Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yeah, it's a gift from Lathander, just like everything I have." About what he saw in Virra, he said, "I would've been surprised if his gaze had told me otherwise, I usually have a pretty good sense for people," he said, fully convinced it was true.

"I'm happy to know you better, Virra, but I need to go rest in the children's bedroom for the night. If there is trouble, I imagine it will happen there again, so I can punch it in the face." He smiled and chuckled lightly.

"Oh, sure! Got to keep your knuckles fresh and ready." Like a good host, Virra went to get the door for her guest. "I'm glad we got the chance to talk like this. It was bothering me so much every time I saw you, but now I think I've had a chat with everyone. Feels like we're a proper team now, doesn't it?"

She stood off to one side, propping the door. "Well, anyway. Sleep well!" She waved the paladin off down the hall, feeling quite pleased about everything. This was something she'd missed on the road: the chance to get to know someone over hours and days, maybe even to make a lasting friendship. It wasn't strictly what she was meant to be doing in Porthca, but... well, life was ultimately about the detours, wasn't it.

Catelyn frowned to herself slightly. “Madame Sidwae does seem to like things precisely as she wishes. An admirable trait, unless taken to the extreme. It sounds like Joanne had inherited this from her mother’s side”

She glanced over to the sleeping twins and shrugged. “I’m sure that Robern will come around soon enough. It’s never easy to lose a loved one, especially at such a young age, but he will survive it. Still, he will be looking for someone to talk to, and when he does speak, listen. I am glad to hear that Joane is doing better.” She smiled, embarrassed for a moment. “I was always hopeless at maths myself, but Father Uskough showed me how important it was to learn it in order to perform my daily duties. Maybe you could try relating maths to her interests somehow?” She shrugged. “Just a thought.”

The De'Porthca Manor | Benito's Room:

The small gnome chuckled softly, "Perhaps. Maybe if I use archery ranges for distance figuring, it'll click for her better. 'If you have two gold, how many arrows can you buy?' and so on. With Lord Robern, it need only involve ships somehow and he's as focused as a hawk." As Tanelye laid down, her illusion shifted to a small ship, hovering in the air, the De'Porthca crest on its sails. She yawned before letting the illusion fade once more, "Apologies Miss Cate, I seem to have found myself matching the sleep schedule of the twins, and it is a bit past our respective bedtime. I will hopefully see you in the morning, and not a moment sooner if all stays peaceful."

The soft rustle of sheets could be heard as she made herself comfortable -- even with the bedroll, the floor was still hard, cold marble, the sound of the storm still going outside. After another yawn Tanelye added, "I sure hope the storm passes ... a funeral is sad enough without ... the sky weeping as well."

Eliza tried to focus on the conversations happening around her taking occasional sips from her wine. She had tried to help out the investigation with the best she could but listening on what the other’s had found, she couldn’t help feeling that all her research had been completely pointless. What more could she offer Benito now that even books had failed her? She brought nothing to the table and couldn’t help wondering if it was time for her to leave and try out something else.

She had no apetite but forced down a bite of bread for the sake of appearances. When she had decided to leave Azarad, she had no idea where to go but finally decided on Porthca. It was the nearest place to where she was were she at least she knew somebody. She had hoped Benito might help, but with what she herself couldn’t decide. She had no future to plan for.

She glanced at Benito, he seemed to have aged a decade in those last few months. No, she wouldn’t trouble him any further with her problems, and now that she was completely useless with his, she decided to leave. No point in staying if couldn’t help with the academic side and definitely not in any defensive or combative capabilities.

She nodded at Tyrius’ comment and went back to staring at her plate. She knew Benito wanted her to come to the funeral so she knew she had to wait till that was over but even then she hesitated. Was her presence going to cause Benito any trouble with the other nobles? She knew what negative first impressions she left on people and she would be damned if she would let that affect Benito’s day tomorrow.

Feeling some relief at facing an obstacle that her magic could fix, the half-orc wiped the corners of her mouth and decided to speak to Sidwae. That woman gave Eliza the chills but she trusted her to be honest at least.

She said goodnight to the others and asked one of the servants to help her find Sidwae, she felt it best to talk to her now since she would probably be too busy tomorrow with managing the funeral.

The De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor:

Being asked by Eliza to find Madame Sidwae so late in the evening threw off the servant for a moment before they bowed and led her to the Master Bedroom on the second floor. They knocked softly, announcing, "Madame Sidwae? It is late, however a guest requests your presence if you're still awake."

