Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ander spoke up immediately, standing at attention before Anthol. "Sir, if you would, I think it'd be best for you to take the members of yer family and all spend the night in one room. We'll take shifts to keep watch over your door and make sure the rest of the night is uneventful." He gestured to the others who had just proven their ability to hold their own in a fight, before returning to attention. After a few seconds, he broke attention and leaned forward to whisper "make sure they're alright, we will keep ya safe, I promise."

Ben moved to Joane, placing a hand on her shoulder, "You did great. You called for help, you got out of the danger and you grabbed a bow. It was quick thinking. Rob'll be alright and it's because of you." He smiled at her before turning to Sid, "I'm... glad you're alright. When you and my father didn't answer, I was worried. For both of you. We'll figure this out, I promise." He awkwardly avoided eye contact, it was very late in the evening for him to be so eager to forge some kind of peace between them, but it seemed as good an opportunity as ever and he had learned that one should always negotiate from a place of power.

He looked over to Anders, "Yeah, a guard sounds smart, though I worry with that vanishing act a door may not be necessary, and what kind of range does that enchantment have? We'd be safer in a room without windows." He yawned, "In any case, I'll be needing my gear. Bows are not meant for such close quarters."

Virra had to smile at the sight of Ander standing at attention as the parents came in, though she was careful not to look too jovial given the circumstances. "All of that sounds good," she chimed in after Ander and Ben both offered advice, "and it might be an idea to start looking for more permanent bodyguards tomorrow. But yeah, a rotating guard at whatever room you want to sleep in should be good for tonight. Personally, I'd be happy to take a watch right now, if that'll help - gives me some time to get my head straight, have a think..." She looked between the others, a sincerely eager look on her face. "Oh, and if any of you would happen to have a map of the city you can lend to me, that'd be really helpful," she added without elaborating.

“If there was a silver lining in all of this, it is that we were able to get a closer look at the creature behind it all. We have a place to start looking.” Nodding at Virra, Eliza looked at the family. “I will take first watch with her, but can I first get directions to your library, please? I think I have an idea on where to begin.”

Ben sighed morosely, "I'd hardly call it a silver lining, whatever that was, it has no qualms about killing children and almost took another brother from me. The library is down on the first floor, to the right at the bottom of the stairs. You can't miss it, and if the enchantment has ended, there should be a servant or two to direct you should you get lost." He smiled at Eliza, he knew she was trying to help, but he had trouble seeing the silver lining as she put it.

Benito then realized that Virra had spoken and turned to her, "Thanks for volunteering, and thanks for... whatever you did to get Robern out of harm's way. We'll have to get a map in the morning, though I fail to see how it'll be helpful." He shook his head and turned back to his family, "Come on, we should retire for the night. I still haven't slept a wink."

Seeing Anthol come into the children’s room wielding a saber, Tyrius was relieved that the elder De’Porthca’s seemed to be physically unharmed. The sight of Joane clinging to her father made Tyrius feel a sense of shame. ‘Maybe I should have hung back, explained to the De’Porthca’s myself instead of rushing Robern back and leaving Joane to do it. I agree with Anthol, Joane was very brave under the circumstances.’

As Ander and Benito discussed keeping the family safe for the night, Tyrius was momentarily lost in his own thoughts, ‘Let’s see, I fired off three spells. I’ve got enough energy for three more if I really need them. Don’t think I’ll be getting back off to sleep soon, still a bit jumpy from that sprint through the house.’

“I’m good to take watch as well,” volunteered Tyrius, before turning to Benito, “I’m sorry I didn’t wake up soon enough.” Tyrius knew that logically it might not be his fault, chances were he’d been hit by whatever spell had hit the De’Porthca’s and their servants, though he couldn’t be absolutely certain that was the case. Still, he felt a nagging sense that he had been right next door to the twin’s bedroom and should have been more alert. ‘Which makes me wonder, why were none of us affected by the enchantment the same way as Anthol and Sidwae? Not that I wish we had been, it’s good fortune we weren’t. But it’s still something peculiar.’

