• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I'm kindof in the same boat as silanon, at best the most i could do is make a online liner post about stoping my truck and waiting for them to scout ahead

I'm in Silanon's boat. Sherwood, as far as I know, my character sees and smells nothing amiss. What would you like me to post about?

Well, if no one is going to post IC, I'll have Terra steer us away from the (potential) encounter and keep on going.

After all, I did call out on the radio that we all have that I smell something out there, and I did call for our scouts on the motorcycle to give some info.

I did call for our scouts on the motorcycle to give some info.

You certainly did - problem is that I have nothing to share with her. Of course, I can post "Saw nothing - you, Kimberly?" but that just ain't gonna cut it in terms of advancing the plot - might as well just wait for Pips to find time to respond directly.

Silanon, given the crazy month of December, I don't know how long that would slow our game down. Besides that, Pips is not a fan of us stalling the game for her.

Unless we have other information to go on, I recommend we follow Psychie's lead. That, at least, we'll keep the game moving. =)

Sure, I can see that - not too happy with how things will play out that way, though. Basically meant to justify why I (one of the scouts she called) did not response: The way the rolls worked out, Kimberly is the only one who can meaningfully interact with Psychie's post, despite her trying to get us involved. Or maybe I'm just not seeing how to get a decent post up here, I tried several times. That sucks. I want to give her a proper response and move things forward, I just bloody can't. That's why I'm frustrated with the situation; I'd prefer a solution where we can continue without Terra pulling us forward on her own.

Here's what we're going to do. Since it was announced IC that there was something to look into, Silanon Silanon you get another Perception roll at +3. Purr Purr , you can also roll again, too.

Works for me! =)

Edit: 14! I'm happy because that beats my earlier 10. =)

Edit #2: Scratch that! I reread Sherwood's post; the +3 seems to apply to Silanon only. I rolled an 11. =)

Works for me! =)

Edit: 14! I'm happy because that beats my earlier 10. =)

Edit #2: Scratch that! I reread Sherwood's post; the +3 seems to apply to Silanon only. I rolled an 11. =)
With that roll, you would notice the smoke smell coming from up ahead. It is not like its a forest fire; instead it's more along the lines of a few campfires that the wind is just in the right direction to blow the smell your way.

Sounds like a good way to go about it - until I miserably fail my check, that is. Thanks for the second chance!

Edit: Wow.

Sounds like a good way to go about it - until I miserably fail my check, that is. Thanks for the second chance!

Edit: Wow.
I guess so! Now that you are focused on looking about, you notice not only the smoky smell, but you can hear indistinct voices up ahead. Not well enough to make out any words or even what language it is, but there are beings up ahead.

I am also considering some kind of bonus system for die rolls. In the game of Exalted, if you describe your action in more detail than just "I stab him" you get a bonus to your roll. I'm thinking of allowing something like this in here, allowing a well worded post to give you a bonus to whatever roll it is you are making. This would apply to both combat rolls as well as OOC rolls. I just need to lock down the level of the bonus that would be awarded.

First off, thanks for giving a chance to reroll the Perception check.

Second, Silanon great roll! Awesome!

Third, Sherwood, what are you pondering for the bonus to be? Are you thinking of a fixed bonus, or a random roll to see what kind of bonus? Kinda like the Action Points we have in Dannigan's games?

At the moment, I'm thinking of a fixed bonus to a roll, something along the lines of a +2 to a combat roll, and a +5% to a Skill roll. It is still a work in progress, and I want to make sure that I don't screw up the proper game balance.

Well, this is certainly more than I hoped for - working on a post now.

I like the general idea of a bonus system, though I usually find it hard to say when exactly a post is "detailed" in the required sense. We all write differently, after all, and I wouldn't like a solution where someone constantly says: Damn, I didn't get a bonus again despite trying my best?

That is something that I am also trying to balance out. As I said, this is not a done deal, but it is an idea to be able to reward you guys for good role playing.

Perhaps you can go with a set of bonus points that we get with each level, and we as players decide when we want to spend them for a bonus. More credit to be given to Dannigan for having just this kind of system in his games that I'm in.

Silanon, in Exalted and Scions, that rule mainly appears to add motivation for more exciting posts, better drama, and overall a better gaming experience. I feel if one is writing purely for the bonus, they're missing the point.

If it were my rule, I would definitely take into account each player's respective writing abilities. Some folks, for example, are terrific speakers and play tabletop well, but their writing skills could use polishing. Other folks have English as a second language or have something wrong with their brain like me, etc.

I can't argue with the end result - one of my longtime players, Captain Hesperus, writes delightful, heartfelt, and memorable posts in part because of his background playing Exalted!

Rule or no rule, if anyone wants tips on writing, let me know and I'll try to help?

Sherwood Sherwood I almost forgot. Thanks for the second Perception roll! That is a neat and simple solution to this problem. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Re: Action Points. Action Points are in no way my invention! I believe I used, with minor alterations, this page from d20SRD.org. Action Points are open-license. =)

Ah, yes. Now I remember you mentioning that. I just didn't want to be guilty of stealing an idea from you.

The Action Point method might just be the best way to give everyone a bonus that's available to you and put the power of the bonus in the hands of the player.

It does, at the cost of a little more dice-rolling. A small price to pay if you ask me.

Sherwood, thank you for your thoughtfulness concerning my ideas. I have them all the time and it is very nice when people respect what one has created.

Psychie, Sherwood, thanks for your kind words; they touch my heart. =)

I would definitely take into account each player's respective writing abilities.
This is what I mostly had in mind - I meant it not in the way of "I'll write for the bonus", more like "this is an awesome post, given my abilities, why didn't I get a bonus?" Basically: I just don't want a rule where someone might get disappointed without a reason; but since Sherwood has that already in mind, there's not much more to add.

Also:
Rule or no rule, if anyone wants tips on writing, let me know and I'll try to help?
I'd happily take any advice if someone offers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back