Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor : Study

Sipping the wine, Anthol kept his eyes closed while he listened to Benito, eventually swallowing with a nod, "I believe they've managed to improve their wines since I last sampled a bottle, back when I was younger myself, nearly your age." Anthol gently placed the wineglass on the desk as he leaned against it, his gaze vacant for a moment. "To be so young again ..." he rubbed under his eyes before looking upwards at the two flickering lights that floated through the air. "Do not assume it's fully on Sidwae -- I suggested it to try and keep idle gossip away from Rob and Jo. We both know how difficult ... a death can be to younger ones, the rumours and constant muttering don't make it any easier. This house needed to be a place they could go to and get away from it."

He ran a finger along the edge of the glass, "It sounds as though you and your friends have quite the day planned. You know our library is always available to guests of the family, however I'm not fully sure what they intend to try and find. With the other families, I suggest you still keep your manners -- their grief may have had time to fade, but questions only bring it up once more." Anthol took another sip of the wine before continuing, "I can attempt to write out a request of access to the registry for young Miss Carabelli, yet I cannot promise how much the Accmours will actually allow her to see."

With a sigh Anthol bowed his head as he leaned against the desk, "I hoped we could simply talk and catch up as we used to, but I understand your desire to try and solve this. Were I younger, perhaps I'd follow, but it appears my role is once more signing the right papers." He glanced towards Benito with a smirk for a moment, "I ask you do not mention what I say infront of the twins. They only know Cyne was found deceased, but not the specifics. The death of a family member is bad enough, and as attached as Robern was to him ... it's all we can do to get the boy to eat lately. Sid's considered ... I'm unsure how I feel about it, but she's spoken with a few of the Accmour's people about potentially casting something called 'Modify Memory' on the boy, to try and help him recover from the grief..."

Anthol paused before he continued speaking, "We found Cyne in this room, at the desk. Sid found him first -- a servant mentioned he never went to his room at night. At first we thought perhaps he was just working through the night, it was something he'd done before, and figured we'd find him likely asleep at the desk," Anthol chuckled for a moment, "More than a few times we've found him using a ledger as a pillow. Well... we had found him, at least." He frowned, "She approached him, intending to wake him and remind him to get cleaned up for breakfast, except he didn't respond, even after she nudged him. She panicked and called for a spellcaster -- hoping perhaps he'd been spelled -- some sort of sabotage or something, an attempt at assassination, only to learn he was ... dead. We waited to see for sure -- I've heard some spells merely mimic a death-like state, but ..." His gaze lowered again, "We had an investigation done -- he somehow had water in his lungs, yet the room was bone dry."

A hardened expression crossed Anthol's face, "We even ... allowed a caster from the Accmours to 'speak' with him, in his death. The only question he answered ..." His voice broke as he paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "he only answered one question: 'Did your murderer say anything?'" Anthol sniffed as he took another sip of the wine, placing the glass back down shakily, "He answered: 'They said, "The Sea remembers its Debts. The Sea demands they be Paid."'"

In this moment, one can see how old Anthol actually is -- the cheerful appearance he generally has worn to the public has faded, even the friendly father he acts around the home has faded. Before Benito stands a man who has lost much he's loved, and who worries he's going to lose even more.

Porthca Docks | Late Evening

The fishermen got into port late -- some of the winds just weren't in their favor, making them work for every inch they could get as they came in. Didn't help they were one of the smaller boats, and in Porthca larger ships got right of way or else. Various crests can be seen on sails, sailors wearing small strips of cloth on their arms while on the docks, matching the sails of ships they belong to. Nalde, one of the fishermen on the vessel moves along behind a tiefling woman who steps out onto the docks, carrying a few of her items, "Here ya are, Miss. The lovely docks of Porthca -- keep a hand on yer coins though, lots'a sticky fingers you'll find here. The Tuckered Kraken is pretty good for a meal and rest if ya dunno where to go fer now."

Menodora stood on the dock in a daze, taking in all the new sights and sounds and adjusting to the relative steadiness beneath her feet. The dock did not sway the way the ships did but the waves could be felt as vibrations in the wood, along with the activity of the sailors that go about their business. “Thank you for the passage,” she said almost absent mindedly and reached behind her to hand him a gold coin. Without even seeing if he’d take it from her, she released the coined and headed down the dock and toward the city. Having never been in the city and having yet to come up with a plan for her searching she figured she’d find the afore mentioned place, The Tuckered Kraken. As Menodora wandered through the port she was pleased to find she wasn’t the only one of her kind and she had yet to get any strange looks. She supposed in a larger city living inconspicuously was not necessary which calmed her nerves a bit. As she walked her mind began to clear but she did find herself stopping often to read the full text of any sign or postage she passed. Doing this was unnecessary, but the strong desire to do so she could not stop. Menodora eventually spotted a sign that pictured a sleeping kraken and in Common read “The Tuckered Kraken.” She approached the building the sign belonged to and entered.

The Tuckered Kraken | Late Evening

Entering the structure this is obviously a place the dock workers hang out -- most patrons have plenty of tattoos visible, or wear small strips of cloth marking out their respective ships, matching the colors each ship flies, and family ties within Porthca. Conversation is rough, occasional cheers or arguments as card games are won and lost, a few sea shanties can be heard over the din.

Behind the bar stands a middle-aged human, curly brown hair, some muscle on his arms as he leans against the bar, watching the latest argument, a grimace on his face. His shirt a faded yellow, belt a dark red holding up brown leggings -- a few servers, mostly human as well, work their way around the floor of the tavern, delivering drinks and food alike.

The bar itself has a few open seats, most patrons seem to favor the tables -- sitting with crew mates or fellow cardplayers.

Benito swirled his wine, almost wishing he had something stronger. Wine was never his favorite drink, but he wanted something appropriate for his father and the intent of the bottle was not to get drunk, but to reconnect. He took a sip and nodded his head, "I'll be sure no one bothers the twins, though I wonder where Robern was when it happened. The two were always inseparable." He sighed, "I wouldn't advise magic be used to cover grief, it could be all the worse if he were to ever find out. Sid would regret the resentment that might bring. When..." He paused. "When mom died, we were there for each other, and that's what we needed. That's all Robern needs too. It was mentioned that Sidwae wants Jo to learn more about the proper side of things. You should encourage Robern to teach her how to negotiate, I'm sure Cyne did his part and taught the boy well."

Ben moved to the door, unlocking and opening it. After checking that no one was waiting outside he closed and locked it again, moving to the far side of the room and speaking in a hushed voice, "It's hard, you know? Talking about everything that's gone on. I killed that man, and you got me out of it, gods know how. We haven't really had... this... since then. Sid's always hanging around, got her nose in everything. It was always so easy to point at the moment mom died and say, 'Yup, that's when I lost my mother.' It was so black and white, but when you married her, I guess I just feel like I lost you too. And you know the silly thing, that man wasn't even talking about mom. He meant Sid, just some drunk sailor trying to make a buck off a drunk noble. I wanted him to mean mom so bad, but I still dream about it, he couldn't have known her. Like it would justify what I did, to know that I was doing it for family instead of the woman who tried to take her place."

"I would have been content to rot in jail. Seemed like the only time anyone paid me any mind was when I was acting the fool, getting drunk, roughing someone up, running around like a criminal or an urchin. Got more face time with you that week in jail than I had since you married her. Then it was all gone again, and even worse her sympathy replaced by disdain. How dare I defend her honor in a bar, or stand up for my family name. I'm glad you sent me off to Azarad. It did me a lot of good."

