Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yeah..." Bentio mumbled, "her family." He shook his head and stood, taking Ander's hand. "I trust you to keep it. I'll let you know if this becomes a concern beyond that I've been lied to and kept in the dark so long." He let go of the holy man's hand and walked around the table toward the door before turning back, "I wonder if she could speak with the sea." He shrugged and unlocked the door. "Virra's staying in that one." He pointed to her door. "If we're going to catch an attack though, you'll probably need to be in the twins' room." He pointed at another door, a few down from Virra's

The De'Porthca Manor | Benito's Room:

Anthol nodded towards Cate before finally rising from the bed with one last look towards the twins who were still trying to get comfortable, "I hope rest will come, but it will be a long night regardless. Your protection is appreciated, Pri-- Cate." He smiled as he moved to the door, "If anything happens ... you know our room is just down the hall." With a last nod towards Tanelye he exited the room, letting the door close softly behind him.

As the door shut, Tanelye began laying out bedrolls on the floor, given how sparse the room was, there wasn't much else for furniture to lay on. "One is for you, Miss Cate, and one for me. I've been asked to stay and watch over them as well." She spoke softly as the twins it seemed had started to fall asleep, and with a grin flexed her arm, "May not be too strong, but I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve." Snapping her fingers, an ornate bow popped into existence next to her, hovering in the air, with an arrow ready to fire.

The De'Porthca Manor | Study:

While the two men were standing in the study's doorway, Sidwae could be seen approaching, now wearing her own nightgown and slippers as she moved through the home, the faint lights along the hallway allowing the pair to see the delicate details in her silken gown. As with most outfits the family wore, deep blues were the main focus, with lighter blues mixed in as accents. She bowed slightly towards Ander, "Hello again so soon. Anthol informed me I was apparently requested to the Study." Her hands were clasped before her as she looked at Ben, "Is that still relevant or have matters been dealt with?"

"Excuse me ma'am, I bid you goodnight." Ander bowed and squeezed past Sidwae in the hall. He made is way to Virra's door and knocked gently, not wanting to disturb anyone as the night continued on.

Benito put on his best smile, "We still need to talk, please. Come in, have a seat." He moved to allow her space to enter before once again shutting and locking the door and placing himself in his fathers chair behind the desk again. "We've..." He stopped and thought for a moment. "never really been on the same page. There's a lot of that which is my fault, though I think it's fair to say you didn't make things any easier for me." Ben rubbed his temples, he was tired and this was a lot to do in a day. He was so sick of being diplomatic, he just wanted to get back to Azarad where he could go out to the range and just shoot targets. Get away from the stress and pressure and fade into the background. To the nine hells with it. "I know you're a siren." Well, that was easy. Now walk it back, don't go overboard. "Joane is starting to exhibit some of the signs of her heritage. She shared one of her gifts with Ander, the Paladin of Lathander, who brought it to my attention, so I asked my father and he explained how you met." He let out a heavy sigh, could be worse, just keep going. "I've asked him to keep it to himself, and he's agreed to keep mum. I trust him on his word as a Man of Light, and you'll have to do the same."

Ben looked at the woman, studying her, "Your family is in danger Sidwae. Our family, is in danger. I'm doing my best to piece it together. I believe it has something to do with an old deal between the nobles, a man named Lestone, and the Sea. If there's anything you know, anything that might help. You need to trust me and start sharing or your husband and son are going to die."

Madame Sidwae stepped into the study, following Ben as he placed himself behind the desk while she sat delicately in the seat opposite. She waited until Ben had finished and studied him as well for a moment before speaking. "If you're going to be leading the family and its business ventures, you're going to have to learn to be more delicate with how you approach things, Benito." Sidwae's eyes narrowed as she leaned forward, "All the nights I spoke with Anthol, he told me of his two sons, sons he was sure I'd love to meet. Cyne who was apparently as fond of the sea and the ships upon her as any De'Porthca had been, taking to studying as a ship through calm waters. Then there was Benito, the archery prodigy, the one who brought another kind of honor to the family, one of skill and dedication to a craft."

