Roleplay Pet Peeves

call me rae

Closing this account
So due to some recent issues that have popped up in this thread I'm re-defining the purpose of this thread to prevent further arguments and unnecessary tangents. 

Please only post your own pet peeves or comments relating to other users peeves.

No posts calling out other people's opinions/peeves. 

No giving unnecessary feedback on "improving" other people's roleplay styles

Keep debates on topic and civilized please. 

No calling out other players specifically based on their opinions or contribution to pet peeves.

And as a disclaimer none of the pet peeves listed in this thread are meant to be taken as ironclad laws of "proper" roleplaying. People might dislike something but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily an incorrect or bad habit to have. 

For everyone who dislikes a pet peeve there are plenty of people who don't care one way or the other or who actively enjoy using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two words: Writer's block.

It's like oh yeah I want to write this with the great imagination in your mind, then right when you set your hands on the keyboard, blank. The great wall has arrived straight at your face.

Welcome to hell roleplay version. 

Let me just send this epic and awesome post with lovely details.

*waits three days for a response, gets a one liner back*

I hate when I put in effort only to get a single sentence.

So a few relatively minor ones

• Rudeness. Like when people are just super snarky or condescending in their searches. It just kind of turns me off.
  • When people get super offended and leave without giving me a chance to work on a compromise so we're both happy
  • GMs who write all their stuff in a single block of text without any visuals or bolded text or making it pretty
  • People who want me to post like twelve times a day. Ain't no one got time for that.

TIE LOCKS!

If you don't know what that is, it's when you tie in your character with someone else's for a little while (like they have an encounter, or date, and start living together.) and then they leave in the middle of something, and the rest of the group continues playing, but you can't cause you're locked with this player till they come back. I just call it a "tie lock." Cause you tie in, and get locked in place. I'm not sure if there's a better word with it. But these are like the worst. Part of the reason, I've pulled away from group RPs, and am hesitant to jump back into any. The game of catch up, after a tie lock is always the worst. Or if you have a big Tie Lock that halts everyone's play, because one person won't respond, at the most climactic part of the RP.... the worst...

I would have to say that my personal pet-peeve is more when there are a bunch of different writing levels all in one place. I just don't like it because it feels like while some people are writing at a detailed RP level and others are writing at a casual RP level. I find it just becomes a giant mess since there's way too many different levels of writing, and a lot of the players who do write paragraphs get bored, or the more casual players get annoyed. It just doesn't work. Idk. On that note, I really miss the things that let you know what level the roleplay would be (be it simple, casual, or detailed)

People who get huffy if I correct them on errors... specifically cultural errors, mind you. I get that not everyone is familiar or knowledgeable, but if I don't tell them, they'll continue remaining ignorant. I hate them when they pretend to be all that, but really only know a white-washed version of things. If they get huffy when I correct them I get an urge to punch their ego dicks. e v e

TIE LOCKS!

If you don't know what that is, it's when you tie in your character with someone else's for a little while (like they have an encounter, or date, and start living together.) and then they leave in the middle of something, and the rest of the group continues playing, but you can't cause you're locked with this player till they come back. I just call it a "tie lock." Cause you tie in, and get locked in place. I'm not sure if there's a better word with it. But these are like the worst. Part of the reason, I've pulled away from group RPs, and am hesitant to jump back into any. The game of catch up, after a tie lock is always the worst. Or if you big Tie Lock that halts everyone's play, because one person won't respond, at the most climactic part of the RP.... the worst...

I hate those a lot. Although I do find a way to avoid dealing so heavily with them is to make a second character. Since that way while one may be in a tie lock, the other can still go off freely. Plus it leaves for being able to interact with more of the roleplay all at once which is pretty rad.

i hate the competition to have the most tragic character. i absolutely hate it ... it's so obnoxious? like why can't we all be a lil' fucked up lol

I think a main pet peeve for myself is when a role play is finally started up and people take even longer to reply a first, second, third post than they do to always ask how long until the rp starts. xD  I simply think it is funny...hardyharhar

However, it definitely irks me and I don't know when to finally just move on and stop contacting the people.

There was once this situation where a GM got prissy because people weren't answering, and everyone was like "Hold up we can't answer every day because school started", so she deleted the thread along with the whole CSs

And we were like "damn you just deleted our work u mind?"

There was once this situation where a GM got prissy because people weren't answering, and everyone was like "Hold up we can't answer every day because school started", so she deleted the thread along with the whole CSs

Shoot! How terrible! That sounds too quick. I always notice some GMs being lenient with time, as I am full time so I take my time but after a couple weeks you gotta wonder. However, if it is that quick, as it sounds, then it's very sad someone would delete all that work. Patience people...

Bland ass characters or having too many of the same character in an rp is a HUGE pet peeve.

I mean characters with half-assed cs's or cs's that barely give anything about the character.

Example:

Personality: Nice, but mean when wants to be.

Bio: Joined organization after parents were murdered by bad guys.

Other:  Theme: (Some stupid teen love-song)

(Okay, usually they aren't this bad, but you get an idea of what I mean.)

And then there's the issue of having like 6 characters with basically the same personality (Usually either being the really nice girl or the angsty emo teen that avoids people) and 10 characters all having dead parents or families as motivation.

WHERE IS THE DIVERSITY??? THE CREATIVITY??? COME ON, PEOPLE.

I used to do that. Not like right away - but if I started a roleplay and I knew I wasn't going to be able to devote time to it or like only one person ever posted a half-finished CS I would delete the whole thing to clear up my posting history.

Which hella rude now that I look back on it. But I dunno I just didn't want the old threads clogging up things or people coming back months and months later posting in threads that I had moved on from. 

No lie had that happen a bit in my early 1x1s. We're talking two months after someone disappeared they post in the thread. And like by that point I've forgotten all about it so I'm like - who the heck is this person and what is this thread I'm getting notifications on?

@nerdyfangirl Nah that's understandable though, if it was some time, but this was a rp that was rolling well and withing 5 minutes everything was removed - like LOL deal with your issues pls

This boarding school roleplay is going to be about [werewolves/vampires/assassins/mole people/etc.]. The school got shutdown after several of the students were attacked by [rivals/hunters/demons/the government/zombies/etc]. Most of them died, except for one, who [turned/killed the attackers/discovered the ability to freeze time/is actually invincible/etc.]. This person is excited to return to school, where s/he can meet all sorts of new people.

The RP is going to start off on the first day of school, but then the school will be attacked because [forgettable villain clone A] wants the unique person for some reason. Not long after that, [forgettable villain clone B] will do something similar for a similar reason, except his weapons will be blue. In-between saving the world, the students will pretend to go to classes while they'll instead flirt in the halls for eight hours.

Characters: So, I'm going to play as the super unique character who is integral to the plot, and everyone else isn't allowed to have any unique abilities whatsoever. If I want my character to date your character, it's going to happen. I also may kill your character off if I find them to be more important than my super unique character. Who wants to sign up?

Whenever I see a summary like this, I have to fight the urge to tell them to write a book instead of an RP. It's no fun being in a group when there's one clearly superior character. This is an exaggeration. I don't have anything against school roleplays, I swear.

Black on Night Life... XD. 

I copy and paste from emails at work cuz it's easier to type up that way and then just paste rather than start - get called away to handle something - then finish up. 

But related to this - trying to figure out how to get all my tables to work in each of the themes. I love variety but it has made CS a pain to make readable. 

pet peeves i have beyond belief?

i think my biggest one is whenever there's a roleplay group that requires male/female, the female cap is quickly full and reserved more than males. i've been roleplaying since i was maybe 13 (i'm 21 now) and i've seen groups lose activity or just shut down because no one wants to app any male/masculine characters. i don't know how to accurately describe it, but it's like...people are just in it for shipping purposes and want to ship themselves with the males? this is a thing i saw on deviantArt quite a bit while growing up, so i app male characters to help mods out a bit. like, sometimes it gets so bad that i've seen mods put a cap on female characters or close them until there's enough male characters, so...i just roleplay as males now to avoid that.

idk if anyone gets me or understands what i mean, but i really do hate that. i hope that doesn't sound mean or gross or bitchy of me ashjddhejek ---

Let me just send this epic and awesome post with lovely details.

*waits three days for a response, gets a one liner back*

I hate when I put in effort only to get a single sentence.

