Viewpoint My age is making RP impossible.

For me, the most important reason to decline teenagers as roleplaying partners is the way in which teens form their stories and characters. It's not so much an issue of quality, even. Some kids and teens are pretty decent writers. It's a matter of perspective and emphasis. You'll get it when you're older.

I can roleplay in a group setting with younger people, especially if it's a general audience type of roleplays.

More mature roleplays though, no. I was young when various people, some older than me tried getting nsfw roleplays out of me at a young age, some succeeding and it still makes me ill to think about until this day. So I'm very careful about how I interact with younger people in these spaces.

Also so many good points above. Life experience plays into things. Sometimes I look back on how I used to roleplay topics that I still RP today, namely romance and how having an actual romance coloured my perception of romance and how things actually work instead of an 11 year old kid who just watched Disney Channel shows a lot. The quality definitely is different.

I have a very open mind to a lot of opinions and peoples. I don't tend to discriminate based on people, or see any need to discriminate people, from what their interests are. There're obvious legal exceptions to my opinion due to how laws in most western-civilized nations tend to maintain things, but here on the roleplaying forum I am open to any roleplayers so long as they know what they're doing and can handle the topic with maturity and professionalism.

I do know that expecting professionalism from a hobby is a bit wonky to begin with, but I have a hard time dealing with memes and other lollygagging behaviour with few, although individual exceptions. My issue tend to be more miniscule when it comes to the young, and not exactly related to RPN in the least. Joining a discord server and talking with individuals who behave as children in voice chat is beyond my mental abilities, and chatting with people with pre-pubescent voices is a personal pet peeve of mine.

That being said, the agegate is understandable as the norm is what social rules are based around, and exceptions are usually undervalued and glossed over. If everyone got unique treatment and exceptions based on their behaviour, then the site would become very chaotic and could potentially involve legal issues, I suppose.

I hope you age fast, Baka.

Last edited:
That being said, the agegate is understandable as the norm is what rules are based around, and exceptions are usually undervalued and glossed over.
While I'm trying to avoid commenting, I have to say this one part is either extremely misleading or plain wrong. The rules say nothing of roleplay with minors, quite on the contrary they explicitly state that the presence of minors of this site should be kept in mind. The most it says is that because of this, sexually explicit content and extreme gore that does not have a spoiler around it is forbidden- but this is irrespective of whether there is an actual minor in that specific thread.

One can suggest that the average minor is unable to deal with those themes or is too immature to have a sufficiently solid perspective for it to be safe to expose them to darker content. That is a stance I strongly disagree with, but if you have it, you have it. But that is not the stance the rules of the site take on this issue.

Idea Idea , Your opinion is understandable and from your perspective, what I said certainly holds some weight. Though I didn't exactly mean it in that context. What I meant was more aligned with the common opinion and socially established rules rather than the rules of the site, if that makes some sense. I have the personal experience that most people I talk with on any forum (be it roleplay or otherwise) base their rules around the idea that most "children" are unable to properly handle most issues, usually glossing over those few who can.

I am, as previously mentioned, not necessarily amongst that group. I simply said that agegating is understandable from a third-party perspective.

Ah, in that case it's alright. Though if it is not too much trouble, I would ask that you add the "social" part of "social rules", as generally when someone says "the rules" on a website they are referring to the website's rules (unless the discussion itself prompts a different kind of rules be the assumed, which this one doesn't).

Ah, in that case it's alright. Though if it is not too much trouble, I would ask that you add the "social" part of "social rules", as generally when someone says "the rules" on a website they are referring to the website's rules (unless the discussion itself prompts a different kind of rules be the assumed, which this one doesn't).

Not an issue.

it's frustrating as an adult when a lot of people looking for RPs are underage/rather immature
so to be honest, I don't think it's uncalled for to be wary/unwilling to RP with someone who's not of a certain age

Hmm... It is a preference based on each writer alone. Some adults do not care while some feel uncomfortable roleplaying with a minor, while others have their own reason to want to roleplay within their age group. For me, it is the fact of maturity level and I click well with writers who are the same age as I am, brainstorming and writing flow much easier.

Absolutely, positively never will I play with someone under the age of 18. There are just way too many potential legal pitfalls, to say nothing of concerns over maturity. I am 54 years old. I actually prefer my partners to be at least 25, due to the maturity thing. I may well be the oldest person on this site; would not be the first time. I'm just not cool with the idea of writing that far out of my age group. I'm sorry you have difficulties finding partners, OP, but even the way you phrased the initial post is a massive turn-off to me.

The only thing that people should judge you is on the content of your writing, not your age. That discrimination just sounds like people don't want to get in trouble for smut.

Just don't tell people your age. Easy fix.

It's not just the smut, and it's not discrimination. I don't want to play with people that are immature. The human brain doesn't even stop developing until the age of 25. I don't like playing with minors and I have the right not to do so. I have quite literally never met a player under 18 that wasn't really immature and the RP they did reflected that lack of maturity and world experience.

It's not just the smut, and it's not discrimination. I don't want to play with people that are immature. The human brain doesn't even stop developing until the age of 25. I don't like playing with minors and I have the right not to do so. I have quite literally never met a player under 18 that wasn't really immature and the RP they did reflected that lack of maturity and world experience.

It is discrimination, whether you think it acceptable discrimination or not falls down to you. You are by the definition of the word, discriminating on RP partners based on their age. You could have good reasons for doing so, but a duck is a duck; don't try to call it something it's not.

The only thing that people should judge you is on the content of your writing, not your age. That discrimination just sounds like people don't want to get in trouble for smut.

It's not a discrimitory or smut issue as this forum do not allow for that content. I think for most people in their late twenties and older find it awkward to relate with someone so young. Imagine being a parent, would you want your teenage child going back and forth with someone twice their age?

It's not a discrimitory or smut issue as this forum do not allow for that content. I think for most people in their late twenties and older find it awkward to relate with someone so young. Imagine being a parent, would you want your teenage child going back and forth with someone twice their age?
Given I grew up role-playing, if I had a kid in that hobby I would observe them carefully but no, I would not bar it. I would not have lifelong friends I met when I was twelve regardless.

It's not discriminaton. I am not denying them to RP with others, I am not treating them poorly. I am merely setting a boundary and saying 'no thank you'. That's my right per the rules of this site. Methinks that some of you protest too much. Please find people in your age group to play with.

Discrimination
: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
This is a debate I’ve heard many times before and while I understand with anyone’s hesitation to RP with people they don’t want to, I fundamentally don’t agree with it. Treat people by their merits as collaborative writers and not two numbers next to their name. Again, the solution for people seems to me to hide their age, which sucks but it’s the only reason to not face such discrimination on role-playing.

If I find someone has misled me as to their age, not only will I break off the RP, I will report it to the modmins. It's fine for you to disagree, but my position on this is not going to shift. I am not interested in interacting with minors online. And that's a healthy boundary.

That said, it appears we've been caught in a thread necro. So the person asking for advice has probably already moved on by now making this conversation effectively worthless.

P.S. I'm not saying you have to change Nev nor that you don't have the right to do so, just that I fundamentally disagree with your conclusion as someone who has been in this hobby for a long time and has made lifelong friends on both sides of the aisle.

Didn't say it was? But alas like I said, we should move on.

I have to agree with Bells of Nevermore, by not interacting with minors online is a healthy thing to consider but if I am approached by one looking for advice in writing, I would be pleased to help but our interactions would be as that.

Writing is entirely a different thing. I am happy to pass what I know about that particular skillset, including info on how to follow through and publish something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back