Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticing that Ander looked upset, Tyrius wondered what had happened that could upset a man of the cloth. "Please, call me Tyrius." offered the red headed sorcerer. 'With Ander looking that upset, I wonder what happened to his friend. Still, it's not my place to pry.' Tyrius thought.

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor

Sidwae nodded as Virra spoke, "Hired you, hm? With whose funds I wonder..."

She gave a long sigh before looking downward towards Virra, "Chilldrift you say? You're quite a way from there. Did you get blown here by the wind, or did you come for something more specific. I would think Seetal could keep you busy enough, or even Azarad, instead of wandering all the way over here to the coast."

As the pair walk through hallways, servants that are passed bow their heads before continuing on, busy with their respective tasks. Eventually they approach a grand staircase leading down to the first level, as Sidwae continues, "I cannot promise Benito will actually stay in Porthca long enough to truly hire you, however at the very least I can offer you dinner for the injury you nearly sustained."

De'Porthca Manor | First Floor

Entering from the back of the Manor, it's clear to see this entrance is more meant for servants and deliveries. Boots covered in mud from maintaining the garden are placed to the side, the kitchen is easily visible with its storage cloest, the two cooks peer around the doorway, curious at the crowd entering, slightly surprised to see Benito perhaps as well. Smells of cooking food have truly begun to spread throughout the home, following the group as they move forward -- vegetables can be heard frying in pans, the warm scent of a roast flowing through the air, fresh bread baking in the ovens.

Though for Benito all of this is business as usual, for the rest of you this is a very ornate home. The flooring is fine marble, with rugs placed to help break up hallway, expensive art lines the walls, occasional family portraits can be seen, going back the generations of De'Porthcas -- a few have obvious shared traits with Benito, notably the black hair.

Moving forward from the back of the house and turning a corner into the main entryway, a voice speaks and as the group turns to look, they see an older woman in dark silks with brown hair braided and resting on her shoulder, dark green eyes scrutinizing the party, a familiar gnome by her side. The blue gems on her neck move slightly from her steps as she moves down the stairway, "Ah, well then. I suppose that answers that: Benito hasn't left just yet."

Reaching the bottom of the steps she bows slightly towards the others, "On behalf of the De'Porthcas, welcome to our manor, I've heard a little of your day so far, and it appears we'll have plenty of guests for dinner."

Sidwae raised her head, "I am Madame Sidwae De'Porthca, dinner shall be finished shortly, if any of you wish to ... clean up before we eat." Glancing towards Benito she continued, "I know it's not 'tavern comfort food' but hopefully it will suffice all the same."

"Oh, wonderful." Benito commented, hardly pleased with the situation. "Lovely to see you Madame De'Porthca. I was just looking for Virra, she must have gotten lost while I was searching for Lady Joane." He gave a slight, begrudged bow before straightening back up. "I'll be here at least three days for the funeral, and longer if that's what it takes to learn what happened to my brother. Sorry you won't be rid of me so soon this time." Ben seemed tense as he addressed the woman, "And I'm sure dinner will be fine."

His eyes focused on Virra, "I'm glad you received a... welcome. Sorry I couldn't make the introduction." Then he went about introducing the others, "Madame De'Porthca, this is Lord Tyrius Silverbane of Wyford, he worked with Cyne and attended Azarad with me. This is Eliza Carabelli of Chilldrift, a friend from Azarad, and my guest in this house. She'll be staying at least until the funeral, we'll need to find a room for her. The last is Anders of the Morning Lord, from Lokil, he came because he heard of the circumstances of Cyne's passing and hoped to find a connection between the recent deaths an some tragedy on his home island. Kadaern, whoever that is, brought him." Ben looked around to make sure Joane and Robern were not near as he finished, "Good to see security is so effective after Cyne was murdered." The last of his introduction cut like a vorpal blade.

Not all of Sidwae's veiled barbs were lost on Virra, but even she knew better than to rise to them. "Well, I'd be lying if I said I have no reason to be here," she said breezily. "When you spend twenty years growing up in Chilldrift, a career in a city like Porthca starts to look enticing. I can scarcely imagine how it must feel to have the ocean on your doorstep... and the temperature! I don't know how you natives can cope." Noticing that her tone was slpping into the informal, she gradually trailed off into a semi-comfortable silence as they wound their way through the halls. The backhanded offer of a meal almost provoked her, but she fought down the urge to laugh or scowl. For a noble dinner, she'd put up with a good deal more.