There were a few moments of silence before the door opened and Sidwae appeared, looking at the pair with slight irritation. Glancing over her shoulder to the sleeping form of Anthol she stepped out into the hall, closing the door behind her and crossed her arms. Though she spoke softly there was still an edge to her voice, "What is it? I had finally gotten to bed after speaking with Benito, and now I am called once more. We've a long night and an even longer day tomorrow."

Eliza firmly clenched the handle of her staff and nodded in greetings to the woman. “I am sorry to bother you at such a late hour but I thought is best to discuss it with you now instead of tomorrow when you will be far to busy, Lady Sidwae.”

Glancing at down at her boots she thought about Ben and steeling her self she looked up again. “I had a few questions about the funeral tomorrow. I know that Lord Benito is expecting me there but I feel like a half-orc with a limp might cause a bit of a stir on what should be a solemn day. I have a spell that could help me change appearances but I felt it best to discuss with you beforehand what the appropriate dresscode and customs for a funeral at Porthca would be since I am sure they differ than Chilldrift’s.”

The wizard started feeling it might not have been one of her best ideas to go straight to the lady of the house with what seemed like minor doubts now instead of just consulting one of the other servants or even Tyrius but it was too late now. She wouldn’t be seeing much of Sidwae after tomorrow anyway so she just nodded and waited.

The De'Porthca Manor | Second Floor:

Sidwae studied Eliza for a moment before speaking, "If they are more focused on you than the reason we are gathered, then clearly they are only there for appearances sake." She waved a hand in the air, "If you truly wish to use your magic for such things, the clothing for tomorrow will be black with simple designs. The Kelemvor temple is very keen on reminding us that death comes for all, the rich and poor, so there is no need for ornate funerals or clothing."

She sighed as she rubbed her head for a moment, "Any jewelry that is worn must be very simple, for it is a time to respect death, and not display worldly possessions. The customs are very simple, I'm sure you'll manage to follow along reasonably. Porthca is no stranger to death, and Kelemvorian funerals are not ornate."

Eliza was momentarily taken aback at Sidwae’s nice reply. Arching an eyebrow, she smiled. “Thank you for your assistance in the matter, Lady. I will leave you to your rest then.” Eliza tried to curtsy like her mother had taught but like before, her cane made it an awkward affair.

She headed back to her room trying to tap lightly with her cane. Once she was back she emptied her bag on her bed and ruffled through her clothes trying to pick the least damaged of the dresses. I can send a message telepathically or set stuff on fire but I cannot mend a hole in my damn sleeve.

Throughly put out she started struggling with thread and needle before giving up and deciding to swallow her pride and borrow clothes for the next day before heading to bed.

Catelyn nodded and spoke quietly, moreso to herself than to Tanelye. “It is tears that remind us that we are all equals in the eyes of the gods. All creatures, great and small have the same feelings.” She sighed and fingered the cord wrapped around her hand for a moment, knowing it was against typical custom to sleep while still bound to Ilmater’s service. Well... I suppose I am still serving him even in my slumber. Given the circumstances, I believe I may make an exception. She lay down in the bedroll, doing her best to make herself reasonably comfortable in her armor before offering up a prayer. O Lord, please aid me in protecting this family. The forces of evil have visited more than their fair share of suffering upon this house. She paused before moving on to her usual prayers. Please bless Father Uskough, Ruina, Eirene, Rerehi and Haeden. I know that Rerehi and Haeden have their rough spots, but they certainly mean well. I pray that You will help them find their place in the Order. Catelyn hesitated before offering up a final prayer that had gone unanswered for many years. I pray that You will watch over my family, wherever they may be. And, if it is Your will, I pray that You may reunite me with them, if even for a moment.

Catelyn sighed and closed her eyes, having an unsettling feeling that she would be visited once more by the nightmares from her god in the night. After a long period of waiting, she drifted off to sleep.

Dawn of the Third Day
The De'Porthca Manor | Benito's Room, Late at Night:

With those scattered about the manor finally finding rest, or attempting to, Cate once more finds herself within a nightmare -- feeling her lungs burning as seawater fills them, a struggle, and panic -- where is the surface? Where can she find air? Attempting to swim, though her arms and legs push through the water, she has no way of telling if she's actually moving or merely stuck in place, barely even feeling the water move across her limbs.