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor : Late at Night

Sidwae nodded tiredly, "It concerns me that even Anthol and I were apparently spelled..." she tapped her necklace, the sapphire necklace she'd had earlier, causing it to glow once more, "Most assume this is merely another expensive bauble, but it carries many protective enchantments." She shook her head briefly, "Our own attempts at defense ... didn't seem to matter."

Anthol placed his empty hand on her shoulder, giving a small squeeze, before turning back to the group, "If you seem to think it'll be a good idea. We'll probably return to our bedroom -- it's very difficult to find a room in this house without a window, but we do have some weapons hidden in there." He raised the saber briefly, "For whatever it's worth when it comes to something like this..."

He placed Joane's hand in his, while Robern held onto his sister, Sidwae leaning into him slightly before they started moving towards the Master Bedroom. Anthol added as he moved, "If you think a map will help, we have a few spare in the study ... but I ask you don't go in there. Ask a servant or perhaps Ben can retrieve it for you." He looked down towards the twins, "It's a room best left alone for a little longer."

Benito's thanks actually made Virra beam. "No worries. And I will find something helpful to do with it, trust me." Seeing the De'Porthcas heading out of the room, she decided to start making tracks as well, but not before nudging Eliza to get her attention. "You wanna go check out the library? I'll hold the fort until you get back," she said, glancing towards the rest of the group at the door. "We can go for an hour or two, then maybe Tyrius and Ander can take up the next one? And maybe Ben and Winston could do a bit after that, or... whatever you guys want to do." Deciding she'd had enough of decision-making for the night, Virra left the conversation there and headed for the master bedroom to take up her shift.

Eliza nodded at Virra again and hurried towards the library. She tried not to be overwhelmed by the library with its stacks upon stacks of books. After searching for a bit she found something that seemed promising, Myths and Legends: A Spotter’s Guide.

Glancing through it, it didn’t seem very promising but she had to get back to Virra and this would have to do.

Reading through the book she had more questions than answers but she at least learned that such a creature wasn’t unheard of although the records were contradictory.

She looked back at Virra, “I don’t know where to begin. The more I search the wider the pool of suspects become. Maybe it is a creature, or maybe it is a wizard dressed as one!” She quickly shapeshifted to her memory of the figure and back, “How to narrow down the investigation? How to help Ben before it takes him too?”

Virra's cheeriness faded within the first minute of keeping watch. Sure, she'd scored some points with Ben by volunteering for it, but being alone with her thoughts turned out to be her most dreary experience since arriving in Porthca. No company; no intruders; no servants passing by. Even when she tried to reach out for the creature's mind, she was so out of practice she had to give up partway through before she exhausted herself -- knowing Benito and his stepmother, she'd probably be flayed in public if she fell asleep.

Even when Eliza returned from the library there wasn't much change; as much as Virra hated a silent watch, she didn't fancy dragging the half-orc away from what must have been a very interesting book. But just as she began to feel her eyelids growing heavy, Eliza managed to pleasantly surprise her by initiating a conversation, even if it was all about her doubts. For better or worse, her sudden transformation into the monster from before helped Virra wake right up.

"You're thinking too much," she decided after hearing her out. "If you look at it another way, this isn't even day one of our investigation, but we've already managed to catch the killer in the act! Don't you think that's a good sign?" Though her smile didn't falter, her tone became a little more firm as she went on. "You, Eliza, are in exactly the place you need to be right now. Trust me. You'll find the best way to help Ben in good time, so... maybe let it sit until tomorrow?"

Ander stepped up to releive the two from their guard duties. He approached in his full slpint armor and his greatsword on his back. He was going to take no chances for the rest of the night. He smiled shyly at Virra and Eliza, nodding and saying, "I'll take over, thanks for letting me get some sleep. Rest up, and you two can continue to impress me in the morning." He was still impressed with how all of the new people he had met had handled themselves in the face of an undead monster. He stood before the door at attention, prepared to finish any fight that might come his way.