Sitting back she continued, "How disappointed I was to finally meet you ... and to understand I'd never replace what you had lost. When we met, I tried to make things more pleasant, however you resisted, and perhaps in your drunken stupor it merely set even more deeply how little I was similar to your lost Elean."

Sidwae paused, crossing her arms across her chest as she looked across the desk at Ben, "When it comes to Joane ... Anthol and I spoke of how things might be, we weren't even sure I could have children with him." She smiled faintly as she closed her eyes for a moment, "The twins ... " shaking her head she opened her eyes again. "If Joane has inherited abilities from me, then I will need to speak to her, as well as Robern. I doubt he has inherited anything, but I'd rather be sure, and Joane ... has often asked to go to Azarad as you have, yet I worry what mages would do if they realized her magical origins."

Reaching down to her chest Sidwae lifted the small charmed necklace from the Accmours as she studied it, "Anthol mentioned your theory earlier, however ... whatever you may think of me and what I am, I am not old enough to know of the Sea and all her bargains." Her hand squeezed the charm, "If that creature attempts to attack us again, my children and my husband, it will not do so easily." For a moment, Ben could see a strange shift in her form -- her eyes went from a dark green to a pale yellow, faint outlines of scales traced along her skin, her hair instead of the thick brown hair appeared to be fins layered on each other. However as soon as it came, it was gone, and the woman Ben knew as Sidwae was sitting before him again.

"The Sea has her moods, and though she was once considered my own mother, I will not tolerate her attempting to take what is mine." Sidwae dropped the charm out of her hands and turned her head towards Ben, "Is there more or may I return to my husband. Tomorrow shall be a long day, and this night will be spent on edge, every sound waking us in case it's another intrusion."

Catelyn smiled to the smaller gnomish woman and dropped her tone to match her whispers. "Thank you, I appreciate the accommodations." She walked over to collect her pack and dragged it over to the bed roll and paused as she noticed the floating bow. She stared at it for a moment before turning back to Tanelye. "I do appreciate the gesture, but if the children were ever to come under attack, I would ask that you go get help rather than try to face our opponent. I would rather not be putting more lives in danger than already are at risk. Besides, I am not certain that the enemy we are up against would be easily fooled by illusions." Catelyn paused before reaching into her pack and digging out her armor and beginning to don the heavy mail. "It's not especially comfortable, but I would rather be able to protect the twins for more than a single blow."

Benito fumed. He recalled when she'd come home, the moment of fog as she spoke to him, shaking it off and knowing that she'd crossed a line. It took almost a week for him to work up the nerve to speak with her after than, and she'd been cold and distant. From there it had all been down hill, unwelcome in his own home and lost without his mother, his father kept at arms length and his brother buried in the family business. It was all wrong, of course. For all his faults, Ben had wanted to be a part of a family again, but charming a child who lost their mother...

He took several deep breathes and closed his eyes. "No. We're not done yet." He stood and walked over, pouring two glasses of the wine he'd gotten for his father, frowning that the bottom was almost empty. "We're going to share a drink and work this out because I'm here to stay and I'm as much a part of this family as anyone else." He placed one in front of Sidwae and took one for himself. "I never needed you to replace my mother, the fact that you even thought you could... did you ever stop to think if you should? Do you understand... what I lost? What we all lost? Cyne and my father, your husband... " He took a sip of the wine. "How you feel now, how protective you are of everyone else in the family. Imagine if you failed; if we hadn't saved Robern last night or if you'd woken next to my father's cold body, lungs full of sea water, the only words on his tongue a warning about The Sea and its Debts. That's what I lost. That's why my father was distraught, why he didn't plan to come back from the beach when you met him."

