Other Roleplay Pet peeves

There's this new RP with ready-to-play character(s) and enjoyable OOC convo. Sounds great, right? Then IC thread drops with the first post being the very same excerpt from the one in the OOC / interest check thread. No setting up the universe, no prologue, just the same basic premise with zero expansions. So bad to the point of a player daring to ask the GM "Where in-universe should my/our character(s) start from?"

There's this new RP with ready-to-play character(s) and enjoyable OOC convo. Sounds great, right? Then IC thread drops with the first post being the very same excerpt from the one in the OOC / interest check thread. No setting up the universe, no prologue, just the same basic premise with zero expansions. So bad to the point of a player daring to ask the GM "Where in-universe should my/our character(s) start from?"
I've actually witnessed this a few times in groups, myself. They just copy/paste the hook from the req over as the entry post to the RP itself. Kinda off-putting, tbh.

Consistent Romance/No storyline. Where you ship with a love interest and suddenly they entire rp becomes about the couple. Where they don’t do anything else besides dote on one another. It gets old quickly.

If we play love interests, stay focused on the story and balance the characters relationship and the story.

When people chide into an interest check with the comment of "interested!", or "sign me up", or some other minimalistic effort that denotes their appeal to the OP's stated idea. But then it's the last you actually hear of them. Zero effort is given after that to actually complete a CS (much less actually get to an IC post). I see this all the time in Group RP RTs. There will be like six or seven people that are "interested" in the idea. But then the CS thread remains empty. Even when the template to fill out is simple and straightforward. But I guess flakes will be flakes.

P.S. I'm NOT calling out anyone from my last attempted group RP I tried to get running. I appreciate the people who showed interest there.

Even worse is when you have a GM come in and propose an idea, and then they ghost the whole group without warning and leave all the people they gathered wondering what happened. If you didn't really wanna run the RP, then don't put out the RT in the first place.

Last edited:
the thousands of pounds i've spent on different medication and various types of therapy watching the adhd leave my body after someone on the internet says the reason i didn't post in a roleplay was actually because i don't put enough effort in:

tumblr_inline_ooaw881Nrf1s06yd9_500.png

When you are staring at a decent amount of free time ahead of you, and none of the RPs that you have put your interest into are doing anything.

Just wait and see, everything is going to pick up once my work schedule crams my time.

When someone reaches out about starting a roleplay and then ghosts after a few messages.
It's even worse when they ghost after the RP has started, but yes, I feel this.

When people ask for RP but won't offer any ideas for plot, just "give me RP". At least have some kind of idea of what type of plot you're feeling, what character, etc, rather than just making a vague request and expecting your writing partner to come up with ideas.

making an original character shipped with a fandom character. I absolutely hate it so much cannot stand it

[also for undertale fans, I hate Frans, it's disgusting :D]

These peeves and experiences came from my time RPing in MMORPGs, but I'm sure they can apply to Forum RP too.

-People joining the RP community with a specified setting, but not wanting to engage in that setting or get upset or offended when other people actually RP the setting.

MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and the short-lived WildStar (I RPed a lot in WS) have two warring factions made up of different races. These games contain war, genocide, racism, and such.

I've had my PCs use derogatory terms for other races in RP ("Knife-ears" for elves, for example), and I have received whispers from other RPers telling me not to use those terms because they don't like racism in their game or they're trying to create a "safe space" for RP... even though they're in the open and public game world instead of somewhere private such as their PC's house. Once a person actually told me that I wouldn't like it if I was called "knife-ears" because I played an elf. I can't believe I have to say this, but I am NOT an elf! Elves aren't real!

When I joined WildStar, I made an Aurin. The story of the Aurin race is that they are survivors of attempted genocide after the enemy faction invaded their home planet to harvest its natural resources. I looked forward to space adventures and warring with the other faction, and avenging "my" people. The vast majority of RPers in WS wanted to RP being super peaceful, holding hands and singing Kumbaya, while going on about how war is bad and that they should forgive and befriend their enemies. Oh, and people like me with PCs like mine are bad people who are the reason wars happen both IC and in RL. Now, I'm all about letting people RP what they want, but it was incredibly frustrating for me, as someone who wanted to RP in the war-torn setting, to have no one to engage that kind of RP with me.

I've RPed in games that used cartoon logic, and have had RPers get upset with me because I used cartoon logic in my RP, for laughs, instead of being SUPER GRITTY REALISTIC AND SERIOUS!

Just.. Y'all willingly joined a game world that has cartoon logic, or dark material such as war and genocide, and you're upset that people want to RP being in a setting with cartoon logic, or war and genocide! Just go play another game!

-"Which Faction is More Evil" debates ICly.

I hate it when it's OOC and I hate it when it's IC. When the debate is done ICly, it always drags on and on, because people's OOC feelings are leaking into IC, and everyone wants to give their two cents on why the opposing faction is worse and their faction is the morally superior one. These debates go nowhere, drags the RP down, and it's incredibly annoying. This leads to my next peeve:

-OOC feelings leaking into IC

Ever get that feeling someone's projecting their own RL feelings, opinions, and politics into RP by disguising it as IC? I have, and over time I could sense the person on the other side becoming more upset and hostile because my PC's feelings and opinions don't match theirs. It starts to feel like a debate between me and the other person rather than be two characters discussing things. I mean, it could very well just be IC, but you get that gut feeling, y'know?

In a different example, someone tried to "correct" my RP by using their PC to ICly tell me that what I'm doing is wrong even though the PC, lore-wise, wouldn't know the very specific details behind the faction my PC was a part of. I also wasn't breaking lore.

-Spreading terrible rumors about other players, or harassing or threatening other players

So this is a given, I know, and this is an issue too serious to be a mere peeve, but I want to bring it up anyway. So many times during my time RPing in MMOs, I've seen good people and great RPers suddenly gain bad reputations such as being "toxic" or an "istaphobe," and typically the reason for gaining such reputations is because they had the NERVE to RP the way someone else doesn't like!

This was pretty bad in the WildStar RP community and a big reason I don't particularly miss it. The worst I can recall was someone receiving threats for wanting to RP a male clan leader of a race that is, lore-wise, a matriarchal society. People accused them of trying to "erase" female representation by wanting to do such a thing, which is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. One playable race has only one model because the sexual dimorphism is so miniscule that other races cannot immediately tell the sex of an individual of that species, and as a society they don't have set gender roles. It's actually a topic of humor in the game. Someone wanted to RP a member of that race that enjoys traditionally feminine clothing, make-up, and hairstyles, and referred to that character as a she, and they got a bunch of crap over being "transphobic" and other bullshit. Good freaking grief!

At the end of the day, we're playing Virtual Barbie Doll. A lot of people forget that! If there's one good thing that came out of it, it's motivated me to take a more neutral outlook toward other RPers and not take any accusations or bad reps at face value. I find it's generally best to avoid getting too personal with folks. Unless there is very good reason I shouldn't, I will generally give everyone a chance in RP despite reputations because, in my experience, the vast majority of bad reps in the RP community are total crap. Funny thing: I've been accused of fostering toxicity in the community for this mindset!

Last edited:
These peeves and experiences came from my time RPing in MMORPGs, but I'm sure they can apply to Forum RP too.

-People joining the RP community with a specified setting, but not wanting to engage in that setting or get upset or offended when other people actually RP the setting.

MMORPGs like World of Warcraft and the short-lived WildStar (I RPed a lot in WS) have two warring factions made up of different races. These games contain war, genocide, racism, and such.

I've had my PCs use derogatory terms for other races in RP ("Knife-ears" for elves, for example), and I have received whispers from other RPers telling me not to use those terms because they don't like racism in their game or they're trying to create a "safe space" for RP... even though they're in the open and public game world instead of somewhere private such as their PC's house. Once a person actually told me that I wouldn't like it if I was called "knife-ears" because I played an elf. I can't believe I have to say this, but I am NOT an elf! Elves aren't real!

When I joined WildStar, I made an Aurin. The story of the Aurin race is that they are survivors of attempted genocide after the enemy faction invaded their home planet to harvest its natural resources. I looked forward to space adventures and warring with the other faction, and avenging "my" people. The vast majority of RPers in WS wanted to RP being super peaceful, holding hands and singing Kumbaya, while going on about how war is bad and that they should forgive and befriend their enemies. Oh, and people like me with PCs like mine are bad people who are the reason wars happen both IC and in RL. Now, I'm all about letting people RP what they want, but it was incredibly frustrating for me, as someone who wanted to RP in the war-torn setting, to have no one to engage that kind of RP with me.

I've RPed in games that used cartoon logic, and have had RPers get upset with me because I used cartoon logic in my RP, for laughs, instead of being SUPER GRITTY REALISTIC AND SERIOUS!

Just.. Y'all willingly joined a game world that has cartoon logic, or dark material such as war and genocide, and you're upset that people want to RP being in a setting with cartoon logic, or war and genocide! Just go play another game!

-"Which Faction is More Evil" debates ICly.

I hate it when it's OOC and I hate it when it's IC. When the debate is done ICly, it always drags on and on, because people's OOC feelings are leaking into IC, and everyone wants to give their two cents on why the opposing faction is worse and their faction is the morally superior one. These debates go nowhere, drags the RP down, and it's incredibly annoying. This leads to my next peeve:

-OOC feelings leaking into IC

Ever get that feeling someone's projecting their own RL feelings, opinions, and politics into RP by disguising it as IC? I have, and over time I could sense the person on the other side becoming more upset and hostile because my PC's feelings and opinions don't match theirs. I mean, it could very well just be IC, but you get that gut feeling, y'know?

Once, someone tried to "correct" my RP by using their PC to ICly tell me that what I'm doing is wrong even though the PC, lore-wise, wouldn't know the very specific details behind the faction my PC was a part of. I also wasn't breaking lore.

-Spreading terrible rumors about other players, or harassing or threatening other players

So this is a given, I know, and this is an issue too serious to be a mere peeve, but I want to bring it up anyway. So many times during my time RPing in MMOs, I've seen good people and great RPers suddenly gain bad reputations such as being "toxic" or an "istaphobe," and typically the reason for gaining such reputations is because they had the NERVE to RP the way someone else doesn't like!

