Viewpoint My age is making RP impossible.

For a site supposedly full of positivism it will never fail to surprise me how discriminatory and unwelcoming it can be with its language.

For a site supposedly full of positivism it will never fail to surprise me how discriminatory and unwelcoming it can be with its language.

I think the site is pretty positive but I could be biased. If you see something that you feel is discriminatory and unwelcoming, you should report it. The worst that will happen is that the staff might rule that it is not rule-breaking. I know I wouldn't want anyone to feel how you described.

I think the site is pretty positive but I could be biased. If you see something that you feel is discriminatory and unwelcoming, you should report it. The worst that will happen is that the staff might rule that it is not rule-breaking. I know I wouldn't want anyone to feel how you described.
It's nothing rule-breaking by my eyes, I'm just seeing a trend based on this thread and others. Some conversations I've had indicate some concern, but it is likely objectively in the smaller scale of problems to address. I wouldn't worry about it too much, Wiz.

I mean I'd be cool with that.
I've been in groups where mid teens and adults got dwarfed by early teens and below, that wrote between 10 lines to 50 lines with a varying ratio of mental maturity. My only issue would be how one actually interacts. For example if a kid joined a RP, did something stupid IC, then tried throwing ya under the bus to a GM to get a out of jail free card, I'd remove them.

Depending on severity such as if they powergamed, it could very well to as high as the whole RP, any sequels/prequels, or all RPs I might do. But you'd really have to go out of your way. You see, I'm not always keen on starting dark themes if a kid is around, with exception of if they join in later or I already want to commit to my idea. Just skim it. But equally so, I believe in advisory.

I view the situation as this: just like streaming a game, or narrating questionable content like some r/nosleep entries, I feel it the same as a writing form. Essentially, it's the parent's job to regulate content, yada yada yada. And unrestricted access online, rather than listing sites outright for it to lock out, is pretty much their problem. Especially annoying for the lazy types that could ask you something along the sides of "could you not [this or that]? That'd be great." Nope. Imma be real you. Depending on how it's done or if it's aggressive, they'll probably get trolled on a great nomadic meme war. One of which may or may not amass in number of other parties involved if they throw up their opinion or side as well. Been awhile, but I can still turn them into a joke if I try.

So in the end, if you make an acceptable CS, regardless of your age, you'll probably get in. Whatever happens after that ain't my problem. I'm not one's guardian, parent, nor relative. I'm not obligated nor compensated to doing their jobs for them. Now certain elements would probably be censored or blocked for courtesy, but we do this the rite of passage way my bruh. We don't do the creep dance while asking for ages, like let's be real here and I understand most are not that bad, but they gotta know that they're peaking on that creepy scale right? It's sorta like asking "so yeah... You a girl?" Or "you wanna RP romance?" Though I could see a problem if it was a RP with two people or three at most. If my perspective didn't stop me doing it, then if I somehow did 1x1s and that happened, I'd be a evangelist.

But like, as I mentioned in another thread awhile ago, I can get a bit spookstered. Not, by age, grammar, etc. You see again, when I'm actually going about not with a dark theme or it starts off miniscule and might escalate, then suddenly we get a "housewife", or child soldiers on "tha stuff" having lots of pillaging in a raided village. Naw bruh, I'm more scared of that kid now. Pay the ten foot tall bagpipe madman ignoring your MG fire no mind, we gotta do something with the other guy. That kid is gonna wipe us all out.

Now, I'm not saying that it isn't a bit weird to roleplay with someone who's probably in middle school, but I do find that a lot of people find age to be a priority. A simple priority that I just can't do.

...also, regarding that other bit, I guess I'm just subject to the idea of age relating to maturity. If I were to walk into a chatroom full of strangers and type something in general, I would most likely sound like I'm 25. (First number that came to mind.)

Going back to what I was saying, I guess it's fine to have a preference, but I get a little tired of hearing "how old are you" in chats, as if that's their one agenda. I'm just looking for a little breathing room where I can roleplay without being subjected to an interview because I come off as a bit young.

...I got off topic, didn't I?

