Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I have so many that feel recently relevant!
  • Folks who h o a r d threads and scenes they don't actually have time, motivation, or inspiration for. I know it happens to the best of us. I know people can lose inspiration suddenly. I'm specifically talking about people who know they don't care about writing with someone/their character, but they ask for a thread anyway. Nothing makes me feel like chopped liver faster in a group.

• People who jump in, see that longtime members of the group are tight and have developed a rapport, and cry about cliques without giving it some time. You can't expect to have the close-knit relationship with the longtime members immediately. It's one thing if they're genuinely excluding you, but in a group setting, people come and go. You need to prove you have "staying power" before people will put forth effort to get to know you.

• Conversely... joining a group in which none of the existing members are willing to write with anyone but the writer involved in their character's ship.

• Joining a group where people snatch ships up immediately - usually before characters have been introduced IC - and if your character's not involved in a ship, you don't get to write.

• When people want to write with me based on the faceclaim I used. This one's so discouraging. I know it's supposed to be complimentary, but I just feel flipped off. None of the development, writing, or characterization matters; just, "hot faceclaim, want to write together?"

• When I'm literally minding my business, writing and having fun, and the adult (over 30) writers in the group cannot go without starting OOC drama-fires.

• When the emotional states of everyone in a group seem to be weirdly entangled.
Specifically for number three is in group roleplays where the GM only pays attention to certain people or a certain plot happening within the roleplay. I know it’s exciting to see how plots unravel but that’s a very easy way to have other role players of your group lose interest in the roleplay. Like, if someone submits a character and you don’t find them interesting and don’t give them anything to do.. Then don’t accept the person into the roleplay. You’re not obligated to accept them just because they showed interest.

At the moment, I loathe when I make plans with my character and someone else's character to ship and it's pretty clear that was my desire and other plans are made without me being notified, it kinda grinds my gears.

Additionally and just in a general sense, if a big decision, no matter how small to you, is made without my knowledge, esp if it pertains to a roleplay that I am a co-gm of and i'm not part of that conversation, that also grinds my gears.

At the moment, I loathe when I make plans with my character and someone else's character to ship and it's pretty clear that was my desire and other plans are made without me being notified, it kinda grinds my gears.

Additionally and just in a general sense, if a big decision, no matter how small to you, is made without my knowledge, esp if it pertains to a roleplay that I am a co-gm of and i'm not part of that conversation, that also grinds my gears.
Honestly, I don't wanna grind people's gears on planning so I get nervous to really make/vocalize plans. I'm just tending to be flexible but will say if I don't like a shipping idea when it gets brought up. I also tend to lean toward no committed canon/oc ships because it grinds my gears when people want me to FORCE myself to make the chemistry work when it's NOT. I'm not gonna butcher a canon character's personality to fit OCS.

Yeah that's also why I don't manage groups because that type of thing happens on choices which leads to drama.

Hoyo.

I'm going to be honest, this statement with its current phrasing concerns me a little bit.

Presuming you contacted the owner of the character in the ship via DM and you both agreed to ship your characters together, but then they don't follow through and instead have their character ship with another character, then I can see your irritation being justified.

However...

If you're not directly communicating and coming to some kind of agreement ahead of time then I'm afraid you have no right getting upset about the ship not working out.

I'm going to be very blunt with you about this: It doesn't matter how how clear you think you're making your intentions either IC or OOC, nobody owes you a successful or mutual ship, nor does anyone owe you any kind of communication about whatever plans they make for their own characters because that's entirely their own business.

Remember, they know their own character better than you ever will. Even if you think what your character is saying/doing IC should be romantically attractive to this other character because it's how you see it working in your own head, their owner may know that the opposite is true and that whatever your character is saying/doing is in fact unattractive and turning their character off. They have no obligation to tell you what's going on in their character's head and can simply let their character's IC dialogue and interactions do the talking for them. And if it turns out that their character naturally becomes romantically attracted to a completely different character, that's also entirely their business.

At present, the implication in your statement is that you feel entitled to the ships you create in your head working out because you want them to, and that you feel entitled to direct communication if and when the other character's owner takes them in a different romantic direction. This is all sounding very toxic, and I highly recommend that you take a step back and re-evaluate how you see ships and romance in roleplays.

A one-sided ship which never sails isn't worth getting upset over. Chalk it up to your characters not being as compatible as you initially thought, and move on.

Cheers!

- GojiBean

when me and my partner plot a promising roleplay and then suddenly, i get a problem and inform them that i'll reply whenever i can, yet still they ghost me after i'm back and say "you ghosted me first."
NO YOU DID??

Every once in a while there's this one person in a group roleplay who borders on breaking the rules and ruins the run for everybody else.

when a person reaches out to me to plot something in the group, & another writer swoops in to remind that person that they still need to plot something together. or worse, that they'd be interested in the plot the person reached out to me about - then they start plotting together before i can even respond.

it happens often enough for me to consider this a whole peeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back