Roleplay Pet Peeves

People make an rp, then the gm has nothing to do with it or splits and offers no explanation why. Same with co-gms.

Gm has all these characters but then ignores their other characters in favor of only one, then complains when it’s quiet and people drop out. How are people supposed to rp if the gm is ignoring everyone but this sole character?

Personally: Putting a lot of time into characters and then being told they need to be changed or too op. I just dropped out of a circus rp because of that. I hate having to change my characters when I put a lot of effort into them.

Being harassed for something that happened months ago in another rp. This is why I don’t rp with that person.

Hesitating on my character being accepted or, even saying my character cannot be the son/daughter of someone but then turning around and letting others have characters of an important someone. That happened to me, with the same co-gm who left before and in the scenario about going an exact copy of my rp where she focused only on one character. I had it that a werewolf character was the only heir to two opposing alpha’s that lived in the area decades ago and the chosen heir of a third. I was told I couldn’t be the son of ANY alpha. But then the gm let in two other characters that were allowed to be the children of alpha’s and betas. Likely because of what I did to their characters in my rp when they wren’t Active anymore. I avoid rps with that person as well.

Now that sounds like an awesome idea to be honest. Nothing that's way out there. I can't remember the last time I did a SciFi roleplay dealing with space because of that reason, people wanting to blow it up to something bigger than it was intended to be.
Oh aye, it was a really interesting venture for me. Sadly, the Rp fell apart as too many people disappeared or simply weren't interested anymore but didn't bother to let me know :( I think one of the major problems was that a number of people involved simply were there to have their hands held in every situation. For example, I gave our two security dudes a job to preform an inspection of a nearby transporter. I had explained prior in the OOC that I would really appreciate it if people would create their own scenarios as I am just one person trying to manage an entire RP and I can't baby-sit everyone's interactions with NPCs. So rather than these two working together and coming up with a cool story about what they'll find on the ship. Maybe some hidden drugs under the pilot's seat, perhaps a gang of criminals waiting to ambush them as they came aboard? Nah, I just got the usual:

"He opened the airlock and went inside to see what was on board."

That was it.

No interactions.

No NPCs.

Just waiting for me to write up several paragraphs about what the condition of the ship was, the crew, anything that is said to them, anything that happens to them whilst they're onboard. Obviously I didn't have the spare time to construct an entire backstory for this ship, in all it's wonderful details. I sent over a quick PM, telling the two to come up with what happens, themselves.

Now, some people might be a little critical of me, saying that i'm a bad-GM for not looking for Co-GMs to manage things but it's my personal preferance to manage things myself as I don't perticuarly trust anyone to run things properly :P (It's one of those cases where I leave it in the hands of some-one else, I turn away for two seconds and now the Station is on a terminal course to strike Earth).

Reeeee

I completely understand that some folk are not as creative or have the initiative to create their own situations but I ain't got time to carry you all to victory :P

Sometimes J'm worried that I'll do something the gm will be upset at. Which is why I never create npcs unless I'm told it's okay. I don't like making people upset.

(It's one of those cases where I leave it in the hands of some-one else, I turn away for two seconds and now the Station is on a terminal course to strike Earth).
Not to be that guy, but wouldn't this same thing be equally likely to happen if you let everyone come up with their own scenarios?

Sometimes J'm worried that I'll do something the gm will be upset at. Which is why I never create npcs unless I'm told it's okay. I don't like making people upset.

Also replying to Sprite Pepsi Sprite Pepsi

I completely get that. Sometimes i've had to yell at someone for 'spawning in' a stupid amount of baddies in a gun-fight or when one character kills a guards and another writes:

"Then another guard turns the corner but I take him out."

Not to be out-done, the next person writes:

And so on :P Everyone wants to be the badass/hero or just doesn't want the fire-fight to end :D (Don't blame them, fights are quite fun!... The RP fights.. not the real ones..)

Overall, i'd suggest that GMs add a rule which basically states that i'm happy for characters to add in NPCs as long as it's not silly or makes no sense. People have an incredible amount of good ideas floating around and I really do wish they'd put them down in their posts. If you're not sure about a idea, just give the GM a quick PM or speak about it in the OOC. I'd rather have a interesting situation play out than having to come up with literally everything myself :P

Last edited:
Oh aye, it was a really interesting venture for me. Sadly, the Rp fell apart as too many people disappeared or simply weren't interested anymore but didn't bother to let me know :( I think one of the major problems was that a number of people involved simply were there to have their hands held in every situation. For example, I gave our two security dudes a job to preform an inspection of a nearby transporter. I had explained prior in the OOC that I would really appreciate it if people would create their own scenarios as I am just one person trying to manage an entire RP and I can't baby-sit everyone's interactions with NPCs. So rather than these two working together and coming up with a cool story about what they'll find on the ship. Maybe some hidden drugs under the pilot's seat, perhaps a gang of criminals waiting to ambush them as they came aboard? Nah, I just got the usual:

"He opened the airlock and went inside to see what was on board."

That was it.

No interactions.

No NPCs.

Just waiting for me to write up several paragraphs about what the condition of the ship was, the crew, anything that is said to them, anything that happens to them whilst they're onboard. Obviously I didn't have the spare time to construct an entire backstory for this ship, in all it's wonderful details. I sent over a quick PM, telling the two to come up with what happens, themselves.

Now, some people might be a little critical of me, saying that i'm a bad-GM for not looking for Co-GMs to manage things but it's my personal preferance to manage things myself as I don't perticuarly trust anyone to run things properly :P (It's one of those cases where I leave it in the hands of some-one else, I turn away for two seconds and now the Station is on a terminal course to strike Earth).

Reeeee

I completely understand that some folk are not as creative or have the initiative to create their own situations but I ain't got time to carry you all to victory :P
I totally get that, I respect you for that and I see nothing wrong with it. I've heard horror stories about group roleplays that have gone to hell because given control people want to do what they want in spite of what the creator wants.
I'm sorry it fell through.

I totally get that, I respect you for that and I see nothing wrong with it. I've heard horror stories about group roleplays that have gone to hell because given control people want to do what they want in spite of what the creator wants.
I'm sorry it fell through.
I appreciate the sympathies <3 , who knows? I might kick start it again in the future! :D I mean no disrespect to anyone on this site but I only trust myself to do it right and none of you are me :P I do recall a couple of horror stories as well when a Co-GM butters up the main GM into allowing them to get away with anything and that honestly makes my blood boil. I am man of equal opportunity, I try my best to ensure everyone is included and feel that their inputs are valued. I've never tried to out do myself in posts and this kinda brings me onto another Pet Peeve of mine.

I really hate it when people decide that another character is weak because they've allowed themselves to take some sort of damage/injury. We all know that classical rule of "No overpowered/god" characters and for the most part, i've noticed that rule being completely ignored when it comes to characters taking hits and generally getting hurt. To this day, i'm a bit salty about a certain RP that really got under my skin.

So picture the scene:

It's a generic medieval RP where the characters have just taken over a castle to set up as their base of operations. During the starting post, I wrote that during the siege that my character was hit by a crossbow but managed to finish off the shooter before eventually collapsing due to the shock and various other reasons.

Now, rather than my co-characters rallying to look after one of their own. They decided to jump on the band-wagon and write up about "How weak he is for falling after one hit." One after another, they commented and smirked at my injured soldier.

Sadly, this is a common occurance sometimes and it drives me mad. When people make arse-hole characters who mock even the slightest attempt to be reasonable in a certain situation. It's like you have two choices, go through a gun-fight completely unharmed and be yelled at for being overpowered or take a hit or two and have to put up with everyone making remarks about "He's probably the weakest of the group and unprofessional for getting hit. What a novice, why did we even bring him along in the first place? We should dock his pay until he toughens up like the rest of us and stops being a wuss, it's only a gun-shot wound.. Jeez, I'm going to bully him for the next seven posts about how he's at the bottom of the group for trying to be a bit more realistic."

-_-

I wish that people in RPs that contain any sort of fighting would occasionally have their character take a hit, nothing serious and I think it would be better if other characters were made to be a bit more understanding when it comes to failure. It's not in the least enjoyable to read through someone's post about them thinking your character is dirt for not being perfectly intact after a two-hour long fight :(

Becker Becker I can relate to your example of someone giving into injury so much. Also relates to one peeve I have about how people can be on the literal verge of collapse, be it from injury or exhaustion, then suddenly do the Iron Man like it's nothing. No magic, no weird supernatural quirk, no rhyme or reason. They just go from "I'm about to die" to "I just carried this fight/situation more than I carry my team in a competitive match".

