Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defallion Manor:

Nodding gratefully at Kecei as she handed him a pack that tinked softly with the sound of glassware, Rich replied to Banrigg, "How's twenty five gold sound? At least for now, can even give you your first month up front since you're willing to take this on right away."

He looked down at Banrigg, "Here in Porthca that should cover you reasonably for finding lodging, food, and even if you need to purchase anything for protection or merely fishing." Smiling tiredly, "We try to take care of those under our banner where we can." Exiting the home he motioned for Banrigg to follow him to a carriage that sat waiting outside. Waving over his shoulder to Kecei who stood by the door, she closed it as he entered along with Banrigg and the pair found themselves headed along the streets towards the De'Porthca Manor.

De'Porthca Manor:

Anthol nodded once more, "Then truly on your return we will have to discuss what we can do for each other."

Sidwae moved to Robern and Joane, leading them from the dining room, "I believe it's time these two returned to their lessons, now that we're more aware of what is going on around here." The twins grumbled for a moment but followed their mother, Ben still sitting at the table, staring at the brooch the Knight had offered. Picking it up he studied it with a frown. "Still don't understand where this came from ... we should have all of our brooches. When ... Cyne was taken, in his casket, his remained and I took it. So whose is this?" He glared at the Knight again, "I still say it's a fake."

Taking it from Ben's hand, Anthol looked it over as well, "Hm ... these could be found within our tombs, not just those currently in this house. However I doubt this is a fraud." Holding the brooch up to the light from a window, a tiny point of light came through the brooch, giving a very small image of a ship against the far wall. "Given that hardly anyone gets their hands on one of these, and very few even know this is a feature of our family brooch, I'm inclined to believe it's real." Taking it from the light he looked down at it in his palm, "Ben, are you sure the one you have is real?"

With a sigh, Benito reached into his pocket, pulling out a practically identical brooch, "As sure as I can be--" as he spoke the brooch in his hand started to whiten, losing all color and soon was merely a brooch-shaped salt chunk. Staring at his palm, Ben first paled then became quite red, "That -- that bitch!" Closing his fist the salt chunk crumpled, leaking out of his hand and onto the table. Anthol merely sighed as he placed the brooch on the table next to Ben.

A knock on the door was audible, faint words were heard before around the corner entered Richeye and a dwarf trailing behind him. Richeye looked curiously at Eliza hiding around the corner but shrugged, his focus instead caught by the sheer amount of people present, including two he didn't recognize. He paused before giving a bow, "Ah ... I don't know some of you, I am Lord Richeye Defallion. I came over here to offer aid from the Defallion family with both this dwarven fellow Banrigg, and potions that father and Lady Kecei made last night." He gestured towards Banrigg then took off the pack gently and held it out for someone to take. "I believe there's three potions of standard quality, and one of greater quality. They were quite proud of how that one came out."

Shifting his weight he looked at the group, "Seems I barely managed to catch you all before you left..." his eyes caught on Benito, "but perhaps I came at a bad time all the same...?"

Virra was distracted from exploring The Salted Knight's condition any further as Ben swore at the top of his lungs. The effect on Virra was electric; she turned almost as red as Ben himself and looked ready to strangle him. Thankfully he was saved when Richeye entered a moment later. As soon as she noticed him at the door, Virra hurried to greet him with an almost aggressive energy.

"Oh, Richie, hey!" She bounded up and took the potions off his hands without a thought. "Say thank you to Kecei and your dad for us, won't you? You're lifesavers. Or you will be, I guess." Grinning at her own joke, she peered around the lord's leg to get a look at Banrigg. "And what're you here to do?" she asked.

Tyrius watched Ben slam his fist into the table and let loose the salt that had been a copy of a broach. Looking at The Salted Knight and Tristan, Tyrius gave a weak smile, "It's been a tense few days." Tyrius said, intending to apologise properly once Ben wasn't in earshot.

At the arrival of Richeye, Tyrius smiled, half expecting to see Froot waddling in alongside him. Hearing Virra do the talking, Tyrius leaned to one side and saw another newcomer. 'Wonder where Eliza got too after doing message?' Tyrius thought, before realising he could use the same cantrip to apologise to both The Knight and Tristan without Ben hearing.

"I apologise for my friend," Tyrius said into the minds of both The Salted Knight and Tristan in turn, "He's been under a lot of stress recently."

Banrigg accepts the offer gratefully, and follows Lord Defallion to their destination. He was very excited to have found such a well paying job on his first try, and at this rate it would only cost him a few months to stay here and make enough money before he could move along in his search.

As the pair entered the manor, the rugged dwarf noticed the general air of tension and he looked at the strange assortment of faces with veiled interest. One face stood out to him in particular, and it belonged to the man he shared breakfast with. It was very curious that he would find himself at the same place...but he didn't have time to think about it. Banrigg gave the Knight a quick nod before scanning the rest of the faces. He wondered what sort of job he would have to do that would cause so much tension. His attention was then grabbed by the small gnomish girl who accepted the potions from Lord Defallion and addressed him directly. Banrigg smiled warmly at her, his gray eyes almost disappearing behind well worn smile lines as he did so. "G'day Miss, uh, I believe that I'm here fer protection." Banrigg glanced at Richeye for confirmation. "As far as what I'm protectin' people from...I'm not sure."

Tristan smiles slightly at the whisper that seems to come from nowhere. "That is quite an intricate bit of craftsmanship," he says, intending to cover for his otherwise unexplained appreciation, "is it magical or mundane?"

When Richeye enters Tristan turns his attention and introduces himself. "Greetings, my lord Defallion. I am Tristan, an emissary from the service of Waukeen. Are potions and such a family business for you then?"

The knight sighed internally at Ben’s second outburst and he had to physically force himself not to roll his eyes beneath his helmet. I’m sure he’s like this to all who offer him aid. I don’t owe him an explanation. He looked surprised by Tyrius’s message and glanced around for a moment before locking eyes with him and nodding.

The knight then watched as a new group of people entered the room, and smiled beneath his mask when he saw Banrigg and raised a hand in greeting to the dwarf. He then gave Richeye a small bow. “Mornin’, Lord Defallion, pleasure ta make yer acquaintance. Ya can call me right the Salted Knight. I’m here ta help with yer mysterious specter problem. Nice ta see that ya brought my breakfast buddy from earlier along with ya!”

De'Porthca Manor:

Richeye nodded to both Tristan and the Knight as they bowed in turn. He glanced down at Banrigg before looking back at the Knight, "Truthfully I did not expect you two to know each other, but I hope that will make the trip easier." Rich met Banrigg's gaze, "Protection from what I expect to be the most relevant: bandits. They've been a true menace in the Plains lately, as it is I only got back recently from our fields trying to figure out the damages they caused..." he rubbed his eyes again.

Peering through his fingers he looked at Tristan, "Potions are more a hobby for my father and younger sister. They tend the garden at our Manor and imagine themselves to be alchemists." Scratching his head he continued, "Often their 'potions' are mostly to aid with headaches, small ailments like for the stomach or pain, but sometimes they manage to create something that can heal." He looked across the group with a faint smirk, "I warn, the flavor isn't always the greatest. Truthfully our family focuses more on food -- catching, growing, harvesting, and transporting. I can practically guarantee the food you've eaten within Porthca somehow involved my family."

Clapping his hands together, swaying a little on his feet he continued, "Were you all intending to head out today still?"

The Salted Knight’s eyes narrowed at the mention of bandits, and he nodded, waiting until Richeye had finished speaking before chiming in. “I made my way ‘ere over the mainland, an’ lemme tell ya that you’ve got some nasty pieces to work ‘round these parts. Tried ta do my part where I could, but I reckon I barely put a dent in their numbers. Best I could tell, they ain’t too organized out there, though, so they still shouldn’t be too big a problem for a well prepared group like ours. Got some potions of my own if we need em. Can’t say much for their potency, but they’ve tasted pretty alright to me when on death’s door.” He chuckled before offering a shrug. “Anyways, not much business for me here, so I’m rarin’ ta go.”

Seeing the Knight shrug, Tyrius spoke up. "I'm ready too." Turning to Anthol and Ben, the sorcerer added, "Thank you for your hospitality, Master Anthol, Ben. Hopefully we'll be back soon." 'Preferably before any more deaths' Tyrius added in his mind as he stood up, tucked the chair under the table. Turning to Ander, The Salted Knight, Virra Tristan and Banrig, Tyrius added, "I'll just grab my things and meet you at the carriage."

Walking up to the guest room, Tyrius gathered his belongings, tucking the knives into his pockets and carrying his quarterstaff along with his bag and headed back down to the carriage. 'Heading back home,' Tyrius thought to himself, 'Hopefully we'll be able to find the Sea's stolen treasure before she kills again.'

Virra nodded a few times. "Yep, heading out any second now, actually — gonna be a cozy ride with these extra people, but that's fun." Noticing, finally, that Richeye was falling asleep where he stood, she patted him on the knee. "Thanks for coming here, anyway. Maybe it's time you got some rest?"

Ander seemed completely undisturbed by the knight's appearance, and felt better knowing that, even if they were not after the same thing, they at least seemed to be on the same path. He liked the cleric immediately, maybe just because the color of his armor reminded him of the armor his hero wore...

He was brought back to the conversation by Richeye clapping, and he walked back to finish his coffee. "I'm prepared to hit the road, too. Should be an interestin' treck."

De'Porthca Manor:

Richeye smiled down at Virra, "If only it were that easy. Coming back here my work has only increased from my absence in trying to deal with other things..." he sighed. "Regardless, I wish you all well, and, before I forget," reaching into a pouch he pulled out a bundle of coins, handing it to Banrigg, "your pay advance as promised for going on this task for my family so quickly."

Taking a few more minutes to discuss supplies and materials, the group was finally situated and given their wagon instead of a carriage due to the amount of people going along. Still comfortable on the inside, and with fabric covering the top in case of rain or weather. A small crate filled with food and water is placed inside, courtesy of the Defallion's and even the De'Porthca chefs in their kitchen.

The horses stamp their feet in impatience as the group prepares to leave, Rich, Anthol and Ben standing by the gate, with Sidwae and the twins visible from the upstairs window watching. Once the group finally gets themselves settled and start to work through the streets out of Porthca, those glancing back see Rich head off back towards his home while Anthol enters the Manor, Ben standing by the gates watching until the group is out of sight, a complicated expression on his face...

And so ends Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread