News & Updates Organizational Update: Tags

Hey All,

Today, we are bringing you a quick update to the way roleplays and the search system works. Until now, we've had the following required when you submit a recruitment or roleplay thread:
  • Tags
  • Sub-Genre Filter System
Both were closed systems, meaning that to add new options, it took staff intervention. Over the years, we've come to realize that this kind of curation wasn't the best system because it meant that we couldn't keep up with the trends and tags and listings that users wanted to use for their content. The second issue was that the filter system was a poorly coded third-party add-on that caused performance issues to just display the sidebar filter that most of the site was unable to use because it didn't work well on mobile anyway.

1662163138059.png

So, instead, we've collapsed the sub-genre filter system into the board's built in tag system and improved that. Here are the updates:
  • Tags now appear on the thread list
Example:
1662163233864.png
  • Tags are clickable, filterable and completely work with the site's built in search system. Searching for the word aliens will bring up content tagged aliens.
  • Mobile users can see tags on the thread list now
1662163463210.png
  • Sub-Genres applied to existing content from the old system got converted to tags.
  • Users can now create new tags in the tag field. A future update will see new tags that don't exist sent to the moderation queue for approval to make sure spam doesn't happen.
  • Using the search system, you can include tags and exclude tags.
Please let us know down below if you have any questions or concerns <3

Attachments

• 1662163436700.png
    1662163436700.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
This seems awesome, but I've got one question because the wording confused me. What does "a future update will see new tags that don't exist" mean?

This seems awesome, but I've got one question because the wording confused me. What does "a future update will see new tags that don't exist" mean?

Whoops, sorry about. I've gone ahead and edited it. I meant to say that a future update will see new tags enter the moderation queue if they don't exist in the same to require quick approval from a staff member to make sure that spam isn't happening. This is not currently in effect.

Seems like an excellent move! Thank you for adding this!

No problem <3.

I think after so many years, it made sense to remove a piece of old and faulty code that powered the old filter and just merge them into tags, which the software naturally does, and improve on tags instead.

No problem <3.

I think after so many years, it made sense to remove a piece of old and faulty code that powered the old filter and just merge them into tags, which the software naturally does, and improve on tags instead.

Makes sense.

I was editing this into the other post, but I'll put it on the reply instead. One slight concern I have is consistency of wording. The old system had the advantage that you could at least know that "these are the usable tags" and so even if you weren't totally sure you had the same things in mind as other people, there was a limited selection you could try your luck with. Now someone might say "aliens" and another might say "space opera" and they might be looking for the same kind of roleplay, or there might even be cases of abbreviation differences or use of titles in one language versus another in a given fandom.

What exactly could be done about this matter I'm unsure of, but I wanted to bring it up since it might be a concern in the near future under the new way of doing things.

Makes sense.

I was editing this into the other post, but I'll put it on the reply instead. One slight concern I have is consistency of wording. The old system had the advantage that you could at least know that "these are the usable tags" and so even if you weren't totally sure you had the same things in mind as other people, there was a limited selection you could try your luck with. Now someone might say "aliens" and another might say "space opera" and they might be looking for the same kind of roleplay, or there might even be cases of abbreviation differences or use of titles in one language versus another in a given fandom.

What exactly could be done about this matter I'm unsure of, but I wanted to bring it up since it might be a concern in the near future under the new way of doing things.

The way I see it, Aliens does not equal a Space Opera per se. I can run a modern roleplay with sci-fi elements that happen to include aliens, though I understand your concern. Aliens and Space Opera were already tags you could apply previously, if I recall (hence why I picked aliens as an example), so you could apply both and the system wouldn't stop you. There isn't a good solution in the previous system or the new one to prevent redundant tags next to each other, but the system does hopefully allow more freedom to better correctly tag things.

In a future update, new tags will get sent to the moderation queue and a staff member can reject or approve them with a click instead of us having to curate/construct them in the backend (only an admin was able to in the past), so that way we can stop typo tags, duplicates like "Bleach" and "Awesome Anime Bleach RP" and so forth.

The way I see it, Aliens does not equal a Space Opera per se. I can run a modern roleplay with sci-fi elements that happen to include aliens, though I understand your concern. Aliens and Space Opera were already tags you could apply previously, if I recall (hence why I picked aliens as an example), so you could apply both and the system wouldn't stop you. There isn't a good solution in the previous system or the new one to prevent redundant tags next to each other, but the system does hopefully allow more freedom to better correctly tag things.

In a future update, new tags will get sent to the moderation queue and a staff member can reject or approve them with a click instead of us having to curate/construct them in the backend (only an admin was able to in the past), so that way we can stop typo tags, duplicates like "Bleach" and "Awesome Anime Bleach RP" and so forth.

Yeah the aliens and space opera thing was just the first example that came to mind. Was just trying to illustrate the point, see.

Yeah the aliens and space opera thing was just the first example that came to mind. Was just trying to illustrate the point, see.

Yeah,

We can definitely see how it goes and merge tags together in the future based on how users use them, feedback, etc. If you or anyone in the future as well want to come regularly talk to us about tags, that's also fine.

So do we still have to use pre-existing tags? Or do we just tag whatever we want?

You use whatever tags you want. Tags that already exist (because someone else used them) will get suggested, so if you type in alie, then it will suggest aliens because that one exists.

Hows your phone at 97%??? whats the secret??? Tell me Wizard personsssssss

Honestly this was needed in a way, and I am excited to see how much smoother it'll be to find newer rps! Obviously its going to probably have a few bumps at the start, maybe like people just putting in the 'Super amazing awesome rp!' as a tag but I'm sure yall on the staff team will figure it all out. Thanks for another sweet upgradeee!!!

Hows your phone at 97%??? whats the secret??? Tell me Wizard personsssssss

I depend on my phone a lot since I usually have to travel into the city for doctors and all that, since I have a medical condition and I depend on my phone for GPS to find places, stay in touch with my family, browse the site, etc. So in my bag, I keep a portable charging battery, when I'm home, I have a charger on my nightstand and one at my desk at my PC where I'm at. Modern Cellphones don't get damaged from charging, or they'd get destroyed really fast at night from us sleeping, or rather it doesn't add to the battery's natural degradation as far as I can tell from research.

So, I just keep it topped off, and I can't' live any other way 😭

Wake up babe, new RPN update just dropped. 😍

:D!

I LOVE being able to see the tags while browsing the threads.

They are all still there.

What do you miss?
Well, when you go to create an Interest Check there used to be a link to the tags list. The links are gone. I used to open the list up and pick the ones applicable.

In the list there was also a link to explanations of the tags - like the difference between GM guided, Semi sandbox and sandbox. (LOL, there were still some genres and tags I didn't know what they were. Had to look them up. Like KPOP ... still don't really know what that is. Not my generation, I suspect.)

Well, when you go to create an Interest Check there used to be a link to the tags list. The links are gone. I used to open the list up and pick the ones applicable.

In the list there was also a link to explanations of the tags - like the difference between GM guided, Semi sandbox and sandbox. (LOL, there were still some genres and tags I didn't know what they were. Had to look them up. Like KPOP ... still don't really know what that is. Not my generation, I suspect.)
Can definitely put the list back, I had archived it as part of clean up for the update since I figured people would want a more updated list and definitions but the system is now unlocked and should not be used for just genres. You should add tags that describe things about your rp like “zombies” or “royality”

Can definitely put the list back, I had archived it as part of clean up for the update since I figured people would want a more updated list and definitions but the system is now unlocked and should not be used for just genres. You should add tags that describe things about your rp like “zombies” or “royality”
I do. Looking forward to the updated list. I can be patient. Well, I hope so. Not getting any younger. Sigh ... getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back