• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Power Rangers Sentinels

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Dylan felt slightly accosted by Merlin's tone. He didn't think it was THAT silly of a question. Even if the Coven was itself a pocket dimension, which made sense given that "shunting" feeling even when walking into it physically and not by teleportation, that didn't make asking about its ownership or that there could be more was inconceivable. After all, a pocket in a pair of pants was still a pocket in those particular pants. Every pair of jeans in existence didn't share the same pocket! By what he had read, not much talked about the Coven itself, which is why his knowledge on its nature was spotty. In any case, between pointedly NOT bowing to King Arthur and Merlin laughing off his question as if it was stupid to have been asked, Dylan was quickly demolishing those two particular pedestals in his mind.

A somewhat sad notion entered his mind that most of the figures he worshiped as a child would prove wanting to his expectations when he encountered them. Not as much a problem with those such as the Olympians since Dylan knew they were a bunch of lunatics from the beginning. What if the actual heroes though turned out to be total jerks to him? Returning his lifetime of adoration and recounting of their feats with scorn at his curiosity and enthusiasm?
"Pardon me, but who's Gawain?"

"Sir Gawain is one of the greatest Knights of the Round. Most famous for his hunt with the mysterious 'Green Knight' and himself a defender of the helpless, women in particular. A habit that earned him the name, 'the Maiden's Knight." Dylan explained to his lovely friend. Maybe Gawain would turn out to be more agreeable than the elitist, dismissive, old sage.

So: Morgana good, Nouvs got lucky, Coven is a dimension in its own, and the Gold Sentinel is indeed someone in Avalon they know of. Benji nodded. Clay nodded. This uncle-nephew duo seemed to have a good relationship, if not a bit dismissive. Like Dylan, Clay was a bit thrown off by by Merlin just disregarded and laughed at the question. Hey Dylan had a point, Merlin totally seemed like he'd be the Coven leader of Avalon if that was the case. Excuse him for not being perfectly associated with things here connected to Sentinel lore. "Hey now, don't have to be all smart about it..." he commented as southern as he mustered to Merlin.
Whoever Gawain is he sounded cool, to say the least. Benji smirked upon the knights description. "Green Knight huh? You guys sure Sentinels don't exist here like us? Who knows, I could be the Green Knight..." Benji joked. Clay nudged his arm. Hard. He laughed at Benji's attempt at being strong and macho. It just didn't work. Like a root beer float fixin' to be a salad.
Arthur didn't seem to be so caught up. He felt a bit off to them... Like the fact he was Merlin's nephew and apparently had been getting revisited by logic at this time? What sort of King is like this? And why does Erin only want to speak to this wizard alone? What's so private? Wait a second...
"Hey Merlin... You said Gawain has been unaware that time's passed since his arrival. Old allies... where did he go, how is he unaware of time passing?" Benji asked inquisitively.

Both of the guys more or less bowed to Arthur as Merlin guided them out before he got his answer, though. Down to a series of dark tunnels lit up by some kind of magic after a bit. They held on to one another until they were in Merlin's lair, getting a look through his own scrying window in yet another tree-like place. Are all lairs like this for the good guys? But the images they saw weren't pretty. "Gosh...look at all of that...bad stuff..." Benji said, shaking his head.
Clay pounded his fists together. "Dad gummit.... We'll kick the crap out of Vorkalth for ya."

"What?" Merlin seemed truly surprised by seemingly having put Dylan and Clay off. "That's by no means my intention. I'm merely amused by your curiosity. And surprised Novus and Fate hadn't explained how the Coven is a realm on its own. Leading a Coven is by far a more difficult task than being a watcher in a realm, keeping an eye on everything going the way it's supposed to go. I'm flattered you hold me in such high regards."
Erin, too, laughed as Benji concluded he might be the Green Knight. Joking aside, with all the oddness and all they had found themselves in ever since they followed Novus into the woods, it might as well be possible. Especially when times were messy and myths were real. Erin curiously tilted her head as Benji asked his question. "To add in on that, how does the passage of time work in this world compared to ours? Since we know there actually is a difference."
Merlin sat down on a chair carved from one of the very trees itself, and gestured the others to take a seat as well. He tapped his fingertips together, thinking of how he might best explain what was going on without shocking everyone present too much. This was a difficult thing. He had hoped Fate and Novus would have explained this part to the young Sentinels, since as mentors, that is more or less their task.
"Once again I'm surprised," Merlin sighed. "Sentinels usually know more about the workings of the Wheel when they get here. So I guess that has to mean...?" Merlin silenced himself and shook his head.
"How long has it been since you were chosen?" he asked after a few minutes of being lost in deep thoughts. He might be an old and wise sorcerer with a history more closely tied to the Sentinels than they knew, but some of the current events puzzled him.

Erin glanced at the others. Good one. How long had it been? Not very long, that much was sure. "Just a few weeks," Erin said. "Five? Six? Seven? Something like that."
"Weeks?" Merlin's eyes widened and he ran a hand through his hair. "It should take months for Vorkalth to be strong enough to bleed into another Era like this. Has anything happened in your Era?"
"Well... They got their hands on some kind of dark artifact. And Novus and Fate keep talking about this "Time of Prophecy"-thing. Then they look at Clay and me in a funny way," Erin shrugged. So Vorkalth was too strong too quickly, and that was bad news. But what did all of this have to do with the question she and Benji posed?
"Then it might be..." again Merlin silenced himself without finishing his sentence. "Arthur, head back to the castle, assemble all of your knights, warn Morgana, and should Gawain have returned, send him here immediately. We need to prepare Camelot for the worst. Something in Merlin's tone and composure had changed entirely, going from friendly and merry -albeit a bit of a smartass- to dead serious and authoritative. Arthur knew Merlin would only use that tone with him when something incredibly terrible was about to happen. He nodded at his uncle before getting back to his feet.
"Sentinels, I trust you're in good hands with my uncle. The fate of Avalon depends on you," Arthur briefly bowed his head to them before hurrying out of the lair, back to the castle.

