• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [OOC] - To Stand Against the Crimson Tide

Main
Here
Characters
Here

Found this as a possible Powerbow for our Dragon-Blooded.

Livewood Heart​

Green Jade Short Powerbow (Artifact 3)​

Once, there was a great tree on a hill. It sat in the sun, and the years turned, and it was content. Then a boy came, and he spoke to the tree; he told it of his joys, and his sorrows. Of his hopes, and his dreams, and his fears. The years passed, and through good times and bad, the boy returned again and again to tell the tree of his life, and the tree was glad.
Until one day the boy came and told the tree that he must leave, and he knew not when he would return. The tree was desolate, but the boy had been chosen by the sun, and that call would not be denied. And so the tree gave unto the boy a piece of its heart, that they might always be together, no matter the distance between them.
And so the boy journeyed, and became a great hero. But before he could return, darkness came to the hill; the winds grew hot, and the sun was blocked by sheets of ash, and the tree burned. Through the piece of heartwood he carried, the boy felt the tree’s anguish, and in his grief and his anger, he took the tree’s heart and used it to fashion a bow, that he might take revenge upon those who had stolen his closest friend from him.
And yet, the tree was not truly dead, for that piece of its heart still lived, and its love tempered the boy’s anger, reminding him that death is ever a part of life, and new life springs from the dead, for such is the cycle to which all that live are bound.
Livewood Heart is a composite short powerbow made of ancient - but still living - wood and green jade, blended together with no visible seam or join. If planted in moist soil, it will put down roots and sprout branches, but these will separate easily if an Exalt attunes to the bow.
Livewood Heart has two hearthstone sockets, set into the inside of the bow’s curve, one each directly above and below the grip.

Evocations​

A Solar or Dragonblooded who attunes to Livewood Heart gains One Root Spirit at no cost.

One Root Spirit​

Cost: 1m Mins: Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Duration: 1 day
Keywords: None
Prerequisites: None
When the character uses One Root Spirit, he reaches out and plucks a branch from a nearby bush or tree, transforming it into a living arrow. This can be done a part of a normal attack with Livewood Heart without requiring a flurry or they may be saved for later, but no more than one arrow may be transformed per turn and no other bow may use these these living arrows, as they tend to latch onto any wooden or earthen surface and take root inside. If they are not planted within 1 day of being transformed, they will wither and die, becoming useless as ammunition for Livewood Heart (though perhaps an excellent source of arrow shafts for lesser bows).

Spreading Tendrils Offense​

Cost: 1m Mins: Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Duration: 1 turn
Keywords: Uniform
Prerequisites: One Root Spirit
The character's living arrow grows and changes mid-flight, branching and recombining in unpredictable organic patterns that make it extremely distracting, even to a wary foe. An attack supplemented by this evocation imposes a -2 onslaught penalty, instead of the normal -1.

Tangling Root Glamour​

Cost: 4m, 2i Mins: Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Duration: Instant
Keywords: Uniform
Prerequisites: One Root Spirit
The character's living arrow grows fiercely as it approaches the target, tangling them in a mass of rampant vegetation that makes it difficult to move. If an attack supplemented by this evocation is successful, the target is effectively prone. They may not be literally knocked to the ground, but the vines that pin them to a wall or bind their elbows to their knees impose exactly the same penalty, and that penalty may be removed by a combat movement action, equivalent to "rise from prone."

Hungry Roots Consumption​

Cost: 8m, 1wp Mins: Essence 2
Type: Simple
Duration: 1+ turns
Keywords: Decisive Only
Prerequisites: Spreading Tendrils Offense, Tangling Root Glamour

The character's living arrow latches onto a target, seeking out their blood and rooting within, whereupon it quickly devours this powerful source of life energy to fuel its out-of-control growth.
This charm allows the character to use a special Difficulty 3 gambit. If the gambit succeeds, the arrow takes root in the target's body and begins growing, dealing one health level of lethal damage immediately, and an additional health level of damage on each of the target's turns, continuing until the target has suffered damage equal to the wielder's Dexterity. The target also suffers a -2 penalty to all actions, and a -1 penalty to Parry and Evasion, for the remainder of the scene, due to the pain of the living plants expanding through their body. If the target is killed by the damage from this Evocation, or while the damage from it is ongoing, plants completely overtake their entire body, sprouting from every orifice in a grisly display of nature run amuck.
This evocation may be used once per scene unless reset by the wielder of Livewood Heart drawing a living arrow from the mass of vegetation that sprouted from a victim killed under the effects of Hungry Root Consumption.

I won't forbid it, but that's one of those Merits that's in there for people who have nothing else to spend Merits on and really care about nothing except being excellent at murder. It's the most expensive possible way to get a bonus die on Join Battle. If you take the Awareness Excellency you'll get way more dice. There are other Charms that add more to JB. Take Danger Sense only if you have leftover Merit dots and can't see anything you want to spend them on. Nothing prevents you from having a much stronger danger sense without having Danger Sense.

Merits
Artifact - ●●
- Weapon, bow

Backing - ●●

Familiar - ●●

Language - ●
- Dragon tongue

Quick Draw - ●

Resources - ●●

This is a good start!

I don't think Artifact weapons come in flavours less than 3 dots.

Backing requires you specify what organization you're a member of, and what duties you have within that organization. I assume you have the Backing of House Akechi, and are a mid-ranking official in a moderately powerful organization.

Dragontongue, huh? Now I have to invent a Mnemon NPC or a tendy salon of Realm-influence intellectuals just so you have someone to speak it to. I'll keep in mind you know a little bit of a very weird dialect of Old Realm. You'll occasionally get very confusing partial translations when spirits speak. If you try to reply, you might be able to communicate simple concepts.

Quick Draw is a trap. No mortal ST will ever actually remember there's a defense penalty for drawing your weapon in combat. You're Exalted, you can stunt your way into drawing a weapon without a penalty.

Resources 2 is not a bad income, and reasonable for someone with a job represented by Backing 2. You live very well by the standards of your village, and your family is successful but not incredibly wealthy.

Will you be buying any additional dots with XP?

This is also only 10 of your 13 Merit dots.

I don't think Artifact weapons come in flavours less than 3 dots.
Screenshot_20240318_224648_Drive.jpg
Although now that I know I 3 more dots than I thought I had, I might bump that up to 3.
Backing requires you specify what organization you're a member of, and what duties you have within that organization. I assume you have the Backing of House Akechi, and are a mid-ranking official in a moderately powerful organization.
That's what I was originally assuming. Being able to use her House name as leverage in certain situations. Or would that be an Influence thing? These two confused me... 😶

Dragontongue, huh? Now I have to invent a Mnemon NPC or a tendy salon of Realm-influence intellectuals just so you have someone to speak it to. I'll keep in mind you know a little bit of a very weird dialect of Old Realm. You'll occasionally get very confusing partial translations when spirits speak. If you try to reply, you might be able to communicate simple concepts.
I figured it fit cause Dragon Blooded. Maybe it was something traditionally passed down through her family. With an extra dot I think I'll throw Old Realm in there as well.
Quick Draw is a trap. No mortal ST will ever actually remember there's a defense penalty for drawing your weapon in combat. You're Exalted, you can stunt your way into drawing a weapon without a penalty.
Hmmm.... maybe I won't do that then.
Resources 2 is not a bad income, and reasonable for someone with a job represented by Backing 2. You live very well by the standards of your village, and your family is successful but not incredibly wealthy.
Well, I figure the way Sayuri sees it is, just because she's of noble blood it doesn't mean she's different from the others. She's not an entitled brat. She's more than happy to get her hands dirty if need be.
Will you be buying any additional dots with XP?
Not at this moment, I don't think so?

A demense is a place of power.
Although now that I know I 3 more dots than I thought I had, I might bump that up to 3.
You'll notice that list doesn't contain weapons. All the printed weapons and armour are 3 dots or higher. 1-2 dots is for utility items, useful things that aren't quite so potent as weapons. Medicine kits with potent elixirs, quills that take dictation, seeing stones, memory stones, etc. Potentially very useful! Weapons and armour are always 3 dots or higher.

I figured it fit cause Dragon Blooded. Maybe it was something traditionally passed down through her family. With an extra dot I think I'll throw Old Realm in there as well.
It's actually a relatively new tongue, invented only a few centuries ago by a powerful family in the Realm. It's currently trendy amongst poets, artists, and intellectuals in the Threshold (so the islands far to the north of your home).

That's what I was originally assuming. Being able to use her House name as leverage in certain situations. Or would that be an Influence thing? These two confused me... 😶
Backing is a job in an organization. Influence is who will listen when you speak, and who will grant you an audience if you come knocking. Backing is being a member of the Queen's Court, with a job she trusts you to do well and supports you in doing. Influence is being able to get a private audience with her, and have her take your advice seriously.

