Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virra caught the map case with both arms, blinking at it in confusion. "...Thanks," she said belatedly, opening it up and sweeping some debris away from her place at the table to get some space. That was right; she hadn't told Ben she'd only wanted the cty map to mark where the hitman was when she discovered him. Well, she couldn't just tell him she didn't need it anymore. I guess I'm the map girl now.

At any rate, maybe this new one could still be useful. She unfurled it on the table and pinned it down with her elbows, trying and failing to find the offending warehouse. "Doesn't make sense," she murmured as Ben continued. "Kind of a roundabout way of complaining about real estate, if that's what this is. Why would he go after the other families first...?"

Tyrius's question brought her eyes away from the map. "No, no idea. I could only register it for a second," she said, and it was obvious from her tone how painful that was to admit. "Maybe I could find a way to see across planes with more training, but... I'm not there yet." Mindful that Anthol was still in the room, and having had enough of discussing her shortcomings, Virra promptly changed the subject. "So, about Malia. Does you think she'll be able to contact the sea any time soon? I'd like to be there when that happens." She had to wonder what kind of mind the sea would have. What would it be like to talk with that...?

Winston changed into the clean clothes that were given to him, and laid in bed playing with one of his daggers until it was time for him to go back down for dinner. He enjoyed his meal thoroughly, scarfing down as much as he could as if it would be taken away from him at any second. When Anthol mentioned that they were all invited to the funeral, Winston focused intently on picking his nails. He didn't understand why he would ever go to this guy's funeral, it wasn't as if he were friends with these people, and he never knew the man. Not to mention, they were just downright depressing. Winston tried to think about what he would rather do instead, but realized...he had come here on a total whim that he might be able to make a big score. It had cost him quite a bit of coin to follow Benito here, and he was really start to run kind of low. Winston smiled quietly to himself -- that's what he would do while the others were occupied with the funeral. He'd make some money the only real way he knew how -- convincing people to buy his shit.

Momentarily content with his decision, Winston tuned back into the conversation, trying to piece together what he had missed out on. Just some wizardy babble about the ethereal plane that Virra mentioned earlier today. He was mildly interested about this way of contacting the sea though, as well as whether the warehouse was the problem after all this research. Either way, he just sat there and drank as much wine as he could, listening in to the conversation.

"I don't know why the other families were attacked, possibly because all the families signed the contract. Or it might be that all the families are using the warehouse for storage. There could be some link or pattern we simply haven't discovered yet. There's still a lot we don't know, I'm just trying to piece together what we've learned and what makes sense." Ben frowned at the shortcoming. It wasn't as if he'd spent the day moping, he'd worked hard to have conversations with each family, secure their aid, and direct the whole crew here and there. Their lack of initiative was understandable, if they failed in their quest, none of them stood to die, but these skills were still largely foreign to the young lord.

As the subject changed he nodded, "Of course you'll be there. We'll all be there. Malia seemed pretty sure she could figure it out but said a few things, first that it would take some time to fully understand the ritual. Second that there's some upfront cost - it sounded like she was referring to spell components. Finally it will be dangerous, and we may be asked to strike a bargain. Her plan entails summoning an elemental to speak with the sea on our behalf, and at the very least it will not be happening tomorrow. It could happen as soon as the following day or it might take a week, it depends on how long it takes her to feel comfortable with the summoning."

Benito sighed, "She might be ready tomorrow, but tomorrow I just want to focus on the funeral. We can leave this investigation be for a day to lay my brother to rest. Please... respect the day of mourning."

"Quite right," Tyrius said as Ben asked for respect. Placing his hand in his left pocket, Tyrius felt his fingers hit something soft. 'What the- oh.' thought Tyrius, his eyes widening a little with his surprise as he momentarily wondering what he'd put in his pockets this time until he remembered the fact he'd torn the lining of his coat up. 'Which reminds me - blue isn't really a funeral colour, so I shouldn't wear this jacket tomorrow anyway.'

Thinking on what Ben had said about a bargain, Tyrius wondered what sort of bargain it could be. 'Regardless of what it costs me personally, I'll take that bargain for Ben's sake as well as his family's. Heh, I'll have one heck of a story to tell Elizabeth if I get home to Wyford. Came to Porthca to pay my respects - ended up on a murder investigation, made a few new friends and maybe strike a bargain with an Elemental.'

As he was thinking about what he might tell his little sister, another thought struck Tyrius. 'The twins. If that undead hitman came for them last night we don't know it won't try another attack tonight.'
"I might be speaking out of turn, but perhaps it'd be safer if the twins were not in their own bedroom tonight. That undead hitman might not be able to drown them thanks to the Accmours, but it knows where they were last night. I wasn't there for most of the fight so I don't know if just strangling and drowning is all it can do, but maybe it'd be safer if the children weren't in that room?" suggested Tyrius. 'I've no problem switching rooms if it safeguards Lady Joane and Lord Robern.'

"I don't think it's disrespectful to keep looking for someone's murderer on the day of their funeral," Virra started, but the rest of her sentence trailed off. It was obvious she wouldn't win. As Tyrius began to discuss the children's sleeping arrangements she made herself scarce, reaching for the nearest bottle to refill her wine glass. So much drinking today, she reflected, feeling oddly unsatisfied. Like even though she was in the thick of things, she was still just as idle as before she came to Porthca.

She found herself looking across the table towards Eliza, wondering when her cosmic opportunity would come. While she waited, she took another sip of wine.

Catelyn raced a hand in acknowledgement to Benito and Anthol’s responses and sat back down. “The clerics of Kelemvor do fine work. I’m sure it will be a lovely ceremony.” She went quiet as she listened to what Benito had learned. It sounds as if Ethes’s tales are true. At Virra’s telepathic message, Catelyn jumped slightly before recalling her abilities and turned to her with a smile and a nod.

When Tyrius spoke of the risks facing the twins, Catelyn spoke up. “I could keep guard over the twins if you wish. Like most clerics, I am trained to be able to detect and drive off undead creatures, and I am told that my observational skills are... substantial to say the least. Besides, if I am to be any sort of comfort to them at all tomorrow, I should probably get to know them.”

Benito looked up, as if he could see through the ceiling to the twins' room. "Cate, why don't you take the twins to my room and stay with them there. There's hardly a place to hide a petal except under the mattress and you'll be sure to check before tucking them in, I'm sure." He then turned to look at Ander, "Ander, would you mind staying in the twins' room this evening? If something does appear, you seem to be the only one who can injure it, and if you can't then we'll pray that Cate's faith in Ilmater will keep it at bay." He set the water down and dropped the necklace back down his tunic. "We'll all have to be careful, we've likely all become targets simply for our defiance."

Ben stood, "If there's nothing else... I have several conversations to have that are more... personal." He chose his words carefully, he didn't want to give too say too much or the wrong thing in front of anyone. "Virra, Ander, if you wouldn't mind giving me a moment of your time?" He turned to his father, "If you could introduce Cate to the Rob and Jo, and ask Sidwae to speak with me. And if you'll lend me the use of your study for some privacy?"

Ander nodded in agreement, having thought of putting himself in the way of anything that meant to hurt his new friends, anyway. He stood, ready to follow Benito into the study.

The De'Porthca Manor | Dining Room:

During the conversation Anthol seemed to be in his own thoughts before realizing Ben had begun speaking to him. "You all seem to have a plan, I'm glad to hear it." Moving to stand he bowed slightly to those still at the table, "Your aid is appreciated by the De'Porthca family, hopefully the next time I see you all will be at breakfast before the funeral." Adjusting his tunic he continued, "You can use the study Ben, might as well get used to using it, considering, and I'll send Sidwae your direction."

He glanced over the others that Ben had called, "Just ... please stay pleasant?" Moving out of the room, Anthol motioned for Cate to follow him as he started to move back up the staircase, leading to the room where the twins typically slept. He knocked briefly before opening it, Cate heard some small chatter that cut out before the door opened, and could see into a room with two beds, each on their own side of the room. The left side seemed to belong to Joane, bows and arrows were hung on the walls, while on the right, maps and small boats seemed to crowd the area.

Stepping into the room it appeared the twins had been talking with a small female gnome who was standing next to Joane's bed. Anthol smiled tiredly towards the room, "Robern, Joane, this young woman is Priestess Catelyn Pryce. She's offered to stay with you both to hopefully prevent last night happening again, however gather your things, you'll be spending the night in Ben's room instead. If something makes another attempt," his gaze hardened, "it might be slowed down if you're not where ... what ever that creature is expects."

Oh boy, a personal conversation. Virra smiled ruefully as both she and Ander were asked to accompany their sort-of employer to the study. Perhaps this would be the break she needed to get to know the stranger from Lokil -- though she would have preferred to have had it alone.

She took a farewell sip from her glass, then swung her legs off her chair and stood up to follow Ben as Ander did the same. The movement let her hide a grin from Anthol. It wasn't clear who he'd been targeting with that little comment, but she enjoyed it all the same.