When Arthur was gone, Merlin let out another breath. "In some cases, it's better if not everyone knows the truth. For their own protection," he said. Erin nodded. That was a sentiment she could understand. Yet it worried her. What could be so terrible that King Arthur himself shouldn't know about it? That was something Merlin was going to explain right then and there.
"I cannot tell you Gawain's full story. The risks of anyone accidentally saying something he's not aware of would do more harm than good. There are changes he will have to learn about himself," Merlin started. "But what I can tell you is this: Sentinels have been in this world before you. Many times, even. Whenever Vorkalth threatens a Realm, Sentinels come and save everyone to ensure things continue the way they should. So once Vorkalth is defeated, it will be like he has never been here in the first place. Everyone forgets, and the stories repeat themselves from the beginning to the end. Over and over again. The only ones aware of this are those who have a way of knowing it, one way or another. For example, when they're a Watcher, like me. Or when originally they aren't a part of said world to begin with. It requires a lot of magic to make someone part of a world, but that person will always be slightly more aware of the things that seem out of place. Gawain is an example of the latter. He was a Sentinel that came to this world long before you, and through Vorkalth's doing, he stayed behind. We had to make him a part of our world to keep him from going insane. Yet Gawain remembers. Through nightmares and visions he recalls the other worlds he has seen, he remembers his friends. But it's all rather vague.

Arthur, Morgana, and I are the only ones here who know this has happened before. We know what might happen should Vorkalth win. We know what will happen once he's defeated. To protect my nephew, I make sure he won't constantly be aware of it, only when I am sure Vorkath is working his dark magic. After all, it would be tragic if he knew how the story ends for him. This world, as well as all the others, are in a constant repeat. When the stories are over, it starts again from the beginning. Over and over again until the end of times. The same stories have been happening here for hundreds of years. As a Watcher, all I can do is play my part and intervene when things don't happen the way they should. If I were to intervene at any other moment, I would disrupt the balance. Legend and history alike would be altered beyond repair. But when such a change cannot be avoided, like when we made Avalon Gawain's home, time will shift. It's always a mystery how long precisely it is. It may be weeks or years, it may be centuries. Gawain came here one generation before you, and the cycle here has yet to end. But in your world, a shift crossing several centuries has occurred."

"Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff..." Erin mumbled to herself. "So what you're saying is, time here passes differently than in our world, but the precise amount if random?"
"Only when a shift occurs," Merlin said. "When it doesn't, days may pass here, while in your word mere hours have passed. You came here right after receiving my message, didn't you?"
Erin nodded. "We did. And the portal closed right behind us. So we need to wait until Fate and Novus can open another one.
"Which will take them hours," Merlin said. "Between my message and your arrival here, four days have passed. Should they manage to open a portal again by nightfall in your world, you will have been here for two weeks, likely."
Erin nodded. She didn't quite understand how the difference worked, but she was at least relieved that it wouldn't be like they'd return after a week here only to figure out ten years had passed in Ebongrove.

So bad stuff is happening, long story short. If Merlin was asking his nephew to get all of the knights and tell this Morgana woman what's up, something is bound to be wrong. Clay hugged his arms together and sniffed slightly, getting the picture for the overall story here. At least the wizard didn't mean to be an ass to Dylan and make him and Clay go 'yikes bruh'. Further explanations made his head spin, however. "Just to put it simple there, Merlin, we ain't exactly like all the other Sentinels there've been. Not much time to learn about the...well times and everything," Clay said so whenever Merlin explained the time his near-drooling wouldn't be so frowned upon.
And...isn't keeping anything from the King supposed to be sort of treason? Maybe Camelot is weird like that. Keeping Arthur from being aware of the evil most of the time in this weird time situation. Benji huffed. "Huh. So at least we won't be gone for too long in our world. Down side, I'm pretty sure that our lives are technically shortened..." he said. If ya think about it, the time they spend here takes away from their world so maybe their lives are somewhat shortened. Okay now his head hurts, too.

"Wait, so Gawain was a Sentinel? You won't tell us his full story... With all of the time shifts and everything, his weird...thing going on, I would say maybe Gawain is not just a former Sentinel but a possible mentor!" Benji speculated. Merlin's role in all of this made him understand more, at least as to why he an't intervene sometimes and just how far he can go. And keeping Avalon in a...time loop? Sort of anyway. Knowing how terrible things could be should the evil wins, stories being retold time and time again. How many times cane the word 'time' be uttered today? If this whole process goes on is there even an end to time?
"Hey now, I'd say maybe Gawain is that gold guy. If he was one and he's somehow part of all this, why not say he is him?" Clay asked straight up. He didn't see him as a mentor. But being a sentinel and everything, not getting full detail? What if?

April gulped at the mention of their lives sort of shortening. She hand't thought of that. They aren't getting shorter for them, but in their world they loose days or weeks...hopefully not more. Scary thought to have, isn't it? April bowed her head to Arthur when he had to make his hasty getaway. Things got worse, it may appear. All the help they can get? Was it too late to just go back to normal and wait on tables at Brubeck's back in Ebongrove? Something about that life seemed better by comparison. Maybe just overwhelming knowing the fate of Avalon, a realm thought only as fantasy, was hers and her friends to protect. Her brow had raised when she heard this Gawain was a Sentinel himself. What Merlin had to say brought her attention inward. Even Clay and Benji's comments rang in her mind. "I agree with Clay...maybe Gawain isn't a mentor figure, maybe he's actually that sixth Sentinel we saw before...Merlin, is that possible?" She asked softly, hands cupped together in a nervous fashion. Anyone else think that may be true?

She didn't fancy the knowledge of time sort of repeating itself in stories. Knowing things happen over and over when evil passes? This posed another thing in her mind. April didn't say it out loud, but... What if this has happened before? Merlin said it himself; stories happen again when the evil is defeated. In his own words, though. Okay now she has to ask.
"And Merlin...not to load you with questions, but if things happen again, does that mean maybe this has happened before...have we been here? Have we...fought before? It's making my head spin more than the planet.." April said and gripped her head. Is she on to something or is she just whack?

Dylan nodded to Erin. It was only a short time since their vigil began. "And I can only cram so much, so fast in the archives." Dylan added, referring to his time spent researching the magic and where the Sentinels had interfered with the mythology. It was only now however when Merlin laid it all out that Dylan had come to grips with something that had been bothering him.

