Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You are selling yourself short, Ben. You did manage to graduate and that is no easy feat for anyone." Eliza leaned back in the carriage, "you asked me about the spell earlier". She checked her pocket for something before gently taking out a snoring brown mouse, "Ben, this Faust, my familiar and trusty companion this past month on the road."

Tuckered Kraken Cabin

The bartender nods before turning and yelling behind him, "Need'a plate of daily catch!" There's a short yell response as he moves to grab a mug, moving towards an ale cask set up behind him. "Fish's three silver, drink a silver itself. Shouldn't be long till the plate's afore ya." He looks you over -- noting that even sitting your height hasn't changed very much.

"Must be a newcomer, aye? Someone your height, an that accent, hard to ignore. Off the isle are ya?" He returned to cleaning the bartop for a moment, "Name's Braen, an' you? Would think people be keepin' away from Porthca, with the murders an' what-not." Braen shrugs, "Though, I 'spose us lower folks don't need to fear nuthin', eh? It's them nobles who're quakin' in their fancy boots." A moment later one of the servers comes out, bringing a fishplatter among other orders, placing it in front of Ander while Braen hovers expectantly for payment. The meal looks rough, but the portion is fairly decent, especially considering on the boat over it was mostly small rations.

The small unassuming halfling dodges between peoples legs deftly as he tails the carriage. His light brown hair and eyes are hooded from view, but his eyes are pretty well trained on this cart. As the cart shudders to a halt and this scene of a gnome playing victim unfoldes, Winston chuckles to himself, earning a few looks from passerbies.

He was ‘luckily’ glancing in the direction of the whole incident, and he noticed a smallish box fall off the back of the wagon. Assuming this belonged to the mysterious noble he had met briefly back in Azaran, he wove his way through the crowd and without so much a hesitation in his walk, he bent down and scooped the box up in his hands. He walked a few paces back into the crowd as he stuffed the box in his bag, intending on checking it later as he saw the lock. Once he buried it in his pack, he turned back to the cart and approached the coach driver that was checking the luggage. “Oh hello good sir! I couldn’t help but see what had happened, is everyone alright? It looked like the poor gnome was injured judging by the limp he had, I do hope he was okay.”

Ben smiled, "Impressive. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Must be nice to have a buddy. I look forward to getting to meet him." He stretched out his arm and pulled up the sleeve of his tunic to his elbow. "Coin." His draconic is harsh and weighty, heavily influenced by his dwarven lessons from childhood. As he speaks his green eyes flash purple and his fingers rub together, spontaneously revealing a coin. He flips it into the air, and it fades out of existence after about six seconds before making it back to his hand. "So, what brings you both to Porthca?"

Porthca Main Street

At first the coach driver looks around while he's busy checking nothing is missing, before his head eventually looks downwards and he bows his head, "Apologies! I sometimes get too used to being around humans."

Patting one of the horses he sighs, "I think everyone's alright ... I hope they are at least. I know I should be more careful, especially being back in Porthca there's a lot of ... er ... smaller races." He glances away for a moment, as if unsure that was okay to say, "I forgot to keep better track of who might be in the path of the carriage. Either way, Master De'Porthca will likely take care of her injuries."

Eliza looked uncomfortable at the question and busied herself by moving Faust back into his pocket. "Well, I need help finding a temporary job and a place to stay for the time being." Staring intently at her now folded hands on her lap she continued, "You have already done so much for me and I hate to ask especially at such a time but you are the only one I know here."

T.K.C.

"Aye, you guessed right, came over from the isle." He starts to eat, not really savoring the fish, just trying to fill himself up. "The name's Ander, and it's funny, well not funny, but coincidental I s'pose, that you'd mention those muders. I didn't hear a lot about 'em before I came over, but you're tellin' me they were mostly the nobles who got hit? Do you know of any families that lost someone who's pockets are deep enough that they will likely put real effort into finding out what happened?" He leans toward Braen and swigs the ale. He lowers his voice, but intensly says, "I think these killin's might have somethin' ta do with a group that I followed out of Lokil, and I'd like to help out to put an end to 'em." The determination and genuineness of his words ring through like a bell.

Seeing the carriage stop and a few people gathering around it, Tyrius continued walking towards it, but at a slower pace than before. He saw a few people, including a tall half-orc with red hair and Benito get back into the carriage. Tyrius jogged toward the carriage, the lower part of his quarterstaff bouncing against his right thigh. Exercise had never been Tyrius’ strong suit but he just about made it.

Knocking on the carriage door with his left hand, Tyrius called out in a strong voice, “Hail Benito, fancy running into you here. Would you be so kind as to give a fellow a ride?” Tyrius had a slight smile on his face as he leaned on his quarterstaff. ‘Quite fortuitous,’ Tyrius thought to himself, ‘I wonder how Benito has been doing since graduating from Azarad?’

Benito smiled "There's always plenty of work in P-" He was cut off by a familiar voice and a knock at the carriage door. "Sorry, one moment." He remarked to his guests, moving to open the carriage door.

"Ty! Well met, friend. Please join us for a ride. We were just discussing what brings us to Porthca." Ben returned to his seat next to Virra, leaving an empty seat next to Eliza, for Tyrius.

"Tyrius, this is Eliza, you may have met her from her time at Azarad." He gestured to the half-orc who seemed quite withdrawn. "And this is Virra, she's from Chilldrift, and cons nobles - watch out." He gestured to the gnome next to him, then addressed both women, "Ladies, this is Tyrius, his family does business with my own, but we actually met at Azarad. I guess it was fate."

"Ty , please take a seat. There'll be plenty of time to catch up, but let's see if we can't get James to get us on our way." Benito seemed very open among friends and new acquaintances alike, comfortable and warm. Was he always this friendly, or was he just compensating for something?

He drew the curtain and unlatched the window to see James speaking with a halfling, "James, if it's not too much of a bother, we need to make a stop by the cobbler. You know the place, old hole in the wall run by the old dwarf who seems to be the only cobbler alive still making shoes 'like they used to'. We'd also like to be on our way if everything is in place." He began to lean back into the carriage before poking his head out once more, "I hope my gift for father is intact, else I might be riding with my new coachwoman." His expression was somewhat sour as he recalled the rare gift he'd procured as a peace offering in the wake of his brother's death. It was furthered by the thought of the contents of the gift all over his things.Then, he smiled and withdrew into the carriage, latching the window and drawing the curtain.

"Sorry about that. Please, continue..." He looked around at the others with a friendly but expectant smile.

Tuckered Kraken Cabin

Braen leaned down closer on the counter as Ander continued speaking, recognising when some gossip was about to be shared. He idly wiped the bartop before responding, "Aye ... at least so far it's only been nobles, who knows with crazies that go about killin' folk. There's been I think ... four deaths so far -- each from one of the oldest families still in the Port that ain't been bred out or died off. Latest was from the De'Porthca family, think the boy's name was Cyne? Saw him at the docks sometimes, usually had a smaller lad followin' 'im, like a living shadow almost."

Braen shook his head, "Been a few years since that family had such misfortune ... but you think you know who's doin' it? Be more than the guards, 's for sure."

Straightening up he stretched, "De'Porthca own most of the dock area 'round here, if wanted to speak to one, probably won't be too hard t'find someone who works for 'em at the very least." He held a hand out still waiting for coin, "Not fond of the Nobles, but also not keen on a murderer, so still hopin' the guards maybe get off their asses an do sometin'. No one deserves to die like that on dry land ... lungs full of seawater? Horrid way to go."

Ander finishes off his ale and flips a gold peice into the barkeep's hand. "I appreciate the food, and the info. May the morning sun shine bright on you, Braen." He stands, slinging his heavy bag over his shoulder and smiles at the man. "'Til we meet again my friend."

He turns from the bar and thinks for a moment. 'These don't seem like the most decent people, and if the boss just had a tragedy, there might be a delay in business. I should look for folks who seem happier, and maybe more well rested, 'cuz they might be employees of the de'Porthcas.