Catelyn bowed to the rest of the group, staring at Benito for a moment before following after Anthol. The twins are not the only ones who will be in need of comfort tomorrow. She folded her hands behind her back as she walked, still glancing around in awe of the size of the manor, before arriving at the door.

Following in after Anthol, she gave the children a warm smile and a low bow. “It is my greatest pleasure to meet you both. Benito has told me much about you, but it is lovely to meet in person.” She straightened up and her smile dimmed to a slight frown. “I am sorry that we have to meet under such unfortunate circumstances. You have my word that I will do everything in my power to keep both of you safe.” She smiled to them, knowing how little of a threat she seemed to pose. She rubbed her holy symbol and her eyes briefly glowed with divine light. “Don’t worry, I’m a fair bit tougher than I look, and am not alone.”

Benito waited for Anthol and Cate to leave before leading Ander and Virra the same way. The servants would have to direct the others, or they could find their own way about. No sense in worrying about Winston thieving when lives were on the line and secrets were in play, a missing fork or cup was the least of his worries.

He led the two up the stairs and off to the study, pausing at the door to turn to Ander, "Would you mind terribly waiting here. My father should be bringing Cate and the twins by soon." He pointed to the next door down the hall; even though Ander had been in it only that evening, Ben didn't want to leave it to chance that he might not remember, "That's my room there and I'm sure they'd love it if you bid them good night while I speak with Virra."

After a moment, he opened the door to the study and allowed Virra in first. He shut the door and locked it then blurted out quickly, "I wanted to express how terribly sorry I am Virra." He squatted down so he could speak with her on her level. "I want you to know that as unpredictable as I might often be, I don't typically accuse people of being murderers. I was scared and concerned for myself and my family and it wasn't fair of me." Ben scratched his head uncomfortably, "I know I've been harsh and critical and treated you poorly. I just... I want you to know..." He struggled with is words, and in his concentration to find the right thing to say, he fell back, ending up sitting in front of the woman, "I'm trying to be a different person, a 'better man', but it generally seems I'm much, much worse."

Ben paused and thought again before deciding on how to continue, "Things were much easier in Azarad. Fewer expectations of how to behave, who to associate with, what to wear, how to act. Everyone cared so much more about what school of magic you studied than what your family name is... Here there's a lot of pressure, maybe too much pressure for me, to be someone I don't know that I can be." He let out a heavy sigh, "I, uh, wish we could have met there. It would have been nice for you to get to know 'Ben' and not have to see 'Lord Benito'." He shook his head and moaned, annoyed that what he was trying to say wasn't coming out right. He tried again, "I'm not a bad person, despite what people might say or what you might see. I'm just... not really a noble at heart and it's difficult for me to keep up appearances and the pressures of expectation along with some cryptic warnings from Master Accmour led me to make some decisions I very much regret. It's no excuse, but it is an apology."

He looked her in the eyes, a look of regret, "Virra, I am very sorry for how all of this has gone down; how I've treated you and and acted. If you'll give me the chance, I'd very much like to get to know you better... " His apology trailed off, but the regret lingered for a moment.

As Ben asked Ander to stay outside while they talked, VIrra felt a kind of dread mixed with anticipation at what she knew was coming. Obviously he hadn't been satisfied with her explanation earlier, and now he was going to ask her to try and prove her innocence again. That or there was something else she'd done to irritate him and she was about to get taken to task for it. Well, she didn't have to put up with that. This time she was ready to bite back.

So it came as some surprise when, her mouth already open to pre-empt whatever his new accusation was about to be, she heard him blurt out that he was sorry. Virra listened with a confusion that gradually turned to relief, then joy, as Ben explained that he wasn't looking to throw her out of his house, but get to know her better. Full of surprises once again. What was the best way to respond to this, she wondered. Words alone probably wouldn't be sufficient. A handshake? Too formal for her; too stiff. A hug? Maybe too awkward. But then, he looked pretty awkward already.

Sod it.
She walked around to where the noble was sitting on the floor and put her arms around his neck. "Don't worry about it," she said simply. "You've been looking out for your family, and I can understand that. And I'm sorry too. For not being as open as I should have, and for any future trouble I cause you. I'm sure there's gonna be some."

She pulled back a little to smile at him. "But you've got me curious now. What did Master Accmour say that made you suspicious? 'Beware short-statured strangers'? 'Trust not those who sit cross-legged at thy dinner table'?"

Ander knocked on the children's bedroom door, making himself known to the kids and Cate inside. He opened the door and smiled at the children. **"I hope you don't mind. Cate, but I wanted to give the children a blessing as well before we rest."** He pulls out his prayerbook and reads out a prayer asking Lathander to protect and keep. His own holy symbol glows for a moment, bathing the room on what felt like sunlight. **"Goodnight to you all,"** he said, bowing as he prepared to head back to the study.

Last edited:
Ben felt relief, as Virra embraced him. He gingerly wrapped his arms around her in kind before letting go as she pulled away.

He looked slightly embarrassed, "Enol told us - Tyrius and I - that the killer had to be someone with power that we don't understand, and the timing just felt too perfect with the cart and your abilities." Ben tugged at the cord around his neck. "I don't understand, but I want to."

That got a chuckle out of her. "Well, I'll try my best to explain it when we have more time. There's a lot to go over." So it was just a coincidence that Enol had seemed to implicate her -- and Ben just happened to interpret it the way he did. Or the idea had been in the back of his mind for longer and it just happened to burst out when Enol prompted him. It didn't matter much either way.

Her thoughts began to stray to the holy man they'd left outside. "So... was there anything else you wanted to speak to me about?" she asked. "Not that I don't want to get to know you better, but Ander's probably still waiting and there's a couple of things I have to do before bed." She reflected that she'd normally have a lot more to say than just that. Maybe she really did have too much to drink today.

Benito smiled, "No not tonight, I just felt I owed you an apology. I'm sure we'll find time to speak more in the future, maybe share a drink tomorrow at the funeral." He paused, considering if he should say anything then continued, "The funeral is a lot more about closure for those who are still here than for the dead. It might be right to continue searching for Cyne's killer tomorrow, but I need the closure." He wobbled slightly backwards before leaning forward to stand, his momentum carrying him to his feet and his natural dexterity keeping him from toppling over on the woman. "I do need to speak with Ander, but I'm glad I was able to speak with you." He smiled and opened the door, allowing Virra to leave and inviting Ander in.

Seeing some of the others up and leave, Tyrius turned to Eliza and Winston. "Guess we should head to bed too as some point." To Eliza, Tyrius added, "Thank you for the research you did on that page from the Accmours and the work on the Lestones." To Winston, Tyrius added, "And thanks for combing the docks." Yawning slightly, Tyrius said, "Night you two."
As he walked up the stairs towards his room, Tyrius thought to himself, 'Wonder how many people will show up tomorrow?' Passing the twins' door, Tyrius hoped that if something did happen, whoever was in there would make enough of a ruckus he'd wake up and be able to assist.
Entering his bedroom, Tyrius did a sweep of the room, checking places where he thought a rose petal might reasonably be found. Finding none, Tyrius placed his quarterstaff against the headboard, put both his daggers on top of a set of drawers where he could easily reach them in a hurry, changed into some nightwear and went to sleep.

The De'Porthca Manor | Twins' Room:

The small gnomic woman nodded towards Cate as the twins both glanced towards Anthol for a moment. Joane spoke up, "Ben I think mentioned you a few times too ..." she bowed awkwardly from her bed as Robern did the same, "Pleasure to meet you."

Gathering things the gnome spoke up, "Pleasure to meet you as well, Priestess Cate, I'm the nanny of sorts for these two. Name's Tanelye," she gave a short wave before continuing to pack.

Slowly the twins moved out from their beds toward Anthol and Cate in their bedclothes -- Joane with a soft dark blue nightdress and Robern in nightrobes of similar coloring. Anthol took both of their hands as he turned to lead them towards Benito's room, pausing as Ander stepped in for a moment.

With a shrug he led the two children along with Tanelye and Cate towards Ben's room, helping them both up into Ben's larger, though simple bed while the gnome placed their things off to the side. Sitting on the bed he tucked them in with a smile, "I will see you two in the morning. I better not hear from Priestess Cate here that you two spent all night playing in Ben's room, alright?"

Ander came into the study and allowed Ben to close the door. "Are we gonna be speaking with Sidwae, then?" he asked, unsure if Ben had learned any more about his strange senses, or if he was just mad that Ander had brought anything up.

Virra edged around Ben as he opened the door for Ander, slipping by the tall men with practiced ease. She paused in the doorway, evaluating whether or not she really needed to go to bed now.

Sod it again. "Hey, Ander, if you're still awake once Ben's finished with you, I'd be happy to talk too," she offered, cutting in before any more personal conversations started. "You know where my room is." Then she glanced past him, at the young lord. "Hey, Ben..." she started, her train of thought briefly trailing off. Where was she going with this again?

"Good talk, see you tomorrow," she finished, then left. You need to sober up, badly.

