• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I will say with emphasis, no, I am the final call on when a skill check or die roll is successful or fails.
Thank you, Bud!

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

With this question answered, I remain. I hope to have (at least) a Snowy post in a day or two. =)

EDIT: Howcum I can only leave ONE HEART on your post when I want to leave about 20? =) =) =)

Been chatting with Kikimura Kikimura about joining in the game. I thought we might bring our chat here to let everyone get into the conversation.

Kikimura Kikimura Konnichiwa, Kikimura-san!

Welcome! I am Dannigan, a Player here, and this is my Kitsune, Snowfall, whom I play in this game.

I was following your conversation with my longtime bud, Sherwood, and you mentioned you like to play expressive characters. I notice you also have a like of Asian creatures (go go! Beat up those oni!). But first, a little about this game for you!

Rifts Japan takes place in a magic-ridden post-apocalyptic Earth where Japan has two factions - one is a magical, spiritual people who live under the traditions and laws of Nippon's feudal days (all pre-Meiji Restoration era) serving the Emperor and Shogun. They are called the New Empire. The other is called the Republic of Japan. The republic is made up of the city of Hiroshima and its people who were catapulted through time before the apocalypse (The Coming of the Rifts, Rifts being the game name). They are a tech-oriented people with cyborgs, mecha, and many average citizens who own and use cybernetics.

We are playing inside the city of Hiroshima. But you mentioned that you like expressive characters and I wanted to touch on that. Do you like birds? Perhaps you could play a Tengu? One of our other players (Psychie) has enjoyed making a Kumo-Mi Cloud Dragon (a baby hatchling who is mature-minded and also a Shinto monk of Sohei traditions).

I am going to bed now. I just wanted to give you a warm welcome. Please look around Sherwood's game at the other links (like Lore and Characters). All of the Players here are friends of mine. Maybe you will be too!

Honor and fun,
"Dann-san" =)

Oh. One more thing. I think Yokai.com is a splendid place for Japanese folklore. Perhaps it will generate ideas that both you and Sherwood can work out to make a fun and long-lasting character? I hope so!

Yeah, its late for me, too, and I have to be up early in the morning tomorrow. I think I shall turn in, and we can continue this talk later on.

Hopefully you two have gone to bed, but when you wake up I think I'll choose between an Oni or a Tanuki, they seem to fit the folklore well °^°

Hopefully you two have gone to bed, but when you wake up I think I'll choose between an Oni or a Tanuki, they seem to fit the folklore well °^°
Purr Purr whacha think? Sorry for the ping btw didn't know how to else get your attention

Well, the problem is that you guys are a demon-hunting group in the city, so playing one might be a problem.

A normal human being might be best, but it is by no means a hard line that you can't pass. I would like to see you try something like a powered armor operator, or a Cyber Knight. Either one of those would work well in the game setting.

Sounds good to me! I'll go for a human cyber knight. We said body transfer isn't a thing right? I've been thinking an old assasin gets granted a chance to right his wrongs in a different body or the such.

That kind of background, where you are seeking to redeem yourself for past wrongs, can work well with the code of conduct that the Cyber Knights use.

The next thing on our list to do is to come up with attributes. There are eight in the Palladium system: IQ (how smart you are), Mental Endurance (mental toughness and saving throws vs psi attacks), Mental Affinity (charisma, or how likable/intimidating you are), Physical Strength (how strong you are), Physical Prowess (dexterity, and gives bonuses on Strike, Parry and Dodge), Physical Endurance (constitution, and saving throws vs poison/magic), Physical Beauty (how good looking you are), and Speed (running speed)

For a normal human, you have two choices that I offer. You can roll your eight stats here in the OOC thread, or I can use my own dice to roll for you. If you roll for yourself, you roll 4d6, reroll 1's, and take the top three dice. If they equal a 16-18, you add in one more d6. If that extra d6 is a 6, you add in one more d6, for a potential max starting number of 30. You can then shuffle the eight numbers around to put your numbers where you want.

Would seem easier for you to roll if possible!
Of course! I do all the rolls for Dannigan, since he hates the dice roller here. I will work on a good Cyber Knight for you over the next few hours, but I probably won't get done tonight before I have to go to work.

