Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the sacrifice might have been something entirely different from a child -- a ship or some goods, Ethes had suggested. Of course, it hadn't actually been made, and that was what the murders were all about. Or maybe it had been made, and the culprits were just confused. Or spinning a story to confuse the victims. Virra wrinkled her brow. "I should have brought a pencil. No idea how my mother keeps all this stuff in her head."

Deciding against her better judgement to finish off her ale, she licked her lips and offered Ethes a wry smile. "Well, I guess we'll have to see what those books have to say. Thanks for giving us your perspective, though." She glanced over to her two companions. "I can't think of anything else to ask off the top of my head. Do you two have anything, or should we start making tracks?" And maybe get out of here before the drink kicks in, she added mentally.

As she began to push her chair back from the table, she caught a distracted glimpse of Cate's still-bare feet and reached out to her mind on a whim. "Me again. I'm not sure if being barefoot is part of your clerical duties or something, but if it's not I could probably whip up a pair of shoes for you," she offered. "I'm looking to get into the profession."

Last edited:
Benito's first instinct was to push the holy man for answers. Perhaps conjure a flame, it would only last a moment, but that could be enough to get the answers. He focused, the words right on the tip of his tongue: Fire, Flame, Spark. No, he'd walked that path and it did him no favors. Ander was a kind man, and looking out for his siblings. More than that, he had the sense and decency to request some privacy in this discussion.

After a pregnant pause, Ben took a deep breath and spoke up, "I had no idea that Jo knew any real magic. I know she'd been practicing Weaving with her bow, but that's inconsistent at best. What did she even do?" Benito thought on it a moment. "Nevermind, it doesn't matter. We'll have to speak with my step-mother, but first I need to have my private discussion with my father. Please, keep this to yourself for now, until we can speak with Sidwae - together."

Ander looked a bit frightened for a moment, but he recognised that Benito would need him by his side in this confrontation if he was ever going to understand what he had sensed. He brought his face back to a gentle smile, trying to assure his new friend. He patted Ben on the shoulder and nodded his head, "It is no one else's business, and I'm absolutely here for ya if ya need me."

Benito nodded back, "One thing at a time. Tomorrow's the funeral. Would you go around to the others, make sure to remind them. Speak with one of the servants if anyone needs anything. If you have any trouble, Sidwae will get it sorted; the funeral is important enough that she'll understand. Oh, yeah... The others will probably be interested to hear that they found rose petals under several of the beds. If you could share that news."

Ben moved to the door and opened it, leaving Ander alone in his sparse room. The weapon rack on the wall covered by the now open door. Benito turned down the hall and knocked on the study door. "Father, it's me. It sounds like there's much to discuss." He tried the handle without waiting for a response.

Catelyn shook her head, not entirely sure what to think about the new knowledge her and her companions had obtained. I suppose that all tales are born from fact. Regardless of how this story came to exist, someone started telling it for a reason. She looked over to Virra and shook her head. "No, I am afraid that there is nothing else that I can think to ask." Catelyn smiled to Ethes and passed him her drink that she had hardly touched. She stood and bowed to him. "Thank you so much for your wisdom, Ethes." She straightened up and looked to him with a knowing look. "I have no illusions that you'll be keeping this story to yourself, but would it be possible to convince you to wait before spreading the tale? After all, what kind of story teller tells a tale with no ending?" She smiled to him. "You have my word as one of the Lord on the Rack's chosen that I will tell you the details in full if I haven't heard a peep about strange creatures slaying the nobles. Does that sound agreeable to you?"

While awaiting a response from Ethes, Catelyn jumped as she heard a voice in her head once again before looking down at Virra with a sheepish grin. "Gods, that's going to take some getting used to. No, the order of Ilmater bears no ill will towards proper footwear, but I encountered someone more in need of my boots than I. She glanced down at her now well worn feet before looking away, somewhat embarrassed at her own weakness in being unable to refuse the offer. "I am alright as I am now... but if it would be beneficial to your cobbling skills I could hardly say no."

The De'Porthca Manor | Study:

Entering into the study, the pitter patter of rain could be heard against the windows as Anthol sat at his desk. He glanced up hearing Ben's voice and entry, setting aside some paperwork with a tired smile, "Oh...? It seems you have some things on your mind, Ben."

Anthol rubbed his face for a moment before sighing, "I just hope we have a peaceful night so we can properly deal with tomorrow..."

"I suppose tonight will tell the measure of our enemy - in war even bitter enemies allow each other time to bury their dead and pay their respects." Benito sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "But that does not stop the leaders from plotting their next assault. There are many things we need to discuss and it seems the longer that I am away the longer the list grows."

Benito shut the door and locked it. "I heard the Accmours came with something that might help. They found rose petals under the mattresses. Master Enol showed me a scroll. It had the name Lestone on it, but he said that was a discussion for you and I to have and refused to speak of it further." Benito crossed the room and pulled out a chair from the desk, taking a seat. "What do you know? Are they connected to this debt we owe to the Sea?"

Anthol nodded as Ben spoke, reaching for a small box on his desk, opening it to reveal a few necklaces with pendants. "Master Enol himself even sent a letter with them ... supposedly these shall give sanctuary and water will be as easy to breathe as air, though no promises it will be as pleasant." He shuddered for a moment at the thought as he closed the box once more. "I intend to hand them out when we gather for dinner in a few hours ..." Anthol's words dropped off as Ben continued speaking, he frowned as the scroll was mentioned, along with the name Lestone.

Leaning back in his chair Anthol sighed once more, "Enol showed the scroll ... I see. I suppose now that Cyne is no longer -- and Robern is too young still." He shook his head, "That scroll was an agreement between the families and Lestone, generations ago, when Porthca was still growing, but the waters didn't seem intent to be kind to us." Grunting as he stood, Anthol moved to a shelf and instead of reaching his hand into the shelf where the books were placed, he reached into a solid section of the shelving, pulling out an old aged tome, thick with pages and heavy leather binding. Gently he placed it on the desk as he seated himself once more, keeping a hand on the cover as he looked over the desk towards Ben with an expression Ben would recognize as one his father wore when striking deals, trying to read the intent of the person across from him.

Tapping the book gently, Anthol still kept his hand on it as he spoke, eyes fixed on Ben's, "We've never claimed the De'Porthca's were perfect angels ... but our ancestors did not want to lose this place, what it was at the time and what it could be." He glanced down at the book, "So we brokered a deal along with the other three families ... with a man named Lestone." Anthol paused, "This is a story passed down through the De'Porthca line -- if I'm to tell you, that means you will be the next family head after I'm gone. It's not a tale to be shared carelessly, and I already told it to one son ... I did not expect to have to tell it twice."

Ander steps into the library to find stacks of books covering the floor, and his new Half-Orc friend sitting in the middle of the piles. He comes up behind her and places his hand on her back, saying, "Hey, Eliza, how's the readin' comin'? A few of our group are back, and I think the others should be back around shortly, so I thought I'd come see if ya wanna join us?" He smiles, and suddenly appears to have a thought. "Oh, also, Ben said somethin' 'bout rose petals underneath the beds last night. I thought that might ring a bell with ya."

"Fine. If that is the cost of answers. If that is what it will take to avenge Cyne and save Robern and Joanne..."

His scarred hands rubbed the faint scar on his arm. A price much less than I am willing to pay, though I would gladly give Robern the post - even at his young age he's far more deserving and devoted to it than I.

Benito let out a heavy sigh, "So be it. A small price to pay for their lives."

I wonder what odds the bookies would place on this. The safe bet is that I fuck up and disgrace myself or my family... They'd probably be more interested in betting on how long it takes or how I besmirch the good name of the De'Porthcas.

Tyrius stayed quiet as Sidwae shouted at the two guards stood outside a room while he thought. *'So, Rose petals were placed inside the rooms. Placed. Someone had to have put them there.'*

At Ben's suggestion, Tyrius nodded "Think I'll go check on Lizzy." answered Tyrius, before walking away to give Ander and Ben the privacy they desired. 'Madame Sidwae looked furious, who could blame her after finding out that she'd been targeted by an enchantment. That wasn't just a spell done in a moment, that would've taken planning. Knowing the spell, knowing the components needed, finding out where in the house everyone slept, placing the rose petals so as to avoid them being disturbed.' Tyrius thought as he wandered the corridors, for the moment lost in his own thoughts, 'Eh, I should find Lizzy, she intended to go to the library, I hope her search was fruitful.' Catching the eye of a passing servant, Tyrius said, "Erm, excuse me, could you show me where the library is?"

The De'Porthca Manor | Library:

Bowing towards Lord Tyrius the servant easily leads him towards the library, opening the door to see both Eliza and Ander. Bowing once more the servant began cleaning up some of the cups and plates from Eliza's snacks while researching before leaving the three to their conversations.

A rumble echoed through the air as Anthol stood for a moment, retrieving the wine Ben had brought back with him. Setting two glasses on the desk, Anthol poured the wine then seated himself once more, smiling faintly, "It will be a long story, and my throat will need the help."

Sipping from the glass he frowned, "I am sorry Ben, I don't mean for this to be some sort of punishment, but this is something important for the family. I know you've had mixed feelings about it over the years, but ... legacy and history are things that weigh on us now and into the future, whatever that might be." Placing his glass on the desk he reached for the tome, gently picking it up to hold in his lap. "The first head of the De'Porthca family wrote this, speaking of their hopes for what, at the time, their small cove could someday be -- a beacon along the coast, a place where all trade would move through." Anthol chuckled softly, "Even though ... he was basically a pirate and smuggler at his roots."

He gestured around the room towards some of the scrolls and notebooks, ledgers and so on, "I imagine you've probably dug into a few of these, or even the library speaks of our interesting origins compared to the other families." Placing his hand once more on the book he opened it to a few pages, turning them gently, "At first when Porthca was a small spot along the shore, according to him, the sea almost seemed to ... encourage things. The waters were always friendly, storms tended to avoid this place, it allowed things to build up, but at some point, after the Defallians joined, the Tahyrsts help build the infrastructure, and the Accmours brought their wealth and magic ... the sea turned vicious. Waves would crash against the shores, pulling people into the depths, even hardened sailors who could outswim fish were lost. Ships that left the harbor, some could barely get a distance away before finding themselves smashed against the rocks."

Flipping a few more pages, Anthol took another sip of wine before turning to show the book to Ben, a drawn image of a woman holding a ship in her hand, crushed above the waters. "Everyone started calling the sea the Sea -- with a capital, like it wasn't a thing anymore, it was ... a personality. Something that was displeased. Of course, the sailors had always referred to it as such, superstitious as they are, out on the waters ... but that idea had taken root in Porthca as well."

"The families weren't happy about it, especially the De'Porthca head at the time -- people were leaving out of fear, and the idea of what Porthca could be was fading quickly. That was when Lestone arrived." Anthol turned another few pages and held them up to show Ben a male figure -- dressed how most books described pirates, yet across his skin that was visible were many markings and symbols that looked runic. "He claimed he'd have a way to solve all the problems Porthca was having with the Sea, if we signed an agreement with him. The scroll the Accmours have, the original contract." He shook his head, "The families agreed to his terms ... they felt they had no choice. He wanted a claim to the growing town as well, his own piece of the land for his aid."

Taking a sip of the wine Anthol continued, "On a particularly stormy night, Lestone and the head of each family went to the shore with him -- part of what he said he had to do to calm it. According to this book, they thought they might die being so close to the raging waters as they thrashed onto the shore, and yet, as the man approached, things calmed. The storm still raged, but the waters were as smooth as glass." Turning a few pages, Anthol lifted it to read, "'To see the waters so calmed disturbed us, for not moments before it had raged and roared. Yet this strange man, this Lestone, walked to the waters almost as if he were walking towards a lover. We stood to the side unsure what might be before us, this fellow who appeared when we needed him. His boots stood upon the water like ground as he spoke in a strange tongue to our ears. He turned to us, his eyes aglow, the runes across him blinding to look at, and spoke: "I expect my claim be honored."'"

Turning another page Anthol coughed lightly, "It continues, 'With those words, a wave swept from the waters and he disappeared before us. We kept watch on the shores and at sea, even along the coast, yet never saw him again. Between the four of us, we decided to keep the contract -- out of fear what might happen. Once he disappeared ... the sea has been kind to us. Storms avoid us once more, and trade moves easily.'" He glanced upwards to Ben, "All the families are bound to a contract signed with Lestone ... yet none of us have any idea who or what he even was. This was done generations ago, even with the Tahysts. We've kept the page as safe as we can ... but even with the Accmours attempting to research over the years, they eventually gave up." Closing the book he placed it back onto the desk as he took the wine glass in both hands, his eyes closed.

"I do not know if that's the 'answer' you truly seek or need, Ben, but that is what I have to offer. It's not to be shared casually for fear someone might destroy the contract and whatever peace we have claimed here. Were the Sea to rage once more ... so many lives would be lost."

Benito sat in the chair focused on what his father said, occasionally sipping his wine. "Well it seems I've wasted a day, glad Master Accmour could be so forthcoming with useful and relevant information. He led me to believe the Accmours were the last to join the city and the contract was for their 'benefactor'. Though if those amulets work he's more than made up for any miscommunication we had."

Ben thought back to the contract he'd seen. It divided the land in and around Porthca at the time of the contract between the five families. To the De'Porthcas it gave the harbor and the land adjacent for the building of warehouses, docks, and taverns like the Tuckered Kraken. The Defallians received a large portion of the market and some of the surrounding fertile lands. The Tahyrsts received much of the residential areas of Porthca. The Accmours had received small enclaves in each of the other territories the largest being the site of Aeward House near the Accmour Manor. And finally the coast beyond the harbor, given to Lestone - a name Ben now recognized as that of a man or a monster, and not a family.

"What if the contract were broken? What if the debt is that the territory of one family has encroached on that of another or even just encroached on the Sea itself?" Benito reached into his jacket and retrieved the map from the scroll case he'd received from Urin. He was glad that he'd listened to Kecei about the storm and requested something to secure the map as he rolled it out onto the table. He picked up some pictures and ledgers, placing them along the edges to hold the map down and prevent curling. He looked over the map, "What about here? These new warehouses in the bay? They're far enough out they'd need to be built on stilts, and the piers to reach them too. Wouldn't this be Lestone's 'land'... er... 'sea'... territory?"

Benito looked up to his father, a grave look of realization on his face, "These are ours, aren't they? When were they finished? Do we have a ledger or document to tell us?"

Walking into the library alongside the servant, Tyrius gave both Ander and Eliza a smile, "Ah, I didn't realised I'd been wandering so long," Tyrius said at seeing Ander having reached the library before him, "Sorry, sometimes I get lost in my thoughts and lose track of time." Turning to Eliza, Tyrius asked, "Anything interesting come from out of your research?"

Anthol chuckled tiredly, "Master Enol ... doesn't always follow conversations very well. Magic is his field of expertise, and if he could I imagine he'd rather only discuss spells."

Watching as Ben spread out the map, Anthol leaned forward, careful to keep the wine from spilling onto the map as he listened. "A debt of land ...? By now so much of the actual land has been split and sold within Porthca, the contract would have been broken ages ago, but perhaps if it truly is that we've spread into other territory... into Lestone's 'territory'."

Anthol thought for a moment, "They belong to us yes, though they're also available to the other families for use." Placing his wine glass on the side of the desk he stood and moved to go through a few ledgers wedged into shelves in the room, finally grabbing one to flip through. "Construction finished a few months ago, while the waters were still in their calmer season to prevent any damage while they were being worked on."

"How many months; five, six? Didn't Master Thakar die five months back, that was - as far as I know - when this all started." Benito's head spun with the idea that this might actually be the spark that caused the fire. He tried to focus, "Lets state what we know. I think we might be onto something."

"First, our ancestors created a smuggler's cove. The sea was kind and they prospered but had lofty ambitions for a more legitimate claim to the land."
"The other families followed: Defallians who farmed and fished and had a connection to nature, Tahyrsts who built and crafted and planned the city, Accmours and their Elf who established banks in exchange for magic items to study."
"The Seas grew angry and the city suffered until Lestone came along. In exchange for claim to the coast, and under magical contract drawn up by the Accmours, Lestone calmed the sea and disappeared."
"Things went well for the city, it prospered, and the families traded their territory among themselves."
"Recently the harbor has expanded beyond the area laid out in the contract into the coastal waters. Was there an attempt to parley with the Sea or contact Lestone? I'd guess not, but we should be sure. If Lestone did not concede the territory, this would be a breach of the contract, no matter how old it may be."
"Around the time of the warehouse's completion Thakar is drown in his bed, three months ago Gilmarie is murdered again by drowning, last month Aennad same thing, finally last week Cyne, drown at his desk in the middle of the night. Last night that creature tried to do the same to Robern - and possibly Joane too."

Benito sighed, "But this leaves questions, who else knew of the contract that they might try to enforce it to hide their true motive? Who is powerful enough to summon that creature who attacked last night? Why try to kill both twins when previously there'd been only one victim?"

He paused and dwelled on Joane and what Ander and Urin had said. There were so many possibilities. "Urin mentioned Robern and Joane's connection as twins, perhaps they were meant to die together for sharing a birthday." Ben shook his head the pieces of the puzzle were getting jumbled again, he needed more answers, "Are you aware that Joane possesses magic? Not like myself or like Tyrius, but something different, the holy man recognized it and said it lingers about Sidwae as well. Could that have something to do with it?"

The Tuckered Kraken Cabin:

Ethes took a long drink from his tankard before replying to Cate with a long sigh, "For you lass ... I'll wait. Though th'story could likely buy me many dinners!" He laughed before shaking his head, "Aye, best to have a finale ... 'course could always make one up." Smirking he shrugged, turning back to his drink before hearing the rumble of thunder outside. "Ah ... storm's rolled in. Think I'll keep to the warm for now, docks don't need another drowned rat, runnin' across 'em."

As the trio exited the Cabin, a downpour greeted them, encouraging quick movement as they ran back towards the Manor of the De'Porthcas, arriving drenched and soaking.

The De'Porthca Manor | First Floor:

A cluster of servants approached the three, offering towels and dry clothes to change into, a few casting curious glances at the lack of shoes on Cate's feet. One of them explained, "Dinner shall be shortly, if you'd care to join. With the storm, our chefs are putting together a hearty stew with fresh baked bread."

Sidwae appeared finished discussing her displeasure with the extra guards as Robern and Joane exited the music room, catching sight of Winston, Cate, and Virra. Joane waved quickly to the three as they were guided up the stairs to prepare for dinner as well. Glancing over to the movement by the front door, Madame Sidwae approached, frowning at all the water pooling on the marble floor. "A sturdy roof can only do so much it seems when people bring the water in with them," she commented as the servants continued their work.

Anthol listened as Ben spoke, seeming to be chasing a thread of thought, "If there was an attempt to parley, I have no idea nor how it would even be done. None of us have ever really heard of others being able to commune with the waters." Standing, he looked over the map as well with a focused expression before shaking his head at Ben's continued questions.

"The families keep the contract quiet, we never wanted to risk it ... though I suppose it's irrelevant now -- risk it being destroyed or broken. Old magic gets finicky, or so the Accmours have always said." Swirling the wine in his glass he took another sip, "I'm still unsure what the creature even was that you described ..."

As the conversation shifted to Joane and Sidwae, a complicated expression moved across Anthol's face. He took a longer drink from the wineglass before responding, "It appears my daughter does not share everything with her father ... Did he explain anything more specifically?"

Benito shook his head, "No, Ander didn't understand any more than what he shared with me, and now I with you." He took a sip of his wine, "I'm worried about Joane and Robern, about their safety and finding out that Jo has some kind of magic, that Sidwae might be hiding something... I'm asking you before I confront your wife, father. I am trying my best to get along and be a part of the family, but when it comes to my sister's safety, that's where I draw the line."

Benito finished his wine, "If you have anything to share, please do it now." He sat back down from where he had stood over the map. Benito did not want to intimidate or threaten his father, he wanted to implore him, for the sake of his family.

A small voice in the back of Benito's mind whispered, Come now Bloody Ben, how can you possibly be a part of the family when they keep secrets from you. Cyne probably knew, your father knows something. Never have been a part of this family since your mother died. You don't really expect that to change now, do you? Ben sighed, for all the guilt he held onto about what he'd done, all the mistake, he still felt in the darkest parts of his mind that he was cast out; forced over and over into situations, opportunities to fail. Forgotten, discarded. He cared about his sister, but did they really care about him, or was it just convenient to have him take Cyne's place because Cyne had died? Why had it taken the death of his brother to have not one but two conversations with his father without that woman hovering about?