"You know our influence doesn't count for much out there. I struggled with casting, and I didn't do well in school. Most of my time was spent studying, not enough time to get into trouble because I had to pass a class or be dampened and sent back here. Honestly I lived long enough without magic that I don't need it, but being stuck here would have been torture. Even when I was here, I slipped away to the bars and seedy dens, just so I didn't have to be around and ignored." Benito paused as a thought occurred to him, That could be how a gifted caster would stay off the registry without being caught... The family used to deal in smuggled dampeners among other things. They're not difficult to remove if you know the keyword and the gesture, and they don't draw much attention. A well made one doesn't even have much impact on other magics nearby. I should tell the others. He turned back to his father, "As I was saying, it was eye opening to be considered less than special while I was there, and I earned a lot of undesired attention. Students who thought themselves better than me, teachers who laughed at my difficulties with even the simplest spells."

"I really struggled, but I was determined to succeed. I didn't want to be a failure, I just wanted to accomplish something. I did accomplish something. Seeking Shot, the demonstration I did for Jo this evening, I graduated with that shot. Do you know how rare it is for a Weaver to be able to Weave in combat? More than that, to be able to direct an arrow to a target you can't even see. Only a hand full of Arcane Archers have ever graduated with that arrow. Not even a 'Good job, Ben.'"

He sighed, "So, I guess that's what I've done. I've held on to a lot of resentment through my schooling. Let it burn like coal to drive me to accomplish things people said I'd never do. But when I opened that letter.... It's time to put that in the past. I'm here and ready to help." Uncomfortable with that long confession and discussion of his time away Benito continued to nurse his drink as he realized this was the longest amount of time he'd had with his father alone since Anthol and Sidwae's marriage.

With the food gone and the conversation slowing down, Virra finally allowed a servant to lead her from the dining hall with a simple "Night, all!" to the rest of the group as they parted. The room that had been picked out for her was... well, it was a room. Given how resplendent the front hall and the dining room had been, this decoration in this one was almost aggressively basic. Still, for a vagabond like her it certainly beat the typical inns and flophouses to which she was accustomed.

Virra went over her belongings one last time to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be, then paused for a moment to consider her options. As busy as the day had been, she hardly felt tired, and turning in while there were still hours left in the day felt almost criminal. She already knew the servants wouldn't let her go exploring in the house, even if it was for "work", so that was out. What she really wanted was to pay a visit to one of her new companions -- Eliza, maybe, or Ander, since they hadn't spoken yet -- and get friendly with them. Learn a little more. But given how obviously unused they were to their surroundings, a sudden visit from her might only make them more uncomfortable and reluctant to share. Damn it, just pick something to do!

With some reluctance, Virra clambered onto the bed, still in her dinner finery, and crossed her legs. If there was really nothing else for it, she would do her exercises and go to sleep. At least Porthca gave her a new setting, a new atmosphere to drink in as she wandered. So she shut her eyes and put her hands down by her sides, curling her fingers into the bedsheets.

After she'd used a minute to listen to the murmuring voices of servants downstairs and the creaking floorboards of the adjacent rooms, she began to tune them out. A few more to focus on her breath and heartbeat, and she let them fade as well. The sounds she wanted were distant, filtering in from the city beyond the walls of the mansion. Even this late in the evening, there was so much to sift through; so much that Virra wouldn't even try. Only listen close.

A gruff voice, raised above the swelling wind. A seabird's shriek, somehow distinct among a dozen others. A snorting mule, hauling a cart through narrow backstreets. They all drifted into Virra's mind and faded in a moment, replaced by new, sharper sounds, and more besides.

The clicking of a pair of shoes and the sensation of the cobbles beneath them. The rustling of pages and the scent of candle wzx. The haze of incense and the thrum of low hymns. The clatter of iron flagons and the muttering of their owners, so close she could touch them; taste the ale they quaffed. They were talking about fishing permits. Pack-horses. Card games. Rents. Thieves. Families.

That's enough, Virra. If you won't take this seriously, we'll go back to working on the talents. Virra, what did I just say...?

Anthol nodded at first, wiping his eyes, "Perhaps you're right in that respect ... we'll have to consider it."

