Roleplay Pet Peeves

Mor of a writing in general pet peeve and even then not a big one but when someone uses a character's species/race in place of man/woman/person in a sentence so "Every man for himself" becomes "every Elf for himself" and "...as much as the next person" becomes "...as much as the next Elf."

It makes no sense to me. Do we say "...As much as the next human?" No. So why do you say Elf instead of person.

I can live with it though.

Mor of a writing in general pet peeve and even then not a big one but when someone uses a character's species/race in place of man/woman/person in a sentence so "Every man for himself" becomes "every Elf for himself" and "...as much as the next person" becomes "...as much as the next Elf."

It makes no sense to me. Do we say "...As much as the next human?" No. So why do you say Elf instead of person.

I can live with it though.
I'm sure there's a Dwarf stood around somewhere, scratching his head as the impending doom is approaching.

"What about me!?" :P

This might be on the slightly more nitpicky side of things but it annoys me to no end when people use faceclaim images that don't fit their characters.

I think I've found a new pet peeve after browsing through the interest check section; people listing sub genres that are barely relevant to the plot. For example, way too many people list "LGBTQ" as sub genre just because you're allowed to play a gay character.

I think I've found a new pet peeve after browsing through the interest check section; people listing sub genres that are barely relevant to the plot. For example, way too many people list "LGBTQ" as sub genre just because you're allowed to play a gay character.
Don't see anything wrong with that.

Sort of related I have a HUGE pet peeves when it comes to lgbt+ characters, and that's being to upfront about it. And yes, I realize that's probably not a good way to put it but I couldn't think of a better way.

For an example, I'll use a friend who I really don't want to throw under the bus but this is way to big of a peeve to not use her as an example.

So my friend had this character who was gender fluid and... ugh. Just... ugh. The way she introduced her character to the other characters was by having them cheerily and cringely saying their name (which was actually two very similar names just with different gender associations hyphenated. Dude, just pick one gender neutral name), listing their pronouns, and giving a brief yet lengthy and cringeworthy explanation on how to tell what gender they were at the moment (they had a locket or something that somehow displayed their gender even though magic doesn't really work outside the magical girl forms of the characters). And it's just... like... why would someone do that. In real life you wouldn't walk up to someone and be like "I am [name] and I am [gender]." No you would just introduce yourself with just your name.

And I realize that it makes sense to make people aware that your genderfluid so as to avoid confusion but there was too much information in the post about things that had no buisness being in an introduction. Honestly the character screamed one note.

Rant over. You may begin arguing.

In fairness some people IRL would introduce themselves as "Hi I'm X and I'm [Gender]." Either as a sort of defensive means of starting the conversation on their terms OR because it was a suitably important part of their identity.

But the thing is those people in real life would understand that they would get backlash for doing that, as best case scenario it's socially awkward and people will think your odd. Worst case scenario you'll get defensive antagonism by someone who feels like they're being lectured at.

And I'm guessing that's where friend trips up isn't it? They don't see this scenario as something the other characters should be annoyed about and would probably get upset if it was mocked/ignored/treated negatively in the IC.

So that would be were the problem comes in. There are awkward and overly forward people in real life. There is absolutely nothing wrong with portraying them in roleplays. The key is to understand they aren't going to be well-liked by everyone. It takes a very easy going and tolerant person to work well against that type of personality. Everyone else will just find them off putting.

I think a good piece of advice I heard in regards to this is that when writing characters, instead of being like "people don't act this way", it's more helpful to be like "Most people don't act that way, so if they're going to act in that way it needs to be an actual part of their character". So I'm cool with it, as long as it's not treat like a completely normal way to introduce yourself lol-

Don't see anything wrong with that
My issue is that by listing "lgbtq" as a sub genre, you're setting the expectation that the rp is gonna be about that to some extent. Just putting it there because you can play as gay characters feels a bit like false advertising to me.

I worry sometimes about playing bi characters because what you just described (having a character bludgeon others over the head with stuff like that when it's something that most people just don't do) is exactly how I don't want to RP. Writing bi characters comes very easily to me because I, myself, am bi, but I'm never sure if I should mention it in the character form or just bring it up in the RP if it comes up within the storyline. I know some sheets have a slot for sexuality right off the bat, but most don't and I'm never sure if it's something I should include or not. I also really hate when people assume that I'm playing a bi character because I want romance or easier romance or it's ~quirky~ or other similar reasons. Like...no...this is my default character sexuality (if it even comes up!!) because it's what I have experience with. :/

BackSet BackSet

What peeves me the most about roleplaying sometimes is when some folks have no sense of humor. Since laughter is the best medicine, it'll always help to have a jest or two just in case. Unfortunately, some are too serious to even consider what could easily relieve the stresses and tensions during an RP episode. Another idea to note is when one makes an RP joke, it should be funny rather than mean. Fine line between the two.

My issue is that by listing "lgbtq" as a sub genre, you're setting the expectation that the rp is gonna be about that to some extent. Just putting it there because you can play as gay characters feels a bit like false advertising to me.
Well the fact that it counts as a subgenre is stupid in the first place, in my opinion. It's like having a genre called straight cis gender.
I worry sometimes about playing bi characters because what you just described (having a character bludgeon others over the head with stuff like that when it's something that most people just don't do) is exactly how I don't want to RP. Writing bi characters comes very easily to me because I, myself, am bi, but I'm never sure if I should mention it in the character form or just bring it up in the RP if it comes up within the storyline. I know some sheets have a slot for sexuality right off the bat, but most don't and I'm never sure if it's something I should include or not. I also really hate when people assume that I'm playing a bi character because I want romance or easier romance or it's ~quirky~ or other similar reasons. Like...no...this is my default character sexuality (if it even comes up!!) because it's what I have experience with. :/

BackSet BackSet
Most people won't complain if you put that kind of stuff in the "other" section of your character sheet. If it has one (in my experience, most people won't complain if you add an "other" section to your character sheet).

Well the fact that it counts as a subgenre is stupid in the first place, in my opinion. It's like having a genre called straight cis gender.
I think if someone has lgbtq as a tag, I'm going to assume that the RP has something to do with some of the real-life experiences and struggles that come with those identities. So it isn't as if the tag doesn't have meaning, whereas straight cis gender doesn't convey anything additional besides a mxf pairing because such relationships/identities aren't socially stigmatized.

1. Mwy pwet pweeve is when pweople twalk wike dis, It's pretty damn annoying and how could you even understand that?
  2. G O D - M O D D I N G, A.K.A the most annoying thing in an RP. You can be OP, but not freaking powerful enough to destroy the multiverse with the tap of your fingers.
  3. Lack of common sense, examples are "I am not a god, but I'm as powerful as a god."
  4. xteremly bod gremmer
  5. The "God" OC's, they're like god-modders without being god-modders.

Hmm some of my pet peeves have already been mentioned, but still...

• Character personality: he/she has a completely random personality<--this right here makes me cringe a lot. I will never accept such a thing in a roleplay that I create. There is no such thing as a 'completely random' personality, even if the character was insane. I also see it as a lack of desire to write a true personality.

• People who come up with extra powers, weapons, skills for a character that were not mentioned in their CS. When you call them out on it, some of them apologize and edit the post, but others give a response along the lines of this: "I didn't write it because I didn't feel like it. My character is x species, y lineage, knows z martial arts style, so it was obvious he'd have those powers/weapons/skills as well...". No, just no...you didn't write about it in their CS so they don't exist. Period.

• People who write illogical things, act like those things are facts, and that they know everything better than everyone. Examples: "omnipotent characters have been killed before...", "my character is not omnipotent, but he/she can kill omnipotent people. True facts right here".<-note: these examples were heavily inspired from real ones that I read.

• God-modding. Self-explanatory.

• Extremely bad grammar.

• People who get angry when you correct their grammatical errors.

• People who always want their character to be the center of attention...
Well I mean, my characters do have a lot of attacks that are not in their CS. Mainly since there are too many for me to write in or they're not a (Keyword) special technique or attack.

I think if someone has lgbtq as a tag, I'm going to assume that the RP has something to do with some of the real-life experiences and struggles that come with those identities. So it isn't as if the tag doesn't have meaning, whereas straight cis gender doesn't convey anything additional besides a mxf pairing because such relationships/identities aren't socially stigmatized.
I still don't get it. There are plenty of socially stigmatized groups that aren't lgbt+. They don't get their own genres.

I myself, only use the lgbtq (it really needs an a) tag because every damn roleplay I start has a disproportionate amount of lgbt+ characters. I just seem to attract them.

I still don't get it. There are plenty of socially stigmatized groups that aren't lgbt+. They don't get their own genres.

I myself, only use the lgbtq (it really needs an a) tag because every damn roleplay I start has a disproportionate amount of lgbt+ characters. I just seem to attract them.

The reason there isn’t other marginalized tags is probably because no one has requested them yet.

The Staff just started with the ones that were most popular and have let people request the ones they want in the Community Hub.

So if you think the current ones aren’t specific/inclusive enough you can talk to them directly.

The reason there isn’t other marginalized tags is probably because no one has requested them yet.

The Staff just started with the ones that were most popular and have let people request the ones they want in the Community Hub.

So if you think the current ones aren’t specific/inclusive enough you can talk to them directly.
I actually don't care I just found it kind of weird (I would like them to add an a to that lgbtq tag, though).

I actually don't care I just found it kind of weird (I would like them to add an a to that lgbtq tag, though).

That’s my point. This isn’t them working on changes in the background that will be revealed in the next update.

It is they are ONLY adding things people request. And even then the requests that are deemed distinct enough to not overlap with current options.

So if you don’t ask it’s never going to happen.

That’s my point. This isn’t them working on changes in the background that will be revealed in the next update.

It is they are ONLY adding things people request. And even then the requests that are deemed distinct enough to not overlap with current options.

So if you don’t ask it’s never going to happen.
Not even gonna bother.

Roleplaying, player pet peeve whatever. I don't mind when someone answers my request thread even though I have it marked as closed/filled. It's when I tell them as politely as possible I'm no longer taking on more roleplays maybe we can keep in touch to start something another time
that they get very upset or leave the pm conversation permanently without a word.
I guess certain people don't like no.

It makes me absolutely crazy when people don't read your posts before replying. I understand that in the midst of writing back and forth there are small details that can get missed (I'm guilty of this myself) but when I read someone's post and they write things that directly contradict what I wrote in the previous post it makes me feel like you aren't really interested in working on the story together. Nothing makes me lose interest in an rp faster than when I feel like my partner isn't bothering to meet me in the middle.

I can't stand when some like to think if I put SciFi down they immediately think I want to do something about Star Wars or Star Trek as if there's not a plot that can be done outside of them even moreso if we do manage to get to the plotting phase of a SciFi plot they're not subtle about throwing elements from ST or SW into the part of the plot the entire plot.

My partner using me as a medium to write.

This does not happen often, but enough and with very good writers. It can normally be seen in the brainstorming stages, but instead of shooting ideas back and forth, the partner is set on a specific thing, a specific character or plot line. Or they just say "yes" to every idea I put forward and don't contribute anything. Sometimes they cannot choose a main character to focus on and instead introduce lots and lots of side characters with equal representation in the story. Any input by my characters or sub-plots has no effect on my partner's character/s. My partner just exists in a bubble of their own RP, their own characters that only interact between one another and develop relationships only on that side of the story.

Then there's me, either giving my partner a free ride on the RP train, or being dragged behind it.

It stops being a 50/50 contribution, but becomes 99/1, in mine or their favor.

I don't know how often this happens to others (if at all).

Edit: wording is hard

I can't stand when some like to think if I put SciFi down they immediately think I want to do something about Star Wars or Star Trek as if there's not a plot that can be done outside of them even moreso if we do manage to get to the plotting phase of a SciFi plot they're not subtle about throwing elements from ST or SW into the part of the plot the entire plot.
This to an absolute T :P I recall making a Sci-Fi space station RP long ago, just the usual group based thing. Engineers would go out to help standed ships who have sustained damaged or ran out of fuel. Security would reguarly board ships to conduct searches and detain any criminals found etc.. I had to heavily state that there would be no 'laser guns', 'plasma engines', 'nano-bots' etc.. etc.. I'm much more interested in Hard-Sci-Fi, where ships are still using liquid hydrogen fuel as propulsion and smaller Retro-rockets to maneuver amongst the various space junk that continues to clog up the enviroment above our planet. :D

This to an absolute T :P I recall making a Sci-Fi space station RP long ago, just the usual group based thing. Engineers would go out to help standed ships who have sustained damaged or ran out of fuel. Security would reguarly board ships to conduct searches and detain any criminals found etc.. I had to heavily state that there would be no 'laser guns', 'plasma engines', 'nano-bots' etc.. etc.. I'm much more interested in Hard-Sci-Fi, where ships are still using liquid hydrogen fuel as propulsion and smaller Retro-rockets to maneuver amongst the various space junk that continues to clog up the enviroment above our planet. :D

Now that sounds like an awesome idea to be honest. Nothing that's way out there. I can't remember the last time I did a SciFi roleplay dealing with space because of that reason, people wanting to blow it up to something bigger than it was intended to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back