Benito tried to calm himself. He looked at Anthol, "Please." His voice came out weak, a plea... the answer didn't matter, not really. At the end of the day no matter what had been done, whatever the reason or affliction, Ben would die to save Joane - she reminded him so much of his mother. Beyond that, Ben just wanted to be part of the family, to stop existing outside it.

Virra's excitement at having a new pet project was soon extinguished, quite literally, by the arrival of the storm that had been threatening to break all afternoon. She couldn't match Cate or Wiston for speed, but she managed to keep up what she felt was a respectable sprint all the same. And for the times when her speed lagged or she grew short of breath, the armoured human made a passable cover against the elements.

By the time they reached the manor, however, she realised she shouldn't have bothered with the effort. "Cheers," she murmured to the servant passing her a heap of towels and spare clothes. "Guess this is the price you pay for that nice sea breeze."

The rest of her many colourful comments on the weather quickly died as Madame Sidwae appeared. Vaguely conscious of the need to look more presentable, Virra swept her sodden hair back before speaking. "Sorry about that, Madame, it was unavoidable. We'll all get, um, thoroughly decontaminated before joining you for dinner." Again there was that urge to sound more professional in her presence; Virra wondered how long she could keep it up. "Do you know where Benito might be? We uncovered something that he'll be interested in hearing."

Catelyn was breathing rather heavily by the time she arrived at the doors of the manor, not used to having to move so quickly in the rain. She paused before accepting a towel from a servant with a smile. "Thank you. I appreciate the offer of clothing, but I have some dry clothing with me in my pack. Dinner sounds absolutely lovely."

She paused as she saw the lady of the house approaching and gave her a low bow with her clenched fist to her chest. "I am so sorry for the mess, Madame. I am Catelyn Pryce, Adorned priestess of our Lord on the Rack, Ilmater. I am a friend of Benito, and I have also been tasked to assist your family in its current crisis by the Crying God himself. You have my word that I will do everything in my power to end this threat to your loved ones."

Anthol stood silently for a long moment, swirling his wine before finishing it off as well. Setting his glass down he sat hard in his seat behind the desk, looking at Ben over the top of everything, the map with its books and ledgers holding down the corners. Finally he reached once more for the book he'd read from earlier, flipping a few pages idly, "When your mother died ... all those years ago, I was a mess. Will not deny that, nor try to sugarcoat the fact. I left my two sons to try and deal with my absence on their own, in a manor that was suddenly too quiet." More pages, "Cyne buried himself into the family business, trying to grasp the reins I had thrown to the air, and you ... the taverns called you, with their drink and games of chance. Everyone wanted to escape this place ... this building that was no longer a home."

Looking over the desk towards Anthol, Ben would see his father, worn down as he was all those years ago as if it had hardly been a day, while he continued to turn pages in the small book. "I went to the harbor. I went to the coast, and I walked the shore. Up and down, back and forth ... I thought ... I don't know what I thought truly anymore. Perhaps that the sea might take me, as it had so many others, so I might return to Elean's side, where ever that was." He chuckled softly, "We've never been believers of much beyond the strength of a breeze and the craftsmanship of a ship, but I was desperate." A pause in the pages, "I heard a song."

His eyes closed, Anthol took a deep breath before releasing it, "It was a song that seemed to speak on all the emotions I could not express, the words I wished to say but could not manage, the thoughts I could not piece together ... and it echoed across the shore to me." Anthol's eyes opened as he looked towards Ben, "I never really told you how I met Sidwae did I ... you two clashed so strongly, I never got further than trying to prevent a small war within the manor. Yet that was when I first saw her ... I thought her a ghost or a spirit, but I was not far off."

