Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benito shook the old dwarf's hand "Always a pleasure to see you, Isotharic." He waves off the comments about his situation, "Not really here to talk about it. It's all I'll be hearing about for the next two or three days." Ben sighs and begins to unbuckle his boots. "I'd love for you to take a look, but I'm actually here for my friend, Eliza. She's wore her shoes through so bad I'm worried she'll track blood all over the estate." He was only half kidding as he indicated the worn, tattered, and frayed shoes belonging to Eliza as he introduced her, rather than her face. "If you could get her into something more comfortable, she's a walker. Everywhere, all the time, they'll need to last and I'll be paying the bill." He smiled, "I'm not sure her style or preference, but I'm sure she has thoughts." He turned to Eliza, expecting her to interject with preferences though saying nothing about it.

Sitting on a nearby stool, Eliza took off her old pair of boots and set them neatly aside. "I was wondering if you could just fix up these shoes. I had them made special for my unusual feet and they are the only pair I could ever walk long distances with."

Eliza held up her old pair made from plain but supple brown leather eyeing them to make sure they were still clean from the spell she cast earlier before handing them off to the dwarf.

Finding herself in unusually sophisticated company, the gnome can't help but laugh a little at Tyrius's formal tone. "You can just call me Virra, Mr Tyrius," she says. "And I'm here for work just like our half-orc friend. Well, I guess it's closer to pleasure, unless I can figure out some way to get paid once I'm done." Actually, that's not a bad idea, she muses. What would the point be in succeeding if she has no money to celebrate with? Yet another conundrum to consider.

Shaken out of her daydreaming by the arrival of Isotharic, she quietly listens in until it becomes clear that Eliza is about ot be subjected to a full shoe-fitting session. Perfect. Virra takes a step away from the wider group, then tugs on Tyrius's wrist to get his attention.

"So tell me," she says, keeping her voice low so that Benito and Eliza can keep talking with the cobbler. And, hopefully, not pick up on everything she's saying. "Your family and the de'Porthcas. What kind of business do you do? Oh, actually, who are your family? That's probably a good place to start."

Tuckered Kraken Cabin

The dwarf nods in agreement at Ander's words, "Hm... Name's Kadaern m'self." With a finger he gestures towards the symbol around your neck, "Heard of your 'Lord' before -- some here in Porthca have brought symbols of him before, but never been much in for religion. Prefer to trust in my own actions, but I still understand what the church can do for folks. What members of the church offer folks."

Kadaern seems to study Ander for a moment, "I know where their manor is ... was planning to visit today as it is, offer the condolences of a few of the lads since I know they don't really want us at the funeral in a few days." He stretches, pulling out a single gold and placing it on the table with a nod towards Braen who responds with a small wave. Getting out of his seat his height barely changes, but he gestures for Ander to follow.

Leaving the Cabin, he leads you back out onto the main streets, the crowd parting around him helps you keep track of him. Moving up a few blocks, the buildings stop being stores or warehouses and start becoming ornate manors and mansions, small clusters of people dressed as servants make their ways back and forth, messengers sprinting off or arriving in a huff.

Eventually Kadaern stops in front of a particular manor ... the crest across its gates mean little to you except that it does read "De'Porthca" and matches the small crest on Kadaern's fabric strip. Inside the yard is neatly maintained, mostly blue flowers are spread throughout and organized. The home appears to have two levels, a large front porch that has a small table and a few chairs placed next to it. Large, heavy oak double doors act as the entrance while windows offer a glimpse inside the home -- or would, were they not curtained off.

The Hooded Golem

Isotharic took the boots Benito handed him, flipping them over and observing the soles and heels he ran a hand over them, eyes almost closed. "Yep ... slightly worn a bit more to one side, you let that go on too long, find yourself sore and don't know why -- it's your feet not matching to the rest of ya." Tucking the boots under his arms he approached Eliza, not even really bothering to look up towards her, his gaze fixated on what little remained of her shoes.

"Walking type eh? Woman after me own heart -- nothin' like walking, start to learn the streets by your soles. Could be blind drunk on a foggy night, still manage to get home!" He laughed as he crouched down to get a better look, "Hm... yep. Yep, alright then." Finally he looked up towards Eliza, "I can get you sorted, Miss Eliza."

Raising to his full height once more, Isotharic followed as she found a seat and pulled the worn leather shoes off her feet. Putting them off to the side he smiled towards her, "Just need to get some measurements quick, I know some folks are a bit ticklish." With a marked thread he worked his way across each foot, marking that one was different from the other, nodding slightly, "Ah ... I see. You do need custom shoes," he smiled towards her, his beard shifting, "that's where I come in, and why Benny-boy brought ya' here."

Tracing a finger over his arm he leaves small notes -- those who can read Dwarvish recognize them as numbers -- Isotharic's eyes seem fixated on some distant point as he does so until he blinks for a long moment, standing quickly. "Alright -- think I got it." He hands back the old shoes, "Sentimental I'm sure, but when I'm finished, doubt you'll ever want to see these old ones ever again. Give me about ten minutes to whip up somethin' -- feel free to wander the shop," he rubbed the fabric of her clothes, "if Benny's buyin', maybe look at the clothes racks too, eh?" He winked towards Benito before chuckling and moving back behind his counter, the slap of leather being shuffled around could be heard through the store.

Ander stops in front of the manor. "I do not wish to impose on the greiving, I will wait out here. Please, go inside and pay your respects, I only ask that you let the master of the house know that I am here and that when they are ready to talk to me, I will do whatever they need. And thank you, Kadaern." Ander found a place to sit and pray, trusting that Kadaern would know what to say to the family.

'Lathander, hold these people in the warm embrace of the morning sun.'

Feeling the tug on his wrist, Tyrius glanced to Virra, sensing from the way she had lowered her voice that she didn’t want to disturb Benito and Eliza’s business.

“Well, my family name is Silverbane,” Tyrius started, keeping his voice low as well so as not to disturb anyone else, “I come from a town called Wyford. The De’Porthcas and the Silverbanes have been running import and export between Porthca and Wyford for a few generations now, though I met Benito when we were both in Azarad”. Upon mentioning his alma mater, Tyrius adjusted the lapel of his coat, showing the small Azarad pin he had there.

Feeling it would be rude to keep the conversation entirely on himself, Tyrius asked, “So, what sort of work were you looking for, Virra?”

Last edited:
Ben pulled the string on his coin pouch and peeked inside before shrugging, "Go crazy?" He looked around the shop, not seeing anything that particularly caught his eye on the racks of clothes, and pleased with the shoes he had.

He approached a smaller table with some leather pouches and gloves, searching through them until he found a set of dark leather archery gloves which left the thumb, index, and middle finger exposed on the wearer's shooting hand. Trying them on, a perfect fit."Thoughts?" He raised his hands to Eliza for an opinion, opening and closing his hands a few times, pleased with how comfortable they were.

Removing the gloves, he placed them on the counter and moved over to the light armours, searching through the bracers, he was pleased to find a set of archery bracers that matched his armor, polished brass studs on the outer side, and thin, smooth, padded leather on the inside to protect his forearms from the lash of the bowstring. He held it up against his pants, comparing the color before trying the fit there as well. Pleased with this he placed it on the counter with the gloves, turning back to Eliza, "Find anything, Lizy?"

Eliza was sad to have to give up her old boots but she had to admit they were a lost cause - unlike her clothes that is.

What’s wrong with my clothes? They might be a bit old but they are perfectly serviceable for the time being.

“Thanks, Ben, but I am too knackered from traveling to do anymore shopping. You go ahead though, I am fine to just sit and rest for now.”

She had to admit it was rather nice to be able to just sit still and wait after so much travel. It wasn’t so much the walking, although that was a big part, but the need to be on constant alert to any threat on the road. The fact that she could now drop her guard even for a second felt like major relief.

As the cobbler disappears behind the counter, Virra happily takes the opportunity to start exploring the room and checking out the merchandise, still chatting with Tyrius in between oohing and ahhing over the smaller articles on display. But Tyrius just isn't letting up on the point of why she's here, and she's running out of ways to quietly dodge it. For a brief moment she frowns, but her expression brightens an instant later. Screw it; she wants to say it. She was going to prod them for reactions one at a time, but why not accelerate things? It'll be fun.

"Oh, I've already found my work," she explains, picking up a pair of coarse gloves from a nearby table before putting them back down and moving further around, casually repositioning herself even as she speaks. She makes sure to get all three of the Azarad students in her line of sight: Tyrius close at hand, Eliza perched on her stool, and especially Benito by the armour stands. When she next speaks, her voice is clear enough to be heard throughout the room. "I'm gonna bring down the murderer."

Ben was busy fishing in his pouch for coin as Virra spoke, pulling out eight gold coin, he placed them on the counter sliding them over to Isotharic's side of things. He slowly and calmly turned around before sighing loudly, it seemed there was no escaping his brother's death and the mystery surrounding it. "Well, it seems our interests are aligned. While I may have ignored, or even resented my older brother in life, his death brings me no joy. Cyne didn't deserve this, but he does deserve justice. I would be glad to aid you in your task." Benito suddenly looked very worn and defeated, something about his brother weighed on him heavily. His smile slowly returned as he continued, "I could get you access to the manor, with a few conditions. If you're interested, we can discuss it in the carriage."

Tyrius was surprised a little at Virra’s statement, though he agreed with her intention. ‘If the news could travel to Wyford of the murders,’ Tyrius thought to himself, ‘It stands to reason that it would catch people’s curiosity.’

“That sounds like a very noble idea, Virra,” commented Tyrius, about to continue when he heard Benito speak up. Tyrius nodded in agreement with his friend’s words. Seeing the worn down expression Benito had, Tyrius replied, “I’d like to offer my aid as well, Ben. If there’s anything I can do to help you, you only have to ask.”

Eliza was engrossed in Benito’s book when she heard Virra’s outburst. Murder! “That’s horrible-and you say they haven’t found the perpetrator yet? Ben, if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me. Do the guards have any leads?”

Benito took a seat and burried his head in his hands, "I don't know. I have no answers. I received word of Cyne's death via a letter from my step mother," Surprised she even knows my name, let alone where to reach me when I'm not on break here in the city, "who sealed it with the family seal. It was delivered by James along with the carriage a few days back and I've been traveling here since. I don't know the exact manner of his death or what the guard has done, but it must have been pretty bad. The closer I got to the city, the more whispers followed me. A waved tab at inns that typically loved to take my money, comments from people I don't know apologizing for my loss, word seems to have spread and the only thing I've learned is that even in death I can't escape the shadow of the golden boy." He shrugged, dejected.

"I've never put much faith in the local guard, and I did hear a whisper about a serial killer. Apparently, my brother isn't the only noble to have died unexpectedly, and the rumor mill is all abuzz with foul play. At least I'm free of suspicion, I can't kill anything that's more than six hundred feet away, and Azard is at least twice that." He gave a false chuckle at the morbidity of his own joke. We should have been on better terms. We were brothers. I hadn't spoken with him in years...

Ben got lost in thought as he recalled his last interaction with his brother:

Ben struggled to bring the stein to his lips without shaking. He'd probably had too much today, but it was Cyne's birthday and he had to get through it somehow. He looked around the Tuckered Kraken, spying a very fuzzy sailor. Stumbling over he was about to challenge him to a game of cards when something tugged at his collar.

Ben stumbled backwards as he was dragged out of the tavern. It took everything he had not to topple over into the mud as he was pulled through the streets. Finally, Benito struggled free and turned to see Cyne's judging eyes looking down on him. "The fuck are you doin' Cy?! I was just about to win all tha' money back! I was tryina get you a gift. But... You don't want anything do you? 'Cept poor little Ben to fuck right off back to Ass-er-aid and just leave you in peace."

Cyne frowned at his wasted brother, before replying, "Why'd you come back? Take more of the family money? All play and no work? What would mother think, gods rest her soul. Look at yourself Ben! What are you doing for the family?" Benito's blood boiled, he tried every day to make his mother proud. He swung drunkenly at his older brother, unsure if he made contact as he blacked out and fell to the cobblestone ...

Ben shook his head and quietly muttered to himself, "I should have stayed in Azarad."

De'Porthca Manor

Kadaern nodded before approaching the manor solemly, his knocking on the doors loud across the quiet yard. Somehow there was a hush in this area ... travel hadn't taken the pair too far beyond the docks, but the constant din seemed lower around here.

The door opened at the manor to a woman who appeared dressed similar to the servants that passed back and forth, after a brief discussion the dwarf was allowed inside, the heavy doors closing behind him.

As Ander is praying by himself, he feels something poke him in the shoulder -- opening his eyes he'd find a small girl dressed in very fine clothes, however the shades are all dark: mourning clothes. Her tiny face looks tired and worn, black hair tied in an intricate braid that extends to her waist. Deep hazel eyes look him over before her gaze turns downward, "Sorry sir ... I saw someone sitting out here and thought ... I hoped you were someone else."

Thudding of footsteps can be heard as a servant runs up from behind to girl, "Lady Joane! Please, I know these are trying times, but please don't wander off. I'm sure Lord Benito will return soon enough, just give him some time." A female gnome comes into view, short hair and bright green eyes, her outfit has small pieces of blue mixed in, the same color as the crest of the De'Porthca. She bows towards Ander, "Apologies sir, she's a little restless and managed to get away from me. We'll leave you to your business soon enough."

Ander stares for a moment. He was the only child who had ever grown up in the temple, most people joined as adults. Because of that, he had very little experience with kids. "Hello, young friend, I'm sorry I ain't who you were looking for." He looks into her eyes and in a hushed tone says, "I'm so sorry for your loss."

The gnome who was following the young girl seemed a bit flustered, and Ander had no intention of making her day any harder than it already was. 'I knew I should have kept up on my gnomish studies,' he thought to himself. "It's no trouble at all, ma'am. It seems this has been a trying time for everyone, I am simply here to offer my help." He sets his book back into his pack and stands to his full height. "Is there anything I could help you with, at least until master Benito returns?" he looks back and forth between the young girl and the nanny, not entirely sure who he was intending the question for.

Virra waits attentively as Benito says his piece, hardly even blinking until the last word is out. Then she shakes her head lightly. "No, I think you're right where you need to be."

Then as if that interaction never happened, she grabs a pair of fingerless gloves that might have been made for a human child and takes them up to the counter. "No rush, Isotharic, but I think I'll take these once you're done. Oh, and I'm actually looking to learn how to fix my own shoes. Do you sell any tools for people looking to try out the craft? Not a whole workshop obviously, just, I don't know, entry-level gear? That'd be really helpful." Apparently she never learned not to bother a dwarf at work.

De'Porthca Manor

The young girl kept her eyes downcast but nodded softly at Ander's words. Stepping closer to the girl, the gnome woman placed a hand on her shoulders, attempting to be reassuring. "Offer your ... help? Ah, at the very least, I should introduce myself," she curtseyed quickly, "I'm Tanelye, servant to the De'Porthca house, and maidservant for Lady Joane De'Porthca."

Both of them craned their necks to look up towards Ander as he stood, Joane having a small smile, "You remind me of Ben ... he towers over me too, and ... Cyne used to..." her gaze lowered as her lip quivered. Tanelye gave the girl a small squeeze, "Hey ... things will get better. Remember your family motto? 'Swift and Dependable' -- I'm sure Lord Benito wouldn't make his family wait."

Reaching into a small pocket, almost up to her elbow interestingly enough, she pulled out a very small bow and a few arrows, holding them out to the girl, "Maybe some target practice to get your mind off things? I know you've got a few trick shots you were hoping to show Lord Benito when he returned next...?" The gnome glanced upwards toward Ander, with a hesitant smile, "Perhaps you could be her practice audience?"

"I'd be happy to, and ma' name is Ander. Miss Tanelye, Lady Joane." He nodded, nearly bowing as he said each name and he gestured for them to lead the way. He followed them to the targets and took a seat to the side of where she planed to shoot from. "I tried to learn how ta shoot a bow, I was never very good," he said as he took Dawnbreaker off of his back and sat on the ground, setting the large sword beside himself. He also unhooked the handaxe from his belt and set it down with the other weapon. He sat and intently watched they young girl practice her archery.

As Virra laid down her small, child sized gloves, and with Benito's mind focused on his family, he stood passing over to the table of gloves once more. Sifting through them, he found some gloves much like the ones he'd already left on the counter, but much smaller. He then collected the bracer he'd found and spent the better part of the remaining time searching through the assorted bracers for one that was both matching and small enough for Joane. Eventually, he found a pair just the same except the threading was a gorgeous royal blue. Perfect, she loves blue. Just like the ribbons she used to wear in her hair. I'm sure she'll love it. Seems a bit large, but that just means she'll have some room to grow into them. He nodded to himself reassuringly before he returned to the counter, replacing his own bracers and adding the smaller ones. Looking around to the others, he asked, "Anything else? If not we best get going soon." He turned back to the counter to see Isotharic finishing up, "How much for all this?" Benito began pulling more coin out to cover the other items, and waiting for the total of the custom pieces.

Tyrius glanced around the shop, looking over the items. He'd love to buy something at some point, but for the moment he was carrying a lot in his backpack. 'Should've packed a little less,' Tyrius thought to himself, 'Ah well, I live and learn.'
Tyrius had gone a little overboard with his packing. Two daggers along with his quarterstaff, both of which were in his travelling bag along with what his father Baldrus had called basic travelling supplies.
"I'm alright for the moment, thank you Ben," replied Tyrius to Benito, 'Though I will keep this establishment in mind.' Tyrius added in his mind, 'Might be a useful place to resupply if anything happens to my clothes or shoes.'

De'Porthca Manor

Following the tiny pair around to the side of the manor, Ander is led to a private archery range with targets set up on the opposing side. After handing the bow to Joane Tanelye stood off to the side holding a quiver. The girl glanced over towards Ander before raising the bow and tried to line up a shot. Her small sleeves were rolled up delicately as she had put on her archery gloves and bracer, with a deep breath she held for a moment before releasing the arrow, making a solid THUD into the wooden target across the yard, landing inside the inner ring. Tanelye gave her a wide smile and clapped before handing her another arrow.

Trying to situate herself again, Joane took a deep breath, only for someone on the street to shout suddenly and her shot went wide, thudding into the target, but not any of the rings. The small girl sighed before taking the next arrow given to her. Attemping the next shot it again went wide, hitting the target but not a ring.

Growing slightly frustrated she took the next arrow, her eyes damp, she took a long breath before releasing it, then held it again, taking time to aim properly, this time hitting the outer ring of the target.

Taking the last arrow from the quiver, Joane looked to Tanelye for a moment who gave a small nod. Lining up the shot this time, Joane seemed to do more than just focus her aiming ... the arrow appeared to flicker, a faint glow around it before she let loose -- did the arrow turn invisible? The pair of them looked around, trying to figure out where it went until Joane gasped in a small voice, "Oh no..."

Tanelye followed her gaze, realizing where the arrow had gone: somehow it had looped behind the pair and the arrow was sticking proudly out of the roof.

The Hooded Golem

Finally Isotharic came out from behind his counter, a pair of dark brown boots in his hands, Benito's tucked under his arms. Handing off the boots he went over towards Eliza, offering her the new shoes. "Here -- I used some of the softest leather I got, but reinforced it as well with some personal techniques. Guaranteed not to wear down for a year, even if ya put them to a grindstone. I made the soles match what you had before, lookin' at where it was worn down, so I knew where you dragged the most and what needed support." He rapped his knuckles on her staff, "Can't fully fix everything with a good pair'ah shoes, but should help with any pain you might'a had in your hips and legs."

He turned to look at the mound of things on the counter, "Ah -- see, this is why I try to keep customers in the store while I work, get restless and start shoppin'. One of ya was asking about tools yeah? I think I got a few old sets sitting around somewhere ... best not be puttin' me out of business though." Isotharic chuckled, "Though I doubt that'll happen anytime soon, even if my only customer is Benny-boy here."

Digging around behind the counter for a moment he dragged out a dirty old case of tools, a few scraps of dried leather bundled with it and a small spool of dark thread. He placed a hand on all the various objects on the counter, using a step stool to see above it before he finished his tally: "I'd say all this comes out to about thirty-seven gold and five silver for the lot." Leaning on the counter he smiled towards Eliza, "Good thing you came with Benito here -- got you a bit of a discount on those custom boots. Part of my techniques makes them resistant to getting dirty, and they tend to stay together. Not while you're wearing them o'course, make walking awful difficult, but if you take them off, it's difficult to split them up. Helps prevent 'em from getting lost. Plus, as I said, more resilient to getting worn down -- even for a fellow walker, should have about a year before ya need some maintenance done."

Smiling towards the mixed group, "Glad to see you do got some friends though Benito. Important to have, in times like these."

Benito finishes counting out thirty eight gold, placing it on the counter. "That should cover it, Isotharic. I'll see you in a year or three." Ben grinned, he knew he didn't walk enough to ware down shoes from the Hooded Golem himself. Truth be told, he only own multiple pairs because he liked to wear matching outfits, but it had drawn a lot of unwanted attention at Azarad, so he'd settled for just the one outfit he was wearing over the past few years which was the reason he'd even worn the soles in at all. He chuckled at the comment about friends, "Yeah, I'm glad I have to. I think Sidwae might have been a chore to handle on my own, but if she's rushing around playing the hostess, perhaps I can get a moment with my father." He collected up his boots slipping them on before collecting the other items he'd purchased and offering Eliza her new shoes.

With this chore taken care of, and a gift for Joane, he headed toward the carriage, "Stay well, old friend." He laughed once again opening the door as he addressed James. "I need an apple James, one of the ones you keep for the horses, even if it's carved and we're headed to the estate. When we arrive make sure Sidwae is informed that I've arrived and that we're hosting three guests. I'm sure she'll be thrilled." He ended somewhat dryly. "Oh, and make sure to leave the gift in my room so I can collect it for my father once I'm done greeting Joane." He nodded to indicate that was the entirety of his instructions, and waited a moment for the apple before boarding the carriage and carefully beginning the delicate process of restringing his bow, setting the apple and his new apparel on the seat next to him as he waited for the others to congregate so they could leave.

de'Pothca Manor

Ander stands up, applauding the spectical of an arrow seemingly turning 180 degrees in mid air. "Wow, increadable, Lady Joane, I've never seen such a skilled archer. I wouldn't've been able to hit the target once, I'm more of an ax thrower. But whatever amazing trick you did with that final shot, just unbelievable." He finishes clapping and looks at the two, "How do you get it down?"

Virra quickly pulls on her new gloves and scoops all of the tools into her already bulging rucksack. Slinging it over her shoulder opposite her shortbow, she turns and beams at Benito. "Oh come on Ben, I'll feel bad if you pay for all of this..." she says, long after he has already paid. She practically skips out of the shop after the others, suddenly overcome with sympathetic generosity that she decides to unload on the coachman.

"Hey, James, think fast!" she calls, then tosses him a gold piece. "This is for almost murdering me earlier. Felt like I owed you." With that done, she climbs back inside the carriage and gets herself seated once again. Legs crossed beneath her, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back