Benito shook his head, "I've been up all night. I'm tapped. If you want me out of bed at a reasonable hour I'll need to actually sleep, and I doubt that will come easily in light of recent events." He frowned looking at the rest of his family. "I'll join you in the master bedroom once I've collected my things."

Ben made his way back to his room where he took several minutes to don his studded leather before collecting his scimtars and second quiver, adding them to his collection of weaponry, and dragged himself over to his father's bedroom.

Inside he found the four curled up in bed the two children sandwiched between Anthol and Sidwae. He smiled to see his father's sabre on the bedside table. He sat in front of a window and leaned back against the cold wall. Sleeping in armor was never comfortable, but he'd managed it in the past to save time on exam days. Slowly, he drifted off to sleep.

Having got a few hours sleep, Tyrius woke up and pulled his coat out of the drawers. Unrolling it, he retrieved both of his daggers and put on the coat. The daggers went into his pockets as he retrieved his quarterstaff from where he'd left it propped against the headboard. Heading for the master bedroom, Tyrius nodded at Ander, "Figured I should take a watch as well," Tyrius said as he leaned a little on his quarterstaff, "Any sign of another attack?" Tyrius asked, hoping that the answer to his question would be no.

Dawn of the Second Day
Day Two: De'Porthca Manor: Early Morning

Eventually the house wakes, servants gently knocking on doors and informing everyone that breakfast has been prepared in the dining hall. The children both seem pretty muted, and both Sidwae and Anthol have circles under their eyes.

The house is quiet in the morning from the events of the night prior. Guided to breakfast, the table has placed on it bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, and plenty of fresh bread, along with offerings of milk, water, or various types of juice.

Ben wakes in the morning, longbow clutched to his chest and a sword on either side, stiff from sleeping pressed up against the wall. He's glad to see his family is alright. With his arms and armor he makes his way down to breakfast taking a seat at the table and piling a plate high full of bacon and ham and eggs, several rolls, and requesting a glass of grape juice to wash it all down. As the rest of his family comes to the table, he pulls out a chair to either side of him offering them to Robern and Joane who he helps fix their own plates of food. "You both need to eat. Especially after last night. If you want to grow big and strong and keep each other safe you can't skip breakfast." He added a bit of extra food to each child's plate while everyone took their seats.

"It seems the time is right to dispense with formalities, I'll be wearing my leathers and baring arms until this is through. There was an attack on my siblings in our house last night and you all were there to answer the call. Sit where you'd like and enjoy breakfast, I doubt we'll have time for lunch. Please, feel free to arm yourselves."

"Father, I plan on going to speak with the other families still. I believe Tyrius planned on joining me. If you could send word that we're coming and make sure they know of the attack. We don't have time to play games of fancy. This affects all of us. We'll try the Accmours first, Eliza, if you'd like to join us they hold the local registry."

"Unless you've any other plans, Anders and Winston, the two of you should hit up the local bars. Ask for Cate, and tell her you're a friend of mine. She might be able to help you with some rumors and make sure you don't get mugged."

"Virra, I'll get you that map this morning after we've eaten and before we set off. Though I would still like to know what you plan to do with it. It doesn't seem wise to split up or spread ourselves too thin. Perhaps you'll consider joining Eliza to look over the registry?"

Ben nodded to indicate he was done and continued to eat his meal.

Walking down to the dining room from memory, Tyrius had left his daggers back in his room but kept his quarterstaff with him. Piling up his plate with bacon, sausage, eggs and two rolls, Tyrius sat down in the same seat he'd been in for dinner. Tyrius listened to Benito while looking over Ben's siblings. 'I don't know what that thing was that attacked Robern last night but to attack a child - I hope we can get whoever is behind it before they kill another.'

At the mention of his name, Tyrius nodded. "Hopefully they'll be able to tell us something useful." commented the red head. 'Such as, were all the previous attacks at night? Were there any strange messages like we heard? Were other people enchanted in the same vicinity as the victims?'

Like the good houseguest she was, Virra only kept the servant waiting for a couple of minutes while she changed into her leather armour and got her stuff in order. It wasn't like she needed direction to the dining hall anyway; she could have worn a blindfold and still been able to sniff it out. She made her cheerful morning greetings while piling a plate with a portion of everything that had been laid out on the table, only pausing to figure out which juice she was in the mood for. Then she picked a place across the table from Tyrius - unnervingly close to the mistress of the house, but she'd make do - and took her seat. Cross-legged, unsurprisingly.

She managed to strike a balance between eating ravenously and listening to the plans Benito was laying out. The idea of going to check out the registry was... a tough one to swallow. It sounded just like the kind of drudge-work she couldn't stand, but on the other hand, she'd be doing it with Eliza, so maybe it'd be tolerable. Plus, it was her best chance to get an hour's hard thinking, and she just knew everyone would be impressed with the results of that.

"I'm fine with whatever," Virra said gamely, washing down a side of bacon with juice. "And the map's just to help us work while we're at the registry. Geographical sleuthing," she clarified, giving Benito her best "don't press me" look.

???????:
There was nothing but coldness, wetness, and darkness. Catelyn tried to stay calm, knowing that panicking only made matters worse as she realized that she was submerged in water. She quickly unclasped the thick, hairy cloak from around her neck as it began to drag her down and tried to swim for the surface, finding it impossible to make any progress in the heavy chain mail armor she was wearing. Her hands fumbled for the clasps and latches but her breath began to give out and she involuntarily opened her mouth, salty seawater rushing in to fill her lungs. Losing all semblance of thought or strategy, Catelyn began to claw desperately to try to reach air, but her efforts were in vain as she felt the rings of her armor shredding her skin. She opened her burning eyes to see blood, her blood painting the water around her red as her limbs began to give out, and she slowly drifted off, the last sensation she heard being the ringing of bells...

The Church of the Crying God:

Catelyn woke in a cold sweat gasping for breath as she heard a second bell indicating that it was time to wake. Her eyes still bleary and feeling as if they were stinging, she looked around the sparsely decorated room to see the faintest hints of light creeping in from the open window. The black haired, lithe human woman stretched, letting out a single yawn before she pushed herself into a seated position on the side of her bed, eager to put her latest nightmare behind her. She reached out to her bedpost and grabbed the long, red cord that hung upon it. She began to loop it around her right hand, speaking softly in celestial as she did so. "Life is sacred, and it is our duty to protect it. We cloth the naked and feed the hungry, so that one day the downtrodden may find a new beginning. We aid the wounded and the sickly, as the Crying God weeps for their torment. We console the lost and the grieving in hopes to be the light in their darkest days. We protect the innocent and the unwitting from the wicked, for if it were not us, then who? We endure the greatest of tribulations, for through our suffering we find understanding. Ilmater, Our Lord on the Rack, I pray that You give me the strength on this day to stand stalwart against whatever challenges I may face. Allow me to become Your instrument in this world so that I may serve You in the great conflict of life. In the name of the Broken, amen." As Catelyn finished her prayers, she tightened the many times looped cord around her hand as the small barbs hidden into the fabric dug into her skin. She got off of the bed and knelt down, meditating on the pain as she felt the familiar power and strength of her deity seep up through her arm and throughout her body.

Having finished her prayers, Catelyn stood up and walked over to her wardrobe, frowning slightly as she saw the heavy chain mail armor that her order required her to wear. I know it is so that we can protect those in need in a moment's notice... but by the Rack if it is not the heaviest mail in the city! Saying a small prayer for forgiveness for her griping, Catelyn shrugged off the simple nightgown she wore and changed into a cloth tunic before donning the chain mail on top. Despite the warm weather, Catelyn wrapped herself in the thick, hairy cloak that was customary of her order and pulled on her thick travelling boots. She strapped her simple mace to her side and picked up her shield before taking a moment to check her reflection to make sure that she was presentable, seeing stormy grey eyes staring back at her with a slight smile to them. With a shrug, Catelyn slung the shield over her back and exited her quarters to the living hall of the shared upstairs dormitory of the temple.

Spying Ruina, a younger looking halfling woman, already cooking breakfast, Catelyn gave her a wide grin as she approached. She exchanged greetings and received a plate of simple, gray looking oatmeal with a small portion of scrambled eggs, two sausages, and a hunk of bread. She gave Ruina a grateful nod before her eyes found the older dwarven man that she had been searching for seated at the head of the table. Catelyn walked over to him and bowed reverently before taking a seat. "Ilmater's grace be upon you, Father Uskough. I am afraid I come to you with troubling news." Catelyn looked to the side, almost ashamedly. "I had the dream again last night. I believe it went on longer than usual this time, but I cannot be entirely certain." Catelyn looked down at her plate for a few moments before looking up to the older dwarf, worry in her eyes. "I have been praying more as you have asked, but the nightmare's have only seemed to worsen since. What do you believe it may be? Is Our Lord on the Racks asking me to accomplish some sort of task for Him, or is it Suffering that He seeks?" Catelyn tried to hide the shiver that ran down her spine as she spoke of the holy sacrament of Suffering, praying that her fears would not be realized. Ilmatarians are taught to endure and embrace that which the world throws in our path... but to willingly subject yourself to the cruelties of our own minds is a whole different sort of punishment...

Father Uskough smiled gently as Catelyn seated herself at the table, but his smile faded as he heard her speak. Placing a gentle hand on hers, "To have such a consistent dream ... perhaps Our Lord Ilmater is attempting to guide you to a Suffering that has been borne, but never Relieved." The dwarf's aged eyes seem to look into the distance as he continued, "Aye ... when I was younger, I too was given dreams -- horrid in their pain and Suffering -- it was only later when I was wandering, I realized: my dreams had been pushing me to carrying a Burden for another." Uskough smiled towards Catelyn again, "I'm sure you think, 'but of course, Father -- for that's the task of Ilmater and his followers,' yet the Burden I carried for the fellow matched my dreams."

He raised his hands, gesturing to the building they were in, "I carried their Suffering in their stead, and we were gifted this building for our church, where before we merely wandered the streets, homeless but still serving our cause." Eating some of his own simple porridge he continued, "Fear not what your dreams show you, young Catelyn, for Suffering and Perseverance are our Burdens." Father Uskough pulled apart his bread, slightly stale and dried out, before looking to the young girl again, "So tell me, young Catelyn, what are your plans for the day? Will I be seeing you around the church, or do you have some aid to deliver this day?"

Catelyn’s expression eased as she listened to the wise dwarf, and when he had finished, she nodded with a smile. “You’re right, of course, Father. I will not dwell on my visions, for I have faith that our Lord will make his wishes clear soon enough.”

Catelyn began to eat her meal for a moment as she thought of how to spend her day before setting down her fork and looking back to Father Uskough. “I think that I’ll start off with a trip to the Market for supplies before I take a walk through the Maze, hopefully be able to provide for those who are most desperate. Then, I believe I will make my way over to the Harbor, perhaps check some of the local bars for weary souls. My visions are of drowning in salt water... I would imagine that the docks would be a good place to start.” Catelyn paused before looking to the dwarf again with an apologetic smile. “Forgive me Father, I had forgotten to ask whether there was anything that you wished from me first. How may I best serve?”

After the fighting had died down the night before, Winston searched the grounds outside the house for any sign of other intruders, but the darkness made it nearly impossible for him to see. He fumbled around outside but eventually gave up and went back to bed. He awoke the next morning to the knocking of the servants, and proceeded with them to breakfast in his casual clothes, but again bringing a dagger with him.

Winston sat again at the end of the table, and started piling food on his plate, mostly meats and bread. He listened to the others as he ate, saying nothing until he was addressed by Ben about going to check out the bars with Ander. Winston turned to look at the paladin, smiling amicably at him. He looked back at Ben, saying “Sounds like a plan to me. Is there a particular bar this Cate frequents? Or is she well known around them all?” Winston went back to stuffing his face as he waited for answer from Ben, glancing sidelong at Ander from time to time.

Eliza had fought her own personal battle and lost that morning. Her hair stood untamed much to her displeasure and no number of prestidigitations worked. Nodding off hair a-frizz over her third coffee, the wizard jolted awake to Ben’s words and nodded absent-mindedly, “Mhm, mhmm.”

Faust busied himself with nibbling his way through Eliza’s plate chattering with the now snoring half-orc.

The old dwarf shook his head with a smile, "You best serve with your own set tasks I believe. I merely wondered who all I'd have under my feet today as I helped those who come to us." After another spoonful of porridge he added, "This building was a welcome gift, but still at times it feels small when it comes to trying to help all those who ask their Burdens to be lifted, even if only for a moment." Father Uskough sighed for a moment before looking back to Catelyn, "All I ask is you follow where Ilmater deigns to guide you," he rested a hand on the red cord she'd bound around her wrist -- his own worn cord visible on both wrists, "and I know you will serve Him well."

Noise could be heard as a few others stepped into the small dining area, a human woman followed by two male acolytes who placed themselves at the table. Father Uskough winked at Catelyn as the conversation from the new trio overtook the small area -- Eirene seemed frustrated at the two men.

Collecting her own breakfast she sat, exasperated, "Seriously you two -- just because we're supposed to wear the vests on bareskin doesn't mean we can in towns like this." She pointed a spoon between the two of them, "We all know what you're eager to see, and I suggest you move on."

Rerehi and Haeden shared a look with a grin before Rerehi replied, "Oh? And what's that Eirene? Maybe we're just concerned that practices and expectations for followers of the Crying God aren't being followed as closely as they should? You should get your mind out of the gutter, yeah?"

Benito rolled his eyes at the glare from the small woman, he had endured his share of looks and was largely over how people 'felt' about 'things' and 'decorum'. It was always much easier to dive right in and get to the heart of the matter. She seemed so eager to keep her secrets, but he had loftier goals: the survival and preservation of himself and his family. Though she was willing to help, and for that he had some respect for her, a rogue wizard could get in a lot of trouble running around without a graduation pin, so he decided to confront her in private. I'll just invite her to the study when I offer to collect the map and she and I can have our discussion there. Otherwise she'll be learning the alleys of Porthca in a body bag or on a stretcher. There's no room for distrust while the twins are in danger - not among the help at least.

As Winston spoke up, Ben turned and nodded, "Cate? She's... well she's all over the place. Two best ways to find her are to look like you're homeless and destitute or find a bar she hasn't visited and wait for her to show up. She's probably still wearing that stupid fuzzy shawl and that dirty old chain mail. So pretty face, ugly clothes, and insatiable need to help the downtrodden." He finished it with a chuckle, "She's actually a really kind person, and a great friend, so treat her with some respect. Please?"

Ben finished his meal, wiping his mouth with a cloth and standing from his seat. "Virra, lets go get you that map." He moved toward the door, waiting for the woman to 'Hopalong'.

Catelyn smiled to Father Uskough and rested her other hand on top of his. “Thank you, Father. I promise to serve our Lord as best I may on this day. Ilmater’s strength be upon you.”

Catelyn removed her hands from his and stood up from her seat, taking her plate and walking over to the washbin as she heard the trio arguing. She called over her shoulder with a grin as she washed her plate. “Eirene, you should show Rerehi and Haeden some respect. I’m of the belief that they’re a gift from Ilmater himself to show us the true meaning of Suffering.”

Catelyn chuckled as she set down her plate and flicked her wrists to dry off her hands before turning to Eirene. “The vests are for divine quests and battles, not for our day to day healings and services. For those we wear the cloaks, both to mark our status and to clothe those in need. Ignore those two lecherous hounds.”

Catelyn turned to the two men, still with a calm smile on her face. “And as for you two... it is true that our Lord preaches to endure, but I pray that I mus’nt remind you of the Book of the Bound:16? ‘Though thy mouth shall remain shut at all insults hurled your way, tolerate not the oppressor, the liar, or the persecutor.’ Or have you forgotten that practice and expectation?” She gave the two of them a meaningful look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread