Other Roleplay Pet peeves

Getting all my ideas at work, but being unable to properly articulate my thoughts on a phone.
This is me so much, and not just with roleplay, but with anything. I could have ideas and be confident in how I want to implement them, finally get the chance to, and stare blankly at my screen or book for minutes on end. Often I find that the energy I had for those ideas at the time just isn't the same by the time I can get to it, and it can be upsetting at times.

I hate when people say '+18 rpers only!' Like, really? Especially when the plot isn't focused on romance at all! Like, I get it when there's romance involved, that might make you uncomfortable, but GOD do you know how many times I've found a sick plot and immediately get hit with the 'no, you're too young to RP with moi.' I'm trying to RP with you, I'm not trying to do anything else. You think people under 18 can't handle your angsty rp or something? It sucks big-time.

Just because a roleplay is 18+, doesn't mean it's solely focused on romance. The way I think of it, if my roleplay was a movie, what rating would it get? Not to mention, a lot of topics that might be explored throughout these roleplays require not only research but sensitivity and maturity. While you can argue that people under the age of eighteen can be mature, developmentally speaking, their brains are not; in fact, though your brain may be done growing in size, it does not finish developing and maturing until the mid-to late 20s. And the last area of your brain to mature is the prefrontal cortex which is the key to reasoning, problem-solving, comprehension, impulse control, creativity and perseverance. So, I think it's fair when people say 18+ roleplayers only.

For example, my latest group roleplay is 100% 18+ because we explore various mental health issues. I want the representation to be respectful, thoroughly researched and never romanticised. I firmly believe that someone under the age of eighteen might not only struggle with the requirement, but it may also add additional stress as they learn about these mental health issues. So, in a way, I'm placing boundaries to ensure the safety of minors. In addition to safety with minors, sometimes writers don't feel comfortable writing with someone who is underage? I know for a fact that my daily life struggles are going to be completely different to someone who is currently going through high school.

Hopefully, you can see where gms like me are coming from.

That's true, but I still find it a bit unfair. Mental health issues sometimes rarely come up in some of the RPs that I've come across, and yet I'm not told I'm mature enough. Sometimes I've had to lie about my age in order to participate in RPs that normally I feel like I shouldn't have to in order to join. But I can understand RPs and their age limits where mental health plays a big role in them, especially since a lot of people around my age are struggling with it.
It just rubs me the wrong way at times, you know?
understandable, but you also have to take into consideration the balance and dynamics of someone who is under eighteen writing and plotting alongside with someone who is in their mid-20s or 30s or even 40s or however old a person is. I've been in roleplays where people who are under the age of eighteen say some really, really inappropriate things and I know if I engage with them, or encourage that behaviour, it can be taken out of context and used against me. I'm not saying all under eighteen year olds will do this. But it's healthier for older writers to set boundaries with younger writers for not only the protection of those underage, but for the protection of ourselves. I have one fellow writer on this site who was seventeen when we started talking; some one else saw that and went around telling people it was weird that I was interacting with minors. Because of that comment going around to other groups, it got twisted and now there is this tension when we do end up talking (haven't spoken to them for months, to be honest); because I now have to be on guard. It just doesn't make this whole writing experience fun if I'm constantly having to set up all these boundaries to ensure that someone else decides to spread rumours

I hate searching for face-claims. I visualize a character too well in my head so nothing pleases me

I...really don't get using face claims at all unless it's art of that actual character. I'll find them for my partners and politely look at the ones they give me, but my brain still just pictures them however my brain pictures them xD

And apologies for double posting, but another pet peeve is when roleplays have specific "roles". I don't mean my character having to have a certain job or be in a certain group to fit the theme, I mean when an interest check gives a list of clichés to fill. No thanks!

I hate searching for face-claims. I visualize a character too well in my head so nothing pleases me
This is one reason why I never actually require face claims. I leave them as optional. If the player just wants to provide a written description then that's good enough for me. We are writers, after all.

More of an issue in game-based RP than play-by-post, but people OOCly killing my character before I give consent, even if they died IC.

Sometimes I just wanna CorpseRP and see what happens afterwards.

When you see a bunch of vapid RTs get the interest of multiple people in a couple of hours, yet the extensive plots and worldbuilds you have poured hours into on your own RTs are continuously ignored even after hundreds of views and days and days of bumping. (just a little bitter about it, yes)

People who go onto other interest checks to complain. Whether it be about their code or getting more interest than they are, just commenting to criticize it when you have no interest in actually joining. If you have no interest in joining, there's no need to comment.
Also, when people who have made a reputation for themselves are upset when no one is interested in interacting with them. If you're known for being rude and cruel to other writers, you've probably scared off a lot of writers who may be interested in your ideas.

Last edited:
when you have a very lax word limit literacy requirement (like 800 words) and a bunch of ppl who barely write 200 words per post apply
49aee562cb1adfbda62ca429c7236bed.jpg

Wanting to rip out a post a few hours after you put it up seeing you could have said what you were trying to say in half the words.

That's true, but I still find it a bit unfair. Mental health issues sometimes rarely come up in some of the RPs that I've come across, and yet I'm not told I'm mature enough. Sometimes I've had to lie about my age in order to participate in RPs that normally I feel like I shouldn't have to in order to join. But I can understand RPs and their age limits where mental health plays a big role in them, especially since a lot of people around my age are struggling with it.
It just rubs me the wrong way at times, you know?
For gods sake please stop lying about what age you are. That is so dangerous For everyone invovled.

For gods sake please stop lying about what age you are. That is so dangerous For everyone invovled.

Also in general unless your lying to spare someone’s feelings, it’s not great to lie to your partners. It fosters a sense of distrust within you and other people that is going to shoot you in the foot when it comes to building relationships.

You do not want to get a reputation as “the person who lies to their partners.”

Age limits are often there to protect the younger roleplayer. When I set an age limit, it's not because I'm looking down upon children, it's because I wish I was protected from particularly dangerous adult roleplayers when I was underage (not to say all adult roleplayers are dangerous, considering I am one now). I'm doing what I wish more adults did to me.

Not to mention, adult interactions online with minors are heavily, heavily scrutinized even years down the line. The last thing we want is some out of context comment blasted around as an accusation of misconduct in the future. So not wanting to roleplay with minors is a protection for both parties. It says nothing about writing quality, maturity, or anything else you may feel has been insulted. Understanding that is part of being mature. So please, do not lie.

Today's gripe is when all my favorite partners disappear at the same time and leave me with too much muse and no outlet D: Come baaaaaack I love all of youuuuu

Age limits are often there to protect the younger roleplayer. When I set an age limit, it's not because I'm looking down upon children, it's because I wish I was protected from particularly dangerous adult roleplayers when I was underage (not to say all adult roleplayers are dangerous, considering I am one now). I'm doing what I wish more adults did to me.

Surely that would have the opposite effect? The “particularly dangerous role players” are not the ones setting age requirements. That means traffic is driven towards them not away from them.

That moment when you remember that the thread is about RP Pet Peeves that weren't meant to be discussed and answered, even though you kinda replied to someone else's comment yourself. (oops)

Surely that would have the opposite effect? The “particularly dangerous role players” are not the ones setting age requirements. That means traffic is driven towards them not away from them.
It’s not even about protecting the younger players -- predator can and will play games to get what they want and age themselves down.

It’s not even about protecting the younger players -- predator can and will play games to get what they want and age themselves down.

The post I replied to specifically and explicitly stated that to them it is about protecting younger players. That is all I was responding to.

Also you can’t control other peoples bad behavior nor control who strangers get to roleplay with.

If kids happen to end up in a partnership with someone abusive the best we can do is remind them that reporting people is anonymous.

And of course if you see a creep tell the staff.

Otherwise your asking us to parent other peoples kids for them. And that a no thanks from me.

Villains who are written in the canon story a way that makes them evil manipulative monsters but reduces to creepy obsessive shells of themselves in rps. Yea they’re monsters but not the creepy, sexual monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back