• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Snowfall takes in the frosty wasteland with awe. The South Pole! The most inhospitable and coldest place on the planet Earth and here they were! In the very center too!

If the Kitsune were more scientifically oriented and had more of a knowledge of this area, he might conclude that they were looking at the Admunsen-Scott research station or perhaps what was left of it.

"A moment before we proceed?" Snowfalk requests. He takes out his Atlantean Crystal Eye and peers through it.

"The more we learn from afar, the more we might be prepared when we get there."

Crystal Eye - spyglass with x20 magnification using mental or spoken command - 0 P.P.E.

Zooming in, Snowfall can get a bit of detail on the scattered structure. There is one large building flanked by three smaller ones, all about halfway buried under the snow and they are clearly showing their age as they are falling apart. An ancient propeller-powered aircraft is slowly disintegrating away, far from being airworthy, sitting on one side of the buildings and also partly buried under the snow and ice.

The larger structure is a two-story building, partly falling down, but from what you can see, the lower ground floor might still be pretty much intact. It is easily a hundred feet long by fifty feet wide, with no windows visible, just one large door on this side that is partly busted in.

There is no sign of movement or life of any kind.

"Time has come here in a big way. I see old structures - one big one with two stories. Three smaller structures behind it. An old air-machine too." Snowfall adjusts the crystal eye. "From this angle, there is only one way in - a large door partially broken. This place has had visitors but I see none here now." The Celestial Messenger puts away his Atlantean magical device and moves forward when Miss Terra does.

Terra gives Snowfall and Zephiron a thumbs-up and says, "Well, Athena isn't getting any better while we stand here. Lets go get that spear piece!" She lifts off from the ice and heads towards the structure.
Base MDC: 390 - +10 per level, +13 per tattoo
Invulnerability MDC: 675
PPE: 264 - +10 per level, +6 per tattoo / 179
Power Matrix: 90 PPE
PPE Battery: 50
PPE Battery: 100
Bonus Points: 10

Number of Attacks: 7 (8 Attacks vs Vampires/Undead or Demons/Supernatural Evil)
Strike: +13 (+19 with rune blade)
Parry: +11 (Only +9 vs ranged attacks with the rune shield)
Dodge: +10
Roll: +11
Save vs. Magic: +1
Initiative: +7
Perception: +6, +9 vs Vampires and the Undead
Horror Factor: +9 to Save, +11 vs dragons
Critical Strike on a natural 19-20
Critical Strike from behind
Damage: +3
Death Blow on a natural 19-20

Snowfall speeds off with the team. "Agreed!"

Then his mind gets to wandering. "This... this is the South Pole. The... 'bottom' of planet Earth by global standards. On a giant globe, who gets to decide where the very bottom is? I mean... if it were me... I'd choose New York City in the former United States to be the very bottom! You ever seen that place? There's nothing top about it!

"Um. Okay. Except for the pizza. Nobody beats a New York pizza. But you see what I'm getting at, right?!"

The Office Pizza GIF by Danny Chang

OOC: By the way, Sbarro is a chain of pizza stores outdone easily by the likes of Pizza Hut. My style of pizza? See below!

Hungry New York GIF by 8it

OOC: Om nom nom nom!

"Maybe after we get the first piece... of godly weapon that is... we could... mebbe take a little detour and get Athena-sama a slice or three?" Snowfall gets that grin on his face foxes get when something really pleases them:

Happy Fox GIF

"Magnets and rotation." Zephiron responded stoically in response to Snowfall's first question. "According to a book I skimmed once, it was agreed to use both magnetic concentrations at the opposite ends of this world and the rotational axis as 'top and bottom' I believe. Since both were roughly in the same spot anyway. As for how they decided which one was top and bottom, I suppose that was the magnets thing. Don't ask me how they work. I like the mystical feeling of wielding lightning and all those mortal theories might ruin the novelty of such a cathartic exercise of power."

He raised a claw finger to his chin to ponder the fox's other comment, stomach grumbling in protest. "Pizza... I only vaguely remember this New York variant. I prefer Chicago but wouldn't put it at the top or bottom. They say it was a bit of a crossroad in spirit. So by the pizza standard, I say it should be the center of the world." The regal hatchling affirmed with a nod as he followed Terra toward the half-buried ruin. "Hmmm... Morrolan, do you remember who made that tantalizing pizza? Was it you or someone else?"

He raised a claw finger to his chin to ponder the fox's other comment, stomach grumbling in protest. "Pizza... I only vaguely remember this New York variant. I prefer Chicago but wouldn't put it at the top or bottom. They say it was a bit of a crossroad in spirit. So by the pizza standard, I say it should be the center of the world." The regal hatchling affirmed with a nod as he followed Terra toward the half-buried ruin. "Hmmm... Morrolan, do you remember who made that tantalizing pizza? Was it you or someone else?"
Morrolan lets out a bark of laughter as he says, "You do not want me to try and cook for you, unless you wish on a quick and painful death as your insides feel like they are about to tear their way out of you. Needless to say, I am not a cook, as can be testified to by several of my past adventuring companions. I leave that particular skillset to others." He quickly casts a spell and a pair of wings appear on his back, giving him the freedom to be able to keep up with the rest of the party.

As you approach the partly opened door, it is silent except for the sound of the wind blowing through the slats of the few buildings that are still standing. Half of the door stands open, and the other half is frozen shut and partly buried under the snow. Unless you do some digging, it is only wide enough to allow one person through at a time.

Who will go through first?

Terra eyes the door with caution, listening carefully for any sign of something living inside waiting for them. Upon hearing nothing, she steps forward, saying, "I will go in first. Everyone, be careful in here."
PPE: 264 - +10 per level, +6 per tattoo / 179

Snowfall silently nods. He unslings his JA-12 laser rifle with the energy suppressor on it and is ready to back her up.

Inside the ruined building, it almost feels colder than outside if that makes any sense. Thankfully you are all well protected against the harsh tempurature inside the building, or else you'd be shivering in your boots. It is dark, with no lights inside at all, so once you are a few feet inside the hall, the visibility really drops down unless you have your own illumination working.

Snow and ice cover the floor, making any walking somewhat slippery and awkward.

As they slowly start their way into the icy corridor, Terra holds out her hand and a glowing lantern light appears that the Atlantean sets hovering just above and behind her head, set bright enough to illuminate the area around them. With that done, she continues to advance, keeping a close watch out for any signs of trouble.
Spending 1 PPE to cast Lantern Light.

PPE: 264 - +10 per level, +6 per tattoo / 178

Snowfall slips on his multi-optics helm and uses the thermograph function first. Anything that isn't the same temperature of the room should stand out to its powerful sensor. He moves slowly and quietly, sniffing and listening for any signs of danger like the prey creature that he is.

Zeph steals a page from Snowfall's book using metamorphosis to assume the shape of an arctic fox in its luxurious winter coat. He casually plodded forward, ears flicking to and fro to leverage the predator shape's natural prey radar as a danger sense to compliment his psionic power's lingering effect. Might as well embrace his status as an invasive species and transgress upon the south pole with the shape of a north pole hunter.

Snowfall cannot help but let out a small and excited "yip!" at Zeph's choice of physical form!

Happy Bbc Earth GIF by BBC America

Slowly moving forward with Terra's Lantern Light providing illumination, our intrepid foursome makes their way into the frozen vault. There is no sign of life here, with no footprints in the little bit of snow and ice that has blown into the place; at least, no footprints here besides your own.

One thing that you do quickly discover with the aid of the thermal vision is that there is a heat bloom in one of the rooms, providing for a touch of warmer air that is flowing out into the hallway, melting the ice on the floor around the entrance of the room. Moving with caution, you see that the source of the heat is a large hole that is easily six feet across in the floor that drops down out of sight, far too deep for your light source to show the bottom.

As you look about the room, you can see that the hole appears to have been smashed out, from underneath, not down into the floor from inside the room. There is also old, dried blood on the floor around the hole, showing that there was violence done here sometime in the past.

Terra looks at the open pit and lets out a small sigh. At least we can all fly; no issues there. I just wonder what is down there that might be waiting for us? With her runeblade still in hand, she drifts over towards the pit slowly, fully expecting that there might be something coming up and out at them at any moment.

Assuming that there is nothing that does so, she hovers over the hole and carefully peaks over to try and get a glimpse of what's down there.
Lantern Light spell active.

The hole descends down out of sight into the darkness, with nothing there in view. Using the thermovision of the helmet, you can see that there is a fairly substantive heat source down in the darkness somewhere below you. It drops down at least a hundred feet.

Terra reports to the others, "I don't see the bottom of the hole; it drops down out of sight. I suppose we have little choice other than to bite the bullet and go into the pit and see where it leads us. If no one has any other ideas, I'll take point and start out on down."

Rykon Rykon Purr Purr

Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

'Star Ocean The Second Story Ost - White the Heart Extended"

Snowfall stares down into the gloom with his multi-optics helmet. "Something is hot down there but I can't tell what it is. I'll be right behind you, Miss Terra!" whispers Snowfall. "Come on, Zeph!"

The foxiest of Terra's Terminators swishes his tail before hopping up and hovering in place thanks to the unreal powers of his Atlantean Blazing Comet Tattoo. A heat source in a place where no heat should be? What could it be?

Last edited:
With a nod towards Snowfall, Zeph and Morrolan, Terra drifts over the opening and slowly lowers herself down the hole with the light of her magic lantern above and behind her to keep the glare of the light out of her eyes.

As the group slowly slips down the tunnel, you eventually come to a rocky opening in the rock and ice that is fairly large; easily a hundred feet wide by fifty feet long and fifty feet high, with rough walls and flooring that will make for some unstable footing for anyone fighting on the ground. A quick look around the chamber shows that there is another tunnel leading out of here that is a rough circle about ten feet around.

There is a single other thing of interest in here: a large fuzzy creature sitting on a rock. It looks like what you might picture one of the abominable snowmen or yeti from ancient history and myth. If it were standing upright, it might be ten to twelve feet tall with large wicked claws and teeth. At the moment, it is chewing on a bone of some unfortunate creature that came across it. When the group descends into the chamber, it immediately throws the bone aside and rises to its feet with a loud growl.

Psychie Psychie The piece of the spear that you have in your possession seems to tug at the creature, indicating that the next piece of the spear you seek is either on the yeti or behind it somewhere.

Rykon Rykon Purr Purr Silanon Silanon

"Yeeks!" Snowfall, being the prey-spirit that he is, immediately and instinctively flies to put some kind of cover or concealment between himself and this huge icy predator. "Now that'sa lotta bad guy!"

The mystic Tattooed Voyager searches his memory. What does he know about... yeti?

Zephiron gives a low quiet hum of consideration then whispers to his companions, "Should I hit it with stun breath? No need to hurt it if we don't have to."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back