You'll notice that list doesn't contain weapons. All the printed weapons and armour are 3 dots or higher. 1-2 dots is for utility items, useful things that aren't quite so potent as weapons. Medicine kits with potent elixirs, quills that take dictation, seeing stones, memory stones, etc. Potentially very useful! Weapons and armour are always 3 dots or higher.
Oooooohhh..... so, should I put it at 3 or 4 dot for good measure then?
It's actually a relatively new tongue, invented only a few centuries ago by a powerful family in the Realm. It's currently trendy amongst poets, artists, and intellectuals in the Threshold (so the islands far to the north of your home).
Oh, okay then. Is it still worth having?
Backing is a job in an organization. Influence is who will listen when you speak, and who will grant you an audience if you come knocking. Backing is being a member of the Queen's Court, with a job she trusts you to do well and supports you in doing. Influence is being able to get a private audience with her, and have her take your advice seriously.
Aahhhhh... so it's definitely Influence I was looking for.

Oooooohhh..... so, should I put it at 3 or 4 dot for good measure then?
More dots = greater number of more powerful Evocations. Evocations are like Charms that come from your Artifacts. If you don't care about those, don't go above 3 dots. If you want your Artifact to have legendary Evocations, go all the way up to 5 dots.
Oh, okay then. Is it still worth having?
No, but if you take it I'll do my best to make it worth having. Someone important will speak it, and be delighted you do, too. Or it will make you seem erudite and cultured at fancy parties. The PCs my players create are always the right characters for the story, so whatever little quirks they have will turn out to be important.

No, but if you take it I'll do my best to make it worth having. Someone important will speak it, and be delighted you do, too. Or it will make you seem erudite and cultured at fancy parties. The PCs my players create are always the right characters for the story, so whatever little quirks they have will turn out to be important.
I just thought it would be interesting.

I would like clarification on the Charm Towering Beast Form. Do I have to be in a beast form in order to assume the Legendary Size, or can I be in my DBT form and do so?

Nevermind. Looking closer at the Charm it does say that I shapeshift into "the form of one of Creation’s greatest beasts. She shapeshifts into an animal form with Legendary Size." That doesn't sound like I can do so, unless Random Word Random Word says otherwise.

Your Spirit Form is an Elephant, yes? Elephants are pretty big! You can certainly shapeshift into an Elephant on your turn, and I have no problem with your Elephant being Legendary Size. It can be some ancient species of elephant that's practically Yeddim sized.

Prehensile Trunk (2) — Innate
The mutant has a prehensile trunk, tongue, or similar appendage. It’s a fully functional limb — though it suffers a −1 offhand penalty — and a light weapon with the Bashing, Brawl, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling, and Natural tags.
I totally forgot your trunk was a weapon! You didn't need to dodge those axes at all, you can have those motes for the Dex excellency back. You just knocked them aside with your trunk, or even threw the rock with your trunk while holding your hammer.

Edit: Oh, I see, you wanted to keep your DBT mutation dots while in Elephant form? Yeah, unfortunately you get war form or giant animal form, not both.

I was hoping to keep my DBT form of being humanoid but with the Legendary size, but I was able to make do with my regular level of awesome.
I totally forgot your trunk was a weapon! You didn't need to dodge those axes at all, you can have those motes for the Dex excellency back. You just knocked them aside with your trunk, or even threw the rock with your trunk while holding your hammer.
Thanks! I appreciate that!

Psychie Psychie , there is the Essence 2 Charm Mountainous Spirit Expression that lets you get the Legendary size in, I believe, any form you want.

Those lists are always so loooooooong😭😭😭

What do you mean long?! I only have 89 Charms on my list (for Essence 1-2 Charms, except for Survival, which is Apocalyptic)

Random Word Random Word I posted a stunt for Droplet's defense. And I posted her Shape Necromancy earlier, hopefully, that spell, if successful, will clear most of the field of battle.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what all can I spend XP on? I'm starting out with 80, right?
No BP. You start with 55 XP to spend at character creation.
TraitExperience Cost
Attributes10 per dot
Caste/Favored Attributes8 per dot
Abilities5 per dot
Caste/Favored Abilities4 per dot
New Specialty2
Merits2 per dot
Willpower6 per dot
New Charm, Spell, or Evocation12
New Caste/Favored Charm or Spell10

Craft variants welcome. At a minimum, Craft fields are specialties, not separate skills.

Increase Attributes, Abilities, Buy Merits, Charms, Increase Willpower, Buy Specialties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back