“I’m glad that the poor lass will be taken care of — Oh, the master of this town is in this carriage? Or is Porthca just a common name around these parts?” Winston feigned curiosity as James mentioned this Master De’Porthca, whom he could only assume was the noble he had been following for some time. But as he was waiting for an answer, a man stuck his head out of the carriage to call out to James, and Winston eyed him briefly. Once he had instructed the driver to get moving, Winston reached up and clapped him on the shoulder. “I’m glad everyone is alright. I won’t keep ya any longer, sounds like you’ve gotta get moving, but hey — keep an eye out for us little ones alright?” And with a quick laugh Winston scuttled away back into the crowd.

Keeping the carriage within his sight, he moved to a small alleyway and pulled out the box that he had pick up off the ground. He put the box on the ground and sat next to it, then pulled out his tools and tried to pick the lock. He applied the pressure with one pick, and attempted to lift the pins with another to unlock it, but this was a much finer crafted lock then he was used to, and the pins kept resetting if he varied even the slightest pressure. With a disappointed grunt, he stowed his tools and the the box back in his pack and came back out of the alley. He might not have been able to pick the lock, but the least he could do is return the box...for a modest reward of course. Winston smiled to himself as he walked through the crowd, trailing the carriage.

Porthca Main Street:

As Benito poked his head out of the carraige, James' demeanor changes -- he tries to stand straighter, his hands behind his back with his head bowed slightly after Benito finishes speaking. He was about to reply to the halfling before Benito made his final comment and bowed again, "Of course, Sir."

After a moment he sighed before turning again to Winston, "No, not the master of the town, but the De'Porthca, for reasons you might guess, do have very strong ties to this city." James waved as Winston left, doing one more circle around the carriage, finding some ropes that seemed to have loosened by the sudden stop. Was the crate with the wine outside, or stored with something else ...? Oh no ... hopefully it was stored inside one of the other luggage crates. James groaned for a moment as he looked around the carriage -- there weren't any boxes underneath or around, and the crowd still looked as unhelpful as ever. He sighed, tightening the ropes, he was just going to have to hope it had been inside one of the other crates. As important as it was, it probably was there, right?

Climbing back up onto the driver seat he snapped the reins, getting the pair of horses moving again, this time a little slower than before.

Winston, attempting to follow the carriage looses it here and there -- at some points entirely, only to catch glimpses of it thanks to the slope of Porthca, much further down the street.

The carriage appears to have pulled up in front of a rundown looking store ... strange given the impressiveness of the carriage. The weatherworn sign outside reads THE HOODED GOLEM.

Tuckered Kraken Cabin:

Turning in his seat to survey the room, Ander spots a quiet table in the corner -- still populated, but the men seem more reserved than other boisterous folks in the Cabin. Plates rest before them as they each nurse their respective mugs, the fabrics tied around their arms are layered -- one displays a crest, the top one a single black strip of cloth.

Virra spends a minute just listening to the two friends as they talk, willing to make herself scarce and nod along with the conversation while she waits for a convenient moment to re-enter. Then just as she leans toward Eliza and begins to speak, a shout from outside drowns out her words. She sighs aloud at the interruption, but quickly brightens up as Benito introduces the newcomer. It's another schoolmate. A noble schoolmate.

She kneels up on the seat and leans right across Benito to shake Tyrius's hand as he enters. "Hey Tyrius, good to know you! Yes, it's true, I do con nobles, so be careful I don't get you," she warns in a menacing tone, before rocking back with a laugh that shakes her small body.

Upon finding a table of workers who where clearly acting differently from the others, a smile flashed across Anders face, before he quickly brought himself back to a sombre place. He stepped over to the table and gently talked to the reserved men. "Hello, my friends. Would ya'll happen to be the crew of the de'Porthcas? I was hopin' ta find the family and help them in any way I could through these tryin' times." He bowed respectfully and folded his hands in front of himself.

Climbing into the carriage, Tyrius nodded to the other passengers as he sat down next to Eliza, closing the door behind him. Turning to Eliza, Tyrius beamed, “Fancy meeting another graduate here. It’s almost like an impromptu Azarad reunion.”
Raising an eyebrow at Benito’s introduction of Virra, Tyrius still found himself smiling as Virra followed it up in her own way.

“Pleasure to meet you,” Tyrius said to Virra, propping his quarterstaff against the side of the carriage and his right leg. The quarterstaff was nothing special in and of itself, it wasn’t ornately crafted. It just had sentimental value, it had been made from a branch of a tree on his family’s land.

Feeling the carriage stop suddenly, Tyrius gripped his staff to prevent it falling and injuring anyone. Glancing through the window of the carriage, Tyrius read the sign.

‘The Hooded Golem,’ Tyrius thought, ‘Looks very shabby, wonder why Benito would have business in an establishment such as this?’

Making sure her staff wasn't in Tyr's way, Eliza waved a hand shyly in greeting, "still have a ways to go till graduation, I am afraid. I am just taking a much required break at the moment" then tucked her face in the book feigning great interest to stop the onslaught of personal questions she was sure was coming.

When the she felt the carriage come to a stop, she looked up to see their new destination, 'The Hooded Golem'. She felt her cheeks reddening from embarrassment and tried hard to not look at the other occupants. This doesn't look like the most welcoming of spaces. How mortifying it is to keep having to ask for help, but oh, the idea of new boots that had more soles than holes felt so good for her aching feet. Ok, don't look at it as a charity but as a loan. I will pay back every penny then extra!

Having made up her mind she lifted her head proudly and smiled at Ben. So that's how having a friend feels like. It is rather nice.

Noticing how withdrawn Eliza had become, he tried to force the subject to change, "So, Virra, we still don't know what actually brings you to the city. Have you been in town long?"

As the carriage rolled to a halt, Benito stood and opened the door. Once outside the carriage he offered a hand to each of the occupants to help them down, "It may not look like much, but Isotharic is the best cobbler in the Sinking Plains." He clicks the heels on his own boots together. "This shouldn't take long." With everyone safely out of the carriage he turned to James, "Please watch the carriage. We'll be right back, but a lot can happen in a short time here." He nodded to the coachman before moving to open the door for his friends, speaking into the shop, "Isotharic, I've returned to convert more souls to your superior footware! How are you doing you ancient devil?!"

So they're going to dive into it. It's a little sooner than Virra would have liked, but as perfectly-to-plan as her present circumstances are, she can afford a little hiccup. "I've only been in town for an hour, or something close to that," she says, then looks Benito in the face. "See, I'm kind of like Eliza here -"

And then the carriage rolls to a stop. From the window without its curtains drawn, she can make out the sign of The Hooded Golem by peering around Tyrius's head. "You know what, let's walk and talk," she says cheerfully, practically rushing to be the first out of the door after Benito. She then joins the rest of the group as they head towards the Golem, paying more attention to their faces than to the actual shop. She'll have to make time for each of them at some point, so maybe this little diversion will pay off.

Moving aside so that both Virra and Eliza could get out in front of him, Tyrius got out of the carriage last. As the group walked towards the shop, Tyrius addressed Eliza.

“I’m sorry, I assumed you’d graduated already. Are you enjoying your time at Azarad?”

At the mention of footwear, Tyrius glanced down at his black leather boots. He’d had them for years but the good thing about his family keeping him at home for months on end - his shoes saw barely any wear and tear.

“So, what brought you into town Ms Virra?” asked Tyrius, figuring that it was a good idea to follow Benito’s lead in learning more about their new acquaintance.

Tuckered Kraken Cabin

As a group the men glance towards Ander, a few craning their heads a bit more due to the height difference. Before you sits a table of four men -- three human, one a dwarf. They all look to be around thirty or so, muscled and tanned from the sun, clothes worn and ratty in a few places. Except for the cloth ribbons -- those are pristine and in good condition.