Catelyn smiled up at Ander as he entered. “Mind? It would be my pleasure to watch a servant of the Morninglord at work.” She watched with great interest as Ander said his prayer, and smiled brightly to him as he moved to leave. “Thank you for your blessing, Sir Ander. I pray that the Crying God will watch over all of us tonight, and protect us from all that oppose us.” She gripped her holy cord tightly, cutting into her hand before she felt the divine power of Ilmater rush through her, quickly healing the cut in the process. “Good night to you as well, Sir Ander.”

Catelyn turned back to the twins, and gave Tanelye a small wave back. “It is so great to meet all of you. I wouldn’t mind it if you were to refrain from using my title, it feels so formal.”

She followed Anthol and the twins to Ben’s room, glancing around at the sparse decorations and nodding in approval. Her gaze lingered on the frame on the nightstand for a moment, recognizing the missing figures for who they were. She set down her pack in the corner of the room before walking over and reaching up to put a hand on Anthol’s shoulder. “I am sure they’ll behave perfectly. You should get some rest. I know how difficult this time can be, but I can assure you that your children are in good hands.”

What... did she just... Benito heard Virra's voice in his head and it broke his train of though. Oh, uh, yeah! Have a good night, see you in the morning at breakfast.

Ben smiled awkwardly passed Ander at Virra for a moment before the door closed and he looked up at the towering man. I've really got to find some time to chat with her. He walked over to the desk and took a seat in his father's chair. "No, I don't think we will be, but I owe you an explanation for that." He gestured with a hand to a chair, "Please, take a seat." After waiting for Ander to sit down, Benito leaned on the desk looking tired, but trying his best to continue smiling. "I spoke with my father and you were right. Sidwae is more than she seems as you discovered, but this is a matter for my family, and something I ask that you are very discrete about. As it turns out, Joane may have inherited more than just her mother's drive to succeed."

Benito took a deep breath and a moment to lock eyes with the man, "Sidwae is a siren and Joane half that. I am trusting you with this so you might sate your curiosity, but I ask you do not share this with anyone. It could put Sidwae and Joane, the whole family in unnecessary danger. I will be speaking with her this evening and when I know more, if it is relevant, I will share that with you. But this needs to be handled delicately and I don't think your presence will help this go any more smoothly." He paused, unsure what response he might get from the paladin.

Having drank quite a bit of wine by the time everyone started heading their separate ways, Winston was feeling the effects the buzz was having on him. He waved goodbye to Tyrius as he left, then unsteadily stood to his feet as well. He gave Eliza a wave as well, saying "G'night 'Liza." The semi-drunk halfling then wandered towards the front door, waving off any servants who might be approaching to help him or stop him from leaving. He wasn't sure why he had drank so much wine, especially knowing what kind of thing had visited them the night before, but he just felt so out of place with the rest of the others, and the dulling effect of the wine really helped make that more tolerable. It wasn't until Winston got about halfway to the docks that he realized he had forgotten his cloak, and the rain had completely saturated his clothes, but he payed it no mind. The streets were muddy and all but deserted, but he rather enjoyed the steady pattering of the rain as it landed on various surfaces.

When he got to the docks, Winston steered clear of the remaining sailors and docked ships and instead headed to any sort of empty portion of pier he could find. He sat near the edge, short legs dangling well above the water and just stared out over the sea for some time, enjoying the solitude. He remained like this for the better part of an hour, before finally heading back to the manor. Winston waited to receive any dry towels that the servants were able to offer before cleaning himself as best he can and heading up to his room for the night. He placed one of his daggers on the nightstand next to his bed, and wrapped the other carefully and stripped all of the wet clothes off of him once again, laying them out to dry. Instead of changing into any dry clothes, Winston climbed naked into bed, and cradled his dagger as he waited for sleep to take him.

"Hmm, that's the craziest thing I've heard in a while," Ander replied,scratching his chin, "though it does explain what I was feelin'." He looked up at the ceiling, trying to wrap his mind around this revelation. "If you don't think this has anything ta do with these murders; like the sea ain't jealous of yer Pa, or anything like that; then it is entirely yer family's business. I know some champions of the gods get a bad reputation for being simple minded and rash, but Lathander isn't one who hates, and neither to I. Joane is a wonderful kid, no matter what she may be, and Sidwae," he shivers slightly, "is at the very least a mother who's clearly doin' her best for her family."

He stands up, offering his hand to Ben and smiling. "You have my word that this stays between us, and I hope you know what my word is worth by now." He still looks a bit puzzled, but it is clear that he is genuine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back