• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
As everyone is picking out their gift from the god, the grumpy blacksmith looks over at Eron with a critical eye. "You! Come here. Let me see what is on the back of your neck." He rises from his seat and eyes the lumpy symbiote that is attached to the base of your neck with a grunt. "That is a problem. It will get in the way of any armor I have here. If you wish a suit of armor, I will have to take a few days to make it custom for you, so that lump of flesh on your neck won't get in the way. Might take me . . . three to four days, depending on what style of armor you are looking for. There is just nothing that I have here that will fit over that thing on your neck."

Apollo lets out a sigh. "I hope that this won't make a critical difference, but in order to face off against the foes you are about to encounter, every bit of protection will be critical. As for the rest of you, how do you wish to proceed? Every delay brings Athena closer to her final day, and the world will be lessened greatly if she passes from it, and that cannot be. What do you see as your next move?"

Rykon Rykon Purr Purr Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon

Terra is still on an emotional high as she looks at the beauty of the god-forged shield in her hand. She says, "Well, we need to decide where we're going, and get some intel on what we're walking into. I for one don't want to put my neck on the line any more than I have to. We need to pick out our target, then do some sneak and peek to look around to see what kind of opposition we are dealing with. Even with our new stuff we are not invulnerable."

She ponders for a moment, then says, "I've not been a wide-ranging world traveler, keeping mostly to the North American continent. All these trips around the globe will be to new territory for me. Snowfall, you've done the most traveling of all of us, and you are Chinese to boot. What can you tell us of China in this age? What can we expect when we show up there?"

Snowfall, you've done the most traveling of all of us, and you are Chinese to boot.
Psychie Psychie "AAIIEE!" Snowfall gasps recoils back clutching his heart in mock shock, his eyes wide and mouth agape. "Chi- Chinese?! I'm JAPANESE, Miss Terra!"

He felt all of this was his own fault - for choosing things like Tai Chi Ch'uan, a Chinese martial system, instead of something Japanese and traditional (even though he was no good at Aikido, Zanji Shinjinken Ryu, or even Judo! And what a hilarious sumo or ninja he would turn out to be, no?).

"We must correct this error - and what better proof could I offer than... this?!"

When Snowfall first addresses Athena, she gives a pleasant smile. "I can see why Inari speaks so highly of you. Your manners are all that I have been told of, and I am pleased with our choice of heroes to restore my health to me once more. Thank you, young one, for your open heart."
(OOC: I've been saving up for this so pardon me if I go a little overboard?) =)

"Mariwo Fuka - Niji wo Koete ( [Instrumental] Album Densetsu no Yume)" This means, "beyond the rainbow."

"Athena-sama!" Snowfall bows as if he cannot believe his ears. "Inari-sama? The senpai of all senpai's... said this?"

corgi senpai GIF

Snowfall staggers, this time for real. His eyes slowly and magnetically draw heavenward. "Inari-sama! You... you mean... you noticed... me?"

Snowfall's brain:
Big Bang Mind Blown GIF by xponentialdesign

"I shall remember this day forever!" The laughter that ensues becomes all that Snowfall is as he rejoices! Cartwheeling, flipping, somersaulting through the air, the celebrating Kitsune flashes from form to form, old man to white fox to young man to invisible cloud and finally... his newest form, Kitsune! Using his Karumi-jutsu to reduce his weight to under 15 pounds, he launches himself straight up with his Supernatural Strength, spiraling, spinning, twisting, his seven tails fluttering all about him like flags in the wind until he lands with unearthly grace, poised on one foot, his paws placed together in prayer...

... and nine tails all about his pure white snowy body!

In Japanese, he shouts to Olympus's skies - "Inari-samaaa! Most Gracious Spirits of all! I will do you proooud!"

"Finnegan Fox being playful" (Earth's favorite fox!)

"CUTE! Kitsune FOX Baby Chase Tails! Shang-Chi 🦊Slice of Heaven" - Feel free to mute; it's here for the visuals!

Bonus!

Baby Fox GIF

As his first act as a nine-tailed Kitsune of Inari, Snowfall breaks out his new Rune Shield, rolls it toward Athena like a great wheel and hops on top of it running backwards with his arms folded and his tails flowing every which way. Once in Athena's presence, he hops off the shield into a front roll until he too is going along like the shield in a wild acrobatic display until finally, he kicks the shield up into the air, kneels at Athena's feet, and eyes closed, catches the shield in both hands. Serenely and without lifting his head, he makes his humble request of the ageless goddess.

"Athena-sama! We go to Earth, perhaps to face the wrath of Zeus himself, but even he will not stop us from restoring you to your proper glory! But before we go... could this humble servant implore of you to bless this shield which I take in your name? Just knowing that Hephaestus masterfully brought it into being it and that you accept it and us shall galvanize the spirit of the shield and mine with it against all odds, known and unknown! Will you do this small thing, Athena-sama?"

Whether Miss Terra sees it or not, whether the newly-minted Tattooed Undead Slayer is aware of it or not, this expression of Snowfall's is as Japanese as Japanese gets - the blessing of a lord or lady upon the very heights of Olympus itself is more than a decree, stronger than a promise - it is a spiritual solidification of giri ("obligation" or "duty" in the days of feudal Japan) rivalling the Bushido code of the samurai themselves. Snowfall is but a Kitsune, but giri? Giri is the spirit with which Japanese people long ago, today, and in the future live by for the betterment of all. How better to display this than to prostrate himself before the lady of his quest for even the smallest inkling of her favor?

For Snowfall, this is part of what it means to be Japanese!

Terra almost takes a step back at the earnestness of Snowfall's correction of her thought that he was Chinese. Her first thought is to say, "Is there really a difference?" But somehow, she knows that this would be a grievous error on her part that would call for more chastisement from the aforementioned Kitsune. Instead, she covers her mouth to hide the smile at the reaction before her amusement offends her friend in some way, and she says, "Of course you are Japanese. Please forgive my ignorance of the subject matter." To finish up her apology, she offers up a bow, hoping that she will not be opening up a new can of worms.

Then, when Athena says that Inari has spoken highly of Snowfall, a wave of pleasure on behalf of her friend comes over her. "Hey! That's your patron god, right? That's cool that you've had your Inari speak so well of you! You must be doing something right, right?" She grins at the foxiest of Inari's messengers at his joy, sharing his happiness vicariously. "Soon enough, you'll have the favor of even more divine beings with their eyes on you just as soon as we get our honored Athena back to her proper self."

"The question remains, though, of what do you know of these different areas of Earth? I've never been to any of those places, so it is all new to me. Which one will we move on first?"

The elderly Athena chuckles at Snowfall's antics, then says, "Did you think I wouldn't ask Inari if I could borrow one of her own before coming to see your party? That would be the height of rudeness, even in this occasion. Please, rise and stand proud. You can hold your head high knowing that Inari has noticed you and considers you to be one of her favored children, and if things go well, you will be one of my favored, too. All of you will. I will owe you my life."

"Thank you, Athena-sama! Arigato gosai mas!" he repeats the expression of gratitude in the language of humans where he was born.

"THAT'S JAPAN, FOR ANYONE WHO'S PAYING ATTENTION!!" Snowfall grits his teeth and shakes a fist.

Dannigan sez, "Pipe down, you little idjit. We're trying to play a game here!"

Snowfall sez, "Oh, right! Carry on!"

He bows deeply, even reverently to Athena, his nine white tails flashing all about him with pride. To Terra, he says, "Welp! That depends, Miss Terra!"

(See OOC, please.)

Snowfall explains (per Sherwood's OOC reprinted in the spoiler for your convenience).

Snowfall has not gone to Antartica, so you know very little about the current state of affairs there. To the best of your knowledge, there is no one living there.

Brazil is a wild jungle, similar to the Vampire Kingdoms of the Yucatán and Mexico, but there are human strongholds there that are fighting back against the vamps and other supernatural monsters that prey on people.

Germany is deep in the heart of the Gargoyle lands, and the New German Republic is struggling to keep their lands free from the monsters.

China is a bastion of the supernatural. Humans only control the coastal regions, while the heart of the nation is under the thumbs of the Yama Kings, each with a different domain. Humans are the minority in these areas.

Snowfall hops up and remains suspended off of the ground only by his tails. He rubs the side of his furry face in thought while his eyes try not to be distracted by the heavenly beauty that is Olympus. "My first thought is, with Eron taking a break of indeterminate time, we do the safe thing - exploring. Where is best for that? Antarctica where we know the least. At the minimum, we can recon, collect data, form plans. I also have a selfish reason - it's the one Earth Realm we need to go that I haven't been!"

Snowfall looks up to Zephiron, over to Morrolan, and then to Miss Terra. "If it turns out that we can handle it with the four of us, we can determine that there and take it on. If we need Eron for it, we'll know that too. Just be warned - it's not the coldest place on Rifts Earth for nothing.

"As for Brazil and Germany, great places! Wonderful hot spots with all kinds of challenges! But it is China that I am most concerned about - The Yama Kings are no joke. Each makes a team of Splugorth look about as dangerous as a pack of puppies. Their evil combined with their ancient ways and incredible magic make them close to gods themselves. I don't know that we can take even one of them on, but speaking as a prey-spirit, I would rather not find out but achieve our objective and take the spear-piece we need by other means instead."

Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon Focusing his spirit, his mind, and his considerable personal energies, Snowfall hops down from his throne of tails and performs the slow power-focusing movements that Tai Chi Ch'uan is famous for. As he begins to breathe, circulate his ki, and prepare to direct it, his hand brushes over one of his many Dimensional Tattoos.

"Where shall we go, Terminators? For time is not our ally any more than Zeus or Ares are."

Zephiron gave the foxy mystic a round of applause, witnessing his new tails with a contented smile. The whole exchange did leave him with a question on his mind, I am sure there are kitsune or at least fox spirits in this realm of China... Did he learn his martial styles from them?

Listening to the details of their options the hatchling gave a nod. "I'm not even a year old yet, so take my vote with a grain of salt but... I'd rather rip off the bandage as they say, and get Antarctica over with. I have natural thermal resistances but that doesn't make it comfortable, per se. I'm sure whatever threats lie elsewhere we can handle together when that time comes. Even the Splurgoth live numbered days after all."

Terra listens to the description of the various locations from Snowfall, then the input from Zephiron. "You have a point, my young friend. Perhaps some scouting out the location at the bottom of the world will prove to be useful. My pardon, m'lord and ladies, but how close to the various pieces of the spear can we get when using the one piece currently in your possession to guide us? I don't want to be brought right on top of it in case there are guards and wards keeping an eye on it, but at the same time, we need to be close enough to get an idea of exactly where the piece is that we are looking for."

Snowfall paces a little while adding to Terra's inquiries.

"Perhaps you cannot visit Earth, but might you be able to see Antarctica? Is there anything you might be able to tell us about the South Pole that we mortals cannot? Any information would help."

Snowfall rubs his Dimensional Portal tattoo eager to be off, but not so eager to jump into an ice-storm-filled wasteland blind.

Snowfall paces a little while adding to Terra's inquiries.

"Perhaps you cannot visit Earth, but might you be able to see Antarctica? Is there anything you might be able to tell us about the South Pole that we mortals cannot? Any information would help."

Snowfall rubs his Dimensional Portal tattoo eager to be off, but not so eager to jump into an ice-storm-filled wasteland blind.
Apollo looks over at Snowfall and says, "There is little in the frozen wasteland of interest to anyone, be it man or god. But, in the very center of the ice and snow, there is a wide plain, and on it there is the remains of an old North American research station. I suspect that there is something inside that has been put there to guard the spear piece, but exactly what that is, I cannot say."

As he describes the abandoned research station, Athena takes out from her pouch a piece of what looks to be hardwood dowel, roughly a foot and a half long. She holds it close to her chest for a moment, then offers it up. "This is the one piece of my spear that I was able to keep ahold of. With it, you can use it to guide you to another piece as you travel, like a divining rod. Guard it with your lives. If it falls into the hands of Ares or those that set him on this treacherous path, it will be the end of me. Let no one know you have it. I . . . am trusting you with this, and I hope that you understand that this is not an easy thing for me to do. Please. Do not fail me."

Rykon Rykon Psychie Psychie Purr Purr Silanon Silanon

After a deep bow to Athena (displaying complete understanding of what she just shared), Snowfall simply replies to Terra, "Terra-sama, I am ready to depart. Who will carry this piece of Athena-sama's spear?"

Terra takes a moment to regard Athena, and offers up her own deep bow. "Understood, M'lady. The only way someone will get the spear piece from us is over our dead bodies. We will return with the second piece shortly."

Looking at Snowfall, she says, "Once we get to the area around the next piece, I'll carry it in one of my pouches of holding. Zeph, Snowfall, Eron and Morrolan. I must stress to you that this spear is more important than I am, and it must be kept save. Even if it means leaving me behind. Don't worry, though. I plan on being around a long time to tell this tale over a frosty mug at the bar!"

Snowfall nods in understanding and compliance.

Don't worry, though. I plan on being around a long time to tell this tale over a frosty mug at the bar!"
"And I intend to serve it to you. It is your bar after all! Shall we depart?"

Zeph blinked at Terra's insistence. It was hard to imagine a threat void of any notoriety would be enough to separate their band of heroes so casually as to merit such a warning. Or perhaps just hard for his pride to accept it, he conceded in silence. "I certainly don't expect we'll have a need to leave anyone behind with the speed and means at our disposal, even assuming we'd need to flee. Nevertheless, I understand." He nodded to Snowfall, appreciating the optimism. "A well-earned one at that, so let's not delay. I'm as ready as I can be."