He watched curiously as Benito went to check the hallway, and listened silently as his son seemed to have much to get off his chest. Once he seemed finished, Anthol gently took the wineglass out of Benito's hand, setting it on the desk, and embraced his son once more, a hand on the back of his head as he gently pressed Ben's face against his shoulder. "I ... did not realize how much this all weighed on you, Ben." Anthol pulled away from Benito slightly, studying his face, "I know you and Sid haven't always gotten along, and I know she can never replace Elean, but ... please believe me when I say there's more to her than she usually shows around others."

Sighing he lowered his head, "Everything got muddled for me after Elean died ... I know that doesn't excuse how things have been, but as you've said, this is the time to try and set things right, doing what we can. It seems Elean's death pulled us apart, and now Cyne's ... is putting us back together again." He clapped Ben on the shoulder, "Jo told me about the archery show you did earlier, even if those over in Azarad weren't impressed, I'm always proud of what a De'Porthca manages to do, especially my own son." He patted Ben's shoulder again, "When you need me, I'm here -- I promise. Come hell or an angry Sidwae," Anthol chuckled.

Benito leaned into his father's embrace, holding him close and choking back tears. He looked away from his father, ashamed. "Life was hard when mother died, for all of us. I'm sorry Cyne's death is what it took for me to truly come home. I wish things were different, but we can only move forward." He looked up to meet his father's gaze with a slight smirk at his father's mirth, "We can only hope hell comes before I anger Sidwae again." Ben too chuckled.

Straightening his outfit once more and rebuttoning his vest, Benito smiled, "It's been a long day, traveling here and dealing with the emotion of it all. We'll have to finish that bottle another night. As you said, tomorrow is a busy day and I have much to get done with my cohorts. Perhaps, tomorrow night you can catch me up on all that I've missed in my absence? I hope it is not nearly so dour." Ben moved toward the door before turning back to his father, one hand on the doorknob, "I had meant to ask, of those that died, how many were their family's representatives to the council? And when is the next meet; if I'm going to be participating in the family, I'd like to attend."

----------------

Benito closed the door to the study behind him, and walked quietly over to his room. Before lying to rest, he took his bow from the wall and very carefully unstrung it before polishing the wood and caring for the string. He had learned from his mother how to properly care for a bow, and this had become something of a nightly ritual for him, all the more important now that his bow was his Loom. Ben laid the cared for bow back across the hooks on the wall, out of the way in case someone were to enter then changed into comfortable sleeping silks from the small chest at the end of the bed and retiring for the night. As he laid there, awake and waited for sleep to take him, he stared at the family picture on his nightstand.

Anthol moved to start putting the bottle away, and picked up the pair of drinking glasses as he listened to Ben, "Hm... of the council members, there was Cyne ... of course. Then, Madame Defallian was as well. The other two weren't. Poor little Gilmarie, she and Joane used to talk quite a bit at the official parties..." He sighed once more, "We're nearing the end of the month, so I believe the next council meeting is a week from now -- seven days. Only a few days after Cyne's funeral..." Shaking his head he followed Benito to the door, "When it gets closer, I'm sure you can come with me. I'll need to explain some of the specifics, since you never seemed interested before, but that will be for later."

De'Porthca Manor | Late at night

Attempting to appear casual, Winston opens his door, intending to ask a nearby servant for some small trinket -- more to scout out the nightly defenses -- only to find a strange absence of any servants at all. As he's focused trying to figure out where they might have gone, a young female shriek is heard -- catching Benito's attention before he could manage to actually fall asleep -- it sounded like Joane! The rest of the house doesn't seem to hear -- the sound dampening for the home working against them.

Last edited:
Struggling to get to sleep, Benito typically slept a tavern when he was home, rarely interested in actually returning home. Just as sleep was about to take him, a scream caused him to jump upright. It sounded like Joane, he could not delay. Quickly, Ben grabbed his quiver, swinging it over his head and taking his bow in hand. He fumbled to restring it as he charged down the hall, towards Joane and Robern's room, shouting, "Up quick! Account for everyone! Something's happened to the twins!" He hoped someone, anyone, had heard him as he arrived at the door, he finished stringing his bow and noted the absence of light. Benito opened the door and flicked a hand toward the chandelier on the ceiling, "Ignite!" With the arcane force behind his draconic command, flames jumped from the candles casting their light on the room.

Winston stayed awake for quiet some time, just sitting on his bed cleaning his fingernails with his daggers, juggling them, just wasting time. Once he was pretty sure the majority of the sounds around the manor had died down, he tucked a dagger into the waist of his pants and padded towards the door barefoot. He tussled up his hair to make himself look as if he was just sleeping, he creaked the door open and popped his head out, squinting as his eyes strained in the dark to see any servants or guards. After a few moments of waiting there, very still, he did not see any movement. He started to walk out into the hallway, intending on scouting out the area some more, when he heard a few loud thumps as someone went running down the hallway. He froze, expecting to be grabbed at any second, but instead he heard a familiar voice shout in alarm. Winston took a couple steps towards the voice, but in the darkness he wasn't sure where he was going. Luckily a light flared from a room down the hall and Winston saw Benito outside the door. He pulled his knife from his waist, and ran down the hall to meet him, calling out "What is it? What happened?"

Ander struggled to get to sleep in the fancy room. 'Why would anyone need all of these things?' he thought as he layed down on the floor at the foot of the bed. He had only ever slept on a bedroll, and had no desire to dirty the fancy sheets. Around the time he had finally started to snore, he heard his host yelling just outside of his room. His guard training quickly kicked in and he was up in a flash. He drew Dawnbreaker from it's scabbard beside him and rushed for the door. Stepping out, he saw Benito standing in the doorway a few feet from him.

Benito's yell and pounding footsteps jolted Virra awake, sprawled haphazardly on top of the bed with her legs at a bad angle. With nothing to go on except the half-heard shout that something had happened, she scrambled to her feet, barely remembering to wipe her drool on her sleeve. At least she had the presence of mind to grab her shortbow and a sheaf of arrows on the way out of the room. At a glance she could make out Ander, Winston and Benito himself in the hall as she emerged, gathering around the door to the twins' room. She hurried after them.

"What's going on?" she called, trying to squirm her way past the others at the doorway to get a look inside the room.

Smack smack smack

“I am up! I am up!” Eliza woke up to the annoying slaps from a nervous mouse. “What’s wrong?”

The mouse scampered off the bed, jumping to the floor and pointed towards the door, squeaking all the way.

“You heard Ben calling? I wonder what’s wrong?” Eliza was thankful she hadn’t had time to change before falling over exhausted on the comfy bed. She grabbed her staff, picked up Faust and faced the door.

Taking a deep breath, Eliza opened the door and walked down the hall following Faust’s directions.

Snoring away, Tyrius was pulled out of his sleep by the sudden shouting coming from the corridor outside. Slightly groggy, it was only when he heard the words "happened to the twins!" that Tyrius recognised the voice as Benito's. Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, Tyrius grabbed his quarterstaff and ran for the door dressed in plain cotton nightwear. Opening the door, Tyrius saw everyone gathered right outside the twins room.

'Please tell me I didn't sleep through something horrible.' Tyrius thought, 'I'm not sure Ben would ever forgive me if harm came to his siblings and I could've done something if I hadn't been so deeply asleep!'

"What's happened?" asked Tyrius, sounding slightly groggy as he leant on his quarterstaff.

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor : Twin's Room

With the door slamming open, Benito could see into the Twin's room -- each one had a side of the room to their own, Robern's surrounded with small model ships of the De'Porthca fleet, while Joane's side had ornate arrows framed on the wall from around the continent. The flare of candlelight caused Joane to look up for a moment before she realized Ben had arrived, and her small hand pointed towards Robern's bed -- a figure was standing over him, lifting him off the bed slightly by the collar of his nightshirt, the boy limp in its grasp.

In the dim lighting of the room, details are still difficult to make out, the figure moving to cover Robern's face with its hand. Shadows around the figure appear darker ... spreading and pulsing like waves hitting the shore until they get too close to where the candles reasonably light. It doesn't appear to either care or acknowledge its new audience as it continues to press its hand to Robern.

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor : Twin's Room

Of everyone, Winston was the first to react, placing himself between the window and the figure standing over Robern, attempting to block another exit. He yelled for Joane to flee, which she quickly did, moving out to the hallway and hiding behind the others, while Robern still hung limp in the figure's grasp.

Virra, seeing the opportunity for a better position, moved onto Joane's bed and used her shortbow to shoot at the figure, adding some psychic damage to the bolt when it landed. The figure didn't appear to react to her strike as Eliza's mouse familiar moved into the room, attempting to tell its master what was going on. The creature continued to hold its hand over Robern's face as Benito charged into the room, attempting to push the figure away from Robern, but couldn't manage to get a solid footing on the bed to try and push it away.

Eliza, in an attempt to help, muttered a few arcane words and flung magic missiles towards the figure -- which impacted but seemed to not do very much. Ander, in approaching the figure tried to keep its attention on him and with a commanding voice cast Compelled Duel on the creature, yelling out to the others not to attack it, or risk breaking the spell. Next was Tyrius who attempted to Charm the figure, only to expend the spell, but not feel it actually connect to the figure.

Unsure what to do after being told not to strike the figure, Winston instead held ready in case it tried to get past him, and seeing Robern still limp on the bed, Vira somehow teleported -- instead switching places with the limp Robern. She found herself looking up at the strange figure as Robern now lay on Joane's empty bed. Faust meanwhile managed to scramble his way up the bed and onto the figure, nibbling at its ear in an attempt to distract. Ben managed to grapple the strange figure after it struck at Ander -- finding it's current target across the room, it swung at Ander, landing one blow, but finding itself unable to land the second.

Seeing the creature strike at Ander, Eliza once more cast Magic Missile, landing a better blow this time, as Ander decided to pay back the figure for its blow with a punch that carried the weight of a Smite behind it. Tyrius, attempting to help as he could, sped himself up with a spell and quickly rushed to collect Robern and remove him from the room, making his way to the Master Bedroom in an attempt to wake the Masters of the house. Opening the door he instead only found them sleeping, apparently ignorant to all that had been going on just across the house.

The kids safe, the group seemed to decide to attack the figure, with Ben trying to call for knocking it out to question later, each person did their own blows on the figure while Tyrius was joined by Joane after she apparently had gotten a shortbow in an attempt to help defend her brother. Entering into the Master Bedroom, Tyrius cast Detect Magic, curious why no one in the home seemed to be stirring, only to see an aura of Enchantment covering both parents.

As Winston's dagger stabbed once more into the strange figure, water seemed to pour out of the wound -- soaking the bed and dampening anyone nearby. The gruesome face still stared at Benito as its raspy voice spoke out across the house, "The Sea ... remembers its Debts. The Sea demands ... they be Paid." It appeared to take a large breath -- like one might before diving -- and when it breathed out, its form collapsed, drenching everyone nearby in cold, salty water. In Tyrius' arms Robern suddenly woke -- confused and panicked about why he was suddenly being carried, and in the Master Bedroom, Anthol and Sidwae could be heard moving.

Throughout the house, sounds come back, as if it never stopped, Tyrius, peering over the balcony, can see servants moving towards their duties. Joane glanced up towards Tyrius, "Lord Silverbane ...? What just happened?"

Last edited:
Feeling the enchantment lift as the aura faded, Tyrius felt Robern shifting in his arms. Giving Robern a quick once over, Tyrius thought he looked fine, 'Should still see if Ander can check him over though. I hope the fact that the enchantment is gone means they managed to get rid of that thing.'
Looking at Robern, Tyrius spoke quickly, "It's okay Robern. You're safe. Do you feel well enough to stand?"
Turning to Joane, Tyrius answered, "There was some form of enchantment preventing your parents from waking." Tyrius explained, "But it seems that enchantment has been lifted. As to what that voice was, your guess is as good as mine." Tyrius glanced at the two children, "Lady Joane, I'm sorry to impose but I think it would be best if Ander checked your brother over. At the same time, your parents are probably wondering what happened as well. If you can tell them that you are both alright, that there was an intruder but Ben and his friends ensured you didn't come to harm and to come over to your bedroom at their convenience." said the red headed sorcerer.
'My magic almost went out of control, thank the gods nobody got hurt because of it.'

Shaking his head in a bit of a daze as his arms failed to grasp the salty water, Benito looked up to the half lit chandelier, Gods damn it, I knew it didn't seem bright in here. I hope where ever Tyrius went with Robern that the boy's alright. He flicked a hand toward the ceiling, "Ignite." The rest of the chandelier lit, brightening the room. Benito shivered. The night was cool, but the water was cold and his clothes were soaked through. With another wave of his hand he spoke, "Dry," and his clothes did. Still chilled, he waved a hand again at his clothing, "Warm." Sudden warmth wrapped his body like a warm blanket or a fresh shirt that had sat on the line in the sun all day. He looked to the others and repeated the last two commands for Ander, Robern, and Winston.

Meanwhile, his mind was a tangled web of exhaustion and puzzling as he tried to fight through fatigue to put pieces together. The sea remembers its debts, the sea demands they be paid. That's the last thing Cyne heard before he died. Perhaps whatever that thing was, it killed Cyne too. And how did it get into the estate? How was no one alerted? Why were the group of us the only ones to answer my call? Surely father heard my cry or Joane's scream. And what even was that thing, not human for sure, its head turned around, I felt is gaze into me, that impending sense of dread. He shivered again, this time not from the cold but from the memory. I... we... may be in over our heads. I was useless to stop it. I could not even free Robern from its clutches. That Virra woman, she teleported, but I recall her mentioning never attending Azarad; unless it was the creature who... but no, he had Robern in his grasp and seemed intent on keeping it that way. If she does have magic, associating with a rogue mage could spell trouble for the family. I'll have to confront her in the morning. His head spun as he thought. He looked around to the others, unsure of what to say.

Last edited:
Ander was terrified, but this kind of situation was what he had been preparing for his entire life. He allowed Benito to dry him, and went over to the young boy, laying his hand on Robern's chest, he attempted to heal the damage caused by the sudden and terrifying drowning. He sighed and stood up, breaking the silence in the room.

"Let's get your family all together in your parent's room, then we will take shifts for the rest of the night at every possible entrypoint. Windows, doors, dawns light we should make sure someone is guarding the cracks in the walls." His face looked completely serious as he stared at the clearly traumatized Benito. "Master Benito, whatever that thing was, it or whoever it is working for will be back. I assume that most of us need to rest before we attemept to figure this situation out, so sleeping in shifts will be the safest option we have."

Ander made sure he was loud and clear enough for everyone to hear him. "Let the children rest with their parents, and I will stand by their bedroom door. Who will take the watch inside the bedroom?"

Well...well...that was something...

Eliza walked over to the puddle and picked up the drenched mouse delicately by the scruff of the neck and tried to dry his face with the edge of a sleeve. "We have to make sure you don't catch another cold." Placing the mouse back in her pocket she looked at Ben, "I don't quite think we will find our quarry on any spellcaster list. Do you have any idea clue what he was talking about?"

For once, Virra had too much on her mind to talk. Wiping sweat and seawater from her forehead, she took a step back and made herself scarce as Tyrius came back in with Robern and everyone began to come alive again. A few glances at their expressions showed worry, and preoccupation. That made her feel a little better about her decisions thus far.