Benito removed his belt with his swords and quiver attached to it and tossed it to the side. "I never needed a replacement, I just wanted to belong; but your words they got into my head, clouded everything. It wasn't right. You can't just charm a child into loving you. I'm not and have never been a drunkard, I resisted because you wanted to take from me the one thing that I had left of my mother: my grief. I wasn't ready to let her go, and I clung to that so hard and your twisted words fell on deaf ears and you've taken everything from me like I was suppose to just give in and be charmed by the woman who wanted to replace my mother. And I don't know if it was out of spite or just how you are, but you've taken everything, absolutely everything else from me." He set the wine glass down, this wasn't a time to be drinking, just another 'drunken Ben' episode. "My father didn't have time for me once you came home. My father's absence pushed my brother to take over the business and he disappeared, no time for Benito. You make me feel unwelcome in my own home! I'm a part of this family too Sid! I'm here too!"

Ben started to cry. He collapsed into the chair and tried desperately to collect himself. "I don't want a replacement mother, I just wanted someone to care. Why couldn't you care?" He gasped for breath between sobs. "Why couldn't you care?" Finally collecting himself, he rubbed the tears from his eyes. "We're done now. Go be with your family."

The knock at Virra's door, so soon after returning from the study, came as a pleasant surprise. The gnome was on her feet and opening the door to greet him within seconds.

"Hey!" she said, clearly less concerned than Ander about how late it was. She left the door open and began to sweep things off her bed - scissors, thread, scraps of leather, and other oddities she'd picked out of the basic kit that Isotharic had sold her. Or sold Ben. Once she was done, she sat herself down and looked up at the paladin with a cheery smile.

"So, this is... the third time we've spoken? A bit last night, a bit at lunch, and now, here. But it still feels like we're strangers, doesn't it? So!" She crossed her legs and sat up straighter, clearing her throat for good measure. "I am Virra Hopalong Nickeltooth of Chilldrift. It is an absolute pleasure to meet you, Ander of the Morning Lord." A pause. "Or should that be 'of Lokil'? I'm not good enough with noble titles to make fun of them yet."

Tanelye's smile faded as the bow did, "Oh ... so you saw through it." The small woman moved to Cate to try and help with her armor, "Still, it works pretty well if someone tries something while I'm out with Lady Joane or Lord Robern."

Sidwae had held the poured wineglass in her lap while Ben spoke, her eyes following him as he moved, but silent. Outside the rain could still be heard, the occasional crack of thunder and a dim flash through the curtains while Sidwae began to hum. The hum didn't seem to be tied to her breathing, a tune that carried through the room, soft and melancholy, yet somehow the storm outside became part of it. As she hummed she ran a finger along the wineglass before finally letting the song fade away. Looking around the room, Ben would have seen the study fade away -- instead it seemed like he had found himself underwater, light flickering into the depths, various fish swimming past, and looking at Sidwae herself, her form once again was not of the human woman she typically appeared. Her yellow eyes rested on Ben, her clothing still remained, the dark blue nightgown, however on her hands were fins, her skin covered in iridescent scales that faintly shimmered.

"Benito ..." her voice had a faint echo to it now, a softer sound as she stood and placed the wineglass on the desk. Moving around the desk she knelt next to Ben in his seat, and tried to guide his face to look at her, her hands feeling cold on his skin. "I did not know much of the land, I was scared. Though I tried to tell myself I would pretend to be human, to be with Anthol, I fell back on old habits. I cannot expect forgiveness at this point, we have each drawn our lines." She wiped an errant tear from his face with her thumb, "...I have learned much from raising Robern and Joane, yet I cannot correct the past. I stayed with Anthol to keep him from still returning to the beach, even with me here, he mourned Elean."