The humans share a look as the Dwarf speaks up, "Aye ... we're tied to the De'Porthcas... tryin' to have us a solemn moment outta' respect for the family." He shakes his head as he looks down, muttering into his beard, "Poor Cyne ... didn't expect him to number among the dead. His brother maybe, but not him..."

The Hooded Golem

James gave Benito a low bow from his seat before hopping down to tend to the horses and close the carriage door behind the group his master apparently had collected.

Entering the store, there's various racks of clothes on offer, however placed in pride of place are tables with shoes on display. Work boots made of supple but tough leather, slippers for the more noble folk made of fine fabrics, even simple sandals for dock workers. Looking over each item on display however, it's easy to tell care and attention goes into each object, and even being on display they seem to be maintained.

Working towards the back of the shop a head of brown hair can be seen hunched over the latest project as he turns towards the noise. The expression on the dwarf seems hardened and rough, brows scrunched together, mouth in a firm line from focus, eyes squinting as he tried to focus on something further than a few inches from his face. Under his leather apron he wears a deep red shirt, his dark leggings are tucked into boots no doubt made by himself. Brown eyes look over the incoming customers -- however his gaze starts at their shoes and works its way upwards, under his breath he mutters, "Hm... that one's worn out, more holes than shoe at this point ... eh, that one wears down the left side more ... makes their walk slanted, hm..." he continues until eventually standing and moving around the counter.

His face changes nearly immediately into an excited friendly expression as he gives a loud laugh, "Why it's Benny-boy! Worn out more boots have ya? Nah, that can't be right with all the carriage ridin' ya do." Isotharic holds out a calloused hand towards Benito as he smiles, still looking over the other potential customers. "I see that Azarad pin ya got tucked under there, they actually let you graduate eh?"

He bows lowly for a moment towards Benito, "Truly sorry Benito about what happened." He sighed, "What's this place comin' to, eh? At the least, let me see if I can ease your burdens a bit, I see your boots aren't worn evenly, makes you lean a little."

T.K.C.

"My appologies, friend, I am sorry for interrupting. I will wait for as long as you need," Ander holds out his hands, trying to show his respect for their situation. He finds a nearby unused seat and sits, putting his bag on the ground in front of him. He opens the bag and pulls out his vestments, much finer and cleaner clothing than he had on from his trip. He put's the garb on over his common clothes, pulls the holy symbol to the outside of his clothes, and pulls a prayerbook from the pack. He opens to "Prayer for the Grieving," and he silently reads the hymn to himself, focusing on the men at the table nearby. He grasps the symbol in his hand and blesses the men who have such concern for their employers.

Last edited:
“I’m sorry, I assumed you’d graduated already. Are you enjoying your time at Azarad?”

"It was great living in a place infused with so much magic, it really is a place like no other. I had been looking forward to attending my parent's alma mater ever since they first told me about it years ago."

Taking Benito's hand, Eliza stood up using her staff for much needed support and slowly stepped out of the carriage. She followed the group inside the shop and stood aside to make space for the proprietor and Benito.

Tuckered Kraken Cabin

After a few moments, the men glancing over occasionally towards Ander, eventually the all nod, order another round of drinks, and throw them back as a group, slamming the mugs down onto the table. The Dwarf raises his empty mug, "For Cyne! Was an ass at times, but always fair!" the other three give a small "yeah!" as they raise theirs before standing and heading out, leaving the dwarf alone at the table.

Pushing his mug away he watches Ander as he reads before finally addressing him, "You a priest, boy? Don't know any manage to last in Porthca too long, either they join the rest of us, or ship out for friendlier shores to their 'word', let alone offer their help apparently for free."

Ander walks over to the table and joins the dwarf. As he sits, he tells him, "My name is Ander, I come from a... temple on Lokil that, well, that is not there any longer. Those who destroyed my home and... killed my family are out there somewhere, and I would give... anything to find them." He stumbles over his words a bit, so he switches back to common. "I offer my help because murder goes against everything I hold sacred, and if I don't help put an end to it, I may as well be helping those monsters." The fire returns to his eyes.

"Will you help me find the de'Porthca family, so I can do what's right?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back