Well, nothing would come of standing around. "I think one guard'll be enough," she suggested, nudging Ander's knee. "And I don't know if the mistress of the house would be happy about having one in her room. But hey, you could ask." Good, her voice sounded steady enough. Then, quickly tuning in to what Eliza was saying - largely because she'd mentioned a 'spellcaster list' - she decided to offer her thoughts there as well. "I was gonna ask the same thing. It looked like it was talking to you, Ben," she pointed out, as softly as she could. It wouldn't help to sound accusatory now.

Ben looked around, somewhat dazed. "I... Don't know what it meant, but it was the last thing that Cyne heard before he died as well." He looked pale, as he rubbed his face. "We should... Check on the others. No one woke up. Where's Joane?"

Bringing Robern back into the bedroom, Tyrius was relieved to find his friends were safe and that the thing that they had been fighting was seemingly gone. Seeing Ben look dazed, Tyrius realised an explanation was in order.

"I managed to get Robern and Joane to your parent's bedroom," Tyrius said, looking at Ben, "Joane's over there now, I told her a short version of what happened as I understood it. That there was an intruder in the twins’ room that had been taken care of and that someone had cast an enchantment on them. Thought it might be easier on your parents hearing it from someone related right after they had just woken up and they could keep Joane safe if need be."

Rolling his shoulders a little, Tyrius continued, "Ran over there carrying Robern and tried to wake your parents. They didn't respond so I tried to detect if there was any magic, thinking it strange they didn't hear me shouting right in their room. Picked up an aura of enchantment. Was about to take Robern and Joane over to the Accmours as Joane said they were your closest neighbours when that voice echoed through the house. I assumed that meant the danger was passed and thought it best to get Robern to Ander."

"Yes... Yes..." Benito looked to Tyrius, "The Accmours could help, maybe... They're also powerful enough to cause this. Enchantment, binding creatures... But I doubt we owe the Accmours a debt they'd do something like this over, especially not their own kin. If we could figure out what this debt is, to whom it's owed... It might give us more direction."

Ben scratched his head and set his bow down, lifting Robern and holding him close. "Don't worry, we'll figure this out. Keep you safe." He messed the young Noble's damp hair and moved toward the door after collecting his bow. "You can stay with me tonight if you want."

De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor : Late at Night

Robern coughed as the others looked him over, "Thanks Ben ... I think ... I'd like that," he coughed roughly again, some water still evidently stuck in his throat and lungs.

Footsteps could be heard as Anthol and Sidwae entered, with Joane leading them, still clutching her shortbow. In Anthol's hand he carried a saber, while a faint glow emanated from Sidwae's necklace, her hair a mess as she blearily looked into the room. The glow faded as she saw Robern and quickly moved to him, looking him over before squeezing him tightly, "Joane told us some of what happened..." she murmured as she hugged him before raising her head to look over the group.

Stepping further into the room Anthol looked at the water on the floor, the dampness of the bed. "Something came into my house ... my home and attacked my family." He shook his head as his grip tightened on the saber. "Nearly took another from us ..." His expression is tired and angry as he looks around at the others. "Ben told me some of your plans to solve this ... anything you need, the De'Porthca will help." Moving towards Robern, he gestured for Joane to approach as well as he knelt and embraced both twins for a minute and Joane's toughness seems to fade as she drops her bow to hug her father.

"I was so scared daddy ..." she whimpered as Anthol hugged more tightly.

He nodded before releasing them and standing, Robern coughing again, "I know little one, but you were still brave. We'll need to get something to help Robern ... I recognize the sound of seawater in the lungs. We heard through the hall it seems some over here had ideas on how to try and handle things overnight, at least until the morning." He gestured across the group, "Please, I'm willing to listen to any suggestions. Evidently our own ... attempts at security are not the most appropriate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back