Sidwae frowned as she looked into Ben's eyes, a strange mismatch between her beautiful face and the marine-like eyes gazing at him, "Perhaps ... some of my own nature made me jealous of a woman who seemed to be held in such high regard, who claimed such love and devotion. A home that resonated with the presence of a woman no longer living. I was being compared to her at every moment ... and I could not match such expectations regardless of my efforts. I did not intend to become the 'Cold Madame De'Porthca' -- I spoke to a servant without realizing what I'd said, having arrived to a place with standards that I didn't even fully understand, and suddenly expectations were set. Along with the fear that I might be discovered, even for all Anthol tried to deflect. A fake family line, a false scandal to draw attention elsewhere," she smiled faintly, "apparently a lineage of smugglers still is useful even now."

Slowly she stood, watching a school of fish move past the pair until she hummed once more and the illusion faded, Sidwae's form returning to the usual. "Cyne did not know ... but I imagine he guessed. You say I made you feel unwelcome ..." she looked at her hand, the scales and fins gone once more, "he always stayed indifferent to me. Polite in company, or with an audience, yet if we were the only two in a room, I would be considered the same as the dust on the ledgers. The twins, however, -- Robern especially -- he adored. Perhaps I took my frustration out on you Benito."

Moving back to the other side of the desk she lifted the wineglass, finally taking a sip before setting it down again. "You're here too, in your own home." She stood behind the chair, looking at Ben who was still trying to collect himself, bringing a hand to the charm around her neck she continued, "My family was the Sea and my sisters ... I gave them up to be with Anthol, to walk an unfamiliar land and tiptoe around the mages. I gave them up, unsure if the Sea would force me back, spending my days and nights, waiting to see if I'd hear a Song to pull me to the depths, even now, years later." Sidwae met Ben's gaze, "If this truly is a debt the Sea intends to collect ... know that she can be cruel." She smiled faintly again, "Perhaps even crueler than you consider me to be."

Ben looked around at the ocean which made little sense to him. His throat constricted slightly as he remembered the drowning sensation from the previous night. A mix of terror and sadness cutting through him. Only two things helped him keep in check, the desk not floating but sitting in front of him which told him he'd not moved, and Sidwae's cold but affectionate touch. His breath caught in his throat. With each blink, tears rolled down his face as he listened to the woman try to explain.

When she finally stopped, Ben wiped his eyes with his hands. The tears smeared across his skin accentuating the tiny white scars which glistened in the soft light of the room. "I... I didn't know." He began, "About Cyne. I'm sorry." He looked up at Sidwae, a confused mixture of pain and sympathy in his eyes. "I... think you're confused. Let me show you." He held out a hand, his palm up and fingers curled into a fist. "Family." He uncurled his fingers and a tiny marble sculpture sat in his hand for a moment before it crumbled to dust and was carried off on the wind. The sculpture was Anthol, flanked by Sidwae and Cyne with Robern in Cyne's arms and Joane in Sidwae's. "Even though I resented you for it, you've been a part of this family since you chose it. You belong here, with the twins, with my father." He took the wine, taking a sip, "The Sea's cruelty be damned, I'll not let an ancient debt take any more of my loved ones away." He forced himself to meet Sidwae's eyes, "I want to move forward. I want to belong. But I don't think there will be anything left for me to belong to if we don't work together." He choked down his anxiety, "I swear on my life and my mother's grave that I will not let the Sea take you from your," He shook his head, "No." Ben started again, "I swear on my life and my mother's grave that I will not let the Sea take you from our family."

He could not bring himself to smile as he asked, "Tell me, can you speak with the Sea?"

"The pleasure's all mine, Virra. I'm sorry it's been so hard to give pleasentries their due time, the mystery has been pullin' us apart as much as it has seemin'ly brought us together." Ander relaxes, still standing, but allowing himself to loosen his posture. "I've never cared for titles, makes folks think they're more important than they truly are," he whispered, not wanting to upset any of his hosts.

"I too would like to no longer be strangers, so I might as well tell you about myself. It's not a very good story, I was found as a youngin' by the guards from the Temple of Dawn, and they took me in when it became clear that my parents had been lost to a group of bandits in the woods of Lokil. Lathander became my life, and they even named me Ander as tribute. I grew, as you can clearly see," he gestures to his feet and up to his head, "and was thought to be a great candidate for a new guard."

He got a little more somber as he looked into the distance for a few moments, before snapping himself back to his usual happy mood. "What else would ya like ta know, Miss Nickeltooth?"

The comment about titles got a laugh so loud even Virra seemed surprised by it; she was forced to stifle it with her hand before it could wake the whole house up. The rest of what Ander had to say was equally entertaining, in a different way. Especially the part about the derivation of the name 'Ander'.

"Can't believe I didn't make the connection," she muttered, looking the man up and down. "Yeah, I can see what they were thinking. But the stuff you did last night..." She shuffled a little closer. "That wasn't regular guard stuff, was it? Where'd you learn to punch monsters in the face and have them feel it?"

She patted the spot next to her on the bed. "Come on, sit and talk. I'm getting a crick in my neck."

Ander sat on the floor in front of the bed, being about face to face with Virra in that position. As he sat, he pulled his sword off his back and placed it across his lap "Well, my power comes from Lathander, but I suppose I was taught to weild it by Roland. He was the one who found me, and he brought me up, along with the Sisters of the Dawn. He is... er... was the most failthful man I've ever known. He was known as Lathander's Champion." The sadness returns to his face. "We sparred three times a day for most of my life, and he wanted to make sure I'd be ok without a weapon as well."

Sidwae's fingers tapped the back of the chair, "Cyne reminded me of many captains I had seen sailing, eyes fixed forward, concerned only for the path their ship took through the waves. Any type of Song was ignored, for better or worse." She shook her head, "I could attempt to speak with her ... but I worry she may use that as a chance to call me back. These few years are nothing to her, my 'disappearance' merely a child out past curfew, yet calling to her might remind her I am gone, or bring my sisters' attention. I imagine some still resent me for leaving."

She looked to where the magical dust from the small sculpture had disappeared, "I will leave it to you if that's a route you want to attempt ... it will likely mean revealing myself to more people, something I would prefer not to do."

Virra was trying to think of a good way to bring up Ander's 'power' again without seeming too nosy, and it took her several seconds to notice the paladin's increasingly sorrowful expression. "Oh." She offered a sympathetic smile. "He sounds very impressive. I'm sure he'd be proud of what you showed off last night."

A few dots began to haphazardly connect in her mind. "I'm guessing it was Roland's death that brought you here, then," she said, gazing down at the sword laid across the man's lap. "Drowned, huh? I think I heard Ben talking about that." Well, what Ben had said was that 'some tragedy' had happened on Lokil and that Ander was in Porthca looking for a connection with the nobles' deaths. Virra suddenly realised she hadn't heard anything about it since yesterday evening. "How's that investigation coming along, then? You must be pretty busy."

Catelyn smiled encouragingly. "Don't get me wrong, it was a very good illusion, and I am sure it has been of great use. Still, when dealing with forces like this, it is best to utilize tried and true methods." Catelyn gave Tanelye an , approving nod as she received help putting on her armor. Quickly finishing putting on her armor, she knelt and dug around in her pack, removing three simple vials and checking them over. "Undead creatures come in all sorts of varieties, but they all share a common weakness to holy water. If for some reason you are unable to escape and we come under attack, throw a vial at the creature." Catelyn took a vial of holy water and placed it into the gnome's small hands before smiling to her. "Anyways, that is all that I believe I can manage for preparations. Moving on to more pleasant topics, how long have you been working for the De'Porthca family?"

"I'm actually not sure what happened ta him... I was in town with a group of sisters, and when I came home, I found the entire temple in ruins..." He looked away for a few moments. "I'm less certain now that I'm actually following the trail of that investigation, but I'm here now, and there are innocents here that I actually can protect..." he chokes down that final word, nearly crying, but not quite.