To answer your question, this just happened to me recently:
I was setting up a roleplay with another member.
I shoot over the character sheet I had. No big deal. Just one I made a while ago.
First response that comes back: "How old are you?"
After cautiously navigating the question as not to tell them my whole life story, this person made it clear that they weren't comfortable with my age.
So I left. After saying I would, that is.

My problem isn't that people get uncomfortable, but that they feel so unsettled by someone like me roleplaying with them that they request I leave.
I'm just saying that I wish people would prioritize age a little less. Just a little.
Now, I'm all for somebody requesting a writing sample. I can understand wanting maturity.
But is age really that big of a deal?

Maybe I'm just ranting. I dunno. I tried to answer as well as I could.
I'm going to use science. Yes. Yes, age matters very much. Especially if you are in middle school. When you are around the ages of 13,14,15,16. Those are the key ages where your brain is developing and a lot of hormonal changes are happening. Hence why kids around this age are so moody. It's a turn off dealing with unpredictability. No one, who is a middle schooler, could ever type in a chat and sound like a twenty five year old. Your frontal lobe is not even finished developing yet. Your brain, literally the part that controls impulse control is hay wire right now. If ,heaven forbid, someone actually thought you were twenty five ; then that person is probably a pedophile. I'd be careful. To you, your writing skills may be something you are proud of and that's great, however I'm going to say that person was easily able to pick up on cue's that you were in fact a pre teen and that tells me your writing still needs work.

You wont gain any respect spouting narcissistic whining. Instead find a platform more geared towards your age.

You need to seriously humble yourself and accept that people have their reasons for not wanting to write with you.

Find people within your own niche. Also, no one wants a role play disrupted by a disgruntled parent. It's happened before. I've heard horror stories.Please, please, be safe on the internet.

I'm going to use science. Yes. Yes, age matters very much. Especially if you are in middle school. When you are around the ages of 13,14,15,16. Those are the key ages where your brain is developing and a lot of hormonal changes are happening. Hence why kids around this age are so moody. It's a turn off dealing with unpredictability. No one, who is a middle schooler, could ever type in a chat and sound like a twenty five year old. Your frontal lobe is not even finished developing yet. Your brain, literally the part that controls impulse control is hay wire right now. If ,heaven forbid, someone actually thought you were twenty five ; then that person is probably a pedophile. I'd be careful. To you, your writing skills may be something you are proud of and that's great, however I'm going to say that person was easily able to pick up on cue's that you were in fact a pre teen and that tells me your writing still needs work.

You wont gain any respect spouting narcissistic whining. Instead find a platform more geared towards your age.

You need to seriously humble yourself and accept that people have their reasons for not wanting to write with you.

Find people within your own niche. Also, no one wants a role play disrupted by a disgruntled parent. It's happened before. I've heard horror stories.Please, please, be safe on the internet.
...Yeah, just a heads up, this post is at least a year and a half old, give or take. A lot has happened in that time! This post, to be painfully, painfully blunt, sort of served as a bitch-slap across the face. Shortly after posting this, I sort of regretted it, but I did learn a lot, mostly about myself. In the 1.5ish years that followed, I came to terms with a lot of aspects about myself, namely my personality and mental/emotional state - they aren't ideal, but they could be worse - and shortly after that, I started seeing some really good things coming from it, including and not at all limited to an uptick in fantastic roleplays... that died pretty quickly, unfortunately, but that isn't the point. Don't just think that I'm writing you off on this: I get it. Everything you said is valid. I've been trying to work towards being less entitled, and I think I've been doing a fairly decent job, but hey, always room for improvement. And trust me when I say I am 100% certified to bail out and report some fools if I think they're a pedo. Haven't been there yet, and I certainly don't plan to be, but I'm always prepared.

To be perfectly honest, up until about a minute ago, I had completely forgotten about this thread. So... in a weird way, thanks?

This is a pleasant conclusion to this thread <3 I'm happy to hear this. Also I'm happy YOU ARE SAFE! <3 Writers just looking out for writers is all. I just got flash backs of when I was your age and rping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back