I CAN RELATE. 

it's so rude and disrespectful? and also it just shows they don't care about the RP as much as you do. /:

I have a few:

1. GM's ought to keep an open mind in their Roleplays. I feel that, looking at myself especially, we want an RP to be a specific something. I feel that GM's ought to attempt to incorporate the ideas of players as the storyline progresses. After all, I have yet to see a Roleplay without Roleplayers.
  2. Communication. i as a (rare) GM hate it when someone vanishes before the Roleplay gets started! As a peeve, even if life comes up, all I need is  "I will be away X amount of days" or "I won't be able to partake any longer". It is frustrating to everybody.
  3. Be open to constructive criticism. I like to see where I can improve as a GM, and point out areas where others can make changes. I feel that too many GM's take their status as granted, and perhaps enjoy bringing the hammer down on those who have unoriginal ideas. Of course, they may deserve it from time to time, but making a conscious effort to explain why something is wrong and how they can fix it is the best for everyone.

Having the GM/co-GM's fall off the face of the earth. 

I just joined two roleplays here in the last couple months. I feel like the only reason they are 'failing'/failed, is because of their GM's lack of involvement and its killing me! I am a little bit frustrated over it. What a dumb reason for a roleplay to fail. One has not had the GM or co-GM pipe up over about two and half weeks. We need direction in it and they both log on, they just will not respond to anyone relating to the role play IC or OOC. 

On the other roleplay, it has not fully failed but I see it heading down that path. We have direction, we are posting. However, it has been ten days with no GM and they have no co-GMs. We are now at a point where we need a character approved for a plot in the story to move forward and the GM is not around. We are torn between sitting on our hands until she shows up or making the choice for ourselves as a group because they are not around. 

I totally get that real life comes up and comes first! My frustration lies in that the one case they are just avoiding the situation and still logging on and being involved else where just not in the group they made. In the other just the fact they did not have a second in command that could be around who we could ask. It is frustrating that it is two roleplays I recently joined back to back that are about to fall into the depths of dead stories because both of their GMs are not being involved in them. 

Me: I need more serious/detailed RP so like this post for a (semi-)detailed starter!

Them: [likes post]

Me: [sends a decent length starter setting up how our characters would run into each other & what sort of mood mine would be in]

Them: [sends a response 1/3 of my starter that can be summarized as "he was training and didn't notice him walk in"]

inhales.

BOI.

I believe I asked for a little more effort than that?

Or better yet

Me: [sends a starter, feels confident]

Me:

Me, two weeks later:

And I don't wanna be a naggy partner so if people don't respond to me they just... don't respond, I guess. ;A;

Also this one's more character-specific but I RP a lot of Bungou Stray Dogs characters, who are all named after real-life authors, my most active being H. P. Lovecraft. I've gotten my Lovecraft involved in a lot of non-BSD RP and do my best to make it clear that this isn't RL Lovecraft, he's not a writer, he's basically a mercenary, and he's not even human, but for some reason some of the Lovecraftian deities I RP with (who are supposed to be his family) still refer to him as things like "the writer" and "the messenger". Just... read my pinned tweet, please, it'll all make sense. (I think Shub-Niggurath's writer and Abhoth's writer are the only ones that get it so shoutout to them)

Hmm some of my pet peeves have already been mentioned, but still...

• Character personality: he/she has a completely random personality<--this right here makes me cringe a lot. I will never accept such a  thing in a roleplay that I create. There is no such thing as a 'completely random' personality, even if the character was insane. I also see it as a lack of desire to write a true personality.
  • People who come up with extra powers, weapons, skills for a character that were not mentioned in their CS. When you call them out on it, some of them apologize and edit the post, but others give a response along the lines of this: "I didn't write it because I didn't feel like it. My character is x species, y lineage, knows z martial arts style, so it was obvious he'd have those powers/weapons/skills as well...". No, just no...you didn't write about it in their CS so they don't exist. Period.
  • People who write illogical things, act like those things are facts, and that they know everything better than everyone. Examples: "omnipotent characters have been killed before...", "my character is not omnipotent, but he/she can kill omnipotent people. True facts right here".<-note: these examples were heavily inspired from real ones that I read.
  • God-modding. Self-explanatory.
  • Extremely bad grammar.
  • People who get angry when you correct their grammatical errors.
  • People who always want their character to be the center of attention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back