• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy RedStone

PeanutLemur

Walmart People Watcher
RedStone
Note: Invisible scrollbars exist.
Code by Alteras

[class name=root] width: 100%; height: auto; position: relative; background-color: white; background-blend-mode: multiply; background-repeat: no-repeat; overflow: hidden; --image-w: 810; --image-h: 1068; [/class] [class name=flex] width: 100%; height: auto; position: relative; display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; justify-content: stretch; align-items: start; [/class] [class name=image] height: 82vh; width: calc( var(--image-w)/var(--image-h) * 82vh); background-image: url(https://i.imgur.com/INbFRNj.png?2); background-size: contain; background-position: center bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat; filter: drop-shadow(0 0 5px white) [/class] [class name=name] height: 3.5vh; width: 100%; position: absolute; top: calc(82vh - 3.5vh + 1px); left: 0; background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgb(76, 102, 138) 30%, rgba(218, 212, 218, .5) 30%, rgba(218, 212, 218, .5) 50%, #313253 50%); background-position: bottom; background-size: 100% 3.5vh; background-repeat: no-repeat; z-index: 5; [/class] [class name=nameinside] position: absolute; bottom: 0; right: 1vw; height: auto; max-width: 100%; z-index: 6; font-size: 13.25vh; font-family: 'Cormorant Upright'; line-height: .77; padding-bottom: 3.5vh; text-align: right; color: transparent; background-clip: text; -webkit-background-clip: text; background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #a52b4e, #e73359, #e73359, #a52b4e); [/class] [class name=container] min-height: 500px; height: 65vh; min-width: 300px; position: relative; flex: 1; display: flex; flex-flow: column nowrap; justify-content: stretch; align-items: stretch; [/class] [class name=tabs] position: relative; margin-top: 5vmin; display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; justify-content: flex-end; font-size: initial; [/class] [class name=tab] position: relative; margin-right: 1.5vw; font-size: calc(1em + 3vh); font-family: 'Cormorant Upright'; line-height: 1; cursor: pointer; color: black; transition: all 1s; [/class] [class name=selected] color: #dc5c54; pointer-events: none; [/class] [class name=divide] width: 100%; height: 5px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: -10%; padding-left: 10%; background-image: linear-gradient(to right, rgba(76, 102, 138, 0), rgb(76, 102, 138) 20%); [/class] [class name=contentholder] position: relative; margin: 0 15px; flex: 1; [/class] [class name=content] position: absolute; width: 100%; height: 100%; top: 0; left: 0; font-size: initial; [/class] [class name=scroll] position: relative; width: 100%; height: 100%; padding-right: 250px; overflow-y: scroll; overflow-x: hidden; font-family: 'Philosopher'; font-size: 1.1em; color: black; [/class] [script=tab] hide content show Essentials [/script] [script class=tab version=2 on=click] (removeClass "selected" "tab") (addClass "selected") (fadeOut 1000 "content") (fadeIn 1000 (getText)) [/script] [div class=root] [div class=name][div class=nameinside]RedStone[/div][/div] [div class=flex] [div class=image][/div] [div class=container] [div class=tabs] [div class="tab selected"]Essentials[/div][div class=tab]Lore[/div][div class=tab]Roles[/div][div class=tab]Miscellaneous[/div] [/div] [div class=divide][/div] [div class=contentholder] [div class="content Essentials"][div class=scroll] Overview

Amidst the Sterling Sea lies the small continent of Igris, home of the mystic mineral Ramalite and the Shard Hunter Guilds. With its towering mountains, dense forests, and magic Ley Lines, Igris is a land of vast opportunities and near-mythic wonders. Those who call it home are a hardy folk born with the thrum of adventure in their blood. Nevertheless, only the most capable manage to face the continent's many wonders and live to tell the tale. For Igris is as deadly as it is beautiful, and the quest for fame and fortune most often ends in despair.

In the current Age, Shard Hunter Guilds operate as one of the most vital components of Igrisian culture. Their niche is as both an explorer and supplier of Igris' natural resources. Ramalite - the stone of power - serves as their most sought after find. Competition within and between guilds is fierce as Shard Hunters vie for the glory and rewards of successful expeditions. Yet, the largest challenge presides not within the constructs of Guild society, but within the areas they chose to explore.

As a conduit of magic energy, Ramalite persists in locations with inherent magical properties. It is sought after as both an enhancer for an individual's magic potential - otherwise known as his/her "whim" - and as an energy source for most of Igris' technology. The mineral varies in power however; the strongest shards tend to exist where innate magical energy is the most potent: the intersections of Igris' magic Ley Lines. These intersections, referred to as Dungeons for the unique land features, flora, and fauna present there, are some of the most perilous locations on the continent. Should one choose to venture there, s/he best come prepared. [/div][/div] [div class="content Lore"][div class=scroll] Ramalite
Ramalite, a stone of high demand, is the main power source for much of Igris' technology. Although it is considered a mineral, little is known about the stone's origins. For one, it does not exist in geological deposits like other natural minerals; rather, fragments of it are dispersed throughout the continent, concentrated in areas where magic is present. Locations with high levels of inherent magical energy - known as dungeons - seem to accumulate either vast quantities of Ramalite shards or a few, high quality deposits. Venturing into such places, however, is a dangerous affair - one often regulated to members of the Shard Hunters Guilds.

Ramalite itself is inert. Indeed, it is only through the input of a catalyst - a being's own magical entity, or whim, or a disturbance in a natural magic field - that the stone exhibits its true potential as an energy conductor. Humans were the first to utilize Ramalite as a means for enhancing their own whims and magical output, though historic records tell of beasts that once ingested the mineral. In current times, low-grade Ramalite can be purchased on the market by those with a magical license and used for personal means; higher-grade fragments are used to power the machines and vehicles that have brought society into its modern age.

Dungeons
Existing at the intersections of Igris' magical Ley Lines, Dungeons are the continent's harshest environments and terrains. From floating masses of rock to impenetrable forests, mountainous caverns to barren wastelands, these locations feature wildlife the like of which is unknown outside their borders. Those lacking proper training and preparation rarely leave intact, and even those with years of experience have been known to disappear into their depths.

Shard Hunters
Igris' heroes, aptly heralded as Shard Hunters, are those who brave the wilds to combat foes and mine deposits of Ramalite for the masses. They work for the Shard Hunters Guilds, though an emergence of non-affiliated Hunters - sometimes referred to as poachers - have begun to make a regular appearance. Shard Hunters are known for their physical prowess and knowledge - even if such traits don't always come hand-in-hand. Designated ranks are utilized in gauging a Hunter's aptitude and therein determining the types of assignments - and associated pay - s/he is permitted to embark on an accept. All Shard Hunters are required to carry proof of their identity and designated rank on their persons.

Aether
The Guild of focus for this RP, Aether is one of Igris' largest Shard Hunter Guilds; in fact, it is the fifth largest by membership size.

Ferox
Igris' second humanoid race, Ferox are known for possessing animal characteristics - such as animal ears, tails, teeth, and senses - and greater physical prowess than their human counterparts. They do, however, tend to have less capacity for magic. [/div][/div] [div class="content Roles"][div class=scroll]
Currently, player characters will be limited to Shard Hunters - novice or otherwise - affiliated with the Shard Hunters Guild, Aether. Should you wish to play as a Poacher - or non affiliated Shard Hunter - please let me know. Other roles, including currently designated NPC characters, may also become available if interest in this RP idea exists. A character sheet will be created once interest is shown.

This RP is designed to follow the activities of the aforementioned Shard Hunters as they not only embark on adventures and expeditions, but uncover the truth behind emerging rumors of tainted Ramalite and the entities that seems to swarm around the stones. The solution may seem as simple as destroying the contaminated minerals and dispatching the blighted, but "easy" never exists in this profession. [/div][/div] [div class="content Miscellaneous"][div class=scroll] Continent Map
PbZM3SQ.png

More to be added when my brain is refueled. [/div][/div][/div][/div][/div][/div]

Last edited:
I'm interested, although I have quite a few questions:
  • Minimum post length and frequency?
  • I noticed that you mentioned machines and vehicles powered by Ramalite, but what specifically is the technology level?
  • When was Ramalite discovered? Is it a finite resource? If so have there been areas that have been stripped bare of Ramalite?
  • Since a hunters rank determines their assignments, and you mentioned we will be able to create novice or otherwise hunters, will you put us on seperate assignments depending on our characters abilities?
  • Magic is a rather broad term, what kind are you allowing?

Getting some Final Fantasy and Made in Abyss vibes so you've got my interest. I'll echo the question about the technology level and have to ask: since the game seems so focused on magic and a magic-powering material, how do physical characters like the classic warrior types fit into the game/world? Would their physical abilities be considered their own form of whim or are they separate but still effective per the usual fighter/mage divide?

I'm interested, although I have quite a few questions:
  • Minimum post length and frequency?
  • I noticed that you mentioned machines and vehicles powered by Ramalite, but what specifically is the technology level?
  • When was Ramalite discovered? Is it a finite resource? If so have there been areas that have been stripped bare of Ramalite?
  • Since a hunters rank determines their assignments, and you mentioned we will be able to create novice or otherwise hunters, will you put us on seperate assignments depending on our characters abilities?
  • Magic is a rather broad term, what kind are you allowing?
Thank you for your interest! Luckily I have a good few pages in a notebook dedicated to this particular idea of mine. I'll do my best to paraphrase my word vomit and answer your questions to the best of my abilities. (I left a good chunk of detail out of the interest thread above to avoid overwhelming folks. I also anticipated some of these points being brought up.) Hopefully this helps!
  • 1 paragraph minimum, at least once a week. Should the roleplay end up waiting on the response of a single person - or persons - a notice will be given to him/her/them before a last-resort GM-oriented post is used to carry on the story. The more writing the merrier however.
  • We're looking at technology and innovations akin to those developed in the so-called "Second Industrial Revolution" of 1865-1900. Think steam power, but with magic rocks. (Steampunk-esque, if anything.) "Electricity" doesn't exist as we know it, but things like lights - not oil lamps or candles, but light bulbs similar to those we know today - exist through the use of Ramalite shards being utilized as a type of filament. Igris is in an age of machine technology and transportation. Trains, boats, and rudimentary personal vehicles are prevalent and reliable sources of transportation, though the latter is oft limited to the wealthy. Good ole' horse and buggy and carriages still exist for those with tight pockets or preferences for them. Air conditioning and heating isn't a thing the way we know it to be - this type of technology is still in development but some products are on the market - but running water has been incorporated into some buildings, though not as reliably as ours is today. Sewage systems are more than adequate for the time however - thank the gods. Small robots can also be seen from time to time, but they're hardly a reliable bunch. Oh, and long distance communication is possible though sometimes faulty. A typewritter-like machine also exists for those who don't like ink wells. (Guns are a thing, but they're not automatic to any degree.) Honestly, there's room for "new inventions" should people want to play an inventor-type character.
  • The first descriptions of Ramalite can be found in Igris' earliest recorded history. In terms of a geological timeline, it formed along side other natural minerals long before Human or Ferox settlements dotted the land. The first use of the Mineral for anything akin to its current use occurred nearly three centuries prior to the Current Age (which we are roleplaying in). Ramalite itself is not finite - it is a byproduct of concentrated magical energy taking on a physical form. It generates over time; however, the newer the Ramalite, the weaker it is. It is for this reason that high grade fragments are so valuable on the market. They are, in terms of a human or Ferox lifespan, finite. The most "pure" samples take centuries to form. But yes - some areas have been stripped bare. Research is currently being conducted on the process of Ramalite formation and - hint hint - ways it could be synthesized.
  • Yes and no. Hunters often gather in teams. In the Guild System it is often encouraged that novice Shard Hunters find tutelage under a more experienced Hunter - be it for the duration of a single mission or longer. Hunter teams receive a designated rank based on an averaging of the ranks of the members within it. If a novice wants to undertake an assignment outside of their rank range, they can seek higher ranked Hunters to journey with. Also, a novice hunter is not always weak. Ranks are a byproduct of the averaging of one's physical prowess/whim, intelligence, and experience. Often a lack of experience is what constitutes a lower Hunter Rank as opposed to poor personal ability.
  • Yes, magic is very vague. This is an area I'm still hammering out as "magic" has come to span a vast realm of possibilities of the years. In terms of "natural" magic - think of "mana" or an innate energy present in the environment. Magic exists in all things - living or otherwise - but only those with a "whim" or sense for magic can tap into it. Whims are generally limited to a certain type of magic - be it a specific element (someone with a fire whim might be able to heat the environment around them while someone with an earth-oriented whim might be able to "read" vibrations through the ground) or something a bit more physical (like self-enhancement by augmenting one's dexterity in the field). Utilizing Ramalite would make a person's whim more potent and prone to physical manifestations. Magic here isn't the a-typical, spell casting, Gandalf-tribute featured in many fantasies. (But yes, your character can shoot fireballs and rock bullets. Large scale, magical feats would be exceedingly draining to an individual and could result in severe repercussions however.) I'd be happy go into more detail on the classification system I've made for magic in this world of mine if you'd like. Overall, however, I'm aiming to leave parts of it open-ended.

Getting some Final Fantasy and Made in Abyss vibes so you've got my interest. I'll echo the question about the technology level and have to ask: since the game seems so focused on magic and a magic-powering material, how do physical characters like the classic warrior types fit into the game/world? Would their physical abilities be considered their own form of whim or are they separate but still effective per the usual fighter/mage divide?
I've never played any FF games - and I'm not sure what Made in the Abyss is, shame on me - but it's an honor to hear that elements in this mind-child of mine reflect something so largely loved.

In Igris, a person's magic aptitude - and therefor their use of magic - is wholly dependent on the nature of their whim. Some are capable of your classic magical attacks - fire balls, fields of ice, small wind vortexes, etc. - while others have more personal - or innate - whims. A warrior might have an aptitude for ores and be able to improve the durability or sharpness of his/her blade; an archer might be able to sharpen his/her vision and therein gain better accuracy. It's also possible for someone to temporarily imbue a weapon with their whim - fire swords anyone? Whims can largely be what you want them to be - if you have something in mind but aren't sure about it, feel free to ask. (I'm not sure I'm explaining this topic to the best of my ability. I know what I mean, but articulating it... well, I'm trying.)

Really interested! I'm also really curious to see how everything builds up and such.

PeanutLemur PeanutLemur
No I think I got everything I need, and I know you didn't direct that part at me but I think it'd be best if you didn't go super in depth about a particular system of magic at least initially to keep things open and flowy.

Can I be a rare Ramalite Fairy that can detect the mystic mineral? Since the fairy is non-human, I'm sure I can serve as someone's pet :3

Zerohex Zerohex MiraAutumn MiraAutumn Remembrance Remembrance SachiGrl SachiGrl
The CS has been made and a thread for character submissions posted. For quick access, the CS is pasted in the spoiler below. The link to the Character Thread is Here.

Optional Image(s) Here​

Optional Character Quote Here​
General
Name:
Alias: (Optional)
Sexual Orientation: (Optional)
Race:
Shard Hunter Rank: (Novice [rank F, E, or D], Adept [rank C or B], Doyen [rank A or S], or Poacher [unaffiliated])

Appearance
A brief - or not - description of your character's general appearance. Please include any notable physical features - such as scars, missing limbs, funky hairdos - he or she possesses alongside his/her typical clothing.

Whim
Describe your character's whim - aka: their magic aptitude - or indicate that he/she doesn't have one.

Equipment
Weapon(s):
Ramalite: Yes or no? If yes, what is it used for and where is it kept?
Miscellaneous Supplies:

Personality
What makes your character tick? Be as descriptive here as you'd like; one paragraph minimum. Descriptive bullet points allowed (5 minimum).

Backstory
Your character wasn't born a Shard Hunter as much as he/she might argue otherwise. What did he/she do in their youth? What inspired him/her to choose such a dangerous career? One paragraph minimum.

Miscellaneous
Is there anything else you want people to know about your character?

Last edited:
Can I be a rare Ramalite Fairy that can detect the mystic mineral? Since the fairy is non-human, I'm sure I can serve as someone's pet :3
I don't see why not. Familiars are common in fantasy realms, though I may have a few questions or tidbits of info to send your way in the future.

This looks fun! Definitely interested if you'll have me. :)
Certainly! I doubt I'll be able to get the main thread up and running tomorrow - I honestly didn't expect this much interest! - due to work, so this RP will remain open for any who are interested.

What is a whim?
Basically a person's magic aptitude. You can think of it as a power or "trait" more or less unique to the individual.

Because I'm too lazy to rewrite this: "In Igris, a person's magic aptitude - and therefor their use of magic - is wholly dependent on the nature of their whim. Some are capable of your classic magical attacks - fire balls, fields of ice, small wind vortexes, etc. - while others have more personal - or innate - whims. A warrior might have an aptitude for ores and be able to improve the durability or sharpness of his/her blade; an archer might be able to sharpen his/her vision and therein gain better accuracy. It's also possible for someone to temporarily imbue a weapon with their whim - fire swords anyone? Whims can largely be what you want them to be - if you have something in mind but aren't sure about it, feel free to ask."

Seems like a great idea, I'd love to join in if you would have me.

Should anyone else reading through this thread have any interest feel free to say so; this RP isn’t closed to other parties yet.

In other news, I’ll work on updating the miscellaneous section on this thread and creating another dedicated to Lore tomorrow as I’m able. If you wish to create a town of your own in your character’s backstory - as I’ve yet to detail any here - feel free to do so.

I’d also like to thank everyone for their interest! This idea has been in the works for a little over a year and I never expected it to have such great feedback so soon. You’re an amazing bunch.

REJOICE YOU HAVE ATTAINED MY ATTENTION MORTAL! Yeah so uh very interesting idea and world I would love to be a part of it. Though there is so much information I wouldn't even know where to start but I try to slowly digest it all. Also what is a whim? I don't entirely understand how that works and how we come up with one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back