Maybe this is just me being petty again but it annoys me when people just put "No overpowered characters" as a rule without bothering to go into detail and explain what exactly they mean by it.

*virtual cuddle*
Sending a virtual hug your way!

Thank you very much, folks! :D I slept wonderfully last night, surrounded by virtual cuddles <3 ;)

Becker Becker I can relate to your example of someone giving into injury so much. Also relates to one peeve I have about how people can be on the literal verge of collapse, be it from injury or exhaustion, then suddenly do the Iron Man like it's nothing. No magic, no weird supernatural quirk, no rhyme or reason. They just go from "I'm about to die" to "I just carried this fight/situation more than I carry my team in a competitive match".

Oh yes, I know that logic. I honestly think that a good GM can 'separate the wheat from the chaff' when it comes to dealing with certain people who just want to be the biggest badass (regardless of any rules) and those that just might need a sitting down with and explaining what is reasonable in a certain situation and what isn't.

I have come across a certain way of doing the impossible but still having some reality to it. I did once write that my character's subconscious reaction to extreme danger saved his life at one point. So he was about to be crushed by a falling tree during a storm, a serious adrenaline rush pulsed through his body as he instinctively 'went to 100' and sprinted at great speed and beyond what was normally possible for him before collapsing as his body could not take the strain of this sudden change of physique to survive.

For people who have been in a life or death situations would understand that sudden disconnect from your normal physical limitations but as with any kind of exertion, it can have some long lasting consequences like ripped tendons or pulled muscles for example.

Maybe this is just me being petty again but it annoys me when people just put "No overpowered characters" as a rule without bothering to go into detail and explain what exactly they mean by it.

I can understand that, sometimes a certain rule would need more explaination and a critical one like no overpowered characters may sometimes need that little more info added. That said, alot of the time, people are trusting others to have the common sense as to what's reasonable and what is 'silly/overpowered'. If you're not sure about something, always contact the GM and explain your ideas/concerns thoroughly to leave no confusing gaps of information. This could be your exact question here or could be anything related to the RP itself.

GMs don't always have the spare time to police their RPs for any instances that appear un-fair or discourteous towards other members of the RP. Therefore, they're looking for people to police themselves in knowing what is, again, reasonable or not. I can't make a list of what you're not allowed to do because i'd honestly be writting that list til' the end of time.

Plus, it isn't as inviting to a RP if you're greeted with a wall of text saying: "You can't do this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this" etc.. etc..

I don't like to hand out heavy rule lists, I tend to go over the majority of the basics as best I can but overall I am trusting the people that i've allowed to join to moderate themselves.

Oh yes, I know that logic. I honestly think that a good GM can 'separate the wheat from the chaff' when it comes to dealing with certain people who just want to be the biggest badass (regardless of any rules) and those that just might need a sitting down with and explaining what is reasonable in a certain situation and what isn't.

I have come across a certain way of doing the impossible but still having some reality to it. I did once write that my character's subconscious reaction to extreme danger saved his life at one point. So he was about to be crushed by a falling tree during a storm, a serious adrenaline rush pulsed through his body as he instinctively 'went to 100' and sprinted at great speed and beyond what was normally possible for him before collapsing as his body could not take the strain of this extreme amount of this sudden change of physique to survive.

For people who have been in a life or death situations would understand that sudden disconnect from your normal physical limitations but as with any kind of exertion, it can have some long lasting consequences like ripped tendons or pulled muscles for example.

The situation you described does not seem to be a case of the character being invincible/ignoring injury. You reacted to a life and death situation that only applied to yourself, and sudden bursts of adrenaline can have that kind of short term effect. And as you said yourself, it took its toll right afterward.

Now, if your character had jumped up, carried at least one more player plus their three-legged dog out of the danger zone without even messing up the dog's ribbon - that would have been a stretch.

I can understand that, sometimes a certain rule would need more explaination and a critical one like no overpowered characters may sometimes need that little more info added. That said, alot of the time, people are trusting others to have the common sense as to what's reasonable and what is 'silly/overpowered'. If you're not sure about something, always contact the GM and explain your ideas/concerns thoroughly to leave no confusing gaps of information. This could be your exact question here or could be anything related to the RP itself.

