• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Hooray! Three whole years of Rifts Sherwood style! Woo!

Alert! Alert! Incoming rant! You haz been warnded!

/Rant on

When it comes to martial arts, I think it depends on several factors - the background and experience of the Game Master, what they want out of their game and its Characters while taking in mind what the spirit of the game rules allows and why. I imagine sticking with hand to hand in its most basic forms is attractive for the new Game Master or one with no martial arts experience. This probably leads to Palladium games where the hand to hand Skills do indeed overlap - if you have Hand to Hand: Expert, you are considered to be more than proficient in Hand to Hand: Basic, and at least your Character has some hand to hand Skills where the vast majority of humankind certainly does not.

In a few Palladium games, you can have more than one martial art system and it is encouraged to do so depending on your Character Class. Erick Wujick's phenomenal Ninjas & Superspies is, I feel, the best example followed closely by Mystic China (also by Wujick who was a self-admitted martial arts geek while himself not a martial artist). Rifts is clearly a good choice if everyone involved is open and willing to see it happen. But if not, game on! =)

I guess what I'm getting at is this - there are many ways to come at this particular issue of selecting a single system for a Character and overlapping is certainly easiest. Were we playing a martial arts-heavy game, I'd recommend trying out Hand to Hand: Kendo when WlfSamurai's Character was armed and Hand to Hand: Martial Arts when they were not (again, if the Character has that kind of background and extensive training).

One more thing and this is purely a personal opinion. The one thing I'm really shaking my head at is the addition of Japanese martial art systems to Cyber-knights. This was happening too much even when I was running Rifts. Why go Japanese? Simple. It has the best "numbers" and advantages. Even with non-Cyber-Knights, why did even my Tattooed Slayer, Gradicus, a born True Atlantean go with Zanji Shinjinken Ryu (kendo's bigger, older, and much-badder brother and who can say no to that killer technique, Combination Grab/Slash? Oooh!) instead of, say, Western fencing? Because as far as I can tell, Western fencing in Palladium just sucks. I think there is some mention of it in one of the many Rifter books?

Having looked through one of those issues years ago, and becoming unsatisfied with the article-writer's version of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, I made my own (2.0) which I use in my own game and I've seen Sherwood borrow in at least one of his Robotech games here on RP Nation. The lack of real Western fencing, as a system and not just a Skill, bothers me. Someday, I may sit down, do some serious research into fencing (for I've always enjoyed Western fencing in movies like The Princess Bride and Jose Ferrer's magnificent movie performance as Cyrano de Bergerac!) and write it out. But as it stands, no one in my own Palladium game has an interest so maybe not.

/rant off

Hooray! Three whole years of Rifts Sherwood style! Woo!

Alert! Alert! Incoming rant! You haz been warnded!

/Rant on

When it comes to martial arts, I think it depends on several factors - the background and experience of the Game Master, what they want out of their game and its Characters while taking in mind what the spirit of the game rules allows and why. I imagine sticking with hand to hand in its most basic forms is attractive for the new Game Master or one with no martial arts experience. This probably leads to Palladium games where the hand to hand Skills do indeed overlap - if you have Hand to Hand: Expert, you are considered to be more than proficient in Hand to Hand: Basic, and at least your Character has some hand to hand Skills where the vast majority of humankind certainly does not.

In a few Palladium games, you can have more than one martial art system and it is encouraged to do so depending on your Character Class. Erick Wujick's phenomenal Ninjas & Superspies is, I feel, the best example followed closely by Mystic China (also by Wujick who was a self-admitted martial arts geek while himself not a martial artist). Rifts is clearly a good choice if everyone involved is open and willing to see it happen. But if not, game on! =)

I guess what I'm getting at is this - there are many ways to come at this particular issue of selecting a single system for a Character and overlapping is certainly easiest. Were we playing a martial arts-heavy game, I'd recommend trying out Hand to Hand: Kendo when WlfSamurai's Character was armed and Hand to Hand: Martial Arts when they were not (again, if the Character has that kind of background and extensive training).

One more thing and this is purely a personal opinion. The one thing I'm really shaking my head at is the addition of Japanese martial art systems to Cyber-knights. This was happening too much even when I was running Rifts. Why go Japanese? Simple. It has the best "numbers" and advantages. Even with non-Cyber-Knights, why did even my Tattooed Slayer, Gradicus, a born True Atlantean go with Zanji Shinjinken Ryu (kendo's bigger, older, and much-badder brother and who can say no to that killer technique, Combination Grab/Slash? Oooh!) instead of, say, Western fencing? Because as far as I can tell, Western fencing in Palladium just sucks. I think there is some mention of it in one of the many Rifter books?

Having looked through one of those issues years ago, and becoming unsatisfied with the article-writer's version of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, I made my own (2.0) which I use in my own game and I've seen Sherwood borrow in at least one of his Robotech games here on RP Nation. The lack of real Western fencing, as a system and not just a Skill, bothers me. Someday, I may sit down, do some serious research into fencing (for I've always enjoyed Western fencing in movies like The Princess Bride and Jose Ferrer's magnificent movie performance as Cyrano de Bergerac!) and write it out. But as it stands, no one in my own Palladium game has an interest so maybe not.

/rant off
Yeah, for my part, Cyber-Knight reads like a Western Samurai (which is a knight... LOL). Kendo was the only one that pointed in a similar direction as the real thing DOES contain Katana training. So, it just fit together like a puzzle in my head.

But, you're right. Now that you mention it, I hadn't (consciously) realized there isn't a Western fencing option. I think I would have just as easily fit the Western fencing styles into the same puzzle...hole?

Well said, though.

The Kitsune's reply as his silver chopsticks reach for a dumpling is casual. "That assumes melee is an option. If crossing a barrier, entering a vehicle, or some other movement would chance setting off an alarm, I'm better off not trying at all - remember, I'm not the heavy hitter other people in this team are!" Snowfall winks at Miss Terra as he indicates the Atlantean and Eron.

"And besides, sneaking up on somebody close enough to stab them is definitely more difficult than sneaking up into rifle range and sniping them. Mystic Healer? I've got you covered. Tai Chi Master? I'm your fuzzball. But ninja? I'd leave that to the, er, turtles as it were." Snowfall grins. "I'm much more comfortable with a ranged energy rifle that can knock a typical baka down with a well-placed shot. I think it's a fox thing. My people let the wolves, tigers, dragons, and Atlanteans, and do all of the fussy melee stuff."

"You know? I really think we could use another strong melee-capable person in the team should we ever come across another. I'm happy hiding behind your big boys than being upfront any day!"
Psychie Psychie Hey lady! Just a little friendly OOC background for you here. I made Snowfall as a non-melee guy, a fox instead of a tiger because with Gradicus, I was getting bored of playing "tigers.' Gradicus in melee? He's hell on wheels. Give him Smoochie and his other tattoos and those wheels get a lot bigger, rolling over the baddies as well as a former True Atlantean gladiator of the Splugorth Arena of Champions and student of Rifts Japan's New Empire with training under true samurai can.

Snowfall is by design a "whole 'nother story." I wanted to play this wise, well-traveled mystic and support guy who didn't (maybe couldn't) rely on melee and martial arts to win all of his battles. Not a predator, but a prey animal. So Snowfall sticks to his Kitsune abilities, his tattoo magic, his vast experience across the Megaverse, his own foxy cunning and quickness, and now perhaps his new Netrunning skills (his percentages aren't great at the moment, so he won't be relying on that though; it's something to work on). If I made Snowfall strong in hand to hand combat, able to go toe-to-toe with the big girls and boys like Terra's kids, maybe Snowfall wouldn't be so much of a fox anymore. I think he would turn into something else. And that's not what I want.

Not like you're asking for that or anything! I know you as a buddy and fellow PC just want me to play who I'm happy with. Maybe that's why I'm typing this - to smile and say that I am. =)

Sherwood Sherwood Hey Sherwood? Could you recommend any silent sniper-type energy weapons that provide big bangs for the buck? Perhaps the existing weapons with modifications?

What would you be going for if you were looking for such, and what do you feel comfortable with in
-game?

Sherwood Sherwood Hey Sherwood? Could you recommend any silent sniper-type energy weapons that provide big bangs for the buck? Perhaps the existing weapons with modifications?

What would you be going for if you were looking for such, and what do you feel comfortable with in
-game?
To be honest, I am not familiar with any particular weapon in the Rifts/Palladium universe that is silenced like that. I makes sense that there should be something, either in MDC laser or projectile weapon, that would fit the bill. I will do some searching over the next few days and see what I can find/come up with.

To be clear - Snowfall is definitely not looking for a projectile weapon because that will take up a Skill slot he does not have. At 7th level, I don't expect him to get many more. In fact, I feel lucky to have the ones he's got.

As for a silenced energy weapon of some kind, maybe he could get something custom-made? This is Rifts; when in doubt, invent it, I say.

Lasers don't make any sound in Rifts, but they don't do serious damage and there are a number of armor types out there that are laser-resistant. That's enough to make me avoid lasers altogether.

But what about a particle beam weapon? Something that hits like a hammer, but with short range. Or maybe ion (which is more energy efficient)?

Hey. What if there was some kind of energy-refracting suppression device that would muffle the sound but keep or even alter the energy so that the beam doesn't give up quite as much light? That's the best part about shooting suppressed ammunition through a suppressed projectile weapon. Done right, no one detects it - not even the target.

Concerning light, I think I'm talking about the difference between energy weapons from the Terminator series and Star Wars; take away the sound and the latter is definitely better. At least in my opinion.

Hmm. That might be worth it.