Tiredness sets in, the exhaustion ... it's only a matter of time now, gods ... why can't it just be over ... the release from the pain and agony.

Up to this point, this nightmare had been the same for Cate as it had the nights prior, a sensation of drowning, however she always woke up just before that final moment. This time, her nightmare continued, thoughts entered her mind that did not seem to match hers -- as if she was hearing some distant argument.

The pain fades, and she finds herself merely floating in the depths, her human eyes barely able to see anything as sounds work their way towards her.

A male voice speaks, sounding irritated, "I did not come here to stay forever."

A female voice, echoes from around Cate, soft and sweet, yet there is a harsh edge to it at the same time, as though the speaker is merely moments away from becoming angry instead of sweet. "You made a bargain with me ... what is time to either of us ...? To all things the depths return, and the rest I claim ..."

The woman's voice becomes harsh, "The rest I claim for myself," Cate feels the water around her shift her harshly for a moment before a soft laugh is heard.

The male voice speaks once more, "I am done being your plaything -- release me already!"

A laugh is heard echoing through the waters as Cate finally wakes, coughing and sputtering as her body seems convinced she was drowning, only to hear the soft sound of movement in the room -- not from Tanelye or the twins in their bed. Standing before Cate in the room, barely visible in the dark, is a form, its voice similar to the male she heard in her dream, "The Sea remembers its Debts. The Sea demands ... they be Paid." It almost sounds ... sad strangely, yet before Cate can react, the form disappears, covering the floor with water that then also dries and fades.

Day Three: The De'Porthca Manor:

Across the house the family and guests woke, sounds muted and any discussions softly spoken. Tanelye helped wake and dress the twins as they readied for the small breakfast that was prepared in the dining room. Anthol and Sidwae were already at the table eating a light breakfast. Both were dressed in black fabrics, course and rough compared to their usual fine fabrics of silk and similar. Sidwae still wore her blue necklace of draped gemstones, however her dress was very simple in design, while Anthol wore clothes almost similar to the level of a dockworker. The twins wore clothes matching their parents, with Joane's hair done in a simple braid.

Ander has found the servant who had received his new cassock and placed it over his normal bright white and gold vestments. He looks down, feeling a bit odd in black, but he has read about funeral services in other places, and they usually required darker clothes than he had ever worn. He came down to the dining room, still carrying Dawnbreaker on his back, though the majority of it was covered by the long black robe. He nodded politely to Anthol and Sidwae and smiled wide at the children.

Benito woke on the floor of the study, pressed up against the door; at some point in the night he'd released his legs which had sprawled out into the room. Rising slowly, Ben wiped the corner of his mouth with a frown. Gods I should have found a bed. He stretched his neck which was sore as he crossed the room to collect his belt with blades and quiver. Once again armed, Ben exited the study and moved down the hall to his own room where he found several servants scrubbing the floors. Confused, but groggy, the young lord shrugged and crossed to his wardrobe, collecting a simple black tunic, a rough black vest, and black trousers.

There he removed his studded leather jacket and pants, along with his ornate black and gold vest. Stowing the leathers and the vest, he then stowed his weapons on the hidden weapon rack, absently hitting the servants with the door occasionally before apologizing. Finally, in his breeches and tunic from the prior day, Benito left for the wash room carrying his simple funeral garb. He paused along the way to request a dagger with which to shave.

With dagger in hand, Benito shaved before changing and heading down stairs. As he reached the bottom of the stairs, he tucked the blade carefully into his belt and headed toward the dining room. He took a seat next to Joane and leaned over, "How're you? Doing alright?" He reached for a roll and the eggs.

The De'Porthca Manor | Dining Room:

With a small hand, Joane covered her mouth while she yawned, nodding. "Yes ... Rob kept tossing all night though, at one point he hit me with his elbow and I woke up," she scrunched her nose before taking a bite of the eggs on her own plate. Holding her sleeves she reached for a biscuit, "I'm glad we don't share a bed too often anymore," Joane leaned in towards Ben with a mischievous smile, "he likes to hoard the blankets too."

Taking a bite she chewed for a moment before speaking again, "Where did you sleep, Ben? Did you sleep in our bedroom instead?"