"So . . . that's why the past Rangers had records of fighting during Ragnorak or the Titanomachy. Vorkalth injecting himself at different points during the order of events to try and change or destroy. Then our predecessors went to fight him and make sure things happened the way they're told to. For better or worse." Dylan said. He looked back over his shoulder to see the King depart. It did warm his heart to see Arthur show his own fealty toward his uncle. Both because he firmly believed in respecting one's elders and . . . well seeing a King taking orders made him smile. Even still, he wasn't as on board with not giving Arthur the whole story. Telling him about his inevitable demise at the hands of the two people he loved most? A ) he probably wouldn't believe that either of them would betray him. B ) It's not relevant now anyway. At the same time, telling him his entire world is in danger from a cosmic menace and his legions from literally Hell, seems like something he should be informed about.

Dylan was about to share his feelings on that but Merlin explained about changing who's "from" different worlds and that just made his eyes go wide and forget what he was going to say. "Gallo-Roman syncretism." When his friends looked at him like they had no idea what he was talking about, he explained. "Figures from one belief system migrating over to another and changing names. The Romans did that a lot, claiming Gaulic deities like Donar becoming Hercules and Woten becoming Mercury. What Merlin is saying is that, either us in the center of the wheel did that in reflection of worlds actually interacting and shifting or our reorganizing of how the story is told affected the people in their worlds. Or, or! Those changes were due, at least some of the time, by the actions of the Sentinel Rangers trying to keep the whole web from collapsing by Vorkalth's influence." Dylan postulated out loud.

"While previous Sentinels indeed kept the web from collapsing and fought in wars such as Ragnarok when Vorkalth was tipping the scales of balance for the worse, what I meant was something much more literal," Merlin explained, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. He could appreciate the young man's enthusiasm, but he sure seemed like one to get carried away. "When for one reason or another someone is unable to return to their own world, it is possible to make them a part of the world they stayed behind in. Gawain wasn't a part of Avalon before his Sentinel duty brought him here. Much like what's bound to happen to my dear nephew, he poor man got mortally injured during battle. The only way to safe his life was by making him a part of this world, a part of our stories. Had the events never happened, there would be no stories such as what happened between him and the Green Knight." He then turned at April. After hearing about time loops and stories constantly repeating themselves, her question made a lot of sense. In fact, it had Merlin thinking quite hard about the answer. "I can't say I know if you've been here before. Not in the time that I've been the Watcher here, anyway."
"So I take it that means there was a time in this world before you came here, then?" Erin asked with a frown. All this information was making her head spin as well. So many things they hadn't known about... so many confusing bits and pieces.
"There was indeed," Merlin laughed shortly, recalling memories of times long gone by. "But after my task as a Sentinel ended, I chose to stay here as a Watcher. An extra pair of eyes can never hurt. It helps dear Novus and Fate to keep track of the Era's. The Scrying Windows in the Coven can only see so much."
Erin nodded understandingly, part of the meaning of Merlin's words going completely past her. She could imagine extra eyes helped. She imagined it as overseeing a very large area through camera's, but in each of those areas was another little security rooms with camera's all over the specific area, getting all the small details the big area camera's might miss.

"Now, I could understand if you're all exhausted. Today has been a rather intense day for all of you, after all," Merlin said kindly. "I suggest you all head back to the castle and get some well deserved food and rest. Your task here in Avalon has only just begun."
Merlin strolled over to the door of his lair, snapping his fingers again. "Sit Lux," he spoke, and the magical torched started burning again. "And I believe there was still something you wanted to discuss with me in private, wasn't it?" he asked to Erin. The fiery haired woman nodded and smiled at the others. "You guys go ahead. I'll be with you as fast as I can."

Okay Dylan's enthusiasm put them to shame. Next to him Benji felt so dumb and uninformed with this sort of thing...and Clay just wished he had the breath that that boy did. Seriously, as fast as he can talk when he's excited? Got to hand it to him, the guy's got a certain passion one can only dream to have about most things in life. But that admiration turned to confusion over April posing the question of them being there before. If history is literally repeating itself then someone just end it now!!!
"You didn't exactly deny Gawain being the Gold Sentinel we saw, so I'm gonna assume maybe I'm on to something now," Clay said, tipping his invisible hat. Alright, he needed to buy a hat asap! He feels naked without one! Should he be more concerned with this or what Merlin is laying on them all currently?
"Well at least you stayed to keep an eye on Avalon" Clay commented as Merlin said him being Watcher was his choice. Really, the place seems to be in good...eyes.

Interjecting himself into times of history from other worlds, huh? Vorkalth gets to be more of a Doctor Who-like villain every day. Benji shook his head, having answers to questions but also more questions spawning. It is a but much for one day, and he is getting tired. "Rest sounds great, really. My head sort of hurts now anyway," he said. "I just hope that if history is repeating itself with us that it means something good happens. Because if not I'm going to be so confused...more than I already am," said the artist.
He nodded his head at Merlin when he allowed them to go and lit the torches, Clay doing the same. "Best git some grub, too!" commented the cowboy.
"A'right, Erin, seeya in a lil while," he said and turned on his heel, walking the others out into the lit passageways back to the castle. Benji waved and followed, looking around at the structure of the halls as he did so. This place is going to be interesting, isn't it?

"Merlin, I don't know if you're helping or turning my brain into soup," April replied and held her forehead. Debating whether or not they've been to this place before in time and are caught in a loop made everything less sensible. She had only just started processing magical powers and everything; now she wonders about time and space as well. Not even about to question more of this Gawain fellow since her mind likely can not take much more. She felt like she was in a milkshake machine, all spinning and...sort of cold. Is there a draft in this place somewhere? Goosebumps from the bombshell of Avalon being so screwed and needing their help?
"I guess some rest will be good," she said to herself and nodded as Merlin lit the passage for them. She gently bowed and composed herself, nodding along as Erin said she'd meet up with them. Hopefully they won't get lost in the tunnels, now that would be crappy. "Anybody else have a growing urge to take a bottle of Tylenol? Think they have some stuff like that here?" She asked the boys as they all faded into the tunnels to the castle.