Holding the book up and flipping it to show Ben was a picture of a beautiful woman, however her features seemed somehow aquatic -- not quite human. The drawing was surrounded by musical notes as the woman appeared to be singing, before Anthol closed the book and leaned on the desk, meeting Ben's gaze with perhaps a force that Ben might not expect. "I said before ... there is more to her than might be expected. From what your friend Ander learned ... Joane might have inherited more than I realized." Anthol seemed to be searching Ben's expression, "I dislike secrets ... I really do, Ben. I only keep the ones I'm bound to for the family's sake, or ones that I hope will keep the family from being attacked by those who don't understand."

Madame Sidwae glanced down at Virra for a moment, before her attention was caught by Cate's words. She bowed slightly herself, "The De'Porthca Manor is honored to host a priestess for the evening, especially of Ilmater." She glanced between the trio before continuing, "Ben has apparently gathered quite the force for his task." Turning slightly she glanced up stairs, "I believe he went to speak with Anthol in the study, however that is a room meant for private discussions."

She looked down towards Virra again, "Not a place to stand outside the door and try to listen in." Crossing her arms Sidwae began to move up the stairs, "Regardless, I expect I'll be seeing all three of you at dinner shortly. Do not be afraid to ask for shoes, Priestess, we have many."

Catelyn glanced down at her feet which had long since been rubbed raw by the coarse cobblestone of the city streets. She snuck a peak behind herself to see that her footsteps were mixed red at this point and chuckled embarrassedly. “For the sake of your floors, I believe I may have to take you up on that offer, Madame.”

Catelyn glanced around at the servants nearby, not wanting to order them around, but powerless to take a step and create more of a mess for them to clean up. “Er... pardon me, but might someone fetch me a pair of sandals? Also, is there a room in which I could get changed? I imagine that it would be rather improper to do it here.”

Benito poured himself another glass of wine. "How... could this be home when it was so cold and empty," he remarked, mostly to himself. He took a drink and thought to himself for a moment. It was a lot to process as he thought over the myths and legends he'd heard as he was 'called to the taverns with their drinks and games of chance.'

He set the glass down and wrapped his arms around himself for a moment, If he'd payed attention after mother died, he'd know drinking was never my problem. I enjoy a fine drink as much as the next, but rarely in excess and often less than the average man with paltry troubles. It was upsetting to think his father thought him a drunkard. The reputation suited him well when he gambled to be sure, but no alcohol in the world could dull the pain of his loss, not like cheating 'fate' or the right company.

Benito forced his mind back to the legends, the drawing appeared to be a siren, songstress of the sea. There was so much conflict in their tales, some out for blood - singing to lure men in then dragging them down to their death in the cold black depths beyond the reach of even the best swimmers. Others, he'd heard, would sing ships safely into harbor, save them when a signal flame failed or a storm got a ship lost at sea; some sailors believed they were good luck. Ben could not decide which category to place Sidwae into. She had obviously sung her song and brought Anthol safely home, she guided his path and made his days brighter than they were, but she had also left Ben to the depths, better he died in the darkness, cold and alone to fade into obscurity and stop marring the good De'Porthca name.

Ben smiled at his father, his eyes full of many hurts: the realization of his father's opinion of him, the pain of Sidwae's strained relationship, concern for Joane. "I am glad that her song brought you back home." Benito had so much more to say but not the words to express it. He needed to speak with Sidwae. He looked to the book in Anthol's hands, "Do you think I could have a look at that some time? Aside from the ledgers, it's likely the only book in this house I haven't read." Would that do? Was he being a better son? Ben didn't know, but he hoped it was enough.

A servant paused in trying to dry off Cate, looking down at her bloody feet with a frown. The woman shook her head, "If I may, Priestess, before you put on any shoes, we should bandage your feet. It would not do to merely injure yourself further." She thought for a moment, before pulling off her own shoes, "Here, at least so you can move through the Manor, I can lead you to one of the bathing rooms without potentially irritating Madame Sidwae further. Marble flooring can be cleaned, the rugs not so easily."

After a moment Anthol leaned back into his seat with a sigh, "Sidwae brought me back as a whole ... without her, I potentially wouldn't even be here." He shook his head before placing the book back on the desk, "You can read it, I will show you how to retrieve it and hide it, but I request it not leave this room. Of all the heirlooms we might have, this is by far the most important. To lose it would be to lose quite a bit of our family history and history of Porthca itself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back