At the sight of the familiar shapes at the bottom of the grand staircase she smiled broadly and suppressed the urge to wave. She scanned their faces more closely as she and Sidwae descended, focusing in particular on Benito and Eliza. She liked Tyrius well enough, but he was only tertiary to her interests. And the man looming behind them was more of a head-tilter. At first Virra took him for another servant of the house - he certainly looked human enough - but his vestments told a different story. Even if Sidwae were the type to keep a holy man on staff for religious functions, Virra was quite sure she wouldn't tolerate his lack of cleanliness. Or his almost unholy size. Of course, it would have been hard for Virra to miss the tension in Benito's voice as he made the introductions, and the force behind his final statement was lost on no-one. But she could have hugged him for making it. She even had the best position in the room for observing the fallout.

Glancing sidelong at Madame Sidwae, she tucked her hands behind her back and kept silent. For the moment at least, she could afford to be demure.

Ander stayed back away from the woman who had addressed the group in such a dismissive tone. He looked at his vestments when she mentioned cleaning up and realised quickly that having just gotten off the boat and spending most of the afternoon outside had left him fairy unpresentable. He was so used to eating with the brothers and sisters at the temple, where your outward appearance was never an issue, that he had forgotten the etiquette rules he had read in the library.

Embarassed, he went to the nearest member of the staff to ask for help. "I don't have anything else to wear, but I don't wanna embarrass myself. Is there anyone here who could help me?"

Sidwae idly waved a hand at Benito's comments, "That's not a tone to be using in front of guests, Benito. I know these are difficult times, but we must still understand what is expected of us." She slightly bowed her head towards the others, snapping her fingers towards the closest servant -- stopping them in their path.

Timidly they spoke, "Yes, Madame?"

Gesturing towards the group, Sidwae continued, "Organize one of the guest rooms for this one," she pointed towards Eliza, "as well as rooms for the others I suppose. It would not do to ignore a guest of our business, Lord Silverbane, nor should we cast out the rest of Benito's guests. Help get them cleaned up for dinner as well." The servant bowed before rushing off. "Of course you bring friends in the midst of mourning," Sidwae's gaze came to rest on Benito. "I spoke with a 'Kadaern' earlier, and he mentioned some man had come offering his aid, yet when I sent a servant to fetch him he appeared to have left. It seems instead we are due another shift in employment if he was merely left to wander the grounds." Some of the nearby servants quickened their pace as they moved past.

Bootsteps could be heard on the second level, paired with smaller lighter steps as yet another figure approached, this one an older gentleman, his hair dark black, but streaks of grey here and there. Tired deep green eyes looked down at the party, with a faint smile as he recognized Benito. On his right, Joane was holding his hand, her clothes still dark fabrics but cleaned up, her braid fixed as well. Held on his left hip was a younger boy, his hair matching closer to Sidwae as his head rested on the man's shoulder, eyes brown, dressed similar to the older man: dark grey and black fabrics, a deep blue sash acting as a belt across the waist. "Now, love, I'm sure everyone's just tired from all that's happened. We don't need to be trying to hire a whole new crew right now." Compared to Sidwae's cold and crisp voice, he spoke with a warm soothing tone -- it carried through the air as hers did, but did not make one nearly as tense.

The trio stepped down the stairs, Joane sneaking a small wave to Ander as they did so, until they were all on the same level. Adjusting his hold on the boy, the man looked around at the party, tilting his head slightly to meet Ander's eyes before finishing back at Benito, clapping a hand on his shoulder. "I know you two aren't on the best of terms, but this is not the time for old wars." The small boy gave a short wave to Benito before turning away again, seemingly not interested in the others. "I see interesting people before me, with tales to tell I'm sure, and I look forward to hearing them over a wonderful meal. I think I overheard others have had their own misfortune, Lokil was it?" He shook his head, sighing sadly, "It's disappointing what the world is coming to when even a peaceful place like that must suffer."

