• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [OOC] - To Stand Against the Crimson Tide

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Aiming for this Archon of Air with a Withering attack
8 Successes to hit her DV of 6
Damage of a normal sling is +7; what is h er soak?
Sorry about that, 6. You also have to contend with a -2 penalty for the obscuring mist, unless you can negate that!

Last edited:
I'd suggest you also look at Artifacts, to see if and what kind of Artifacts you might want her to have.

Will try to post some ideas later for things you might want to check.
Will do. I can't remember if it was you or Sherwood that mentioned something about a Jade Bow?

Don't worry about Flaws. They're not very important, and they are not Merits. By all means make your character flawed, it makes the story more interesting, but not with Flaws.

Sorry about that, 6. You also have to contend with a -2 penalty for the obscuring mist, unless you can negate that!
I have a ton of Essence Sight Charms active, so I should be able to see her well enough.

Even with zero successes on my attack roll, do I still get the +1 initiative for a successful attack?

Cheer Up Fighting GIF by Lazy Corgi

Even with zero successes on my attack roll, do I still get the +1 initiative for a successful attack?

Why did you roll just 4 dice? Your weapon's damage is 10, plus 4 extra successes above his Parry, minus 6 from his Soak should be down to 8 dice. If I calculated correctly.

It does really help if you show your work when computing dice pools. When you just quote a number and roll, I have to decide if I want to reverse engineer the pool to check if it's correct, or just let it ride and assume you got it right. When you break it out, it's fast and easy to double check it's correct. If Red Shadow Claws is right, go ahead and roll more damage dice!

I think Sjet's weapon damage is 9, though. 2 Strength + 7 for a mundane sling. You add Strength to Thrown damage, right? Or is that only for melee?

It does really help if you show your work when computing dice pools. When you just quote a number and roll, I have to decide if I want to reverse engineer the pool to check if it's correct, or just let it ride and assume you got it right. When you break it out, it's fast and easy to double check it's correct. If Red Shadow Claws is right, go ahead and roll more damage dice!

I think Sjet's weapon damage is 9, though. 2 Strength + 7 for a mundane sling. You add Strenth to Thrown damage, right? Or is that only for melee?

It's why I show my work when computing dice pools, so others can check it.

I recall you said we can declare one die stunts, but what about two die and three die stunts? or do you decide those? I didn't want to presume anything over 1 die stunt, though for her Shape Necromancy action, it still wouldn't have allowed her to cast her spell. She still needs 7 more motes.
And now I see I made a mistake in her Shape Necromancy. Calling on Whispers doesn't give you 3 dice, it grants 3 Necromantic Motes. Oh well.

I'm not sure; I didn't want to roll too many dice and look bad for that. I can always add to it if I should,

A Demense is a natural place of power, and a Manse is a structure built to harness that power. A Demense, and thus a Manse, can have different underlying power sources: Air, Earth, Water, Fire, Wood, Solar, Lunar, Abyssal, Sidereal. Maybe other more exotic options, too, but those are the main ones. A Demense could be a plateau that's always sunny and warm, no matter the weather. A deep cenote fed by a spring with miraculous healing properties. A truly massive old tree, and any who fall asleep between its roots dream of the future. A Manse is when you build a terraced garden fed by the cenote to grow potent medicinal herbs, and also produce a magic stone that makes the meals you cook banish disease spirits in those who eat them.
Manse - Do you want a magical palace? This is a magical palace. Or maybe a religious site, or a vinyard, or a forge. It's a magical building of some kind. It also grants you a magic stone you can carry around with you that does neat things.
The Hearthstone is a magic rock that forms in the Manse. When you attune to the Manse (make it yours) you get to keep the rock and walk around with it. This is nice, because you can't always be in your magic palace/plantation/forge/theatre/whatever it is. If you want your family's tea plantation to be supernaturally amazing, you can make it a Manse. Or I guess an uncapped Demense, which could still spontaneously generate a Hearthstone, but probably you want a Manse.

I recall you said we can declare one die stunts, but what about two die and three die stunts? or do you decide those?
I'm so glad you asked! You do your own stunt awards. Award yourselves minor stunts for any roll that you describe. I expect you'll always get that. Once per scene you can award yourself a Major stunt. Twice per story you can award yourself a Defining stunt.

Equusheart Equusheart
Page 318 of the Dragon-Blooded book has Daring Venture, a Green Jade powerbow. While the history is tied to the Realm, it's possible that a similar bow is available.
It's not a combat bow, so much as a bow with Evoctions that allow you to traverse the wild, and to summon a giant wolf as a possible Familiar.

The Hearthstone is a magic rock that forms in the Manse. When you attune to the Manse (make it yours) you get to keep the rock and walk around with it. This is nice, because you can't always be in your magic palace/plantation/forge/theatre/whatever it is. If you want your family's tea plantation to be supernaturally amazing, you can make it a Manse. Or I guess an uncapped Demense, which could still spontaneously generate a Hearthstone, but probably you want a Manse.
So, if I set down this magic rock it makes a palace or whatever wherever I'm at?

Err, no, but that's not a thing the magic rock couldn't do. So basically first one finds a magical place. Somewhere where the geomantic lines of Creation concentrate some kind of essence and something remarkable results. We call this a Demesne. Then you decide this natural wonder is neat but not very useful, so you hire a bunch of geomancers. Geomancers are engineers skilled in... super feng shui. They help you landscape and redesign the area to further shape the geomancy, and as part of that you build a Manse. A Manse can be any building, or in some cases no building at all, but it requires the conscious arrangement of the features of the land to concentrate the magical power of this place. The Manse can't be moved, because the Manse doesn't do anything except concentrate, amplify, or modify the existing magics of this specific place. The Manse produces a stone at its core, and that stone is kind of the refined and condensed power of this place. A little piece of the essence of this place that the owner of the Manse can take with them wherever they go. That's a Hearthstone.

Does that make any sense? Think of a Manse like a magnifying glass for naturally occuring magic. It's only worth building a Manse somewhere where the magic is already intense enough to harness, like a wind turbine. If you build it where the wind rarely blows strongly, you're wasting your time.

Err, no, but that's not a thing the magic rock couldn't do. So basically first one finds a magical place. Somewhere where the geomantic lines of Creation concentrate some kind of essence and something remarkable results. We call this a Demesne. Then you decide this natural wonder is neat but not very useful, so you hire a bunch of geomancers. Geomancers are engineers skilled in... super feng shui. They help you landscape and redesign the area to further shape the geomancy, and as part of that you build a Manse. A Manse can be any building, or in some cases no building at all, but it requires the conscious arrangement of the features of the land to concentrate the magical power of this place. The Manse can't be moved, because the Manse doesn't do anything except concentrate, amplify, or modify the existing magics of this specific place. The Manse produces a stone at its core, and that stone is kind of the refined and condensed power of this place. A little piece of the essence of this place that the owner of the Manse can take with them wherever they go. That's a Hearthstone.

Does that make any sense? Think of a Manse like a magnifying glass for naturally occuring magic. It's only worth building a Manse somewhere where the magic is already intense enough to harness, like a wind turbine. If you build it where the wind rarely blows strongly, you're wasting your time.
Yeah, I think so. I was basically curious if it was similar to the Magnificent Mansion in D&D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back