He stared down at his sword, pulling the blade out slightly. "Maybe some day I can return Dawnbreaker ta him, but fer now... I'm just gonna use it the way he would." He puts on a fake smile, though it is clear that he is lying to himself about having hope that Roland is still alive.

Benito let out a slight laugh at the subtle irony of Sidwae's view of Cyne as a captain with his eyes fixed forward after Anthol had commented on sailors looking back so much the crash upon the rocks. He came back around to the topic at hand, his eyes still red and aching slightly. "No, you're right it's not worth the risk. The twins need you far more than my friend and I do. We'll figure it out." He brought his hands to his head and rubbed his temples, "You just focus on Joane, take care of her, but think on what you recall of the Sea. Your experience is unique among everyone I've spoken to, you might know something no one else does."

Ben's thoughts drifted to his half sister and her dreams of attending Azarad, he did not find it humorous that his one true accomplishment was such a danger to her. Had he failed or dropped out, thrown in the towel... She wouldn't have such lofty ambitions. Could she still attend? What could mitigate the risk? Ben dug through his mind, recalling a first year student he'd met with somewhat unpredictable power. "There are sorcerers, or at least a sorcerer or two, whose power comes from the storm. They were very heavily associated with the sea. Maybe Joane could, in time, learn to harness a power like that and attend Azarad without drawing so much suspicion." Ben didn't really know, he just wanted to have a solution. It would break Joane's heart to hear she couldn't attend, that she'd have to hide who she is - forever.

A heavy sigh followed his thoughts, he looked once more at Sidwae, "I'm done running from my responsibilities and I'm sorry that we've both been so misunderstood. I hope that I can do better." He stood, finishing the little bit of wine left in his glass before he came around the desk and gave Sidwae a hug. "I'm going to try." He whispered, trying not to cry.

"...Right." Virra felt a brief sting of guilt, though she didn't know why. Seeing Ander smile, she gave him her best in return. "Well, you're doing a good job. I don't think I said thank you for going after Eliza earlier, but... thanks. Even though nothing happened, it was good of you to do. Freed the rest of us up to go wandering around the docks looking for information Ben would find out anyway."

Pushing herself off the bed with her hands, she came around to Ander's shoulder. "Dawnbreaker, huh? That's a good sword," she said like someone who would know. "And an even better name, actually. I'm still trying to come up with something that fits this thing." She jabbed a finger at the shortbow resting in the corner of the room, tiny even by gnome standards. "I'm thinking Pinprick, or maybe Mild Annoyance. What do you think?" She watched the paladin's face as she spoke, hoping her attempts to lighten the mood were working. It was never fun to dwell on heavy topics any longer than necessary.

Ander stifled a laugh, still very aware of the sleeping people throughout the house. He reaches a hand out to the tiny bow, poking it. "Bee-sting?" he chuckled.

"Well, you've gotten to know more about me than I normally like ta share. What is there to know about you, my little teleporting friend?" He wipes away a tear, but his genuine smile has returned.

Virra beamed at the reaction she'd got. After becoming conscious of the effect her jokes seemed to have on Ben and Sidwae, getting a sincere smile was all she had been hoping for.

His follow-up question was a little tricky, though. She folded her arms and gave an exaggerated hmmm. "Oh, I don't know. I'm twenty-seven, I normally work as a tinker, I can touch my nose with my tongue..." Actually, what would Ander want to know about her? Why she was here, maybe? Well, the answer to that was boring at best and insulting at worst. She furrowed her brow with a genuine effort to think of something to say, then abruptly stopped. "Oh, wow. I really am off my game tonight."

Breaking into a slow smile, she glanced off towards her open bag by the table. One of her fingerless gloves was lying half out of the top. With a small mental exertion, Virra lifted it into the air and let it gently fly over to Ander, where it settled into a slow orbit around his head.

"I do things like this from time to time," she told him, bringing the glove forward to poke him in the forehead.