This was pretty bad in the WildStar RP community and a big reason I don't particularly miss it. The worst I can recall was someone receiving threats for wanting to RP a male clan leader of a race that is, lore-wise, a matriarchal society. People actually accused them of trying to "erase" female representation by wanting to do such a thing, which is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. One playable race has only one model because the sexual dimorphism is so miniscule that other races cannot immediately tell the sex of an individual of that species, and as a society they don't have set gender roles. It's actually a topic of humor in the game. Someone wanted to RP a member of that race that enjoys traditionally feminine clothing, make-up, and hairstyles, and referred to that character as a she, and they got a bunch of crap over being "transphobic" and other bullshit. Good freaking grief!

At the end of the day, we're playing Virtual Barbie Doll. A lot of people forget that! If there's one good thing that came out of it, it's motivated me to take a more neutral outlook toward other RPers and not take any accusations or bad reps at face value. I find it's generally best to avoid getting too personal with folks. Unless there is very good reason I shouldn't, I will generally give everyone a chance in RP despite reputations because, in my experience, the vast majority of bad reps in the RP community are total crap. Funny thing: I've actually been accused of fostering toxicity in the community for this mindset!
First one is spot on. If people don't want sensitive themes in their RP's then they should be thinking long and hard about whether they want to join RP's with those themes. This applies to 1x1's as well.

...Once a person actually told me that I wouldn't like it if I was called "knife-ears" because I played an elf. I can't believe I have to say this, but I am NOT an elf! Elves aren't real!
I almost spit my drink out my nose when I read over this. OMFG

And just like I said, I didn't get a damn thing done with anything RP related today (my day off). Not for lack of trying/waiting around. Can you believe it? I'm on 4 active sites right now (not including the dead Discord stuff) and absolutely nothing happened today. Not ICly, not OOCCly. Nuthin'
When you are staring at a decent amount of free time ahead of you, and none of the RPs that you have put your interest into are doing anything.

Just wait and see, everything is going to pick up once my work schedule crams my time.

Last edited:
Crawling out of my coma to say

1. Ghosting after an introduction. Especially when you reached out to me. Where did you go? What happened?
2. If my schedule doesn't work for you, we actually don't have to rp. I will not conform to you needing 3 posts a day. It won't happen. I am to ill for that.
3. STOP USE SMALL FONT AND BLINDING COLOR I AM BEGGING YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

When you see an RT that you really like, so you get in there and communicate as much to the OP. Then quickly make your CS and get approved. But then it seems like no one else is hopping aboard. Shit... and here I was feeling like it was just my ideas that weren't getting any attention. Seems like other people that have some interesting notions for an RP setting are in the same boat. I'm beginning to feel like if the RT isn't about the same 10 tired topics for an RP, then it just isn't well-received by the community or something. lmao

Why am I checking the recruitment forum like a damn refrigerator? 😩

Actual pet peeve is when you're in a group RP but two players overtake the thread to RP their characters falling in love or whatever.

Here's some I forgot to add to my list of MMORPG RP peeves:

-RPing a character of a small race, such as a Gnome in WoW or a Lalafell in FFXIV, and my character is not taken seriously

I'm talking scenarios like this:

"My Gnome Monk unleashes a Flurry of Blows upon the bandit!"

"The Gnome's puny little fists were but light taps upon the human's body. He laughed scornfully."

Or other RPers telling me because I'm playing a small race, I can't do any crazy anime stunts like the other PCs even though this is a fantasy world where crazy anime stunts happen all the time! Even though the game models allow me to be a small race carrying a big-ass Cloud Strife sword, and game mechanics let me do all kinds of over-the-top anime shit, I'm not actually allowed to use it in RP because small!

-Huge walls of RP text

Big descriptive posts are nice and all, but not when we're in the open game world and the chat scroll is going 100mph!

Last edited:
Using another canon as a mouth piece just to say how their oc is meant to be with the fan favorite.

When you see an RT that you really like, so you get in there and communicate as much to the OP. Then quickly make your CS and get approved. But then it seems like no one else is hopping aboard. Shit... and here I was feeling like it was just my ideas that weren't getting any attention. Seems like other people that have some interesting notions for an RP setting are in the same boat. I'm beginning to feel like if the RT isn't about the same 10 tired topics for an RP, then it just isn't well-received by the community or something. lmao
Is it supposed to be a group RP or something? Just wondering because such a case can be turned into a 1x1 where I mostly do RPs in. That is, if both parties so desire.

Why am I checking the recruitment forum like a damn refrigerator? 😩

Actual pet peeve is when you're in a group RP but two players overtake the thread to RP their characters falling in love or whatever.
Dooooood, I fucking HATE that! Like no one posts, no one posts, no one posts, No one is posting for days and then BOOM, two people go at it and hijack the entire RP with their two characters posting a page's worth of interaction and even sometimes change the scene/time of day, etc.

OR when you are just out for like a day and the group takes off on a whole side mission and leaves you wondering wtf happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back