Hephaestus turns to regard Terra and the others and says, "Well then, be off with you. I have work to do to make this man his armor, and all of you will just be in the way." He pauses, then adds, "Good luck."

Apollo looks to the group and says, "With the connection that exists between the pieces of the spear, I can open a gateway within a few miles of its current location. You can then travel the intervening distance to the location and recover the piece, then slip away and prepare for your next recovery mission. When you are ready, I'll cast the spell."

Snowfall takes a moment to close his eyes and bow with reverence to Olympus's finest crafter. "I will treasure this aegis always!"

Snowfall, his nine white tails curling every which way, turns to Apollo to listen to him, and then Miss Terra. Then he simply remarks aloud, "Our challenges await! And with them, Athena-sama's restoration! Fully prepared, I await your pleasure."

With the group now ready, Apollo gives you all a nod, saying, "If there is no reason to delay, I will cast the gateway to Antarctica first. It will place you within a few miles of the first piece of the spear. From that point, you will be on your own to find the piece and defeat whatever guardian that our adversary has prepared for you. Stand ready.

It takes a moment for the spell to be cast, but when it is done, there is a gateway open to the frozen South Pole. Immediately, a chill fills the room and you can see the frozen wasteland on the other side.

How do you prepare for your trip? What do you do to survive the cold?

Snowfall, ever the prepared messenger, activates his Energized Blazing Comet tattoo (his Sustain tattoo should still be up at 2 days/level). He reaches into his magical lunchbox and enjoys a few bites of warm rice and tofu casually offering the same to anyone who appears even remotely interested. The ever-warm sake stays in its bottle (things haven't gotten that serious yet! Heh!).

Once finished with the nomming, little Snowfall of Inari solemnly dons his magic helmet. With a spin and a twirl, he throws his cloak about his furry shoulders and makes a display of having his impeccable Hephaestus-forged shield and his trusty Rod of Weather Control at the ready. His foxy muzzle shows his small bared fangs as he faces the portal in a fighting stance! Whatever lies beyond this portal had better beware!

After all... for crying out loud, this is Olympus! You have to do something cool and dramatic in the main home crib of the Greek Gods! It's what they're all about! Just ask 'em!

"For Athena-samaaa! Yip!"

Using her Power Matrix to extend the duration of the tattoos, Terra activates her Blazing Comet (good for 9 hours) and her Invulnerability (good for 3 hours). The Comet tattoo lets her be resistant to the cold of space, so the low temperature of the South Pole shouldn't be an issue, and the Invulnerability because, hey, it's a dangerous world out there! A girl needs to be ready for it.

She takes her rune blade in hand, and with a nod to the others, she lets herself drift through the portal to the bottom of the world and looks around. The stark beauty of the ice sheets and snow are a wonder to behold, but now is not the time for sight seeing. Athena is in dire need, and the sooner they get back, the better.

Letting the one piece of the spear guide her, she looks around for any landmarks or features that might give them a clue as to where to go.
Base MDC: 390 - +10 per level, +13 per tattoo
Invulnerability MDC: 675
PPE: 264 - +10 per level, +6 per tattoo / 179
Power Matrix: 90 PPE
PPE Battery: 50
PPE Battery: 50
PPE Battery: 100

Bonus Points: 10

Number of Attacks: 7 (8 Attacks vs Vampires/Undead or Demons/Supernatural Evil)
Strike: +13 (+19 with rune blade)
Parry: +11 (Only +9 vs ranged attacks with the rune shield)
Dodge: +10
Roll: +11
Save vs. Magic: +1
Initiative: +7
Perception: +6, +9 vs Vampires and the Undead
Horror Factor: +9 to Save, +11 vs dragons
Critical Strike on a natural 19-20
Critical Strike from behind
Damage: +3
Death Blow on a natural 19-20

Zeph's eyes once again take on a dragonic look, psychic energy rippling out from his face for a brief moment to scan the surroundings.

[18ISP for Enhanced Perception and Mind's Eye while the team gets their bearings. Perception roll is normally at +4 total of 12.]

With your keen eyesight and the total lack of all other features to be seen, you all spot a flash of metal off in the distance that draws your eye to a small series of structures partly buried in the snow about a mile away from your current position. It looks like the old research base that you were told about. There is nothing else of interest in sight; no other buildings or living creatures anywhere to be seen.

Morrolan points, saying, "I am having to guess that our destination is right over there. Shall we go?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back