Roleplay Pet Peeves

What do you mean? When people get an aspect of the lore wrong? When they misrepresent characters/story beats?
When they purposely ignore canon to suit their own vile machinations. They don't even bother saying it's an au!

Making characters bland despite them having a vibrant personality canonically. Making characters they hate evil. Shoving yandere/tsundere/whatever-dere traits on them. Shoving a bunch of lgbt+ stuff on them (before you jump me like angry wolves I have no problem with lgbt characters, just characters who canonically aren't lgbt being potrayed as lgbt).

It just makes me sick. Stop defiling canon you vile leeches!

Oh, and can you stop portraying JokerxHarley as romantic. Thanks.

When they purposely ignore canon to suit their own vile machinations. They don't even bother saying it's an au!

Making characters bland despite them having a vibrant personality canonically. Making characters they hate evil. Shoving yandere/tsundere/whatever-dere traits on them. Shoving a bunch of lgbt+ stuff on them (before you jump me like angry wolves I have no problem with lgbt characters, just characters who canonically aren't lgbt being potrayed as lgbt).

It just makes me sick. Stop defiling canon you vile leeches!

Oh, and can you stop portraying JokerxHarley as romantic. Thanks.

I would say most of that is simply down to poor writing skills. And the LGBTQ could be because the characters are coded a specific way but it doesn’t fit the narrative to actually showcase it.

Harry Potter is a good example of this, the author is not especially adept at writing romance explicitly if it doesn’t really serve the narrative. But you could argue several side characters are coded as LGBTQ we just don’t see their stories as they aren’t the main focus of the narrative.

Now that said I will say that it can be frustrating when people clearly overstate their familiarity with the canon. Like I don’t mind if you don’t know something, I’m the kind of nerd that could talk for literal hours about my fandoms.

But don’t say your familiar with something then get into an argument with me about basic canon. Like I research that shit and can provide page numbers.

I would say most of that is simply down to poor writing skills. And the LGBTQ could be because the characters are coded a specific way but it doesn’t fit the narrative to actually showcase it.

Harry Potter is a good example of this, the author is not especially adept at writing romance explicitly if it doesn’t really serve the narrative. But you could argue several side characters are coded as LGBTQ we just don’t see their stories as they aren’t the main focus of the narrative.

Now that said I will say that it can be frustrating when people clearly overstate their familiarity with the canon. Like I don’t mind if you don’t know something, I’m the kind of nerd that could talk for literal hours about my fandoms.

But don’t say your familiar with something then get into an argument with me about basic canon. Like I research that shit and can provide page numbers.
Coded?

Still confused. English to BackSet translation, please.

In literature, writers tend to use coding a lot. You know the movie Avatar? The one with the blue people? The blue people are not Native Americans, but they are coded that way. You can see a lot of similarities with them and the way we stereotype Native Americans.

Coding is simply when you take, usually a marginalized, group and then put them in a story, not as themselves but as something else which is representing them.

In literature, writers tend to use coding a lot. You know the movie Avatar? The one with the blue people? The blue people are not Native Americans, but they are coded that way. You can see a lot of similarities with them and the way we stereotype Native Americans.

Coding is simply when you take, usually a marginalized, group and then put them in a story, not as themselves but as something else which is representing them.
So... X-Men.

When you plot with a person for all of three pm posts because unlike what they specified in their interest check they don't put forth any ideas on a plot that they made up in the first place. On top of that they don't want to do the opener for their idea and when they do they have it up in a matter of an hour expecting you to reply back instantly which if you don't you're not interested. All of that, one big pile of a peeve.

When you plot with a person for all of three pm posts because unlike what they specified in their interest check they don't put forth any ideas on a plot that they made up in the first place. On top of that they don't want to do the opener for their idea and when they do they have it up in a matter of an hour expecting you to reply back instantly which if you don't you're not interested. All of that, one big pile of a peeve.
I can sense the blood boiling from here :P

kinda specific, but whatever. I do war and battle/combat driven stories a lot, mixed with romance a lot. I don't get it, but there's a problem with mxf roleplays in this niche of mine.

i'm usually playing male, so the other is commonly a female if mxf. for war rp's, for some reason, almost all the female characters i have written with are either medics or some combat-less soldier. like, what? I get medics exist and all, but they have weaponry! or for the ones that in some way have nothing to do with combat, why? it's a war rp and they agreed to do it, so why?

let's say for crime roleplays. heists and such, my character and other males in mxm roleplays are usually the average criminal that does really crazy shit. but with the females, it's always either a cynical, mean, tsundere-like stealthly theif in all black latex, leather, or stealthy clothes. it's about crime and i'm gonna drop you off of a fucking stolen helicopter, go crazy! i don't get this cynical and mean sexy all-blacked out theif character. ugh.. just take an AR and shoot somebody!

yeahhh. i apologize for the rambling.

Gotta add one more, probs said before but whatevs.

One of my biggest pet peeves is passive characters. Not those shy characters, or ones with social anxiety or any of that, those characters are fine. I don't mind if characters have a hard time interacting. What I hate are characters that don't do anything. Or only do something if the creator wants something to happen to them because of it.

For me, it just makes a boring character to play against. Basically, it is up to my character to carry the plot then and that is... Not fun.

Canon defilement. I hate canon defilement. This is why I don't play canon characters.

Ouch, that sounds like a bad time. Thankfully I haven’t had to deal with that in my fandom crossovers.....much.

There was an occasion once where there was a guy with an OC. Guy’s character had a symbiote. Guy didn’t bother with actually learning about symbiotes and just roleplayed it like a sorta....anime girl? I don’t know how to describe it, but it wasn’t really what a symbiote was. Not sure if it necessarily applies to your problem....but yea.

Ouch, that sounds like a bad time. Thankfully I haven’t had to deal with that in my fandom crossovers.....much.

There was an occasion once where there was a guy with an OC. Guy’s character had a symbiote. Guy didn’t bother with actually learning about symbiotes and just roleplayed it like a sorta....anime girl? I don’t know how to describe it, but it wasn’t really what a symbiote was. Not sure if it necessarily applies to your problem....but yea.
Blech. Gross.

this is less of a pet peeve and more of a turn off but i hate whenever i see someone's looking to be the "dom/sub" character. like, i don't know, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to know that's already predetermined before we've even created the plot. and it just seems unnatural?? no one character should be pursuing/calling all the shots all the time

this is less of a pet peeve and more of a turn off but i hate whenever i see someone's looking to be the "dom/sub" character. like, i don't know, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to know that's already predetermined before we've even created the plot. and it just seems unnatural?? no one character should be pursuing/calling all the shots all the time
It's also extremely gross and fetishy. And for me, it calls to mind abuse.

This reminds me of a funny twitter post I saw that sort of poked fun at romance genre (and especially the erotica and fanfic corners) obsession with breaking people up into top/bottom and other type pairings.

They said - “You guys know it’s not like assigned seating right?”

And sometimes that’s exactly what it’s treated like. As if the character can only act X way because they can only take Y position during sex. Which is weird cuz you can’t even roleplay sex on this particular site anyway.

A lot of times it’s not even so much fetishy as much as people just wanting to play very rigid gender roles. (Or the equivalent in the case of a same sex couple, where one is the “man” and one is the “woman”)

But the problem is those work best when your doing single point of view stories. Because by their nature they only ever have one point of view with everything revolving around that person.

Roleplay is a collaborative medium though so putting all the focus on one character makes it uneven and boring.

Unless your really lucky and you find someone with your exact same interest who is willing to either do all the work or none of it. But that’s actually pretty rare.

Cardboard characters. Conventionally attractive cut-outs who are either boring, with no flaws or defining traits, and are just brick walls, replying with "okay" to everything, only initiating the blandest, surface-level conversations clearly intended to kickstart the romantic tension between their character and my character.

I like romance when it's slowburn and natural between characters with real chemistry. I write a lot of supernatural being x human plots, most often taking the supernatural part, and sometimes people really skimp on human characters and make thinly-veiled self-inserts or blank slates just for shipping.

man dot nt get me started on rp hangups that can be a subject of my next YouTube vidio

1 i am male i cant play female yes i can i am not gay i just have a strung feminine side

2 sex mongers i prefer to wear skirts every so often so i come home to my room to Change i dong want you ripping my skirt off and throwing me on the bed

3 people that thank i am a pedophile for playing a kid no i like the innocence i mean full family mommy and daddy and no sex

4 people that expect me to write a book i am kind of new

5. grammar kings i am learning disable i will make mistakes

6 people that expect sex all the time heck i like dancing and to be treatedlike a housewife not a sextoy

7 people that give me nothing to work with i.e i take your skirt off take your panties off with my teeth ok spicy but what next

8. rudeness treat me like a lady

9 people that just get up and leave tell me why i am ok with it

10 people that know i make mistakes gives my no chance to better myself before they get tired of me

11 role plays i never herd of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back