If this were created, then one wouldn't need an entirely new gun. You could just screw that on a threaded barrel and right there, it's done without having to use different ammunition or anything as is the case when you're using projectile weapons. You have to thread the barrel on the weapon you wanted which isn't that much as big deal and add the energy suppressor.

Boom-done.

Huh! I think I will use this in Robotech: Broadsword. What do you think of the idea here, bud? Sherwood Sherwood

Okay. I have all my skills chosen. I just need to calculate the bonuses. Then, select my powers and tattoos, which shoulnd’t take long at all.

After a bit of pondering, I am going to introduce an energy weapon silencer as a optional add-on to a pistol or rifle. The effect of the silencer will reduce the range of the weapon it is attached to by 50%, but will not affect any damage done by the weapon or its payload. The silencer cost is going to be 50,000 for a pistol, and 75,000 for a rifle, and they will work with their own micro power cell that has enough charge to last for 20 shots before it needs to be replaced with a new power cell.

Just keep in mind that this is a sound suppressor, and does not completely eliminate the emitted sound of the weapon, even if it does greatly reduce the effect of the weapon's sound signature.

Hmm! An energy suppressor that takes energy to operate. There's a twist I didn't see coming.

Thanks for having my idea in here, Sherwood! I like contributing! =)

Eeerrrr, fellas? Fellers? I just had me one really odd thought. Since Rykon is no longer playing with us, uh, what happens to that shape-shifting Runesword?

Can one of Terra's kids use it?

You mean the intelligent runesword - Eron grabbed the shape-shifting one unless I messed up at some point.

Eron only has two hands, so if the automatons or our Cyber knight can make use of it, that'd be great. Wouldn't sell it, personally.

Likewise! We busted our tails for those beauties! =)

Hey Sherwood Sherwood ? Would you take a look at this and tell me whatcha think (or anyone for that matter)? I'm bored tonight (big surprise!) and if you're bored too, here are some curiosities I figured I'd see how you felt about (not only for the sake of conversation but for the rest of the party if perhaps they might benefit from any of these ideas too)?

Some of my questions here have notes to myself that I figured I'd share because that's what RPing is all about! There are items below I'd like to find and purchase. I want to see if you as our GM are O.K. with them and, if so, I'll have Snowfall ask about them in-game. And if not, no biggie. =) So... 10 questions for Sherwood begins now! =)

1. Are these scope combinations okay to purchase?
Optics (Game Master Guide, page 180)
1. Laser Targeting (+3 to Strike) 2,000 credits.
2. Telescopic Scope (looking for 6,000 foot range). 1,000 credits.
3. Thermo-Imager (2,000 foot range). 12,000 credits.
4. Passive night-vision (starlight scope-style, 2,000 foot range, in case others want to use it). 6,000 credits.
(Total: 21,000 credits. Purchase 3 such scopes?)

2. Does Moloch have the NG-P7 Northern Gun Particle beam rifle for 22k? (Game Master Guide, page 158. Single-shot which allows for Called Shots, needs suppressor, with suppressor, 600 foot range). Suppressor adds 75,000 credits to the total.

3. How about a J-12 Laser Rifle (Game Masters Guide, page 145. Laser weapon; renders suppressor moot, but does bursts for best damage which can't be used for Called Shots. Incredible range, damage, and payload for a laser rifle. And come to think of it, how much of the Coalition Army uses laser-resistant material? Besides Free Quebec's Glitter Boys, I can't think of any and I don't know if Free Quebec is still loyal in Sherwood's timeline?).

4. Is Free Quebec still allied to the Coalition States in your game?

5. How much is Moloch charging for Long E-clips? (Buy lots of Long E-clips for both weapons if they're available).

6. Is there such thing as an E-Clip generator/restorer we could buy? Maybe something Snowfall could purchase and add to the Badger if Terra liked the idea? It would save us trips to town to reload E-clips.

7. Concerning the damage-increasing crystals you introduced to the game years ago - I remember Gradicus buying some for his swords. Are the crystals usable only for rune weapons?

8. If they are usable for rune weapons, what happens if they're added to a ranged rune weapon like the Dragon Rod?

9. Besides the Dragon Rod, I can't find any other energy-based ranged rune weapons that fall under W.P. Energy Rifle. Do you know of any? Does Moloch sell them?

10. Could Snowfall attach the Fraggle Rock Sword Fragarach sword to his Dragon Rod perhaps as a bayonet?

How useful would Psychic Surgery be to the group? Was thinking it would be cool to work with people outside our group to help people who are in need of medical attention.

I honestly don't know. Snowfall started the game as a Chi master (think Ninjas & Superspies; able to) and as long as I've had him around, I think his ability to heal/aid in that capacity has come up once? Who knows what the future will hold, though.

Well, Eron comes with a regeneration ability for himself if he ever gets hit hard (don't think he needed it yet).
That said, if you have the slot to pick it up, it's one of those things that can make a huge difference if we need to save someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back