Joane tugged on the man's sash, "Daddy, introduce yourself!" Sidwae frowned towards Joane for a moment before Joane gave a small cough, "I mean, the guests should be informed of who they're speaking with. It's only proper."

Chuckling the man gently placed his hand on Joane's head before smiling, "Ah yes, Joane, how could I forget? I suppose I've become used to it being done for me. Hello and welcome to the De'Porthca Manor my friends, I am Anthol De'Porthca, head of the De'Porthca family. It seems misfortune has led many to our home," his face looked very tired for a moment before continuing, "however it does not do us, nor Cyne's memory, justice to only spend this time in sorrow. Like two sides of the same coin, just as there is sorrow, there is joy." Anthol smiled towards the group, "I would very much care for some joy tonight, when my boy Benito has returned once more."

Winston follows the carriage through the town until it stops at the cobbler's shop, and he ducks into the "Steel Canary Provisions." Winston walks among the other inhabitants of the shop, browsing the goods, all the while keeping an eye outside on the carriage. He walks around the shop for quite some time before being questioned by the owner if he was going to buy something, to which Winston had to finally cough up some gold for some prepared strips of jerky. When he went outside to find another place to watch the carriage from, he realized that it was nowhere in sight; the shop owner must have distracted him just long enough for the carriage to get away.

Cursing the shop owner, Winston walks around a bit until he finds a street vendor who must have seen something, and he walks up to the man and pretends to be interested in whatever he was selling, but at the first opportunity in the conversation he asked, "Hey -- that carriage that was here a little while ago, you wouldn't have happened to see where it went would you?" The vendor just shrugs his shoulders and says, "Iunno, back to the De'Porthca manor probably?" Winston thanked the man and managed to get directions from him as to where the manor was, and quickly darted off into the street before the vendor could try and talk him into buying anything.

After a good amount of time trying to follow the vague directions, he managed to find the large two story manor and sneaked behind a set of bushes in preparation to stake out the activity of the house. It wasn't long before Winston recognized the driver from earlier unpacking the carriage and bringing things inside periodically, until finally the man was climbing into the carriage itself and tossing things around, clearly panicking as he searched the cart for something. The realization dawned on Winston that this poor servant was searching for the box that he currently had in his possession, and he was saddened to realize that this man could get in a large amount of trouble for something that wasn't his fault, merely because Winston was looking for some extra spending money. Sighing to himself, Winston retraced his steps to enter the town, then doubled back to head towards the manor, so that if anyone was watching it looked as if he was coming from the town not a hiding place on the manor's grounds. Playing up the exertion of jogging from the town up to this manor, as Winston neared the driver's frantic search he called out "Hail! You there -- driver!" Having announced his presence Winston slowed his pace as he approached James, before stopping in front of him apparently out of breath. He digs into his pack and pulls out the small box he had recovered from the carriage and holds it up in the air "I found this...on the ground...back when I saw you last in town...I asked around town and...people said that this was the De'Porthca's manor...whew, sorry I ran all the way here to give you this. Thought it seemed fairly important, I hope that you weren't looking for it too long."

"At least..." Ben started as he heard the familiar gate of his father coming from above. He held his tongue, smiling as Anthol appeared on the stairs. With the hand he held on his bow, he waved at Robern, "There's no war, I was simply expressing my concern that Anders was allowed to wander the grounds so soon after this terrible tragedy, and I found him out back with Joane. It seems Sidwae and I were in agreement that security could be... more cautious given the circumstances." He left it at that, trying to find some common ground despite his disappointment about the situation and obvious disdain for the woman.

After his father's introduction and comments, Benito sighed, "Yes, let's enjoy dinner, but not because I am home. We should enjoy it because we're together. Surrounded by friends and family." He smiled, "It's good to be home, father. I intend to stay a while this time, with your permission of course." He bowed his head respectfully, "We can speak on it after dinner, in your study. I brought you a gift - an apology. But first, I should change into something more appropriate and get washed up." He waited to be dismissed.

De'Porthca Manor | By the Gate

At first hearing the footsteps approach behind him, James quickly straightens and spins around, "Sir! -- I'm so so-- ... wait. I think I remember you." He seems to watch Winston for a moment with a frown before his eyes catch on the box, "Ah! Yes, I was actually just looking for that now. May I have it?"

Sidwae appeared to reappraise Benito as she heard him actually agree with her for once before taking the boy off of Anthol's hip and instead carrying him herself. Joane still hung by his other side as Anthol spoke, "Of course -- I always enjoy when you're here Benito, reminds me of when I couldn't walk through this home without stumbling on arrows left strewn about." He smiled, "I look forward to your gift as well, but yes -- dinner preparations should be finished. Your guests can clean themselves up from their travels, I'm sure we have some spare clothes if they wish to borrow them as well. As you know we've got a near army of servants if any of them require help or don't wish to get lost."

Reciprocating Madame Sidwae’s slight bow reflexively, Tyrius felt a little uncomfortable with how barbed she was being towards Benito. ‘Maybe she’s just acting out of grief,’ thought Tyrius, ‘But still, Ben is grieving too, he doesn’t deserve this.’

As he was introduced, Tyrius gave another bow of his head out of respect. Hearing Ander speak, Tyrius was a little annoyed at how Sidwae had embarrassed the man of the cloth but kept his annoyance to himself. ‘I doubt mother would ever make anyone feel uncomfortable in our house the way Madam De’Porthca just did. Still, each to their own.’

At the appearance of Benito’s father, Tyrius felt himself relaxing after the tension of the light quarrel between Benito and Sidwae. Listening quietly as Benito explained the situation, Tyrius wondered if they were relaxing the way he was in the presence of Benito’s father.

“Thank you very much for your warm welcome, Madam De’Porthca,” said Tyrius, thinking it best to be polite. ‘Hopefully dinner won’t be as tense,’ thought Tyrius to himself, ‘I wonder if Eliza is feeling alright with all this mother and son bickering unfolding?’ Spotting Virra on the stairs, Tyrius wondered what she'd been doing upstairs.

Eliza completely missed the barbs flying around her and was only jolted out of her thoughts when she heard one of the servants calling out her name. "Miss Eliza? Miss?" She wondered how long the servant was standing there trying to get her attention, "Oh...yes?".

"Would you like me to show you to your room?" The servant gestured behind her towards the stairway.

"Yes, I would like that, thank you." Eliza followed her through the manor, up the stairs and down the hallway to reach a door on the left. The room looked smaller than she expected and sparse, but still comfortable enough. She took of her bag and lay on the bed feeling tired. She bend down to her bag and grabbed her mother's last letter. Re-reading it for the hundredth time she felt a kind of strange calm wash over her. One day at a time...one day at a time...

She reached into her pocket and took out Faust, "wake up sleepy-head, we need to try to look presentable for dinner." She lay him beside the washbin on the vanity and wet a nearby hand towel placing it near the mouse. "Get yourself cleaned up." Giving Faust one last scratch between the ears she started getting changed into her finer clothes.

Faust meanwhile gave out a squeaky yawn and started to scrub his ears and face with the towel.

One she was done, she grabbed one final thing out of her bag and went to Faust, "Now, now, I know you don't like it but no complaints." Faust sighed in defeat and stood still while Eliza tied a tiny red bowtie on him. "Stop fidgeting now I am almost done...now, don't you look handsome?" Faust's snort was answer enough.

Placing Faust back in his pocket, the pair headed over to dinner trying not to look as scared as they felt.

Winston gives the man a bow, still panting, and said "Winston Wiseacre, at your service. And yes, we met in the town briefly, and a few minutes after that I happened upon this here box off to the side of the road, and I assumed it just had to be yours. Took me quite some time to track you down though, I'm new in town and I must have gotten lost half a dozen times!" Winston chuckles slightly at his own misfortune, then steps forward towards James and holds out the box. "Of course you may have it, it is yours after all isn't it?"

De'Porthca Manor | By the Gate

James carefully takes the box, checking the lock briefly. "Not mine exactly, but very important to me at the moment." Rocking on his heels for a moment, the man seems to be considering something before he sighs. "I can't officially give you anything for returning this, however, I do feel Lord Benito would like to give his thanks to the one who found this for him. I uh ... if it had been lost, probably was going to be fired. And then some, potentially."

Winston raises his eyebrows as James explains he might have been fired or worse if he didn't find this box, then adopts a jovial expression as he says "Well then it's mighty lucky I came along! I would have hated for you to lose your job over something as simple as losing a box, it seems so...trivial I guess is the word I'm looking for. And I would love to meet this 'Lord Benito, I am curious to see what kind of man would fire his employee's for something like this. Oh, and don't worry, I won't throw you under the carriage for losing this, we will keep the focus on my being in the right place at the right time." Winston gives James a wink and then smiles as he follows the servant inside. The smile quickly fades once the man's back is turned, as Winston berates himself for not being able to open this lock. It's clear that whatever this was would have fetched quite a pretty penny, and he would have been able to walk away a happy man, no longer needing to follow this damnable noble...but there was still time. Winston made sure to keep his eyes open as he entered the manor, trying to spot anything of value that he might be able to take to make this trip worthwhile.

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor: Benito's Room

Cradling the box in his arms, James bows towards Winston before gesturing for him to follow. Leading Winston through the home he makes sure to lead you along the servant routes, almost looking like he's keeping an eye out for someone as the pair move through the Manor. Winston in looking around notes some art pieces that look quite nice, a few ornate rugs along the marble flooring, good quality fabrics for curtains ... however James does not allow you much time to take in anything beyond that as he leads you up the stairs and towards a room by the back of the house.

Currently the door sits closed before James knocks on it gently, "Lord Benito? If I may, I have someone you might wish to meet, regarding your gift for Master Anthol."

If Benito opened the door, he'd find James bowing while holding the box for Benito to take, a rough looking halfling standing at his side that ... looks familiar for some reason.

Having made enough observations to chew over for the time being, Virra happily allowed herself to be led away by a helpful servant. She whistled aloud at the sight of the spare room she was directed to, its every inch still more luxurious than someone like her could have expected. The thrill was marred only slightly by the provided clothes, which looked suspiciously like they had been pulled straight out of an eight-year-old's wardrobe. Still, when else would she get the chance to dress up all in silk and frills like this?

The newly-attired Virra flexed a little, took a look at herself in the vanity mirror and giggled. "But mother, we had black caviar yesterday," she mock-whined, almost sending herself into a fit with laughter. Sadly, a quick rummage through the dresser did not reveal a matching bonnet, or even a pastel-coloured bow. For shame. With nothing else to complete the look, she decided to keep hold of the child's gloves that she'd bought from Isotharic. They still needed to be worn in, after all.

Once she was kitted out, she made her way back downstairs without any diversions. Considering her need to sit cross-legged, it would be best if she arrived early and perhaps found a seat out of Madame Sidwae's line of sight. Next to Eliza, if Virra could help it; by now she'd been apart from the half-orc a little longer than she wanted. Failing that, the man called Ander would probably be good to hide behind...

Benito opens the door of his room, and stands shirtless in dark grey pants, toweling the last of the shaving cream off his face as he addressed James, "It's about time James, I was worried you'd lost it with your careless driving." Laying the towel on his shoulder he takes the box and places it on a small table by the door. The room behind him was sparse and muted. It contained a large bed with simple sheets, on top of which lied a fine black tunic and a vest that matched the pants Ben was wearing. Against the wall was a small wash basin with a mirror hung over it, a small shaving kit including a straight razor and fine brush were laid next to the bowl. Another door presumably led to a closet, but it was closed. There was also a large leather chest bound in iron at the foot of the bed with a large, heavy lock. The nightstand was a simple table baring only a single candle, but no matches, and a framed picture of a woman with long, curly blonde hair and blue eyes, in front of her two young boys, one a bit older than the other both with jet black hair and light green eyes, her arm wrapped around the younger of the two, and behind her a bearded man with jet black hair and dark green eyes, his arm around her and a hand on the elder child's shoulder, they all wore bright smiles and their clothes were shades of blue.

He regards the halfling, taking a moment to place his face. "You seem... familiar. Haven't I see you hocking your questionable wares around Azarad?" Ben asks suspiciously before recalling he'd seen the same halfing earlier that morning speaking with James outside the carriage. "Wait a moment, didn't you have a conversation with James next to my carriage when he almost ran over that gnomish woman? What exactly do you have to do with my father's gift?" Ben seems suspicious of both James and the halfling, his eyes drift for a moment to the box, worried about the contents being broken, missing, or replaced, even poisoned. "Out with it." He states with the authority as one hand slips behind the door toward his belt and bow which were hung on the wall out of sight as Sidwae had insisted, worried what people might think if he had weapons strewn about.

Following one of the servants upstairs and through the corridors, Tyrius glanced at the portraits on the walls. A lot of finely painted portraits of finely dressed people. A few of which had features similar to Ben’s. As they stopped by a door, Tyrius said, “Thank you” and gave a polite nod before walking into the room.

Looking at the large double bed, Tyrius felt a little sleepy but decided against having a nap. Instead, he placed his quarterstaff against the edge of the bed, took off his coat and removed both of his daggers from the inside pockets. ‘No sense in walking to dinner geared up for battle.’ thought Tyrius, ‘Even if Ben’s impression of his step mother, while a little exaggerated, was very accurate.’ Tyrius remembered a few of the nights out the two had shared over drinks where Benito had discussed Madam De’Porthca. Taking off his coat, Tyrius started to bundle the daggers in his coat before putting the bundle in a drawer. ‘May as well leave the quarterstaff too.’

Walking over to the mirror, Tyrius checked his hair was still neatly combed. Not a red hair out of place. Checking over his shirt, Tyrius slid the drawer open, took the Azarad pin off the lapel and put it in his trouser pocket. ‘Don’t think anyone would come around stealing, but I’d feel better if I kept this pin on me just in case.’

Winston does not seem to notice Benito's bare chest, making direct eye contact with a large, clean shaven smile on his face. The smile doesn't falter at all when Benito recognizes him from Azarad, instead the smile actually widens and Winston chuckles. "Aye, I was selling minor magical items to tourists, but I wouldn't say they were questionable. I was never one gifted in the arcane arts anyways; that was just a job to get me out of the city, but you have a very good memory sir, I can't say that I can say the same about myself, I couldn't place you from your servant over here." Winston gestures to James with a grin. "But it has been some time since I've been in Azarad, I came down here to see if I can charter a ship down south, maybe visit Ravenmond or somewhere in that vicinity." Winston takes a few paces back and leans an arm up against the wall as he continues addressing Benito. He makes sure to keep his face very neutral as he explains the circumstances involving the box, essentially reporting everything matter of factly. "So I was also speaking to -- oh your name is James? Sorry I never caught that before, how rude of me. Anyways, yes, I was speaking to James here about the incident where your carriage almost ran over a pedestrian; he seemed to be slightly flustered about the scenario, and I'm sure the crowd that gathered probably didn't help. But yes, once the crowd started to disperse, I noticed this box here lying off to the side of the road, it must have fallen off when the cart stopped short. I picked it up and set off in pursuit to return it, but I had lost you very quickly, I'm not very used to this town. Well eventually I got directions to this here manor, and here I am returning it." Winston holds his arms wide as if looking for some sort of applause after that long winded speech, but seeing Benito's demeanor he instead turns the movement into a head scratch. "So this box is a gift for your father eh? What's the occasion, it his birthday?"

Ben released his grip on the bow and shook his head, his demeanor noticeably more dour. "No, my brother's funeral. I haven't been home in a long time and I thought it right to bring something we could bond over." He fished through his pocket producing a small key, Only one way to know if he's tampered with it, lets see his reaction when I open it. He grabs the box, as he was fitting the key in the lock, Benito noticed some faint scratches that weren't present before. This doesn't bode well for the contents. Can't something just go right for once? Prove I'm not a total fuck up? His gaze fell on Winston for a moment, but he popped the lock to reveal a fine glass bottle with a simple label that reads Stormhart's Thunder Special Reserve cradled in straw. The bottle is filled with a beautiful white wine and cork sealed in a mahogany red wax. Benito lifts the bottle carefully out of the crate, setting the crate aside. He turns the bottle over, inspecting the bottom for the maker's mark and vintage year which were carefully molded into the glass, while this verified the bottle it also insured there were no holes in the top. Then he inverts the bottle so it was properly upright, and inspected the beautiful crest pressed firmly into the sealing wax, a stag's head wreathed in lightning. No obvious signs of tampering were present, and Benito grinned. "Beautiful, isn't it? My father doesn't even know I have it. I spent months gambling in bars outside Azarad to scrape together enough for a secret gift that didn't end up in the family ledger when the taverns called to collect my debts. Do you like to play cards, ..." Benito trailed off trying to recall the man's name but coming up empty, "Sorry, sir, you seem to have me at a disadvantage, I don't even know your name. Please, call me Ben."

He quickly directed his focus to James, "Thank you for bringing this package, and this man, to me. Please fetch one of the servants and inform the kitchen to set another place for dinner." Though it wasn't stated, James was clearly dismissed, not in trouble, but no better off in Ben's opinion of him.

Winston nods somberly in recognition of Ben's loss, but he can't help but take a step forward as Benito opens the box, noticing the clearly expensive bottle of wine as well as the scrutiny that Ben was putting it under. Guess I wasn't as subtle as I thought with that lock. Gonna have to remember to check for scratches next time. As Ben grins and addresses Winston, he relaxes internally and returns the grin while holding out a hand. "It's Winston sir, and it is a pleasure to meet you. That bottle is indeed a fine gift; I'm glad it found its home once more. As for my game preferences, I'd say that I'm more of a dice roller myself, but I've played a fair share of cards in my time."

When Ben invites Winston to stay for dinner, he beams at the noble and claps his hands together once happily. "Oh I would love to stay for dinner, I am absolutely famished. Thank you for your kind hospitality my good man, it is much appreciated." Winston looks down at his travel worn clothes and dirty hands and gasps, "Oh look at me, I am a total mess, might I find another washroom so that I can clean up for dinner? I would hate to bring this filth around your fine establishment."

De'Porthca Manor | First Floor: Dining Room

Eventually a small bell is rung signaling dinner is prepared and servants guide each guest to the dining table, a seat made and set for each person. For the smaller races slightly modified chairs are on offer so they can sit at a similar height to the rest of the guests.

At the head of the table sits Anthol himself, hands resting on the table as he watches everyone else approach and be seated, Sidwae to his right, with Benito to his left. Next to Sidewae sits the smaller boy who still keeps his gaze downward, across from him sits his sister Joane to Benito's left.

Moving down the line, Tyrius is seated to Joane's left followed by Virra. On the right, next to the small boy is placed Ander, followed by Eliza, finally Wintson finds himself towards the end of the table.

Across the table candles are set and burning, the fine silver of their stands reflecting the varied group placed around the room as food is set before them: a large roast, steaming in the air, its scent filling the room, seasoned and nearly falling apart as it's placed down by two servants from the weight. Various vegetables are placed around the table, roasted carrots, mashed potatos, green beans, soon joined by baskets of fresh baked bread and butter offered on the side.

As servants begin distributing food to the plates set before you all, filling two glasses -- one with wine and the other with water -- Anthol stands at the head of the table, gently clinking one of the glasses for attention. Allowing the chatter to fall he smiles looking down the table at those before him, Sidwae ocassionally looking towards him with a smile before turning back to keep an eye on the servants. "Many interesting people have come into my home today, people I hope to learn more of. I only wish we all met under better circumstances ..." Anthol's gaze drifted downward for a moment before he continued, "However, for now it's best we enjoy this wonderful dinner -- filling our bellies with food and the air with conversation." Seating himself once more, Anthol spread his arms wide with a smile, "Please -- enjoy."

Beginning to work through his plate he turned slightly to Benito, "Joa told me about your demonstration in the range earlier. Seems you did manage to learn a few things, hm?"

Benito approached the table, crate in hand, with his tunic tucked neatly into his pants and his vest properly pressed. Attached to his tunic collar rather than hidden underneath as he'd kept them before, the graduation pin from Azarad with the gently glowing seal of imbuement and family brooch. Taking his seat next to his father and across from Sidwae, he smiled and bowed politely, then he turned to Joane and gave her a playful wink and a smile, careful to resist the urge to muss her hair on this far too formal occasion. You've come back to find a killer, avenge your brother, and help the family. Don't get dragged down into an endless feud that doesn't help anyone. He set the crate down between himself and his father on the corner of the table. "Thank you, for hosting dinner for all of us and offering everyone a place to stay, it is very kind of you." He spoke to Sidwae as Anthol stood, trying to catch her with a compliment before she could rebut about the quality or stature of his company.

When Anthol spoke to Ben, he turned from his plate and nodded, "They seemed pretty upset when I was nailing their targets from five hundred feet without any magic, so I figured I owed it to them to learn something." He grinned, and took a bite. "I actually learned a few things, and ultimately I ended up finding the obscure side of the rare art of imbuement. It's specifically an ancient Elven tradition of natural archery, but it's evolved since they withdrew back to their forest, and the stuff I practiced was far more arcane than natural." He set down his fork and knife, holding out his hand, palm up. "Marble Bust, Mother." His words came out and with a wiggle of his fingers, a palm sized marble bust of Elean appeared in his hand, he spoke quickly before it faded, with a smile. "Anyway, I learned Draconic thanks to your forcing me to learn Dwarvish as a child. Then I learned to channel that into this simple spell, last year." The bust faded from existence in his hand and he sighed. "From there, the archery came very naturally and I just had to practice weaving the magic into my shots. Ultimately I mastered two, the one I showed off to Jo, a seeking shot; always finds its mark. And a second, more volatile shot that impacts with an explosive force. They say, with practice, I'll be able to do much more. As you know, I also stuck around to continue studying more traditional magic. I hope to one day empower each shot." He picked up his flatware and continued to eat his roast careful to observe proper etiquette before he recalled the crate to his right, "Oh, father, I brought a gift. I had hoped we might share it in your study later."

Eliza followed one of the servants to the dining hall and to her assigned seat. She didn’t find the seating arrangement any surprise and actually found comfort in seating away from the feuding son and step-mom.

She found it almost second nature following the dining etiquette taught to her back home. Waiting to be seated by the servant first, she lay the napkin on her lap and waited for Master Anthol to start the meal before following suite.

Although she felt like she was starving, she made sure to pace herself through the meal following the cues from her hosts. Having tusks and being green were reasons to be disliked by Mistress Sidwae without adding rude dinner guest on the list.

It was difficult for Virra to balance her attention between Anthol's pre-meal speech and the heaped-up plates of food being brought through by the servants, but she made the effort. Really, it was all she could do to maybe balance out the total etiquette breach that was her cross-legged posture. She felt... well, embarrassed wasn't the right word. It was more like a slight reluctance to create a bad impression, which was as close to embarrassment as she ever came. Hopefully the tablecloth would hide it well enough, even in the modified chair.

It was quite the shrewd seating plan they were in, too. Family to one side, "friends" to the other - and how interesting that both Benito and Joane were in plain sight of their stepmother. Of course she couldn't fail to notice the concentration of the non-humans at the far end of the table either. But Eliza really got the worst of it, being hidden from the Madame's view by a man who dwarfed her. Probably the best she could have expected for being a half-orc... and, Virra remembered suddenly, the only one Benito singled out as special to him by announcing that she would be staying until the funeral.

That just left the sore thumb. As Anthol's address came to an end, Virra began to multi-task, stealing glances at the halfling while she built up her first course and listened in on Benito's school talk. In just under a minute she'd amassed a generous helping of meat, portions of every vegetable on offer and what had to be a full loaf of bread all tactically arranged to fit on her plate without spilling. While she reached for a dish of butter, she went out of her way to catch the halfling's eye. "Hey. I don't know if I've seen you before, but that might just be because I've missed a lot of introductions lately. Are you another friend of these guys, or did you just meet them a minute ago?" She shot a grin towards Eliza directly opposite. "What, do you go around grabbing replacements the second you lose sight of me?" she teased, gesturing to Anders and the halfling with her butter knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back