At Ben's hug, Sidwae first stiffened before relaxing slightly, bringing her arms to wrap around him as well. A faint hum, the tune she had sung earlier could be heard again, layered under her words, "We shall both try."

Releasing Ben, she crossed her arms as she thought, "I first need to see how strongly Joane has inherited abilities from me. If it's faint, perhaps it could be viewed similar to a sorcerer. However my concern is more if her appearance begins to shift -- as it is, my own ... deception I suppose ... was a parting gift from a sister." Moving a hand across her face, one of her eyes returned to a pale yellow before fading back to the deep green, "I'll need to watch her -- from the sounds of things she and Robern have been keeping things from Anthol and I. Perhaps they didn't think much of it, but I would assume from all the parties with Accmours present, they'd have heard enough stories of rogue magic and its destructive tendencies."

With a final sigh, Sidwae turned towards the door, "I will try to think of things that can help, however for now, we still need to get through the funeral tomorrow. We'll be leaving early to get to the temple of Kelemvor, I don't know how many of your friends will join, but the other Families will be there as we were for their own funerals. I expect some of those who worked under Cyne will try to pay their respects as well."

Tanelye took the vial, flipping it this way and that to watch the water shift around, "I've been the governess for the twins about ... two months now I think? The last one was supposedly removed for displeasing Madame Sidwae." She put the vial into a pouch on her hip, standing on her tip toes to check on the twins before sitting onto her bedroll, "Lord Robern I don't think cares for me very much, given that more often than not he was with Lord Cyne anyway. However Lady Joane is quite pleasant -- the bow I recreated is one she showed me. She's quite interested in archery, I've often heard of hunts her and her brother Lord Benito have gone on when he's on his season-breaks."

Making a small motion with her hand, the illusion returned, "When I first showed Lady Joane this, she corrected me on a fair amount of details -- she's very focused on details when it comes to something she's interested in." The gnome chuckled, "When it comes to maths however ... hardly get her attention to stay for a moment."

Ander stumbles backward away from the floating glove and realises that he was hearing Virra in his mind. He jumps up to his feet and tries to process this, "What was that, you didn't do anything, there was no spell, no magic flowing, wait, can you hear me? Is that how you swapped places with the boy, what kind of wizard are you?" Ander closes his eyes for a moment and finally opens his mouth, "Huh, that's a new one to me..." He looks slightly concerned, but then releaved after a moment. "A little warning might've been good, but I don't sense anything evil, so now I'm just curious." His eyebrows raised as he thought.

She knew that she shouldn't, but Virra found herself giggling quite profusely as Ander leaped back to get away from the glove. Her laughter faded pretty quickly as his loud thoughts began to invade her mind; still, she kept the link open as he recovered from the surprise. Hearing fresh reactions to her telepathy was a pleasure Virra rarely received.

"Not a wizard, a psion," she said, bringing the glove back and letting it slip over her hand. "I draw power from my mind and use it to move things, talk to people, and teleport sometimes." To demonstrate -- or to show off -- she suddenly appeared by the table, reaching down to fish her second glove out of the bag. "I can do pretty much anything with it, but I can't sense evil things."

Cutting the link now, she smiled up at Ander. "Was that Lathander's power you were using, when you shut your eyes? Good to know he doesn't think I'm evil. I was beginning to have doubts..." She winked.

"I'll be there, but for the others I'm not sure." He thought on it, "Cate and Ty will be there, possibly Ander, I'm unsure if Lizy or Winston will attend." He sighed, "I don't know what to expect from Virra." He walked over to the door, opening it for Sidwae, "Have a good evening. Try to get some rest. Tomorrow will no doubt be a trying day for us all." He bowed slightly but respectfully.

When Sidwae had gone, Benito turned back into the study. He closed the door, leaning his back against it and sliding down to the floor. There he sat on the cold marble for a moment. Tucking his knees under his chin, he wrapped his arms around his shins. "You just have to do better. Be better. No pressure.... no... pressure."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back