Catelyn breathed heavily as she caught her breath from the horrifying sensation of drowning before squeezing her fist tightly, shutting her eyes and whispering in celestial. "Crying God grant me sight." She opened her eyes once again and saw a dark purple pool of magical essence on the floor before it faded. Detecting a second supernatural essence in the room, Catelyn stood up as quietly as she could manage, only to see Joanne glowing with a faint green light. She paused for a moment, staring at the sleeping girl before quietly laying back down, a wave of both relief and crushing failure rushing over her. She clasped her hands tightly together before reciting the Ilmatarian Creed over and over in her head until day came.

Catelyn was grateful for how busy Tanelye and the twins were in the morning getting ready, and quietly excused herself to find a room in which she could get ready herself. She found herself back in the bathroom she was in the night before, but couldn't bring herself to run a bath, her thoughts coming back to her nightmare. She changed into a more formal white cassock with crimson trim and draped the furred cape over her shoulders, clasping it shut before taking a look in the mirror. The person she saw in the mirror was hardly recognizable, devoid of her usual optimism. She took a deep breath. Now is not the time to give in. Benito and his family will need support today more than any other. She put on a smile before making her way to the door.

Arriving at the breakfast table, Catelyn smiled and waved to Ben and the twins before moving over to Ander, and reaching up to put a hand on his arm. "Excuse me, Sir Ander? I hope you had a pleasant night of sleep. Could you spare a moment alone?" She tried her best to maintain an even composure, but it was obvious to herself that she was slipping.

"Of course, Sister, I've always got time for my friends." Ander smiled gently as he allowed Cate to lead him away. He noticed the hint of concern on her face, so when he was out of view, he looked to her, mirroring her concern, "what happened?"

Catelyn found an empty room nearby and pulled the very large man into it, her expression dropping. "He was here last night, Lestone, I think. I cannot say how, or why the twins and I survived the night, but he appeared to me and..." She hesitated before shaking her head with a small frown. "My apologies, I should start from the beginning. I believe I had mentioned how nightmares have been plaguing me on the nights of the attacks, yes? I had another one last night, yet it was different this time." She looked down at her cord-wrapped hand, clenching and unclenching it nervously. "In my dream, I am drowning, powerless to move or to help myself. It is rather excruciating, but it usually ends right at the brink of death, yet this time... it continued, and I overheard a conversation between two entities. One of them I believe to be the undead assailant, but the other." Catelyn paused, shivering slightly. "I thought perhaps that she was Umberlee, the Goddess of Storms and the Sea, but upon reflection, I believe it may have been something more primordial. Anyways, she spoke of the bargain she had made with Lestone, and said 'To all things the depths return, and the rest I claim for myself.' Lestone attempted to argue with her and she only laughed in response, and then I finally awoke, half drowned. I found myself staring up at Lestone... Gods, I wish I could have done anything at all. Instead of attacking, he seemed to be almost... warning me perhaps?"

Catelyn shook her head to herself before looking back up at Ander, her face full of worry. "I am sorry for troubling you, Sir Ander, but I know this information is too important to ignore, yet I cannot bring myself to trouble Benito with this... not until I have been able to collect my thoughts at least. Also, in the past, I only had my visions when someone was attacked or worse. Do you think this means..." Catelyn trailed off, not wanting to entertain the thought of more death.

Ander's serious expression grew more severe as Cate spoke. At least they had all been relatively safe, the thought to himself. "Give me one moment," Ander stepped out the door to the room and grabbed one of the young men who were setting up the tables for the funeral. He ashed him if there was any rumor of annother family being attacked during the night, but the young servant hadn't heard anything. Ander asked him to keep him informed if there were any rumors going around, and thanked him, patting his back gently.

He returned to the room where he had left Cate. "No rumors of any of the other families being struck last night, which must mean we are makin' good deterrants for the assassin." He scratched the back of his neck, trying to grasp this situation. "I'm much more familiar with the gods than the primordial forces of this world." The words barely sounded right coming from his lips. "We'd be best off keepin' this to ourselves until after the funeral, but then we need to get our whole group together, includin' Anthol and Sidwae, to try to understand what you heard."

He stood there thinking for a few more moments before he looked at Cate, more puzzled than before. "I've heard some about you and visions, but is there anythin' about you that connects to these families, or the sea? I don't understand why Lestone would be 'reachin out' to you, specifically."

While Ander was gone, Catelyn took a seat in a nearby chair, still trying to wrap her head around the night's revelations. Upon his return, Catelyn breathed out a sigh of relief at the news that there was no other murder. "I am glad to hear that there has not been another death added to the long list." She hesitated before looking at Ander with concern. "Are you sure that we should wait to share this new information? I would hate to think that something might happen as a result of our negligence." She sighed and shook her head. "But I also understand not wishing to trouble Benito or his family further on this day. I suppose if you think it is best to wait, I will wait to mention it."