Dylan didn't neccesarily need to sleep. After all, he was a Power Ranger! He was a part of a legacy that had touched countless worlds and defeated evil countless times. He did concede that there had come a time for rest after such a long day of fighting and exposition. (I mean! Explanation.) So he indeed joined his friends in finding his way to a chamber for food, drink, and a warm bed. When he did reach that said chamber, he hit the wall. No, not literally hit the side of the room, but all of that energy he had previously drained from his body. He munched on the salted pork, crunched into the crispy bread, downed the hardy soup from the bowl with the lever on it. Then he collapsed on to the fluffy bed. Even Power Rangers needed a power nap.

Once everyone had left, Merlin looked at Erin with a mixture of a knowing and worried look on his face. It gave her the eerie feeling he already knew exactly why she stayed behind. In all honesty it wouldn't even quite surprise her. Merlin had a scrying window, so who was to say he hadn't been watching the battle? Although that probably wasn't the case. She assumed he would have found them sooner if he had known where in the woods they were.
"Show me," he said, nodding at the arm Erin was clutching. She sighed and rolled up the sleeve of her dress, revealing the scar from that first battle against a summoned creature. They looked fresher than they should after the weeks that had passed, and the skin around it was red and swollen. Merlin tended to the injury while asking Erin some questions. She answered the questions as best as she could. Once that all was done, she made her way back to the castle to get herself a well deserved meal and even well deserved rest.

Night fell in Camelot. And while most of its citizens were sound asleep and the guards made their rounds on the walls, Merlin stayed awake, watching the lingering shadows growing darker with each passing moment. Gawain was still somewhere out there, keeping an eye out for Vorkalths next potential victim. He hoped the knight wouldn't act on his own and would soon be able to give more information. He didn't like to admit it, but things were looking rather grim. The journey of these Sentinels here in Avalon had only just begun, and it would be a long and dangerous one. Would they be ready to defend not only this world, but all of the worlds in the web? Merlin would pray to God that they were. But prayers alone were not going to be enough.

END OF TALE 5

Tale 6: Spirits of the Woods
Tale 6: Spirits of the Woods

The lingering darkness remained and still increased with each passing moment, although it did seem to be slower than it was before. Whether this was a good sign and the protective charms put out there by the combined efforts of Merlin, Morgana, various other sorcerers, and the Sentinels, or whether it meant the darkness was about to reach a peak and the world would soon begin to fall apart... that yet remained to be seen. A few days had passed in Avalon since the Sentinels got here, and everyone had had some time to adjust to this different world full of knights and damsels, long forgotten courtesies, smelly streets, and everything else one would expect from a world of times gone by. Even the doomsayer on the town square couldn't be forgotten. Difference between Avalon and Earth? Here the doomsayers might be quite right about the end of the world being near. Behemoths fighting in the woods, shadows that seemed to lead lives of their own... Even the most skeptical souls would start to wonder if there might be some truth in the doomsayers' words. Erin sighed, sitting in the windowsill and looking out over the busy square within the safety of Camelot's walls. The relative quiet didn't sit too well with her. They knew something bad was about to happen, that Gawain-fellow was still somewhere out in those woods, she was starting to get more and more convinced every shadow inside and outside the walls was alive and a tendril of Vorkalth's evil magic rather than just a shadow dancing in the light of the flames... She had a billion reasons to be concerned, and she couldn't share all of those with her friends. When it came down to that, she agreed with his viewpoint that sometimes it was for the best to leave the ones closest to you in the dark.

Erin absentmindedly but gently rubbed her arm. Merlin had applied some type of ointment and a clean bandage in the hope it would bother her somewhat less. Maybe it was helping. In the past few days it didn't sting or swell or feel like she had held it in a fire. Novus had warned her when the wound initially was inflicted on her, Merlin had once again expressed his worries... It wasn't going to stop anytime soon, it seemed. The best she could do was just hide it from her friends as best as she could. Plenty or reasons why she would keep a bandage on there, no?

The sound of commotion on the square carried all the way up the castles walls to the rooms the Sentinels were using. Merchants cursing, chickens clucking and flapping all over the place, things falling over, shattering pots... Dogs barking, people running, panicked shrieks. Erin leaned as far out of the window as she dared and squinted. Not that she could see all that much from way up there.... but there didn't seem to be any traces of an attack. Still, with the knowledge that evil lurked in every corner, it may be worth a shot heading out there and seeing what's going on. She pulled herself back inside, fixed her dress - she had learned the hard way that ladies should always ensure their dresses are properly fixed, less they'd be seen as... something less proper than a lady - , and wandered into the hallway. "Anyone care to join me to see what's going on?" she called.
---
Down on the square, amidst all the commotion, walked a man dressed in a gray wool tunic and trousers. A dark brown mantle cloaked his shoulders, his face shrouded by his hood. Safe for the small, amused smile that curled the corners of his mouth upwards. He didn't particularly stand out in the crowd. Just another traveler on a journey, perhaps a patron in the local tavern, maybe a merchant. His clothes were rather boring, really, and betrayed nothing of what he could do. However, the well made steel sword dangling in a sheath on his belt betrayed he may be wealthier than his simple clothes would make him seem. He walked around, watching the chaos unfold. A wicker basket levitated up into the air on its own. The chickens inside escaped and tried to flee for dear life, knocking over whatever they flew into. The man chuckled to himself, trying not to erupt into full laugher. He snatched an apple off the ground and sat down someplace where he could properly enjoy the show. He knew the cause of this chaos, and it wasn't him. But that didn't keep him from enjoying what he saw. He was a bit of a prankster himself, if he might be so free. Messing with the order of things, disrupting or changing plans... that's his forte. The poor little thing responsible for this mess wasn't even aware of what it was doing, he was sure of it. Or was it...? That brief giggle he heard in the wind... The man was about to take a bite from his apple when suddenly, the apple was snatched from his hands and levitated away into a small alleyway. The man blinked in surprise, watching the apple disappear bite by bite before the alleyway was even reached. Now he did erupt into a full laughter. "Oh, you little bugger," he muttered before turning his attention back to the crowd full of cursing merchants, and people claiming to have seen a whole lot more than what had actually happened. Before noon it wouldn't be merely a basket that went flying up into the air, no... it would be a whole cart, a whole market stand! Aah, human nature at its finest.

