• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I am somewhat surprised that the Atlantean RCC has such low numbers for their dexterity compared to the rest of their stats. I wonder why that is?

Possibly, or maybe they are just so focused on being such elite perfectionists they don’t consider being dodgy? :P

IQ: 17
ME: 22
MA: 30
PS: 23
PP: 9
PE: 14

SPD: 4d6 +6

Result: 23

So full set is ….

IQ: 17
ME: 22
MA: 30
PS: 23
PP: 9
PB: 20
PE: 14
SPD: 23

Maybe wise to juggle the PE and PP?

That will give you a better chance to survive, especially with the list of physical skills that can boost your PP even more.

I am somewhat surprised that the Atlantean RCC has such low numbers for their dexterity compared to the rest of their stats. I wonder why that is?
Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Hi, Buds! Ready for a different perspective? Try this on for size! =)

When trying to relate with fantastic creatures, I try not to make the mistake of thinking like Gamers looking for the best bonuses. Instead, I like to think a little more deeply.

What are Atlanteans? Well, Elves and gnomes and pixies are dexterous creatures while Giants are large, slow, and lumbering, but hit like landslides, right? But Atlanteans, at least in my mind, have a huge love of magic and long life.

So put yourself in their position. If your species as a whole is working hard towards magic (including their tattoo magic and crystal magic), beauty, strong wills, spirituality, and long life, then in Dungeons & Dragons terminology, and they are paladins, clerics, wizards, and sorcerers.

I think it's quite reasonable to make "dexterity" your "dump stat." But not so low that you take a negative to it like, say, (2d6+2).

Hence maybe why there are other Attributes are so much higher? =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Eonivar Eonivar Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood
Hi guys! Hope you're having a good weekend!

I haven't posted in either of Sherwood's games because I could really use some serious help here. Finally, this morning, I think I figured out why I'm having (big) trouble in both this game and Sherwood's UEEF game. This post is quite long - sorry about that but I don't know how to cut it further.

Guys, this was me last night and here is the post that I nearly sent (but decided instead to "sleep on it"). Please read this in that context.

(Tag Sherwood) Hey Bud? Help, please? Long post. Please see spoiler.

Ando felt all of the sudden embarrassed and he quickly checked to made sure his radio earpiece had not fallen out, and then he checked the frequencies of his radio to make sure he was patched in to the ones his team had given him.

(Radio Basic Roll Failed)

He shook his head, as he realized that he did not even have his earpiece in and radio set up. So he quickly puts himself in order in doing so. Now he felt really out of place.

He kind of whispered to himself "Ah..it's been one of those mornings."

After getting his radio set up, he then adjusts his Infrared Distancing Binoculars and started to scan about for any movement anywhere around them in the skyline that could denote some sort of action moving in the direction of the transport.
(Surveillance Systems roll Successful)
The old man nods. "Thank you, major. Everyone, keep alert. We do not want any trouble today."
Folks, I apologize in advance - I don't mean to bring any negativity here. Maybe my strong ADHD symptoms are playing a part because I'm lost again. I can't figure out what Snowfall is supposed to be doing.

When I read this, I can't figure out what's going on. What is expected of me?

Which post did Sherwood ask for this Radio: Basic roll? (By the way, Snowfall doesn't have that Skill so he automatically fails it.) Where were we told to roll Surveillance? (Snowyl doesn't have that Skill either, so he's out there too.) If binoculars are being used, shouldn't this be a Perception roll? If so, are we supposed to be rolling that? If so, why hasn't Psychie rolled it and what object(s) outside the aircraft are we looking for in the first place?

Maybe I'm missing posts?

Same goes in Sherwood's UEEF game with C'osmo. I can't post there either for the same reasons.
Onni looks at the panel and points to each button having Pyrrah translate the language. Onni had seen his fair share of access panels and airlocks in his experience and he started to piece together what was what.

(Electrical Engineer 81% = Success)

"There is no power coming to this panel...but Lieutenant you mentioned something about a manual override note?"

There was a note on the panel regarding a manual override. Onni then popped a panel out of the wall with his tools and proceeded to look at where the various conduits went from the panel. Following one of the conduits he pointed to a large panel on the wall. "Ah there..."

He then look at C'osmo. "C'osmo, there is a manual override panel over on that wall, open it and pull the level, it may need a bit of force but that will shut the emergency doors."
I don't see a post anywhere concerning someone putting a note on this manual override. I'm clearly missing posts or something.

Psychie's character, Lt. Pyrrah mentions this note? Do you know when Psychie posted this? Her last post on my screen is #712. I can't find this note anywhere else in I.C. or O.O.C.. Are you guys posting stuff that I'm just not seeing? I've refreshed the pages in both games. No change.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong? Or is this happening to you guys too? If so, has anyone put in a ticket in with the Staff yet?

Back to the present here - here's what I think is happening (and as always, I am open to your feelings! So don't hold back!) - I join games in part because I understand the rules and what is expected of me. (Medical pros in my past refer to this as structure.) So... knowing these two things provides structure - good, reliable structure. I don't do well - thinking back, I have never done well in any game, tabletop or virtual - without it. Both Rifts Japan here and Robotech UEEF went from being games where I knew what was going on to the unhappy confusion in my spoiler above. That's where lack of structure gets me.

It's like we're all kiddos playing bouncy-ball in the kindergarten playground together and the rules are getting changed without anyone saying anything. What am I supposed to do when I get the ball? In Psychie's and Sherwood's games, I've known for years what to do. Right Now? This is me:
Zero Gravity Reaction GIF

This is why I haven't posted in either game recently. I've been trying to figure out what the problem is and bring it forward for fixing.

Eon, I think the world of you, dude - but I believe you are co-running both this Rifts game and our Robotech UEEF game. Maybe you don't realize that you're doing it, and I sure don't think you're doing this from any negative standpoint. But you're doing it again and - without structure - my brain can't keep up. Structure is why this Dannigan asks so many questions all of time - to remain well and grounded.

Example: In Onni's last post, as Onni, you direct C'osmo and inform him what he is to do. Not the Game Master - the PC - is doing the GMs job here without any word from the GM. This destroys the structure I need to play either game.

This brings me to my next point. Sherwood? In the end, I see this as a GM problem. In Rifts UEEF, you posted just this morning in a way that tells me that you're perfectly O.K. with this "co-GMing." Why? Because you wrote nothing to the contrary and you went along with it as if you had planned this from the start. I think if you're going to do that, that's fine! But brain-addled Dann here really could use an O.O.C. declaration stating your intent. Eon isn't running this game; you are. Aren't you?

Now, if you come out and declare everybody, "Hey! We're both running the game!" or "Other PCs can now create facts and data that I have no in way given my O.K. to," that's different. But I can't tell what you're doing.

I apologize for all of this confusion. I have lifelong hyperkinectivity/hyperactivity/ADHD-whatever-they're-calling-it-nowadays with constant and strong symptoms. This incurable condition has its benefits! Yeah, buddy! But it requires constant daily (sometimes hourly, sometimes even minute-to-minute) "maintenance." And it requires structure.

And without the structure I've enjoyed in your games for years, I don't know if I can continue here. I like and love you all and I really enjoy gaming in Sherwood's, but I need your help here please.

Adding to my confusion is this. Friends... I thought we already "slew this dragon" years ago! In Psychie's Robotech game, when she took on a Player that I wouldn't allow in my own games, that person tried hard to Co-GM without Psychie's permission (and try to turn it into Gundam) at every twist and turn. Unlike good Eon, they knew exactly what they were up to (and I called 'em on it too).

Here in our games, we "slew that dragon." And what'd we come away with? No Co-GMing without the GMs explicit permission! Right? Hooray! Structure!

And that's one huge reason I continue to play in every Psychie-run game I can reasonably fit in with. Thank you, Psychie! *throws cookies the Cookie Monster* (I realize I'm trying to end this post on a positive note so there's my try! Heh!)

EDIT: I deleted personal information I really didn't realize I'd added. I guess I was more confused than I thought. =)

Last edited:
Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

Damn, I like to write and add detail where there is not detail pertinent to my character. I like to write and tell a story. I do admit I like more rules lighter narrative style TTRPGs, which encourages more player improvisation. Clearly that style does not sit well with you, and I will try to adjust. We are all working together to write a story here, the last thing I want to do is control others characters, I just want interaction and working together as a team.

Going forward I am overstepping my bounds please tell me, and I will happily rewrite or redo whatever the cause.

I will go ahead and rewrite the last couple of entries for Onni and Ando.

With Onni’s latest scene he was just asking character to character to help with the reactivation of the system. Onni did say he thought he may need C’osmo’s help. I will rewrite it.

With Ando, i thought showing his interaction with his ex, daughter, and his symbiot would be a clever introduction of his character. I will rewrite this too.

Dann, you are very creative and fun and I am sorry our styles do not match up, I will do my best to try and accommodate.

Damn, I like to write and add detail where there is not detail pertinent to my character. I like to write and tell a story. I do admit I like more rules lighter narrative style TTRPGs, which encourages more player improvisation. Clearly that style does not sit well with you, and I will try to adjust. We are all working together to write a story here, the last thing I want to do is control others characters, I just want interaction and working together as a team.
Eonivar Eonivar Wait. So all of this is just... adding "detail where there is not detail pertinent to my character?" Eon, please don't go rewriting all that you've written if this is the case. It's your weekend - spend it having fun, buddy!

Just... maybe, in the future, run these details you want included past Sherwood first? Is that a compromise we can reach?

Man, I'm so confused here.

Purr Purr Eonivar Eonivar

Ok, after some pondering, I think that I understand some of what is going on, so let me try and address it.

First off, and let me stress this fact, I don't want to have either one of you guys drop out of this game or any of my other games. I consider you both to be friends, and I like the way both of you write your characters.

Now, I believe that the trouble is coming from the fact that Dann and I both have a very different GMing style. Dann, remember when in your game I had made a post where Luna was getting bumped around by nosy kobolds, and I added Powerpaw asking if she was done yet? You firmly but politely told me to please stop running your NPCs. I didn't think that what I had put in the post was out of line, but I backed off because I didn't want to step out of my boundaries as a player in your game. Your game, your rules.
I think that Eon was going for the same kind of thing, trying to use his own character knowledge to add features and color to his posts. For minor changes or introducing minor facts, this doesn't bother me as much as it clearly does for Dannigan, so long as I don't have a reason for something being the way it is.

So! How are we to resolve this so everyone is enjoying themselves in the games going forward? Eon, would you please rein in your desire to add extra color to a minimum? And Dannigan, would you please try to ease back and remember that you can also introduce minor facts to the scene without causing me any migraines? Feel free to add props to a stunt in combat every now and then, or add a feature to a scene that won't cause a major change.

If we all remember that we come from different backgrounds with different thoughts on how to run a game, but also remember that I am going to be the final word on what can be added, that I think will ease the level of stress that is being felt.

If we all remember that we come from different backgrounds with different thoughts on how to run a game, but also remember that I am going to be the final word on what can be added, that I think will ease the level of stress that is being felt.
Sherwood Sherwood That is precisely the perspective I began from. You haven't been the final word; that's part of the trouble. See below.

I think that Eon was going for the same kind of thing, trying to use his own character knowledge to add features and color to his posts. For minor changes or introducing minor facts, this doesn't bother me as much as it clearly does for Dannigan, so long as I don't have a reason for something being the way it is.
Sherwood Sherwood Yes. Eon stated as much. He said he wasn't going to do that prior to your request. I believe him and I appreciate him saying so.

As for stating if you had a problem with these details, well, you haven't stated otherwise. In fact, you've gone along with it. What is a Player to think?

Could you try to look at this from my perspective, please?

Look again:

Ando felt all of the sudden embarrassed and he quickly checked to made sure his radio earpiece had not fallen out, and then he checked the frequencies of his radio to make sure he was patched in to the ones his team had given him.

(Radio Basic Roll Failed)

He shook his head, as he realized that he did not even have his earpiece in and radio set up. So he quickly puts himself in order in doing so. Now he felt really out of place.

He kind of whispered to himself "Ah..it's been one of those mornings."

After getting his radio set up, he then adjusts his Infrared Distancing Binoculars and started to scan about for any movement anywhere around them in the skyline that could denote some sort of action moving in the direction of the transport.
(Surveillance Systems roll Successful)

Onni looks at the panel and points to each button having Pyrrah translate the language. Onni had seen his fair share of access panels and airlocks in his experience and he started to piece together what was what.

(Electrical Engineer 81% = Success)
Here's the trouble:
1. The PC is rolling Skills and determining whether or not the rolls are successful without waiting for any word from the Game Master. I don't remember you ever allowing this in the last 10 years. As of this weekend, it's not only allowed, but considered "minor" to you?

2. You are changing your expectations for Players without telling them until after the fact. This too is "minor?"

These "minor facts" are game-changers for me.

And Dannigan, would you please try to ease back and remember that you can also introduce minor facts to the scene without causing me any migraines?
You are asking me to play more like Eon's style of playing? Am I reading you right?

I have tried to "ease back" in previous games (remember when I played Cody "Wild Wolf" Loper? Why did I leave your game then? Do you recall? I sure do). What happens is I become so disconnected I end up leaving the game because... wait. I bet I'm using too many words.

Let me sum up: Eon said he wouldn't "Co-GM" any more. We're good with each other again. And that's wonderful! As far as I'm concerned, case closed there.

I didn't realize your expectations of your PCs had changed so. I don't understand. I wish you had said you wanted all this when you put this game together, but who can turn back the clock, right?

Your expectations of your Players have changed; I am left wondering if my way of gaming will fit anymore. I need your help to find out.

If you think I am misunderstanding, please tell me where I have misunderstood?

Purr Purr

I just have to say that I don't entirely agree with your point of view, but as your friend, I can still respect you and your willingness to step out on a limb and talk about it.

I don't want you to try and change your style of playing, since I love your current style and how your hyperactive mind works, seeing issues and finding solutions in ways that I had not considered before. I just don't completely agree with how you are reading the way that Eon is trying to post. Of course, I may be totally wrong, but what I see is that he is trying to speed things along by adding in rolls in preparation for a storyteller asking for it. I have done the same in other games, posting a stealth roll to go with my description of a character trying to move silently, or I'm keeping my eyes open and looking for something, so I add a Perception roll. I don't see that it is stepping out of my bounds as a player, venturing into the realm of Storyteller turf.

Yes, there are times that I will apply negative or positive modifiers to a roll, but when Eon posted for his character in the Rifts Japan game that he didn't have an earpiece in with his failed roll, I was fine with that. The post he made in the Robotech game describing the power relay and asking C'osmo to throw a switch was a little over what I would have done myself, but there was no damage done since you guys had made the needed rolls to reroute power to pressurize the chamber.

The issues that have sparked this conversation have been addressed, and with any luck, we won't be having this chat again. I hope that there is no lasting issues over this.

Hey Bud and everyone! =)

Purr Purr

I just have to say that I don't entirely agree with your point of view, but as your friend, I can still respect you and your willingness to step out on a limb and talk about it.
No problem! I never expect you or anyone to agree with my every word. Barf, right?

Thank you for being true about it. Friends don't always agree, but as long as they have love, respect, and an honest desire to understand one another, it continues! Always has, always will. =)

I don't want you to try and change your style of playing, since I love your current style and how your hyperactive mind works, seeing issues and finding solutions in ways that I had not considered before.
Thanks again! That helps (specifically, with my structure).

To f"ind a solution to what you have not considered before" is, in part, what I've been trying to do here recently. I'll just come out and say it - the third reason I'm bringing all this is up is - I have seen games crash, sink, and burn permanently in Real Life because they had no answer to the question I ask later on in this post.

I just don't completely agree with how you are reading the way that Eon is trying to post. Of course, I may be totally wrong, but what I see is that he is trying to speed things along by adding in rolls in preparation for a storyteller asking for it. I have done the same in other games, posting a stealth roll to go with my description of a character trying to move silently, or I'm keeping my eyes open and looking for something, so I add a Perception roll. I don't see that it is stepping out of my bounds as a player, venturing into the realm of Storyteller turf.
Absolutely! You've done this for years - and you don't see me having any troubles with those games, right? =) Why? Because that's where you've stopped - at that crucial moment where you've stopped and asked, "Hey, GM! Did my character succeed or not?"

Now, in Psychie's Exalted games, she has provided ample implications that she seems not to mind that Players do this. Great! Once again, you don't see me having these troubles in her game, right? =)

In both instances, I know what to expect! And I need that to play! To coin a phrase you've use, '"does that make sense?" =)

Yes, there are times that I will apply negative or positive modifiers to a roll, but when Eon posted for his character in the Rifts Japan game that he didn't have an earpiece in with his failed roll, I was fine with that. The post he made in the Robotech game describing the power relay and asking C'osmo to throw a switch was a little over what I would have done myself, but there was no damage done since you guys had made the needed rolls to reroute power to pressurize the chamber.
Again, I agree. No damage done then. I wholeheartedly agree with your statements (besides my becoming totally confused - that's on me my blasted brain and I'm sorry about that). It's... down the line I'm worried about.

With my own two eyes, I have seen games become arguments and arguments become divisions in Real Life over this. I am, in part, trying to spare you and everybody here that pain, my dear Sherwood! To put it bluntly, it was bad! Every single time it happened. And I never want to see it again. =)

So! Please give me a straight answer to this one question: Sherwood Sherwood Are you allowing Players to determine if their Characters actions are successful without any reply from you?

Please don't overthink this. "Yes," "no," or "it depends" is fine or whatever answer you feel is best - but no answer at all and I'm screwed, Bud.

I'm not going through this again here on RP Nation if I can avoid it. And if I see other people headed toward that particular minefield, I'll try my best to warn them too. You included! You're my oldest Bud! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

P.S. If anyone wants the sorry details into this serious potential game-killing minefield I'm referring to, feel free to ask me in Conversation (which is probably where I should have asked all this from the get-go). Otherwise, let's Game On!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back