At Ander's last question, Catelyn frowned and looked equally puzzled. "I... I cannot say that I have the faintest idea why Lestone has been communicating with me. There is little special about me beyond my station as a cleric of Ilmater. From the little that I remember, my parents were both just your average denizens of the Maze, nothing more, nothing less. When I had first begun to have my nightmares, I had thought them to be a message from Ilmater himself, a warning or a glimpse of the threats facing the city. Now... I don't know what to believe. Lestone seemed to be aware of my visions. Could they have been from him all along?" Catelyn slumped in the chair, wishing that she was back at the church so that she could seek guidance from one of her elders.

Ander shrugged. "I'm new ta this whole profetic visions thing," he smiled, thought the fear was still clear in his face. "We should definately allow the family ta greive, and I think you and I should stick with the children today. Havin' two friends of tha gods 'll always be better than one." He looked down at his black garb and looked worried, "Always feel a bit naked without the armor, but this day is not about me."

Catelyn paused and looked away nervously for a moment. "Yes... the children. There is another matter that concerns me that I discovered last night. After Lestone's visit last night, I said a prayer to the Crying God to grant me sight and understanding in dealing with the dark and perverse forces of the world. There were still remnants of the necrotic forces of undeath, but those soon faded, yet I registered a second supernatural essence as well." Catelyn took a breath before looking up at Ander. "Joanne De'Porthca possesses sylvan blood, though what sort is beyond my means to divine. It seems so unrelated to the current predicament, and yet it would be foolish to disregard the possibility of a connection... What do you think, Sir Ander?" Catelyn wrinkled her nose as she tried to clear her mind to process her thoughts before frowning to Ander apologetically. "I apologize for burdening you so much with my troubles, but so much of this is far beyond my experience as a Priestess of Ilmater. I am far more used to dealing with your usual thug or cutpurse in the streets than undead primordial wraiths."

Ander got very serious. "Well, I promised Ben not to spread this, but you've felt the same presence I did yesterday. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me letting you know why." He leaned down close and whispered, "Sidwae and Joane have some fey blood that they share. This may be important, but not so much as to ruin a family over. We should keep it quiet, and allow for one day of grief."

Last edited:
Coming to consciousness slowly, Tyrius sat up in bed and looked around the room as he slowly came around. As he did so, one thought was on his mind.

'Please let everyone in this house be unharmed.' Tyrius thought as he got out of bed and got changed into a plain black suit that he had brought with him, as simple as it was possible to be tailored and still called a suit. Leaving the daggers and the quarterstaff where they were for the moment, Tyrius combed his hair quickly before heading out of the room and downstairs. 'It's sad but I should probably make sure to fetch those daggers at some point,' Tyrius thought as he went down the staircase, 'I'd hope that Ben and his family could be allowed to mourn, but I can't help worrying that a gathering for a funeral would make a very tempting target for those who would wish them harm.'

Walking into the Dining Room, Tyrius saw that Anthol, Sidwae, Joane, Robern and Ben were already eating. "Morning," Tyrius said, figuring that while he'd normally say 'good morning' it would be in poor taste. "The others up yet?" Tyrius asked, hoping that everyone was accounted for and nobody had been attacked.

The De'Porthca Manor | Dining Room:

The twins both shrugged as they ate tiredly, Anthol and Sidwae had been in a soft conversation as they heard Tyrius' question. Anthol glanced around the table, "It's difficult to tell who might be up and who isn't yet. However at the very least it seems we all survived the night."

He sighed as Sidwae placed a hand on his, "I did not imagine there could come a day I'd need to say such a thing in my own house." Pulling the small charm out from under his clothes he frowned, "These charms appear to be working well, we'll have to figure out something to give the Accmours for their aid once this is over."

Ben leaned in to whisper yo Joane, "I slept in the study. There's lots to learn and very little time. I didn't make it to a bed." He smiled, "It wasn't too bad, nice and cool."

As Tyrius entered, Benito nodded but remained quiet to wait for the response from Anthol or Sidwae. When his father had finished he added, "Ander and Cate are up. They stepped into another room." He wondered what could call them away, but had little will to find out. It seemed everyone wanted words with the paladin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread