the smallest scale, regardless of whether they're a united lmnopese people at the time of the roleplay. If they mingled, each culture brought something of their own, which still has an effect.
History has an impact on culture and on the way cultures interact with each other. On the way people of these cultures see themselves and each other. It doesn't have to be overt. Most of the time it isn't. Which only makes roleplaying these subtleties more fun.
These considerations are a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes worldbuilding you don't actually have to roleplay entire scenes about (unless you're into that-- is that what nationbuilding is? Someone please tell me.) but I do like to weave them lightly into my roleplays.

Yes, so back to the original question on race and ethnicity.
It's very much the same. People who have fundamental differences often react to these differences. I don't stand for colorblindness irl, I don't want it in my roleplays. Most of the time race will not affect every single interaction your character has with another character, but it is still a factor somehow in my characters' individual viewpoints. If you're roleplaying in a society where it really doesn't make a difference at all whether someone is an elf or an orc, then you don't have to consider that. I personally choose to do so-- it adds realism, depth, layers to my social structures and reveals things about my characters. It's the multiracial cyborg's indignation over some receptionist in the 1960s is looking down on her for her melanin when she's worth infinitely more than the receptionist could ever hope to be. It's the farmer from a Japanese-inspired culture living in a Nepali-inspired town in the mountains and being fine with being different and distantly aware that this isn't home, but it's the only home he's truly known. It's the nobleman from a hybrid culture being immensely proud of his roots and thus willing to defend them with every tool at his disposal.

So, you can roleplay different ethnicities. Just don't look at it from a superficial point of view and go with the stereotypes because they're fun and easy to implement. Do your research. Respect the culture. If there is prejudice-- and there usually is-- evaluate how relevant it would be to your character's experience as that ethnicity given their circumstances (wealth, location, family life, etc.).
If your character is Black, being Black shouldn't be your entire character. That's lazy writing, it's often offensive, and you'd be better off just playing what you know.
Which begs the question, how do I know whether I'm being offensive? Why should I try if people are going to jump down my throat if I get it wrong?? Diversity for the sake of diversity is stupid!!!
To question 1, feel free to ask (I do believe there's an entire section dedicated to character feedback for this purpose), and be open to critique should someone find issue with your portrayal.
To question 2, if you think pointing out you're perpetuating stereotypes is attacking you, leave it alone. Just don't even do it. Spare us all. If you're taking such a negative stance on this from the outset, you're most likely not mature enough to do it respectfully. Roleplaying different races should come from a place of willingness to learn. Now, if this is a genuine concern for you and not an excuse to avoid diversity, know that no-one should be raging at you unless you're doing something horribly wrong. In which case, in this day and age with all the information available to you, I would probably yell at you too.
To comment 3, well, anyone saying that probably isn't looking to diversify their character range (and might be part of the problem).

this point, if I sat my characters around a table, I'd definitely get some international vibes concerning culture and appearance, considering fantasy worlds are based on real countries.
I'm all for diversity, so I'd say playing different cultures and ethnicities can be an exercise in characterization.
I don't agree that prejudice and social issues don't exist in fantasy worlds-- if you're playing characters who are people or person-adjacent, people are generally terrible so there's bound to be some of that in the background. Anywhere you have one culture interacting with another, there's bound to be an effect on society and the way each group perceives the other group. That's the way I play it, anyway, rather than ignoring what I believe to be basic human nature.
(Yes, I am very fun at parties).
Yeah, I know. I jever said that predjudice didn't exist. I just said that that specific predjudice doesn't exist. Humans are a unified tribe similar to all the other races in my world (excpet for elves. Elves are assholes to everyone. Even their own people.) so the predjuidce is more towards other fantasy races than within their own race. (To make a long story short there is a race that is almost entirely a slave race so they hide in a secluded place in a forest, and a race that's a former slave race that has extreme tension with the elves. The elves are jerks to everyone but tolerate them. Amd the amazons hate every race and their patriarchies, believing them inferior.)

Do excuse me if my answer is a bit crude but to me the matter is really simple: just write A character.

It doesn't matter where they come from, what their gender is, etc... Sure, they do impact the character ultimately, but a character is supposed to be a person, and each person acts, thinks and believes as an individual not as a cross of collectives. Simply put, unless there is a direct relevant aspect of the specific ethnicity, culture, or whatever that you want to make proiminent for the character's backstory and development, those things might as well just be an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back