Roleplay Pet Peeves

man dot nt get me started on rp hangups that can be a subject of my next YouTube vidio

1 i am male i cant play female yes i can i am not gay i just have a strung feminine side

2 sex mongers i prefer to wear skirts every so often so i come home to my room to Change i dong want you ripping my skirt off and throwing me on the bed

3 people that thank i am a pedophile for playing a kid no i like the innocence i mean full family mommy and daddy and no sex

4 people that expect me to write a book i am kind of new

5. grammar kings i am learning disable i will make mistakes

6 people that expect sex all the time heck i like dancing and to be treatedlike a housewife not a sextoy

7 people that give me nothing to work with i.e i take your skirt off take your panties off with my teeth ok spicy but what next

8. rudeness treat me like a lady

9 people that just get up and leave tell me why i am ok with it

10 people that know i make mistakes gives my no chance to better myself before they get tired of me

11 role plays i never herd of

So do you mean people who do erotic content?

Because that isn’t allowed on this site anyway. You have to fade to black when clothes come off.

So you can write - X and Y had sex OR X and Y kiss and remove their clothes.

But you can’t say X removes Y’s underwear with their teeth. At least I’m pretty sure that would count as being too explicit.

man dot nt get me started on rp hangups that can be a subject of my next YouTube vidio

1 i am male i cant play female yes i can i am not gay i just have a strung feminine side

2 sex mongers i prefer to wear skirts every so often so i come home to my room to Change i dong want you ripping my skirt off and throwing me on the bed

3 people that thank i am a pedophile for playing a kid no i like the innocence i mean full family mommy and daddy and no sex

4 people that expect me to write a book i am kind of new

5. grammar kings i am learning disable i will make mistakes

6 people that expect sex all the time heck i like dancing and to be treatedlike a housewife not a sextoy

7 people that give me nothing to work with i.e i take your skirt off take your panties off with my teeth ok spicy but what next

8. rudeness treat me like a lady

9 people that just get up and leave tell me why i am ok with it

10 people that know i make mistakes gives my no chance to better myself before they get tired of me

11 role plays i never herd of
I realize you just complained about people who are grammar nazis but I actually can't read this. Like, at all. Aside from a few snippets (the grammar nazi thing, for example) I'm really confused.

Yeah, I love when people do unexpected things with their characters buuuuut.. I've seen people make characters that are 100% not suited to the actual roleplay at all. Sometimes they're not necessarily breaking rules or they're in a grey area so the GM accepts them and you're like hmmmm

Yeah, I love when people do unexpected things with their characters buuuuut.. I've seen people make characters that are 100% not suited to the actual roleplay at all. Sometimes they're not necessarily breaking rules or they're in a grey area so the GM accepts them and you're like hmmmm
I really hate it when a GM accepts a character in a "gray area" and they end up being like the worst RPer ever.
Had some bad group experiences with that in the past (I even had that problem with myself as a GM...) and I lost interest in group RPs a while ago partly because of that.
It can also be a pain in 1x1s. Like you think you've found a good RP partner, but there's a hint of doubt within you, and that RP partner turns out to be a huge pain...

"Yeah, I consider myself to be a literate partner. Most posts are at least three paragraphs and I'm a pretty diverse writer!"

Reply #52: This is literally the stuff they sent me. This is what every reply sounded like. Each sentence was just like this. There were no commas or other breaks. Then they would cut each reply short to about this length. And then they got mad when I said I was going to drop them.

To be fair, I had warned them at least three times.

When people list shit like "people being nice" or "being bullied" among their characters' likes and dislikes. I mean, if you're gonna bother including such things in the CS in the first place, at least put some effort into it.

When people list shit like "people being nice" or "being bullied" among their characters' likes and dislikes. I mean, if you're gonna bother including such things in the CS in the first place, at least put some effort into it.

Exactly at least be a little creative.

Likes - People being selfish pricks, character sees it as a sign of dominance.

Dislikes - False shows of compassion to showcase social superiority

Exactly at least be a little creative.

Likes - People being selfish pricks, character sees it as a sign of dominance.

Dislikes - False shows of compassion to showcase social superiority
That sounds like the most annoying character ever.
In all fairness, the one time I did that my character actually had a history of being abused (yes I know it's cliche blah blah blah). In other fairness, her other dislike was people insulting her ribbon and suggetsing she's scared of needles so it evens out.

That sounds like the most annoying character ever.

In all fairness, the one time I did that my character actually had a history of being abused (yes I know it's cliche blah blah blah). In other fairness, her other dislike was people insulting her ribbon and suggetsing she's scared of needles so it evens out.

That's the point. Saying your character values kindness and dislikes bullying is like saying they value human rights and dislike racism. It's kind of something you have to say if you want to have a place in polite society. Plus bullying and kindness are subjective. What one person views as kindness another person could view as selfish self-aggrandizement. What one person views as bullying another person could view as character building.

It's a bit like saying "My character is beautiful." Beauty is subjective and isn't going to mean the same thing to all people. Nor is it going to be perceived in the same way by different characters.

So that's why Pepsi said be a little more creative and put some actual effort into the description. In the case of your character if they were abused chances are the kind of bullying they don't like would be stuff that triggered memories of their personal abuse. So rather than saying "They don't like bullies" say "they don't like people who behave like X because it reminds them of Y trauma."

If you want to say your character values kindness than give them concrete actions they look for. "Character X likes it when people show kindness to puppies". Or whatever. It's a little cliche but it will at least be a bit more personalized than basically saying "My character follows basic social norms for acceptable behavior."

Well I've always viewed the dislike section as less "pet peeves the character has" and more "these are things that the character takes super personally"

Which may be why I renamed it to Beserk Button on my most recent character sheet (and left out a likes section. Liking things is Lame. Gotta be edgy.)

Yeah, I never understood why people would list things like that myself. Like, I flat out assume a character acts in a way and has beliefs which are generally accepted by society unless told otherwise. Like, a character liking kindness is not news or anything. Now if that was a dislike then things get a lot more interesting. "She literally loathes kindness. She hates it. She actively attempts to stop all acts of kindness." Now that is noteworthy.

I have a few here.

-When your RP partner tells you what your character is doing/feeling. Nah, wait for my response otherwise just go write a plot by yourself!
-RP partners who message constantly when you haven't replied right away. I mean, we all have lives. I'm sorry I haven't replied in the 30 seconds since you messaged me.
-Jumpy plots that don't make any sense and you're constantly lost in the plot
-Group RPs where someone randomly inserts themselves into a situation they wouldn't have been in anyways

Over-the-top or uninspired epithets. I know it's convenient to distinguish people by their hair color but it always makes me wince when I read it. I'd say 90% of the time, it's perfectly fine to use the character's name. Or, you know, reference their occupation. I'd much prefer seeing "the student did x, the student did y" over and over again than "the bluenette".

Over-the-top or uninspired epithets. I know it's convenient to distinguish people by their hair color but it always makes me wince when I read it. I'd say 90% of the time, it's perfectly fine to use the character's name. Or, you know, reference their occupation. I'd much prefer seeing "the student did x, the student did y" over and over again than "the bluenette".
Blunette? Is that a thing?

It's a group rp and he stopped when I told him too so I can't do that without looking like an asshole, even if it is my rp.

Yeah, I can't stand that.

Especially when it's something like;

I could see the fear in his eyes, and I smirked in triumph.

(excuse the shitty example) And it's something that my character would never do. No, my character would never be afraid of you, and even then why would you assume that my character would be x or y without me outright saying so? That's just putting words into other people's mouths.

I agree with that. I usually feel... Weirded out when I see characters consistently referred to by their physical appearance when the reader should already know their name. Like, I can take epithets when they are more special to the person. Like Andrej Sawpowski (I hope I am spelling that right) would call Geralt "The Witcher" when referring to him in the books every now and again. Or Stephen King would refer to Roland Deschain as "The Gunslinger" every now and again in the Dark Tower series.

It really depends on the epithet, but something like physical appearance, whether it be skin color, hair color, or eye color always rubs me the wrong way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back