Children are told from a young age how knights and kings work against dragons and rescuing princesses from tall towers. What children are not told about is how common life can be for places like this. Camelot, amidst is own troubles, wasn't as different from the world the five visitors came from. Just incredibly low technology. But still had trade, art, cuisines, nature, politics, religion; everything that made a society go 'round. And like Ebongrove especially, there was a looming darkness threatening it. Funny how in such a small amount of time these Sentinels had already proved to care so much about this cause...
The cowboy had taken time out of the past few days to head into the marketplace and purchase a hat. He felt so naked without one! After borrowing some currency, not having any of his own, he strolled into town and bought himself a nice hat. Versatile in style like the one he wears back home! Now this is Clay. He had been in his room within the castle provided for him by the others' rooms, his stomach grumbling up something fierce. He wanted to head over to the kitchens but he had heard the commotion. Reminded him of the day all of this stuff started for them. Momentarily he though of Erin and how different she seemed. Like she was keeping something from them? But what? That girl is something else, let him yell ta...yee doggy.
"I ain't heard chickens like that clucking about since last Thanksgiving. Well they was turkeys, but still lotsa cluckin'," he said, strong southern accent taking his words by storm. And in that he agreed to go check things out with Erin and whomever heard.

Benji, or Ben as he's trying to be called now, admired Camelot. He admittedly did not know as much as others did about the place but he had grown a liking for it. Especially the art and architecture. Just one wing of this castle could provide so much more room for kids at the orphanage! Imagine that, all of those kids running around playing and having a good time free of their troubles for a moment or two. Oh how he wished he could bring them here when danger passes. He himself also visited the markets in time passed. Trinkets caught his eye but he had a tick for anything artistic. Pottery mostly grabbed his eye when he was in the village/town. He'd spent much of the day in a common room in the castle, taking inspiration from most of the things he had saw here so far and painted a portrait. So far he's about half done. He hadn't heard the call to visit the market, but he could hear the commotion down there. Pots breaking, people sounding a bit off, he knew it was trouble. He pardoned himself from the easel and looked out the window, his hands firmly on the stone windowsill. He shook his head. If the others were going they could pass by on their way to get him.

Dylan had been thoroughly enjoying his time in Camelot. He would frequently exit the castle proper to mingle with the people. Visit the pub to tell stories, stories that would put the usual bards to shame for Dylan's panache and enthusiasm. As well as the "exotic" material he could draw from. Being a world stuck in the Medieval ages, the common man wasn't as literate in Greek myth or the One Thousand and One Nights. Dylan was always quick to confirm that the tales he spun were not of his own creation, but one hurdle that he understood after the fact but was a stumbling block initially was that his audience didn't care who "created" the story or if what he was saying was myth of history.

"Of course!" Dylan thought to himself and slapped his head at his own stupidity. "They have no concept of Death of the Author, of creative ownership rights, or that hearsay and legend is different from strict recording of events. The people that would be skeptical of a bard's tale, wouldn't be here listening to me tell one." It was a novel experience to say the least, having to work around one's usual frame of mind that the stories he's telling seemed truly alien and that even the role OF the storyteller was so radically different. Even if Dylan knew now that all myths are true, the history of Earth largely played out the same way it is recorded in the history books, just that the mythology books could be considered supplemental material. So not only was the distinction largely academic as far as he and his friends were concerned, to these people, there was no distinction, there world IS the Arthurian myth. So Dylan enjoyed his lauded place among the people as an orator of wondrous tales and a good man to spend time with.

He also left the castle to attend mass. He was sure the castle had a chapel or such, King Arthur was certainly pious in the myths, but Dylan still had no interest in sharing his space with His Majesty anymore than he had to. Instead, he went to St. George's Church just on the back end of town. It was actually on his knees in reflection after he received the Eucharist that Dylan realized how unfair his coolness to Arthur was. Regardless of Dylan's feelings toward the station and rank, Arthur was treating him as an honored guest and letting him stay under his roof. Dylan was, in effect, resenting a man who had fed and bedded him after an intense battle out of the charity of his heart. Dylan silently apologized to God and vowed to be more fair to His Majesty. He had been nothing but civil thus far, but the bare minimum was not enough. Of course, Dylan also prayed for he and his friends' situation. To give them strength in the battles to come against such a force of evil. He also lastly apologized for any missed masses going forward. He was quite certain that while he was fortunate to find a Church in Avalon, he was quite certain Olympus or Tian didn't have an archdiocese.

When he returned to the Castle, Dylan found the Man At Arms, the legendary Sir Kay. Who promptly cursed at Dylan for being late. Dylan paid it no heed as he picked up his blunt training sword and shield. As per the myth, Kay was like that to everyone, biting and boorish, he compensated though for being fearless and a great fighter. Which is why Dylan sought him out to teach him some new skills. There's only so much HEMA can get right from scrounged historical documents and here Dylan had an opportunity to be trained by one of THE Knights of the Round. It was during this sparring that Dylan heard Erin's call.

"Sure! I'll go- ow!" Dylan was whacked in the arm, the same arm that Erin was still feeling pain in.

"Whot you doing?! You wont to learn to fight or whot?"

"Apologies Sir Kay, I'll return when I'm able." He put his weapons away and bowed to his teacher. Showing more respect to the Knight that he had thus far to King Arthur.

From the very moment they had all arrived in Avalon things had certainly taken a turn. April personally enjoyed the wardrobe here. Dresses, fair maidens, beautiful hair styles, whatever looked like the Queen of England had personally oversaw its creation. She had spent most of the past few days just trying on different garments brought to her by some of the servants within the castle. Not at her request, just someone somewhere must have thought she'd like them! How kind!
April showed much concern for Erin, still. How she keeps that question between herself and Merlin is driving her crazy! As well as the illusive mystery of the Golden Sentinel they had all witnessed. He was real and he had to be someone here.
But that aside she was learning so much. Cooks were teaching her some better methods of cooking..she isn't too good a cook, so she needs the help. April did volunteer to help serve breakfast one morning between the first day and now! She would hope that people working in the castle liked her. She appreciated being served but she would never simply do nothing for herself. She liked to help and show respect for everyone, after all. Maybe not as much respect for King Arthur and some of the knights of his, however. As noble and strong as they may be they seemed a bit like...clotpoles.

Yet the esprit de corps she saw demonstrated between the Round Table members blew her mind. The Sentinels could learn a thing or two from the tight order of things like that... But speaking of order. April had been strolling through the castles halls not bothering anyone but herself. She was alone when echos coming from the windows filled the hallway. She lifted up the dress around her legs that was only barely in her way and observed. Something was going on down there that's for sure.

"I had better tell the others somethings up.." She commented to herself and walked down the hall, not having heard Erin just ask everyone if they wanted to go. She passed by the common room where Benji was. "Hey, come on, something's up!" She announced to him as she passed by and found the others before they were to leave.

Erin lightly shook her head and chuckled. "Ya know, I speak seven languages, but your Southern accent is something I just can't get used to," she told Clay. It was almost frustrating, really. So many things she can understand in so many languages, yet this one cowboy and his accent got her puzzled. "In another note... nice hat." The guy sure loved his hats, didn't he?

Erin and Clay ran into Benji and April in the common room. And ran into Dylan outside in the courtyard. She gave a polite dip of her head to Sir Kay, who only grumbled at his student leaving just like that. At the command of a woman, too! He wasn't really let in on what was happening with the dark magic. All he knew was that these five were sent here by some higher power. And that the fiery haired woman was their leader. Tsk.

And so the five of them made their way out of the courtyard and into the... lively city. It really was a chaos to behold. Baskets rolling on the ground, people trying to catch the escaped chickens, other people using the chaos to get some free vegetables and fruits that had "fallen off the carts".
Erin looked around. Watching the chaos up close instead of watching it from her window was quite different. Now she could actually hear fragments of what the people were saying. Apparently things had spontaneously started to fly around, and some things other than food had gone missing. A bit of a chill seemed to be in the air. Like how it always happens scary movies when there's a ghost around. She didn't really like the feeling of this, although it didn't feel like imminent danger. Just... something was off.
"You guys think Vorkalth is behind this?" she asked her friends.
---
Still sitting in the same spot near the fountain, having grabbed another apple to enjoy, sat the man in gray. He had noticed the five arriving on the market square, and couldn't help but chuckle to himself once again. These people sure looked like an interesting bunch altogether. And the there was the girl who's hair seemed to have stolen the fires of hell. Heh, now that was probably the most interesting thing he was seeing here. Other than the little bugger who had come out out the alleyway again. He could only vaguely spot belittle creature, as it was trying its best to hide. But there it was, pulling skirts and throwing apples at the angriest merchants. Again the man laughed. Oh, this one was going to be a handful.
---
In the woods outside the castle, something darker lingered. Gawain was there, still on watch as Merlin had asked of him. Okay, he had also told him to come back the moment he found something, which he had... but Gawain was onto something here, and he didn't want to return to the castle empty handed and with just rumors and that eerie feelings. There was an unusual mist lingering between the trees here, and something in the atmosphere pressed heavily on the air. There was that noise again! Voices, voices in the wind, in the woods. Grunts and grumbled, screams and screeches. They were back. There were memories at the far edge of his soul. This was bad. The Sentinels didn't seem to be the same as before. He had to get back to Camelot and tell Merlin their suspicions were true.

"Funny, you ain't the first person in Camelot to comment on my accent," Clay said to Erin as they soon met up with the others by the common room and in the courtyard. Really, considering how posh-like and everything as people sound in this era his accent should be a breeze. But given how thick it is it does leave room for some understanding issues.
He tipped his hat to her before meeting with the others. "Oh, why thank ya," he said. He did like hats!
Benji quickly looked behind him when April poked her head through the doorway. Something was up, something was always up. Never just saying 'hi Benji'....oh well, pretend sadness later! He nodded to her and followed her, meeting up with the others soon thereafter. When they found Dylan he had to ask him something. "Hey Dylan, that Sir Kay...I know he's like training you somehow but...do you think he would pose for a painting? C'monnnn help me out," he said super casual. He just really wanted to paint a knight here! Really anyone of importance!

When they had all gotten to the center of commotion both men paused. People going on and on, stuff all over the place, a strange tingle in the air. Never a good sign. What a formula to follow, huh? "I don't know if Vorkalth did this. I mean everything looks out of whack but are there not usually more monsters and everything when he attacks?" Benji asked as Erin spoke.
Clay nodded his head and picked up a broken piece of pottery from the ground, inspecting it carefully. "Nah...I don't think it was him either. Looks like this here pot was broken on accident. Not smashed up by a Spawner foot or anything. Think something else is behind it?" asked the cowboy. No evident attack it would appear so maybe something else is at work. Or someone else is at work.

April traveled to the city with the others and saw what was going on with the marketplace. It looked like a Thanksgiving rush at the diner coupled with a few upset hockey fans after a game in a bar somewhere. Wrecked and just plain messy. Chickens running all around made her nervous as people tried catching them. Why do chickens on the run make her feel weird? Maybe because she's had to witness some of them being slaughtered before for patties... Speaking of food, a lot of it seemed to be all over the place. Hopefully not all of it was wasted, some of it has to be still good! People can't go without food can they? They surely can not. "I'm with Benji and Clay..." April commented following Clay showed everyone the broken pot and Benji raised a good point. "If the Legion was behind this we would know. Or at least Merlin or someone would have told us. Really it looks like someone in the village just went a little nuts."

Dylan was in agreement with his friends.
"Lots of problems can be had in this world, mundane or otherwise. Even if what's going in is supernatural in nature, I don't think it's Vorkalth. He's like Zeus or Poseidon, when he does something, he wants you to know that it is him. This is too contained for it to be his doing." Dylan paused for a moment. "I mean, not a Vorkalth expert or anything but you did ask." He shrugged.

"Fair point," Erin nodded. True, usually when Vorkalth or the forces of evil were behind chaos, there'd be Spawners running around, monsters attacking, the sky turning pitch black... Her arm would be hurting like shit and everyone would be a loooooot more afraid than they were now. Now people were just gossiping, it seemed. And, as Dylan pointed out, when it was Vorkalth behind it, the guy wanted you to know it was him. And whatever force was behind this had yet to make themselves known. still, judging by the amount of people she heard chattering about things starting to fly, it could be assumed it was something eitehr magical, supernatural, or both.
"I'm telling ya, it was at least 6 foot tall. It flipped me cart over as if it were nuthin' " said one merchant.
" It was throwinsg cabbages at the guard!" another woman shouted. All people telling different stories, one even more exssesive than the other. And none were quite the same. Erin shook her head, listening to all the different stories coming from all sides. She couldn't help but lightly chuckle at Clay inspecting he broken pot and concluding it hadn't shattered because of a Spawner stepping on it.
"Welcome to CSI Avalon. Today the case of escaped chickens and chaos all around," she muttered. She picked some apples off the ground and approached a nearby merchant, helping him put the apples back in a basket.
"Thank you, milady," the merchant said, tipping his hat.
"It was no problem," Erin smiled politely, giving the man a small bow. Oh wait... noble ladies didn't bow to common merchants, did they? "Ehm... if I might ask.... what just happened here? My friends and I only just arrived."
The merchant looked to both his sides before telling the Sentinels in a hushed voice: "There be ghosts here. Restless spirits wreaking havoc. It's the end of times, I tell you!"

Well... Erin could at least imagine the man had to think that. First dark magic, then the dark cloud of Vorkalth speaking over the woods, then the fight with the Megazord and a giant Glatisant... And now this! Plus... she couldn't have been the only one to see something strange was going on in the woods, was she? Last night she was sure she heard... unusual noises coming from there. And there was this mist.. Okay that might just have been normal fog, but mist plus noises plus mythical world plus dark magic equaled trouble. "Ghosts..." she softly repeated before glancing to her friends. "Ghosts," she said again. First the Fishermen Spirits, and now even more ghosts? How fun! Not.

As they continued their way over the market square, Erin's eyes fell on a man sitting somewhat off to the side. Okay, he was sitting in plain sight on the edge of the fountain, but he wasn't mingling himself in all the chaos. In fact, he seemed to rather enjoy watching. And f there's one thing that's odd in a chaotic mythical world, it's someone who seems completely unfazed. Unless it was Merlin, but this man definitely wasn't Merlin... And there wasn't quite enough mention of male dark sorcerers for her to presume this man was evil. But... it seemed rather obvious to her this man knew more of what's going on than other people around. Erin crossed her arms and looked at him.
"I don't know why, but that fellow there seems... suspicious. He's enjoying this chaos a bit too much," she told her friends. After the others had their chances to respond to Erin's thoughts, the man looked their way and smiled.
"You could also just walk over and come chat, dearies," he said, waving them over.
Erin gulped for two reasons. One, he had heard them... Two... the way he called them "dearies" sure reminded her of someone else.

While they wandered over to the man, chaos yet again ensued. But this time by something a lot more obvious than random objects flying around. A knight stormed through the gates, leaning over his horse.
"Out of the way! Move! Move!" he called to the people, rushing straight for the castle. Whelp... another something going on, it seemed. The Knight sure seemed to be in a hurry to get to the castle.
---
Gawain rushed over the square, past the people and heading straight for the stabled. He nearly jumped off his horse, leaving the stableboy to tend to it while he immediately rushed into the throne room. Gawain panted, his face pale and sweaty as if the devil himself had been chasing him.
"Gawain, what...?" Arthur started.
"I have to speak with Merlin," Gawain said. Normally he wouldn't be so short and blunt, but this was an emergency.
"Well, as if happens, uncle requested I'd send you his way when you would show up..." Arthur paused, taking a look at the exhausted knight. "How bad is it?"
"They are back," Gawain said. "I've heard their voices in the wind, seen their silhouettes in the mist. They're marching this way."

CSI Avalon could make a mighty fine skit to do for some children. Granted they would have to explain what the CSI was to them. Something to maybe perk up some kids in distress one day? There were always kids in distress somewhere near evil. Better than teaching them artistic stuff they may not care about too much or instruct them on wrangling bulls.

Merchants and common people were saying all sorts of funny things but the part about spirits stuck out the most. Had they not already dealt with ghosts before? The guys shot a look at April, thinking it may have it an extra soft spot for her. Though with the madness that had gone on recently and a variety of mystical-like things occurring ghosts may not be the worst things that came to mind. Accurate maybe if the setting was right. Any fancy ghost stories about this place they should all be aware of? Once again Benji had been struck with inspiration for art. That guy gets inspired by everything! Keep this up and he should be able to open his own gallery one day full of things inspired by Sentinel journeys.
Nothing added up. Nobody felt like Vorkalth was behind this and the traces only led to blind speculation. A man off to the side further down the area caught the eyes of the five. "I will be a monkeys cousins uncle," Clay said as he too noted the suspicious man just enjoying the chaos. He must be behind this! Benji eyed him and gulped. He may have powers, may be dangerous.
He addressed them as Fate did. "Dearies? You guys think Fate has a brother we don't know about?" Benji asked the others and looked between them and the stranger.

Before that had time to get feedback a knight on horseback galloped through the path faster than lightning. Nearly hit Benji! Clay's hat was shook by the wind off of them, too, spinning around. "Watch it now!" Clay called to the horseman. Nutcase. The guys stood with the stranger and eyed him up and down, wary as they should be.

"Enough with the paranormal activity already," April muttered to herself. She gripped the sides of her pretty dress tightly in a annoyance. The man spouting out bits about ghosts or whatever hit a little bit too close to home. She gladly helped anyone who needed it in town but she cared nothing for hearing about ghosts! Sure the fishermen were nice spirits that got corrupted and eventually freed. Sure they were promising to look after them from above, below, wherever the passed on end up. Beautiful sentiment which she severely appreciated! But no more ghosts! Cue a teeth chatter, total talking-dog-with-a-groovy-gang-solving-mysteries style. Now she needs a treat...

She looked at the guy who enjoyed it all. Creep. "What a creep, smirking at everything when people are scared," she commented. Her throat cleared when he called to them, however. And boy did she agree that he could easily be Fate's brother by how he referred to them. "I hope not, because if she does this may be her creep brother," April said to Benji and started walking over to the guy, instantly taking back the 'creep' part. If he's as tough as he is well-hearing she would rather not face his wrath! Her dress flew up in the wind from the racing horsemen through the path, almost knowing them down like bowling balls. Close one!

"Hey there Ode." (Pronounced sort of like Otto. Medieval names. *shrug*) Dylan greeted the merchant. This was one of the many people Dylan had become somewhat acquainted with during his time here. It did shake him a little to see his friend in such distress. "Don't fret my good friend. Camelot is safe under the goodly protection of King Arthur, his court, and the grace of God." Dylan tried to comfort the man. When the man in the hood spoke to them, Dylan was skeptical that such a man was the cause of all this chaos even if he seemed to be enjoying it. Not every audience of mischief is himself a mischief maker after all.

Not that it mattered as a knight came barreling through before the group could engage the stranger. Dylan grabbed Benji and pulled him out of the way of the charging horse. "You all right buddy?" He asked. His eyes trailed back to the knight as he turned the corner. "Is that . . .?"

Erin was glad Benji seemed to be alright after they were nearly run over by the knight. Ah, medieval times, where it was expected of the common folk to jump out the the knights' way. Not that they looked like common folk... But a knight in a hurry was a knight in a hurry, no? Erin was pretty certain the five of them would nearly run over anyone in Ebongrove too if they didn't have the portals and had to get to the scene of an attack. Wait a moment... did that mean...? Great, now Erin was worried again. Not that there was a lot of time to worry. With the knight off to the castle, the Rangers had a moment to speak with the cloaked man enjoying the chaos.

"Who... or what in the world are you?" Erin asked bluntly, getting right to the point. If the man was even taken aback by her directness, it lasted for only a moment. He chuckled, taking a moment to seize up the five people in front of him. He tapped his chin, thinking for a moment.
"Now that, dearie, is an excellent question. What am I... Someone enjoying this chaos, with such a sharp hearing... I can't be a human, right? I know that's what you're thinking." Now Erin felt creeped out. She stepped back ever so slightly, bumping into Clay and grabbing onto him... until she realized what she was doing and quickly let him go. She wasn't some scared damsel in distress, dammit! Whereas Fate scared her a bit when she turned from an owl into a woman, this man scared her on a whole different level. Although she didn't know why she compared the man to Fate in the first place. Must be because she calls them dearies too all the time. The man pulled back his hood, revealing features undeniably similar to Fate. What was that just now about Benji jokingly asking if Fate had a brother?
"Well, you're right to assume I'm not as human as I might look. I'm as foreign to this place as the five of you are. But whereas you people can be certain you're humans... Me, I'm not so sure. I've been around for so long..." He paused, still watching the five Rangers with an amused twinkle in his eyes. He leaped up with grace and elegance. And now that he stood, it was revealed just how tall the man was. Another something that made him stand out among the crowd of Camelot. "The name's Chance, pleasure to meet you," he said, bowing before them. "And the five of you... are the latest generation of Sentinels, chosen by the hands of Fate. I can see the Essencia flowing through your souls. Now, care to introduce yourselves as well?"
Erin opened her mouth to say something, then closed it again. She looked at her friends, not sure what to make of this situation. Chaos, an odd creepy man called Chance who knew what they were... Freaky. Almost on a Vorkalth-level. Minus the burning pain in her arm. One thing was certain... she did NOT intend on introducing herself first.
---
Gawain had rushed through the hidden passages to get to Merlin's lair, nearly forgetting how to use the light spell so he couldn't lose his way down there. Rushing makes one forgetful, at times. Nearly out of breath, he ran inside, pointing at the part of the Scrying Window showing the woods while catching his breath.
"Gawain! Take it easy, boy," Merlin patted the knight on the shoulder, trying to calm him down.
Gawain just kept pointing. "They're... back..." he said, slowly regaining the ability to speak. "Mist in the woods, voices from the beyond. The Old Warriors are marching."
"Did you have another of your visions?" Merlin asked cautiously. This wouldn't be the first time the poor knight recalled things that had happened in the past, or showed clairvoyance regarding something that was bound to happen in the near future. Gawain's visions were always such a handy guideline for Merlin to keep track of where in the timeline this world was. But Gawain feverishly shook his head.
"No... not s vision. The Ryxens... Deep in the woods... That burst of dark magic woke them up, I think."

Dusting himself off with dignity, Benji nodded at his friends. "I'm alright. Some people need to hold their horses, though..." he muttered. And believe it or not, no pun intended. Clay awkwardly shuffled to the side when Erin shrugged him off. Pardon...
Both men looked at the stranger with open eyes and ears. He was rather tall and definitely different. Like part of him was a part of them and yet also not at the same time. His very presence just set an odd feeling in their guts. Maybe him being not entirely human added to that. He said it himself. He is weird! Cautiously, the guys spread out with their friends away from him as the man stood with grace and introduced himself. Chance. Another being named after a term? Strange.
"Are we sure he isn't related to Fate?" Benji asked everyone again. Chance, Fate...maybe there's a third person named Accident. Full circle, no?

Clay tipped his hat to him and Benji just gave him a look. He senses Essencia and knew who they were? At least who they served as, not personally he didn't. When someone knows you but you do not know them you every right to be cautious and ready to shout 'stranger danger' and run for the nearest adult. Oh wait, they are the nearest adults. Shit. Then the nearest...elderly person that isn't illiterate or drunk. This place is basically the medieval times after all. "If your name is Chance that must mean something...like you're the personification of that stuff?" Clay asked as intelligently as he could but still retaining his thick southern accent. Charming, really! "Name is Clay, by the way, Earth and Grondo are my things, mighty fine to meet ya there and your weird self," he greeted politely. Sort of anyway. Why address this strange person in a not strange way?
Benji huffed and dusted himself off. "I'm Benji. Nature, Sylvan and all that stuff. No offense Chance but you seem a little odd. Like you're up to something," he said. Paranoia setting in? Why did he feel like Chance wasn't the one responsible for the chaos here, though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back