I personally would always prefer to ask / having someone come to me with their questions if they are not sure about something. Because usually, the people who ask are those who have put thought and effort in already and want to make sure that they are staying within the realms of the possible in the RP.
The situations I find harder to solve when a player comes very attaches to a concept/an idea and is really set on going through with it, despite it not being appropriate or possible in the RP due to the setting or the world.

It's never fun to tell someone they can't play their character the way they want to, but if you bring a high powered exo-skeleton into my age of exploration RP, I will need to have some words with you.

That said, alot of the time, people are trusting others to have the common sense as to what's reasonable and what is 'silly/overpowered'.
But that's sort of my issue with it. Overpowered is such a subjective term that pretty much everyone is going to have a different opinion of what it means.

Plus, it isn't as inviting to a RP if you're greeted with a wall of text saying: "You can't do this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this" etc.. etc..
But that's far from the only alternative. I just want some kind of indication of what the GM thinks overpowered means.

But that's sort of my issue with it. Overpowered is such a subjective term that pretty much everyone is going to have a different opinion of what it means.
You've pretty much nailed it on the head. That's always been a issue with RPs and since everyone is different, there will always be a difference in opinion as to what's over-powered and what isn't. It's a problem that can't really be sorted by a GM writing out exactly what they think is overpowered because the list would be endless. Ever GM is different so one may let things fly and another will keep things as grounded as possible. If they haven't explained it in any of the rule section(s) then just give them a PM to get their viewpoint on any of your ideas. Classics are usually, the more logical types of restrictions. Like your character can't carry x amount of weapons, gear or supplies because it would either make them completely fine in any situation which may remove any threat in dire circumstances.

I think the biggest one for that is in 'Survival' RPs where items are limited but someone makes a character who has a gun with almost endless ammuntion, and knows how to make more, and has a map of where he can find more ammo, and knows several NPCs who would supply him with more ammo without any questions asked, and he knows the military because he's a General Sergeant Main Character First Person Shooter Master Chief 2nd Class, so naturally he can survive any situation with nothing more than his AR-15, a backpack the size of Africa and enough strength to carry it all and still be able to pull off some ninja levels of parkour.

Sounds over the top but honestly, i've come across a number of these characters in survival RPs and it just bombs my interest.

When everyone is writing beautiful and well written posts and someone comes in with one line like "And John decided to eat a sandwich." But the GM doesn't do anything about it.

When everyone is writing beautiful and well written posts and someone comes in with one line like "And John decided to eat a sandwich." But the GM doesn't do anything about it.
Bruh.. 😤

My big problem is it's not my rp and I don't want to say anything cause I don't want to be rude but it bothers me and I really like this rp.
Aye, a huge part of any RP is the communication. If you don't make the GM aware of any issues then they can't tend to them. It's not rude, it's not arrogant, it's not sly or anything negative. It's very helpful to a GM when they get messages so they can build up a understanding of other people's perspectives on something that perhaps they themselves did not see anything wrong with. But now that there is some problems then they can assess what they can do. Imagine the GM is the fire-control on a ship, if you don't tell them where the embers are then they won't find out about any trouble until the ship's a burning blaze :P

Imma give itna post or two. They've only made one post so far (and their bio says they're twelve so maybe I can cut them some slack) so this could be a small blip.

(๑′°︿°๑) Mine is probably not as important but it irks me when a user lies about "playing too many/all males" so that they can play the female role. I'll go through and check and they're writing as only females on every public RP they have. You didn't need to lie. I would have written as a male, regardless. Lol? Can anyone relate or am I a brat? It really bothers me.

(๑′°︿°๑) Mine is probably not as important but it irks me when a user lies about "playing too many/all males" so that they can play the female role. I'll go through and check and they're writing as only females on every public RP they have. You didn't need to lie. I would have written as a male, regardless. Lol? Can anyone relate or am I a brat? It really bothers me.
On one hand, some people might mainly roleplay thru PM, but on the other, that doesn't really sound out of character for most of the people I've seen claiming that.

No, I totally understand that and take it into consideration but there is definitely just a population of users that lie about it. Not super important but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back