Here is some stuff about the Cyber Knight. Most of the references are for a North American-based game, but the general stuff still applies.

Nobody knows exactly where they came from, how they came to be
or why, but about 80 years before the end of the Dark Age, the CyberKnight
emerged to battle monsters and tyrants. However, most educated
and civilized people did not acknowledge the Knights even really
existed until 1 8 P.A. This has led some D-Bees to believe the CyberKnights
came into being to oppose the ever-growing and corrupt Coalition
States. Others say that they came to fight inj ustice in all its forms
and to combat the hordes of supernatural beings that terrorize the land.
The truth is that they are the champions of all people, human and inhuman,
who are oppressed, suffer from inj ustice or are tormented by evil,
regardless of who or what may be the cause.
The Cyber-Knights' origin is lost to myth and legend. According to
the stories, a group of great and noble warriors, who called themselves
the Defilers, came to the land. Their group was composed of all manner
of men and monsters, yet they treated each other as brothers, comrades
in arms, and equals in all regards. This strange gathering of heroes led
by example and showed courage, honor, and nobility in everything they
did. They told how all people were equal and deserved to live free, and
how, on their own world, entire races and cultures perished when one
tried to dominate the other. They spoke too of standing against inj ustice
and evil and striving to do what is right even when the price to pay is a
high one. When the group left, years later, they had made a great im-
pression on the wilderness people in the West and Midwest. One of the
Defilers, a tall, dark haired warrior known as Lord Coake, stayed behind,
at the people's request, to train others in the way of the Knights.
It is said that Lord Coake, too, would leave one day, but not before creating
the lasting legacy that is the Cyber-Knights.
Today, being a Cyber-Knight is both a profession and a way of life
based on an ideology and code of ethics. The Knights are not a formal
organization, although they do sometimes work in pairs and small
groups, and gather and train at secret locations in the New West. One
becomes a Cyber-Knight only if he or she is accepted as an apprentice
by one who is already a Cyber-Knight. The apprentice is instructed in
the ways of life and knighthood by an accomplished master. After years
of tutelage and training, the dedicated apprentice may achieve CyberKnight
status and develop the powers that come with it. Each new
Cyber-Knight, in turn, teaches others, and the tradition continues. Rumor
and legend had told of the existence of a monastery that taught the
way of the Cyber-Knights and that Lord Coake, himself, was its spiritual
teacher, but few believed it was true. However, new rumors coming
from the Tolkeen war-front tell of Cyber-Knights coming to rescue
refugees and leading them into the West. Supposedly, Lord Coake is
among these saviors. (See Coalition Wars® Book 4 : CyberKnightsTM
for more details on Cyber-Knights, Fallen Knights, and
their involvement with Tolkeen. ) But if this monastery exists, the Coalition
has yet to find it, nor does anyone else seem to know its location
The Cyber-Knights are living legends. Champions of the underdog.
The great heroes of North America who wander the land and fight for
the little guy - those people whose voices are too small and too soft to
be heard on their own, or who lack the muscle to stand against inj ustice
and evil alone. Wi lderness folk adore these noble men and women, and
provide them with free room and board, help, medical aid and support
any way they can. Although the Cyber-Knights are often elevated by
the people to hero status, the Knights themselves (generally speaking),
never see themselves as better than anybody else. They see the simple,
hardworking farmer, laborer, huntsman and ditch digger as equally as
valuable as the next man - or Knight. The Knights also believe that
D-Bees, humans and all sentient life have the same rights and should be
accepted as equals.
A Cyber-Knight answers to no authority other than the callings of
his own heart and the Code of Chivalry. It is the code of the Knighthood
that keeps the champions on the true path of honor, nobility, and
goodness. They are obsessed with the protection of innocent life, both
human and nonhuman, and bringing freedom to the oppressed. They do
not go looking for trouble, but in the endless struggle for survival in the
rugged lands of Rifts Earth, trouble never seems far away.
The warriors rarely travel together in groups larger than a pair. A
troop of five or more Cyber-Knights can only mean that some terrible
crisis or horrible danger is coming. Instead, they disperse, each roaming
the land on horseback or vehicle, seeking and righting inj ustice
wherever it is found. They oppose inj ustice and evil in all its forms,
from demon or dragon to the Coalition or a fellow Cyber-Knight gone
bad. Like self-appointed sheriffs in a wild land, they deal out j ustice as
j udge, j ury, and executioner. Although their methods are extreme, these
are extreme and unusual times. It is this autonomy of action, their legendary
hero status, and phenomenal combat skills, that make them a
threat to despot kings and would-be tyrants.
The Coalition States have always taken a keen interest in CyberKnight
activities. Officially, the CS has had little to say about these
folk heroes, seldom even acknowledging their existence let alone painting
a negative or positive picture. However, the powers that be have always
regarded Cyber-Knights as a potential threat and secretly
eliminate them whenever the opportunity avails itself. The CS regards
Cyber-Knights as powerful and dangerous "enemies of the States."
That having been said, even many Coalition soldiers see Cyber-Knights
as noble and heroic figures, and as a result, few CS soldiers actively
seek to destroy them. In the field of combat, away from Chi-Town and
military authorities, many will accept a Cyber-Knight' s word of honor
and allow them to pass unmolested. A court-martialable offense, yet
many do so out of respect, and others out of fear.
Cyber-Knight Training
Being a Cyber-Knight is a way o f life, based o n strength o f spirit,
focus, ideology and the Code of Chivalry as much as physical prowess
and keen fighting skills. After years of tutelage and training, the dedicated
apprentice, or "squire," achieves the status of Cyber-Knight
shortly after he is able to call forth his own Psi-Sword. By then, the
young Cyber-Knight has already learned the precepts of the Code of
Chivalry, awakened his inner strength and heroic spirit, and has probably
accompanied his master on at least a few adventures. For while
Cyber-Knights seldom gather together, they are often accompanied by
an entourage of 1 -3 apprentices, aides, and warriors and adventurers of
other O.C.C.s.
The training of a Cyber-Knight is fastidious and strenuous. It builds
both the mind and body, becoming a way of life, not j ust a simple philosophy.
In that respect, it is similar to the ancient martial arts of
pre-Rifts Earth. Although not a hard and fast requirement, most CyberKnights
possess some degree of psychic abilities. Mental disciplines include
learning to use whatever psionic powers they may have, meditation,
literacy, the pursuit of truth and knowledge, mastery over one ' s
emotions and living b y the Code. The hero is taught t o understand and
control himself, before he can try to understand others. To recognize
and acknowledge his emotions, to feel them without losing control and
being overcome by them. To maintain his composure and continue to
think coolly and logically even in the heat of combat. Take, for example,
this Cyber-Knight proverb :
"It is easy to lose yourself to fear and hate, and therefore destroy
that which you fear or loathe. But striking out at darkness does not
eliminate it. Destruction out of anger, without reason or purpose, is
simply destruction. You must learn to control fear and anger and love,
for they can blind you to the truth. You must rechannel emotion, and
learn to see in the dark. Become a builder, not a destroyer. Yet remember,
you must tear down that which has become infested with rot in order
to build anew."
Other areas of training include an understanding and appreciation
for all life forms, an openness and tolerance to all ideas and philosophies,
an appreciation of art and beauty, and an openness to magic and
the unknown. Cyber-Knights are also taught to use their imaginations
and to recognize magic as a tool. As a tool, magic is neither inherently
good or evil, j ust another resource that can be tapped and used for good
or evil by men. This open-mindedness makes them one of the few
non-magic O.C.C.s which can intuitively understand and use magic
items and Techno-Wizard devices.
Physical training involves all manner of combat exercises, body
hardening/body building, hand-eye coordination, martial arts, practice
with numerous weapons, paired weapons, gymnastics, and horsemanship.
The purpose is to fuse mind and body into one. To create a "thinking
and controlled" fighting machine with lightning reflexes and deadeye
responses.

Of course! I do all the rolls for Dannigan, since he hates the dice roller here.
Since I am the focus of this statement, matter, allow me one of my hyperactive replies? =)

I have made no secret that the RP Nation dice roller drives me nuts. In my games, which total together about 13 years on this website, it has a long reputation of rolling absolutely horribly - not all of the time - just at the worst possible times for my dear Players. The grief this dice roller has caused them is in no small amount.

This is why I have introduced both Action Points and Diamonds of Fate into my games. I am the only GM I know on RP Nation who has done so. I feel a good Game Master allows either the Players or the dice destroy their characters.

If one of my characters is to become injured or die in-game, I say, let it be decided by real polyhedrons. Solid dice made of metal or wood, plastic or glass. But I beg, not Joe Schmoe's weekend dice algorithm. I put far too much time into my characters to feel otherwise.

I don't hate the dice roller. Frustration and Hate are two different playing fields. I hate no one and nothing. Even those people in life that others say I have a right to. I feel hate is an overused word, especially in North America. Hate is a great waste of time and energy in my life and I only have so much of each. =)

Judgmental folks (which is no one in our game) might try to pick this statement apart, but the wise will understand.

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Purr Purr whacha think? Sorry for the ping btw didn't know how to else get your attention
No worries! Ping whenever you like. =)

Since someone asked, here's what I think. =)
Heya friends!

As with anything I say, feel free to use or discard this as you will. I put it only here for your consideration.

Concerning oni and tanuki, I personally think both character types are possible. Reformed Demons (oni) are already a class although a very challenging one; I can't recommend it for reasons we already discussed.

As for tanuki, if I can play a kitsune (Snowfall), why not a raccoon-dog? As far as Rifts is concerned, they're basically the same Racial Character Class. One is a small dog, the other a fox.

However, a human is a great choice of species to start with because who doesn't know how to play one of those? =)

As for Cyber-Knights in our team (Section 6), earlier in these very pages, we discussed the problem of a Cyber-Knight joining a team like ours. This is a game based on Ghost in the Shell, yes?

The very first scene of Ghost in the Shell has the heroine of the story assassinating a political target. He stands no chance. Kusanagi ambushes and murders him with the rough equivalent of Mega-damage rounds before he even has the opportunity to defend himself. Completely honorless and completely justified wet-work from Kusanagi and Section 9's perspective.

What honorable Cyber-knight would want to join a Ghost in the Shell-like team?

This idea was already discussed here and shot down. Now the idea is live again and given every blessing. This tells me we might be playing Silent Mobius, but we are not playing Ghost in the Shell.

Okay! I can roll with that. Cyber-knights in this world are apparently okay with these things.

My sole concern is that I really think we seem to be moving farther and farther away from a "game of Rifts Japan" and instead we're playing a game of "Rifts in Japan" if you follow my meaning.

Again, these are observations; please don't take these as complaints. If what I'm seeing is true, then it's fine. I just don't want anyone here under any illusions.

I am not the one running this game. Ol' Sherwood's word here is the final word. What he says goes. =)

Last edited:
In defense of the potential Cyber Knight, your team is not quite like the one in GitS. You are not performing political assassinations the way that the Major did in the movie, but you are hunting demons that are preying on the civilians of the Republic. Defending people from nasties that go bump in the night is right up a Cyber Knights alley.

The short answer for me = I'm excited to see what this game is going. We are changing things up.

At the moment, I'm just trying to find out - what kind of team are we making now? =)

In defense of the potential Cyber Knight, your team is not quite like the one in GitS. You are not performing political assassinations the way that the Major did in the movie, but you are hunting demons that are preying on the civilians of the Republic. Defending people from nasties that go bump in the night is right up a Cyber Knights alley.

Why, of course, it isn't! 8D My own Snowfall won't do black ops or wet-work like Section 9. I can't imagine many of our other characters would do the same. "Kimi the Assassin-dragon!" Doesn't quite have her true ring to it does it? Heh!

Plus, this is a Good-aligned campaign, right? That our team isn't just like Section 9 is clear.

I'm not asking you to defend your stance on the Cyber-Knight, Bud. Quite the opposite - it's your game - you do it your way.

I just mean to say that somebody else earlier wanted to play a Cyber-Knight, right? Remember? Just last week, the idea didn't pan out. It didn't work. Now it works just fine. Hmm! Curious! =)

Please understand - that we're going to have a great time, I have no doubt! I can't wait for this to really get going!

It's just logic suggests something has changed and it appears to me for the better - perhaps the vibe of the game? I am naturally curious and trying to find out what, that's all; I am wondering out loud and sharing it with you because you are wonderful people! =)

Since we decided to form this game, it began gathering here, our ideas seem to be changing a little and the game with it. That too is fun and natural!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back